• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 sold 118,085 units in first four days in Japan; Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S sold 20,534 units in first six days. I'm shocked!

According to Gematsu, the XSX and Series S sold 20,534 units in the first week in Japan. I'm completely shocked, but happy for them, that MS managed to sell that many next-gen systems in Japan, a market that has migrated over to mobile games a decade ago, and one that prioritizes exclusive, triple-AAA games at launch (which the XSX and Series S do not have) when buying their next consoles. I'm wondering if these are sell-through numbers or shipped to retailers numbers.

The Japanese are really hot and cold on things.
They used to be massive console gamers, and Japan basically owned the gaming world with Sony, Sega, Nintendo and SNK.
Now it's a ghost house. Wouldn't be surprised if Australia was a bigger market nowadays.

But gaming isn't the only thing the Japanese have done this with.

They used to be the most rabid combat fighting country in the world. K1 was massive. Like sold out stadiums with 80,000 people.
Pride was also massive in the Japan.
Then the Japanese public just lost interest.

Japanese only buy Japanese stuff except the iPhone. That’s like the only exception.

I believe the ps3 sold like 10 million units in Japan while the 360 sold like less than a million. That was Microsoft’s best console and Japan didn’t want it then. It’s gonna be worse this gen.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Impressive for Japan. I think xcloud on mobile phones should be popular in japan. It may help console sales overtime too.

If sales continue I may get my lost odyssey 2 after all.
Xcloud and XSS Gamepass game stream will be big in Japan, I don't know I'm weirdly optimistic just from the prospect of it.

I mean we already had Yakuza on gamepass right? That's a big deal imo for Japan folks.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That’s less than xbox 1 though....
And the PS5 sold far less than the PS4 too, but you knew that right? The Series S/X actually had only a slight drop off, while the PS5 sold less than half that of the PS4.

In comparison, the PlayStation 4 sold 309,154 units in Japan during its first week on sale in 2014, while the Xbox One sold 23,562 units during its first four days on sale in the country. Back in 2005, the Xbox 360 sold over 60,000 units in its first two days on sale in Japan.

This is terrible for the Xbox Series X though.
Nah, it makes no difference for the Series X. Microsoft have gone this long without Japans support, and Japans home console support is borderline non-existant now and getting worse every generation.

Last edited:
Xcloud and XSS Gamepass game stream will be big in Japan, I don't know I'm weirdly optimistic just from the prospect of it.

I mean we already had Yakuza on gamepass right? That's a big deal imo for Japan folks.
Glad you agree.

I believe Yakuza Like a Dragon was a new launch title in japan for xbox series x. Though not exclusive. It was a new game and should sell consoles.

I love jrpgs so I might give it a play.

TLZ

Banned
There are about 54,000 Anerican troops stationed in Japan. I wonder how many are gamers.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The Japanese are really hot and cold on things.
They used to be massive console gamers, and Japan basically owned the gaming world with Sony, Sega, Nintendo and SNK.
Now it's a ghost house. Wouldn't be surprised if Australia was a bigger market nowadays.

But gaming isn't the only thing the Japanese have done this with.

They used to be the most rabid combat fighting country in the world. K1 was massive. Like sold out stadiums with 80,000 people.
Pride was also massive in the Japan.
Then the Japanese public just lost interest.
Phone games are ALL the rage!
I bet Japan centric games sell better in the West to weebs.
What Japan centric games? There is literally no Japanese games for either console rn.
This is terrible for the Xbox Series X though.
You know how much ONE sold in Japan? These are ok numbers lol.

Batiman

Banned
Wow that looks good for MS when you compare it to the ps5. Thought it would be a way larger gap even with supply in mind.

Kagey K

Banned
If there aren’t systems sitting on shelves, that’s as much as they both expected.

Anyone prove that there are extra systems sitting there begging to be bought?

MrFunSocks

Banned
They mean what Sony could produce and ship. That's not nothing. That's everything during a launch.
But it means nothing. Do you think Sony making x amount vs y amount means anything 12 months from now? Do you think that the PS5 selling less than the ps4 because they couldn’t produce as many consoles really means anything in the bigger picture?

Sales numbers at this stage mean nothing. Both consoles have essentially sold out. We all know the PS5 is going to outsell the XS by at least 2:1 again, don’t really know why anyone is trying to feign surprise.

Kagey K

Banned
Yes, and the gap between supply and demand was never as big as with the PS5 launch.
How is that not important?
Doubt.

People said the same as the PS4.

It’s always the biggest and the most desirable. (in reality the supply amd demand ratios are almost always the same)

Its only because of being in the now it seems more, but in 5 years as you reflect, it becomes obvious.

Bryank75

Banned
Very insightful thread...... from just this sales data people have deduced that PS5 is a failure in Japan and Xcloud is going to be a huge success there. Very interesting! /S

Kagey K

Banned
Well Xbox DID launch with Yakuza. Shame to see how home consoles seem to be dying in Japan though.
COVID might have brought them back home. But consoles bigger than thier house just don’t fit.

Unless they use their new consoles as their home.

manzo

Two identical game consoles geared fully towards western audiences. Even more than the original Xbox was. Absolutely no compelling Japanese software in the launch, except a very hardcore-then-niche port of a PS3 game, which has a cult following among hardcore gamers, but no mainstream interest.

While Switch offers everything the Japanese gamers need; portability and no need for a television. Full of software that the Japanese love. Nintendo makes software that compels to everyone, not just the Japanese.

The Japanese youth have grown up with mobile devices. To them, some households might not even have a television. Game consoles are a thing of the past. If it doesn't fit the lifestyle, it doesn't work in Japan. This is why Sony moved their business to America. Consoles are gigantic in the west, while dying out in the east. Of course the initial allocations were instantly sold out, but the PS5 and XSES/X will sell way less in Japan than their predecessors, which already showing a dying market for television-based consoles.

Most of the hardcore gamers still see Japan of 1985-2005 when the output was stellar. That age has long gone. Only a few large corporations still do games for consoles, when smaller ones have gone mobile. The largest ones like Capcom and Square Enix still do AAA games, but very western output. All A-B level games are Switch/Mobile with a port for PS4/PS5. That's how this generation will roll.

And the PS5 sold far less than the PS4 too, but you knew that right? The Series S/X actually had only a slight drop off, while the PS5 sold less than half that of the PS4.

Nah, it makes no difference for the Series X. Microsoft have gone this long without Japans support, and Japans home console support is borderline non-existant now and getting worse every generation.

Yeah i knew that. But why you showing ps5 numbers to me though. I just pointed out that xbox sx numbers doesn’t look that good for op .

Top Bottom