• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 sold 118,085 units in first four days in Japan; Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S sold 20,534 units in first six days. I'm shocked!

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yeah i knew that. But why you showing ps5 numbers to me though. I just pointed out that xbox sx numbers doesn’t look that good for op .
I don’t think OP was saying they were amazing, but it is pretty surprising that it only dipped like 3k where’s the PS5 dropped like 150k.

I don't think an '/thread' has ever been more appropriate lol
Why? Both consoles sold less than the consoles they replaced. Anything over 0 sales is a bonus for MS. Sony’s sales halving aren’t great for them.

Glad you agree.

I believe Yakuza Like a Dragon was a new launch title in japan for xbox series x. Though not exclusive. It was a new game and should sell consoles.

I love jrpgs so I might give it a play.
What do you mean ? It has been a launch title and Is new on XBox, but Is exactly the same game ( resolution apart) that launched almost an year ago on Ps4.

Last edited:
What do you mean ? It has been a launch title and Is new on XBox, but Is exactly the same game ( resolution apart) that launched almost an year ago on Ps4.
My bad. I got confused cause it had a worldwide release on ps4, xbox, on November 10th 2020.

It was released in Japan only in January 2020. I must have missed that.

This is all according to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza:_Like_a_Dragon

So your right, I was wrong.

skneogaf

Not sure what the terminology is for people that stick to everything from the lands that they're from but Japanese people definitely seem to.

Iphones and kitkats chocolate bar flavours are separate from my observations obviously.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm feeling very fortunate to get mine tomorrow/Sunday with all this craze. And yes, the Sony dominance this gen gonna be devastating compared to previous one.

Woopah

I'm feeling very fortunate to get mine tomorrow/Sunday with all this craze. And yes, the Sony dominance this gen gonna be devastating compared to previous one.
Dominance in what way? I think the PS5 and Xbox Series are going to sell roughly the same as their predecessors so don't think the dominance will be any different.

Bodomism

Banned
That's not how the chart suggested in Japan.

PS5 only sold 118K in a launch day and the top 5 best selling PS5 titles combined only sold around 50K
1. Spidey MM - 18K
2. DSR - 18K
3. COD CW PS5 - 6K
4. Godfall - 5K
5. AC PS5 - 4K

Those PS5 games combined were outsold by Indie game that was developed by 2 people in their free time lol and it's currently out of stock while sell through number for PS5 titles are
Spidey MM and COD PS4 ~40%
DSR, Godfall, and AC PS5 ~20%

Far from dominance.

The Japanese are really hot and cold on things.
They used to be massive console gamers, and Japan basically owned the gaming world with Sony, Sega, Nintendo and SNK.
Now it's a ghost house. Wouldn't be surprised if Australia was a bigger market nowadays.

But gaming isn't the only thing the Japanese have done this with.

They used to be the most rabid combat fighting country in the world. K1 was massive. Like sold out stadiums with 80,000 people.
Pride was also massive in the Japan.
Then the Japanese public just lost interest.
The japanese public didn't lose interest in Pride. Pride officials were corrupt as fuck. Fixed fight, PED's etc. They bankrupted themselves.

Japanese only buy Japanese stuff except the iPhone. That’s like the only exception.

I believe the ps3 sold like 10 million units in Japan while the 360 sold like less than a million. That was Microsoft’s best console and Japan didn’t want it then. It’s gonna be worse this gen.

Hmm I wonder can we find other some other country on Earth where console made in that country has much higher market share than in all other countries combined.

Perhaps something that sells 50-60% of it's global sales in one place

Now what could that console be?

Bodomism

Banned
Hmm I wonder can we find other some other country on Earth where console made in that country has much higher market share than in all other countries combined.

Perhaps something that sells 50-60% of it's global sales in one place

Now what could that console be?
PSVita and Xbox consoles.

Birdo

Banned
The shortages really suck. Not just for people not getting consoles. But we will never actualy know how well these consoles would have sold at launch.

The Series X sold out. That's why the One did better.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Those Xbox numbers aren't bad considering. Not that I expect them to keep up any steady level past launch though.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wait, what the fuck USA troops doing there in such large quanlities?

Last edited:

Roman Empire

Gold Member
People have to give Japan a different look compared to 7 years ago because the mobile market just keeps on growing while the console is shrinking day after day there. I actually call those "good numbers" by their standards.

The Japanese are really hot and cold on things.
They used to be massive console gamers, and Japan basically owned the gaming world with Sony, Sega, Nintendo and SNK.
Now it's a ghost house. Wouldn't be surprised if Australia was a bigger market nowadays.
You know Australia only has 1/5 the population of Japan, right?

Stuart360

Gold Member
This shows 1:6 vs 1:2.5 last gen.
This is Japan Bo, come on man. Of course Sony is going to dominate multiple times over.
After XB1 selling like 80k total, and selling 20 systems a week in Japan, i was honestly expecting 1-2k numbers for XSX/XSS in Japan lol.
Yes Sony will win worldwide, but its not going to be the same percenatge as Japan.

Hezekiah

Banned
I don’t think OP was saying they were amazing, but it is pretty surprising that it only dipped like 3k where’s the PS5 dropped like 150k.

Why? Both consoles sold less than the consoles they replaced. Anything over 0 sales is a bonus for MS. Sony’s sales halving aren’t great for them.
MS defence force in full effect 🙂.

Sony held back the vast bulk of their supply for the US and the EU because Japan is a much smaller console market nowadays.

Microsoft sold what they were gonna sell regardless. They probably lose money just having a presence out there, which means they are reliant on the US market again - they'll sell in the UK aswell, but the UK is going crazy for the PS5 and demand is huge here.

K1Expwy

Japanese only buy Japanese stuff except the iPhone. That’s like the only exception.
Whenever you see a drink vending machine in Japan, from the heart of Tokyo to a remote town that only Anthony Bourdain's been to, it's most likely owned by Coca-Cola, the leader of their beverage market. There's other examples of foreign companies succeeding in Japan where Xbox (obviously not Microsoft/Windows) failed
why are these people lining up for hours to buy a video game when they can literally download it for the same price?
When you have membership cards for specific retailers, you can buy those games at a discount using points from past purchases. That's at least one reason among others

And I somehow doubt that digital download or even Covid will seriously discourage owning/collecting and reselling physical items. That goes for Japan, which is a big market for limited edition collector's items, but the same has to be true everywhere else

Bodomism

Banned
This is Japan Bo, come on man. Of course Sony is going to dominate multiple times over.
After XB1 selling like 80k total, and selling 20 systems a week in Japan, i was honestly expecting 1-2k numbers for XSX/XSS in Japan lol.
Yes Sony will win worldwide, but its not going to be the same percenatge as Japan.
Sony's market share is shrinking in Japan and it's going to be more competitive in this generation in the US as XBS and Nintendo Switch are the main competitors instead of WiiU and XBO in the previous generation.

My prediction for this Gen sales in the US and Japan.

US
NSW - 50M
XBS - 35M
PS5 - 30M

Japan
NSW - 30M
PS5 - 6.5M
XBS - 300K

MagnesG

Banned
Sony's market share is shrinking in Japan and it's going to be more competitive in this generation in the US as XBS and Nintendo Switch are the main competitors instead of WiiU and XBO in the previous generation.

US
NSW - 50M
XBS - 35M
PS5 - 30M

Japan
NSW - 30M
PS5 - 6.5M
XBS - 300K
This gen?

OrtizTwelve

I don't see XBOX ever doing well in Japan unless XBOX either purchases a few Japanese game companies or forms some sort of exclusive partnership to release certain games only on XBOX.

I can see however XBOX buying SEGA sometime in the near future.

supernova8

Banned

I believe the ps3 sold like 10 million units in Japan while the 360 sold like less than a million. That was Microsoft’s best console and Japan didn’t want it then. It’s gonna be worse this gen.

Yeah a little known fact is that the Samsung Galaxy is just marketed as "Galaxy" without the Samsung branding because so many Japanese people still hate Korea.

Yeah, I live here.
That's pretty baffling, then. Do you really believe that the console market in Japan has shrunk to such an extreme degree that it is now smaller than that of a country with 1/5 of the population? In order to get close to Japan's numbers, more than a third of all Australians (we're talking everyone from babies to the elderly) would have to own a PS4, and over half of them would have to own a Switch.

But hey, Australia probably comes out ahead in Xbox ownership, so that's something at least.

Last edited:

noshten

PS5 only sold 118K in a launch day and the top 5 best selling PS5 titles combined only sold around 50K
1. Spidey MM - 18K
2. DSR - 18K
3. COD CW PS5 - 6K
4. Godfall - 5K
5. AC PS5 - 4K

Those PS5 games combined were outsold by Indie game that was developed by 2 people in their free time lol and it's currently out of stock while sell through number for PS5 titles are
Spidey MM and COD PS4 ~40%
DSR, Godfall, and AC PS5 ~20%

Far from dominance.

We gotta look it another way,

For the first 3 months after it's launch there were ZERO PS4 and ZERO PS4 software sold in Japan, now PS5 is off to a flying start with over 118K units sold in its first month on the market and software is already well ahead of the PS4 launch aligned.
But the real story is the XSX, X1 in Japan sold like 29K units nearly 10 months after its launch, currently Xbox family is already 72% from this total in its launch week.
Amazing by both console makers, Nintendo gotta be worried about this unprecedented demand.

This is unprecedented success in Japan, no doubt the follow up to Sakuna will be PS5/XSX exclusive with rice tracing

Last edited:

yurinka

They sold out all the units of PS5 and Xbox they had for Japan. They didn't sell more due to lack of enough supply because they were releasing this time in more countries, so even if Sony and MS shipped more units in a worldwide scale than they ever did, there were less units available per country -most likely almost everywhere- than before.

Sony expects to outsell with PS5 this fiscal year that ends in March in a worldwide scale the amount of units they sold with PS4 in the same period. Which means PS5 is going to have the best launch ever for a console in gaming history.

And looking at the amount of big exclusives announced in PS5 and Series X|S for 2021, and comparing them to the exclusives PS4 and XBO had its first year, I think that at the end of 2021 PS5 will continue outselling PS4 launch aligned worldwide, and the difference with Xbox I think will be bigger than was back then. Specially if multiplatform games continue performing frequently very similarly or with a lead on PS5 in terms of performance and loading.

Regarding Japan, it's a small market for both MS and Sony, whose main markets are NA and EU.

US
NSW - 50M
XBS - 35M
PS5 - 30M

Japan
NSW - 30M
PS5 - 6.5M
XBS - 300K
Outside the covid bump of Q1 & Q2, PS4 was outselling Switch launch aligned due to having an extra Q3, so they have pretty similar sales. But there's a difference regarding their sales curve: PS home consoles are in the market during ~10-12 years, while Wii and the portables are during ~8 years and Nintendo home consoles outside Wii last ~6 years.

This means PS4 will pretty likely outsell Switch in the long run once all is set in stone after their full lifecycle. And PS4 is outselling PS2 launch aligned.

And PS5 seems will outsell PS4 launch aligned during at least the first year.

Last edited:

Meh.

The same problems that Microsoft had going into the XBOX One are the problems they have now.

1) no compelling first party titles for the Japanese market
2) Japanese buy Japanese. Unlike Apple they've done none of the legwork to make their product compelling in that market (see #1).

At the end of the day the Japanese gaming market is nowhere near as influential as it used to be (back in the late 80s / early 90s) so Microsoft has pretty much ceded that market to the competition (there's a reason they didn't dedicate more stock to it).

Last edited:

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring

And McDonands, Disney, KFC, Windows, Starbucks, Domino, and so on...

Hezekiah

Banned
They sold out all the units of PS5 and Xbox they had for Japan. They didn't sell more due to lack of enough supply because they were releasing this time in more countries, so even if Sony and MS shipped more units in a worldwide scale than they ever did, there were less units available per country -most likely almost everywhere- than before.

Sony expects to outsell with PS5 this fiscal year that ends in March in a worldwide scale the amount of units they sold with PS4 in the same period. Which means PS5 is going to have the best launch ever for a console in gaming history.

And looking at the amount of big exclusives announced in PS5 and Series X|S for 2021, and comparing them to the exclusives PS4 and XBO had its first year, I think that at the end of 2021 PS5 will continue outselling PS4 launch aligned worldwide, and the difference with Xbox I think will be bigger than was back then. Specially if multiplatform games continue performing frequently very similarly or with a lead on PS5 in terms of performance and loading.

Regarding Japan, it's a small market for both MS and Sony, whose main markets are NA and EU.

Outside the covid bump of Q1 & Q2, PS4 was outselling Switch launch aligned due to having an extra Q3, so they have pretty similar sales. But there's a difference regarding their sales curve: PS home consoles are in the market during ~10-12 years, while Wii and the portables are during ~8 years and Nintendo home consoles outside Wii last ~6 years.

This means PS4 will pretty likely outsell Switch in the long run once all is set in stone after their full lifecycle. And PS4 is outselling PS2 launch aligned.

And PS5 seems will outsell PS4 launch aligned during at least the first year.
Yep, the key point is PS5 will be the biggest launch for a console ever, which is great news in terms of reinvestment into more AAA exclusive games, and more resources being poured into Playsation Plus and Playstation Now.

Never seen demand before like there is in PS5 in Europe. It's the biggest games market so should be getting the biggest shipments.

Top Bottom