• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Sold an Estimated 2.1 to 2.5 Million Units Worldwide on Launch Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Sony launched its next-generation console - the PlayStation 5 - with a staggered release earlier this month. The console launched first in North America, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea on November 12, followed by Europe and the rest of the world a week later on November 19.

Based on preliminary data VGChartz estimates that the PlayStation 5 sold between an estimated 2.1 million to 2.5 million units worldwide when you combine its two launch days.

The $499 PS5 proved to be far more popular than the $399 PS5 Digital Edition, with over 75 percent of the total estimated sales.

On November 12, the PS5 sold between an estimated 1.3 million and 1.6 million units across the US, Canada, Mexico Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea.

Breaking November 12 sales further down, the PS5 in the US sold between 1.0 million and 1.2 million units. In Canada, sales were between 95,000 and 110,000 units, while in Mexico they were between 65,000 and 75,000 units. In Oceania, (Australia and New Zealand combined) the PS5 sold between 45,000 and 60,000 units. In Japan, the PS5 sold between 115,000 and 120,000 units.

On November 19, the PS5 sold between an estimated 800,000 and 900,000 units across Europe and the rest of the world. The majority of sales for the November 19 launch came in Europe with between 660,000 and 800,000 units sold.

Breaking Europe launch day sales further down, the PS5 sold in the UK between 230,000 and 280,000 units. In France, sales were between 105,000 and 125,000 units, while in Germany they were between 115,000 and 140,000 units.

VGChartz earlier this month released estimated sales for the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. The two next-generation consoles from Microsoft between an estimated 1.1 million to 1.4 million units worldwide in its first 24 hours.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yields of about 10-12 million are generally what most expected for the first year, so 2 million in an initial batch sounds pretty good (but obviously they underestimated demand or just couldn't produce more due to COVID).

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
It's also worth noting that "The PS5 disc based version was way more popular" is a worthless statement considering Sony only made about %20 of their manufactured units Digital on purpose. It's not like people who really wanted a PS5 had a choice -- The Digital Editions were in much more limited supply, but it still gave Sony that $399 carrot to dangle to consumers to enhance interest in the console.

Wow not even 100 million
8286.jpg

drotahorror

Not surprised disc sold more even though vgchartz isn't reliable. I hope that I've secured a disc version at Best Buy, but I definitely would have jumped on the digital if I could. You already know Sony made much less $400 machines in this initial wave of consoles.

Ev1L AuRoN

I think they are both selling everything they can produce. In my country it is impossible to find a PS5 or Series X, there are queues until next year, but the S Series is easy to find at the MSRP price. 😂

MastaKiiLA

That's not a reliable source. I don't think people should ever quote VGCharts, unless they made some major changes in how they derive their numbers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The $499 PS5 proved to be far more popular than the $399 PS5 Digital Edition, with over 75 percent of the total estimated sales.

Whether true or not, this is such a dumb sentence since they sold through all of their stock in an instant.

All it really means is that Sony produced far fewer Digital Edition units than standard disc units.

Bodomism

Banned
VGchartz got their numbers from their site owner's ass.

Even Nintendo unable to accurately pinpoint their sell through numbers in small timeframe and often underestimated their hardware sales in their sales PR(During Wii and Switch era black friday) and NPD corrected their figures later.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
That's all they could make? The factories should be running 24/7 with multiple cargo ships per day. They could easily sell 10 millions before the end of the year if we could buy the fucking thing in stores worldwide.

PUT ME IN CHARGE DAMMIT!!!

The thirst is real, this would have to be one of the most successful launches of a console ever.

They would've made as many as possible, and it would've been more, but many factories had issues when this pandemic started, and delayed the amount of launch units that could have been produced due to Covid.

I think they are both selling everything they can produce. In my country it is impossible to find a PS5 or Series X, there are queues until next year, but the S Series is easy to find at the MSRP price. 😂

Yeah same, ps5 sold out in few minute, xsex in 2 weeks and series s is on the shelf on many stores

VGChartz.

long_time_star_wars.gif

Lol.

VGCrap or not, I can't find a PS5 to save my fuckin' life.

I'd be willing to bet whatever's in my checking account right now that they'd have sold out of every PS5 they had no matter what the supply (obviously not something absurd like 30m+).

If bots would stop buying them all and putting them on eBay for $1500 it'd be nice.

Dr.D00p

Breaking Europe launch day sales further down, the PS5 sold in the UK between 230,000 and 280,000 units. In France, sales were between 105,000 and 125,000 units, while in Germany they were between 115,000 and 140,000 units.

1 UK...explains our High Covid death rate, too many lazy, fat bastard slobs sitting on the sofa, boozing whilst playing video games all day instead of going out, getting some exercise & fresh air to lose weight.

2 France...They're just pissed its not a French console

3 Germany... PC Gaming über Alles .

vkbest

1 UK...explains our High Covid death rate, too many lazy, fat bastard slobs sitting on the sofa, boozing whilst playing video games all day instead of going out, getting some exercise & fresh air to lose weight.

2 France...They're just pissed its not a French console

3 Germany... PC Gaming über Alles .

Its sold out in Europe. The sales difference Is the distribution Sony made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom