• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS5]Sound system or headphones?

Sound system or headphones?

• Sound system

Votes: 54 36.7%
  • Headphones

Votes: 89 60.5%
  • Mute

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

ancelotti

Object based 3d audio is already built into Windows. Sony Tempest is just another brand name for HRTF. You can use Windows Sonic for Headphones for free, or pay to use DTS/Dolby if you want their profiles, which use the same API but are tuned a little differently. You can plug in a pair of headphones and compare them right now: - that's all it takes, no special software or anything.

It's crazy how much mileage Sony is
getting off something that is pretty old and baked into Xbox and PC for almost 3 years.

Tarin02543

I currently use high end AKG headphones with an Asus soundcard in my PC.

What would be the best way of connecting these headphones to my ps5? Are there headphone amplifiers that passthrough hdmi?

Polelock

I use both. Due to kids its hard to play as loud as a want some times especially when my ps4 pro sound like a jetengine in some games.

I use ps4 gold headset and I like them but i will buy the new ones to ps5 for better 3d audio. Playing with headset is really Nice even if the surround system feels awesome with the bass at higher volumes.

I changed the thermal paste and pads on mine, I never ever hear it. Ghost of Tsushima barely had the fan running

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A decent sound system over some dogshit headphones any day.

Anyone taking that position hasn't tried a good set of headphones with proper positional audio. It can be better, and we are talking further enhancements here with hardware and software. Remember, we only have 2 ears.....

Good headhones cost $200-300, good audio system is $10k+ and lack of neighbours. I dreamed of an audio system once, but when I discovered how expensive headphones sound I stopped bothering.

Nah you can get a decent 5.1 surround setup for $3000. Also the neighbours thing is a myth. A good setup sounds pretty good at lower volumes as well. Also you could just buy a decent pair of stereo speakers for under $1000 and get most of the benefits, then buy more later if you need.

HE1NZ

Banned
Nah you can get a decent 5.1 surround setup for $3000. Also the neighbours thing is a myth. A good setup sounds pretty good at lower volumes as well. Also you could just buy a decent pair of stereo speakers for under $1000 and get most of the benefits, then buy more later if you need.
Decent is what you get for that price. $300 headphones are going to sound better. Also if you're listening at lower volumes then you don't care about dynamic range. Why do you even need a $3000 system in the first place? TV speakers sound okay at low volumes too.

I always game with headphones. That's what I'll be doing with the PS5. I'm still on the fence with the Pulse Elites though.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Anyone taking that position hasn't tried a good set of headphones with proper positional audio. It can be better, and we are talking further enhancements here with hardware and software. Remember, we only have 2 ears.....
Headphones just get annoying to wear after a little bit.

EverydayBeast EverydayBeast staying consistent there with some of the worst takes possible. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Humdinger

I know a full surround sound setup would be better, but it's too much trouble and noise, and it sort of takes over the whole room. I've just used TV speakers for the last few years. I'm looking forward to the 3D audio through headphones. That'll be a big step up for me.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
But Sony can only go on something when the hardware supports it. 2016 for the Pro, so now is the first time in your 3 years they have a chance to release this.

I think if you read the technical side of what they are trying to do, you might realize that they are trying to improve on what is on the market currently.

Elog

Kind of strange question. A good sound system is the best but that comes at a high price plus it makes a lot of sound :)

You need to spend 1,000+ USD to beat good headphones and you get good headphones for significantly less than that.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Get yourself a decent pair of headphones with a proper AMP. Some upper mid-range enthusiast grade headphones will thrash whatever your cheapo home theater system can put out.

Beyerdynamic DT1770 or Denon D7200 on an NFB 11.28 amp.

Elog

Get yourself a decent pair of headphones with a proper AMP. Some upper mid-range enthusiast grade headphones will thrash whatever your cheapo home theater system can put out.

I run with the D7200 - love them. I love good sound so I have a good sound system as well but as both you and I mentioned, a good sound system costs real money so one cannot really compare.

DonF

I'm not sending my ear pics to cerny for nothing! good headphones all the way!
I hope the ps5 has optical output to use my DAC

RasAlGhoul

5.1.2 system here. I only do headphones when gaming with friends. Then it’s wireless Hyper X Cloud Flight for the convenience.

Rambone

I will be going with the new headphones for the PS5. While I have a nice sound bar system I prefer to use my earbuds or headphones because I will typically use voice chat features. I can use chat while having my sound bar on but I prefer not to be a dickhead and let everyone in the lobby or chat have to listen to my music or gameplay when I talk or am active since I find it annoying myself. I prefer earbuds over headphones for long gaming sessions as the earbuds are more comfortable and do not mess with my hair.

The equipment I currently use with my PS4 that I enjoy quite a bit
Headphones: Philips Fidelio X2HR paired with a Creative Sound Blaster G6 dac/amp for enhanced audio quality.
Earbuds: Creative Aurvana Trio. I plug these straight into the controller since they sound magical all on their own and have a competent inline mic.

The new PS5 headphones will actually be somewhat of an upgrade. After some careful research the sound should be pretty close to my current setup but way more convenient as I do not have to use a separate dac/amp and run a cable across my room and be tethered to it by my headphone. One last comment, I find headphones and ear buds to be way more immersive than my sound bar.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

A separate/receiver would work I guess (specially since the ps5 doesn't have a optical out). Unless you mean plugging your headphones to a controller but that would be crazy as the quality is crap.

Tschumi

No point not using headphones. Just like you shouldn't listen to music with earbuds if you can afford some legit 'phones.

Self

Kinda impressed headphones won.
I'll give you a clue. It's way, way cheaper then the real thing.
Also it's way more convenient for most home situation.

Headphones and Stereo Setups will always be the inferior solution, but a viable solutions nevertheless.

A separate/receiver would work I guess (specially since the ps5 doesn't have a optical out). Unless you mean plugging your headphones to a controller but that would be crazy as the quality is crap.
Yes, of course, receiver or headphone amp. The amp can also be connected to the TV (I have my NFB 11.28 connected to the optical out of my TV). Receiver would be better for living rooms, as you typically don't have a remote for a headphone amp.

Top Bottom