• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 sells over 1M in Japan (faster than PS4)

anthony2690

Banned
PS5 has very atrocious attach rate even in comparison to PS4.

PS4 with 1 million milestone hardware sold

Top 20 software
1. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 144.689
2. Yakuza Ishin! - 137.213
3. GTAV - 135.665
4. Destiny - 123.094
5. Battlefield 4 - 121.054
6. Watch dogs - 97.445
7. FIFA 14 - 87.788
8. COD Advance Warfare - 84.433
9. The evil within - 71.174
10. FF XIV - 67.822
11. TLOU Remastered - 59.638
12. Tomb Raider DE - 56.182
13. Infamous SS - 56.044
14. Killzone SF - 55.751
15. AC Unity - 52.037
16. AC BF - 48.509
17. Winning Eleven 2015 - 48.498
18. Dragon Age: Inquisition - 48.497
19. Dynasty Warriors 8 extreme - 43.634
20. COD Ghost - 40.476

VS

PS5 with 1 million milestone

Top 20 software
1. RE8 - 67.000
2. Demon's Souls Remake - 51.796
3. Spider-Man MM - 43.692
4. FF7R - 23.491
5. R&C Rift apart - 17.850
6. Ghost Tsushima DC - 17.271
7. Judgement - 14.749
8. Scarlet Nexus - 12.785
9. COD BLOPS - 10.969
10. Returnal - 9.148
11. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - 7.682
12. Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition - 6.022
13. Godfall - 5.725
14. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 3.112
15. Neptunia ReVerse - 2.984
16. Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 2.861
17. Watch Dogs: Legion - 2.545
18. Fortnite: The Last Laugh Bundle - 2.263
19. NBA 2K21 - 2.057
20. Immortals: Fenyx Rising - 1.901
That attachment rate is surprisingly low compared to the PS4, any idea why such a low attachment rate?

Is digital sales bigger in Japan than retail?

Or maybe they are just happy to play their current ps4 titles?

That attachment rate is surprisingly low compared to the PS4, any idea why such a low attachment rate?

Is digital sales bigger in Japan than retail?

Or maybe they are just happy to play their current ps4 titles?
It's a mix of a decent amount of consoles getting scalped and people playing old titles. Digital is still small in Japan, maybe at 20% or so.

ANIMAL1975

PS5 has very atrocious attach rate even in comparison to PS4.

PS4 with 1 million milestone hardware sold

Top 20 software
1. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 144.689
2. Yakuza Ishin! - 137.213
3. GTAV - 135.665
4. Destiny - 123.094
5. Battlefield 4 - 121.054
6. Watch dogs - 97.445
7. FIFA 14 - 87.788
8. COD Advance Warfare - 84.433
9. The evil within - 71.174
10. FF XIV - 67.822
11. TLOU Remastered - 59.638
12. Tomb Raider DE - 56.182
13. Infamous SS - 56.044
14. Killzone SF - 55.751
15. AC Unity - 52.037
16. AC BF - 48.509
17. Winning Eleven 2015 - 48.498
18. Dragon Age: Inquisition - 48.497
19. Dynasty Warriors 8 extreme - 43.634
20. COD Ghost - 40.476

VS

PS5 with 1 million milestone

Top 20 software
1. RE8 - 67.000
2. Demon's Souls Remake - 51.796
3. Spider-Man MM - 43.692
4. FF7R - 23.491
5. R&C Rift apart - 17.850
6. Ghost Tsushima DC - 17.271
7. Judgement - 14.749
8. Scarlet Nexus - 12.785
9. COD BLOPS - 10.969
10. Returnal - 9.148
11. Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - 7.682
12. Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition - 6.022
13. Godfall - 5.725
14. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 3.112
15. Neptunia ReVerse - 2.984
16. Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 2.861
17. Watch Dogs: Legion - 2.545
18. Fortnite: The Last Laugh Bundle - 2.263
19. NBA 2K21 - 2.057
20. Immortals: Fenyx Rising - 1.901

1.7m vs 300k

And people act like this is not a big deal or that somehow digital sales are now big in Japan. PS5 software numbers are absolutely abysmal, no way around it.

1. PS5 is backcompatible with ps4, you have your intire library to play since day one.
2. PS4 wasn't _ 0 games.
3. As others are saying in the thread _ digital sales vs boxed _ do you guys even know the number for digital sales in 2013/14? Psn was in its infancy after the ps3 lowsy years.

1. PS5 is backcompatible with ps4, you have your intire library to play since day one.
2. PS4 wasn't _ 0 games.
3. As others are saying in the thread _ digital sales vs boxed _ do you guys even know the number for digital sales in 2013/14? Psn was in its infancy after the ps3 lowsy years.
Digital is 20% or so. It doesn't change much. 300k vs 380k.

As others are saying in the thread _ digital sales vs boxed _ do you guys even know the number for digital sales in 2013/14? Psn was in its infancy after the ps3 lowsy years.
Even if we assume 50% digital sales now and 20% in 2013/2014, and i doubt this, it's still 2 million vs 600k.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is that guy saying $1,500 a month is high? $2,000 a month is about as low as you're going to get in many major cities: Sydney, Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York, San Fran.

In Sydney you could get a really shitty 1 bedder for about $1,200 a month but you really wouldn't want to live there.

And you're 100% right, a senior Cloud Architect is going to be paid roughly $200-300k a year.

I don't think many people have a grasp of how much money we get paid in IT. That's why I always get upset about people bitching about crunch. When you're paid this salary you should shut the fuck up and earn it. When people ask me to work overtime all I can think of is: for the money you're paying me, I'm not complaining :)

Your average game developer (code monkey) does not make $200K+.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Your average developer with vision sees the next step is team lead, then solution designer, then architect. I’ve seen people rise up from the testing team to the top job.

Yeah, but when people talk about the video game development crunch you're defending, most of the people affected are those regular developers who don't make that kind of money.

ANIMAL1975

Digital is 20% or so. It doesn't change much. 300k vs 380k.

Even if we assume 50% digital sales now and 20% in 2013/2014, and i doubt this, it's still 2 million vs 600k.

Digital in 2013/14 was probably closer to 0% lol after the troubled ps3 generation with hacked ps network and its shitty performance all around (even ps plus was a new thing and not mandatory for multiplayer).

But most of all you are both dismissing my first point:
When you bought a ps4 in 2013 you had 0 games to play on it _ you had to buy games. With ps5 you have your intire library readly available since day one with enhanced features for replay and your backlog of virgin games...

Digital in 2013/14 was probably closer to 0% lol after the troubled ps3 generation with hacked ps network and its shitty performance all around (even ps plus was a new thing and not mandatory for multiplayer).

But most of all you are both dismissing my first point:
When you bought a ps4 in 2013 you had 0 games to play on it _ you had to buy games. With ps5 you have your intire library readly available since day one with enhanced features for replay and your backlog of virgin games...
People don't buy a PS5 to play old PS4 games. A cheap Pro would do the job just fine. It makes more sense to me that many consoles are sold to other countries since they are still rare.

skit_data

Gonna sell well over 10 million there.... would be great to hit over 15 million.
Once the big JRPG's and other games hit, the demand will only increase more... hope Sony can provide more consoles for them then.
What do you think about the rumors of Sony building a big Japanese studio? Do you think there’s truth to it? Will you forgive Ryan and Hulst’s sins?

Seeing that they pretty much rebought studio Liverpool, I was skeptical before but now… it doesn’t seem too far fetched

Bryank75

Banned
What do you think about the rumors of Sony building a big Japanese studio? Do you think there’s truth to it? Will you forgive Ryan and Hulst’s sins?

Seeing that they pretty much rebought studio Liverpool, I was skeptical before but now… it doesn’t seem too far fetched

I'm sure they will build more... it would be perplexing to me if they didn't.

I think a Japanese studio whether built or bought should be a sure thing....

Bluepoint should also be a sure thing...there is an absolute ton of work for them to do.

Plus I think another studio or two could join PlayStation too.... what scale of studio? I'm unsure...we could get something smaller like the Kena dev and something bigger like Kojima or something like that. (Even though he is just one man and the studio is gone without him)

My favorites are Remedy, IOI, Asobo, Arc System Works and Kadokawa (From) (Super expensive but benefits all Sony)

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I was going to guess that many of the units were being acquired in Japan in order to be resold across Asia even before reading Ahmad's assessment. The theory makes sense to me given the waning popularity of Sony's brand there and the relatively low software sales.

Bryank75

Banned
I was going to guess that many of the units were being acquired in Japan in order to be resold across Asia even before reading Ahmad's assessment. The theory makes sense to me given the waning popularity of Sony's brand there and the relatively low software sales.

Nonsense, they have ticket systems in place and you have to be a member of some stores to get a single unit.
People are lining up around the block and almost rioting to get one.... that is not the behavior of a scalper.

China and other territories get their own stock... there will always be a very small % of units sold across borders.

Last edited:

GHG

The scalper argument will never not be funny to me.

If there was no demand then it wouldn't get scalped. The units that are scalped ultimately end up in the hands of people who want the console so talking about "scalping" in an attempt to discredit sales is nonsensical.

ZywyPL

Banned
So about 10% of all units sold worldwide went to Japan, that's a pretty significant chunk if you ask me. But given Sony's and 3rd party output, I think it would've been much better is those consoles went to the west, where all the DLC/MTX game are being played.

Bryank75

Banned
So about 10% of all units sold worldwide went to Japan, that's a pretty significant chunk if you ask me. But given Sony's and 3rd party output, I think it would've been much better is those consoles went to the west, where all the DLC/MTX game are being played.

Probably right... but have to keep regions happy enough too. With the media being so vicious with Sony, I think overall it wasn't a bad call.

Bodomism

Banned
The scalper argument will never not be funny to me.

If there was no demand then it wouldn't get scalped. The units that are scalped ultimately end up in the hands of people who want the console so talking about "scalping" in an attempt to discredit sales is nonsensical.
We're talking about japan sales where software numbers aren't aligned with hardware numbers. Even japanese gaming blog is questioning about the low attach ratio. You can go take a look at the comment section to see the general view of what's happening in Japan. Scalping issues is very prevalent in Japan for PS5. Even with the lottery system the scalpers manage to get the system without much hassle.

Ozriel

M$FT
Software sales figures clearly indicate there’s insane scalping going on.

Zhuge - a well respected regional analyst - makes it clear that many of the units sold there are exported to other Asian markets.

Why would console warring and fanboyism make some of you reject hard data and clear market indicators

it’s a great result for Sony in general. They’re selling every console they can make. But the attach rate is definitely going to be a concern for them with respect to Japan.

Last edited:

GHG

We're talking about japan sales where software numbers aren't aligned with hardware numbers. Even japanese gaming blog is questioning about the low attach ratio. You can go take a look at the comment section to see the general view of what's happening in Japan. Scalping issues is very prevalent in Japan for PS5. Even with the lottery system the scalpers manage to get the system without much hassle.

Ok... and?

So you think these consoles are ending up in the hands of people overseas where they wont buy games? Any potential shortfall in software sales in Japan will be made up for in whatever region/country the consoles ultimately end up.

Bodomism

Banned
Ok... and?

So you think these consoles are ending up in the hands of people overseas where they wont buy games? Any potential shortfall in software sales in Japan will be made up for in whatever region/country the consoles ultimately end up.
Yes, but we're in Japanese sales thread.

reksveks

Software sales figures clearly indicate there’s insane scalping going on.

Zhuge - a well respected regional analyst - makes it clear that many of the units sold there are exported to other Asian markets.
I don't know about insane but its hard/impossible to split out the 3 main causes of the decreased attached rates
- better BC support
- scalping
- gaming pattern shift to f2p and probably increased digital sales

Ozriel

M$FT
It did launch with 20 **free** AAA massively popular games which would no doubt skew the software sales numbers.

PS+ collection was included in all territories. We don’t see that skewing attach rates in the US or European markets.

You didn’t think this through, did you ?

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't know about insane but its hard/impossible to split out the 3 main causes of the decreased attached rates
- better BC support
- scalping
- gaming pattern shift to f2p and probably increased digital sales
#1 and #2 is the same in every territory the PS5 has launched in, though.

GHG

Yes, but we're in Japanese sales thread.

So what do you want people to say? It's a shame that these consoles are not staying in Japan in the event that they are being scalped?

Why should they stay there even if there is stronger demand for them elsewhere? Regardless of whether or not the consoles are being scalped a million sold is a million sold.

Celine

Only 1 mil in 1 year. That's small given the population of Japan :|
It's the total PS5 hardware sales after the first 43 weeks, roughly 10 months.
It's not a terrible result actually, the worrying part are the software sales.

To give some context:
E-z7rCVWYAIG7Ri

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
It's the total PS5 hardware sales after the first 43 weeks, roughly 10 months.
It's not a terrible result actually, the worrying part are the software sales.

To give some context:
E-z7rCVWYAIG7Ri

Thing that no one has touched on. A lot of popular games in Japan are not paid releases. Theres now tons of F2P games from FORTNITE to Genshin Impact. I think a lot of that is not being calculated. If someone can find out how many people are using PS5 in asian territories and what the break down is for F2P games on PS5 install wise in Japan/Asia I think that would solve the discrepancy in software.

Isn't Final Fantasy 14 huge in Japan? WHich also is a PS4 title that a lot already own and probably runs better on PS5?

There is like 2.49 Million active users each day, with over 22 Million players total(people who have installed the game).

Here;s some numbers for 2016: https://playercounter.com/final-fantasy-14-xiv/

I would assume with PS4 growing over there, and now PS5's that number might be larger especially with the fallout from WOW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom