• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 sales surge in January, but game sales fall | UK Monthly Charts

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Great console, here comes Xbox and Nintendo fanboys with excuses.
Nintendo are stuck with a almost 6 year old console. They have already sold more than 120 millions of them. It is time for the next one. Simple. I love my PS5, and had fun with my Switch.
For Xbox I don't know, and don't really care.

The team doing Forspoken...that studio is getting canned isn't it?

Re-absorbed into better performing teams at Square. This was a massive disaster.

Delaying the game did no good for it either. Just delayed the inevitable

"A bad game is forever bad, release as soon as possible" - Shiguru Iwatamoto

Sony has 2023 on Lock.

Their marketing deal with Hogwarts Legacy is going to pay off big time too and push PS5 sales even further. Then we get PSVR2, RE4, Final Fantasy XVI, and Spider-Man 2 all spaced equally throughout the year.

Going to do enormous numbers with the supply issues worked out.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's a simple one really.

Just make great games. But MS is either full of idiots, disillusioned, or just hasn't got a clue. My money is on a combination of at least two of those.

This is a company that was willing to spend over $60B to take a shortcut, people have been complaining about their lack of gaming output since far back in 2017. If they instead decided to channel just 10% of that money into building new IPs or rebooting older ones, they would have like 10-15 great games right now that everyone would be talking about. To really put this into perspective just to drum home how out of touch MS is... Sony has spent less than $1.5B developing (and marketing) GOW2018, GOWR, Spiderman, SM.MM, HZ.ZD, HZ.FW, GoT, TlOU2, Rathet, Returnal, and GT7. The ones I can remember that were released since 2017.

$1.5B... and yet, MS's biggest move in the same 5-year span is to drop $60B to consolidate a subscription service.

Their priorities are just all wrong.

Totally agree here. But also......it's $69 Billion. Not 60. ;)

yazenov

Seriously, it's not looking good for the Xbox.

A decline in sales despite the "shortages" from last year and even after the hefty price cut. MS is in serious trouble and there is no more room for further price cuts, at least not in the near future since that thing is already dirt cheap.

Sony will have no competition now that Switch is declining due to aging hardware and interest. At least not until the Switch 2 arrives.

Software sales for 3rd party games on Xbox will tank as a result of the small userbase and the effect of Gamepass on the purchase habits of consumers. More games will skip the Xbox platform as a result, similar to what happened to the Xbox one. This generation will be similar to the previous generation in terms of dominance from Sony in both hardware and software.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

A decline in sales despite the "shortages" from last year and even after the hefty price cut. MS is in serious trouble and there is no more room for further price cuts, at least not in the near future since that thing is already dirt cheap.

Sony will have no competition now that Switch is declining due to aging hardware and interest. At least not until the Switch 2 arrives.

Software sales for 3rd party games on Xbox will tank as a result of the small userbase and the effect of Gamepass on the purchase habits of consumers. More games will skip the Xbox platform as a result, similar to what happened to the Xbox one. This generation will be similar to the previous generation in terms of dominance from Sony in both hardware and software.
No, it won't be similar. This one will be significantly better for PlayStation.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
it's $69 Billion. Not 60.
Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office

zomboden

Banned
No, it won't be similar. This one will be significantly better for PlayStation.

As a realistic person, and as an Xbox fan since the OG Xbox that my dad bought me at a pawn shop I definitely have been following recent events from a worrisome perspective.

Normally I'm the kind of person who would say "stop the doom and gloom, stop the trolling, stop the concern trolling." but...

1. Activision Blizzard acquisition is in trouble. What are they gonna do if it falls through? Another acquisition could tie them up for the entire gen.
2. Sales are down for Xbox across the board.
3. They cut marketing budget this year( why would they do this ???) bad sign imo. people can say its normal but I think thats a horrible sign.
4. Not releasing any compelling games. Have tons of studios but modern game development has the pipeline so clogged that games only come out 6 years after they are announced for some reason. It's just taking too long.
5. Game pass additions have been slowing down (this is my personal opinion) but it seems like there hasnt been any real third party bangers added to game pass. You would think they would be doing third party deals while people are waiting for games like starfield.
6. Look at game polls on here like "what platform are you getting hogwarts legacy on?" it had 50% PS5, and like ~25% Xbox. And the public perception of Xbox from the "normal person" pov can take a hit if everyone around them has a PS5. Definitely that apple effect you're talking about. Nobody wants to be the only one with an Xbox.

I hope Xbox has a good future, because I can't imagine a timeline where Sony has a sole monopoly on powerful home consoles. (Minus the switch ofc).

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
So you think a single player game has a disproportionately large digital adoption rate?
I understand now is both physical and digital.
Having said that. Yes I think digital is taking over. And its pretty simple really. we are getting older and work and all that stuff in real life. That it's easy to buy digital

Last edited:
Top Bottom