• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Sales Expected to ‘Significantly Outperform’ Xbox Series X, Says DFC Intelligence

TBiddy

The entire generation was a cluster fuck.

Selling nearly half as many consoles as the generation before is not “not bad”. Especially when launch window sales weren’t really that bad at all. The gap got wider and wider as the generation progressed. They’re 10-15 million units behind a console that released 3 years ago.

Xbox spent the majority of the generation tinkering with hardware instead of bringing games. This is the root of all of their problems. It’s not yet fixed. We still have promises of jam tomorrow.

Selling 50 million consoles with "no games" (as some members of the forum like to put it) is not bad. I think the 360 gen was an outlier that was caused by PS3 releasing a year later.

SaucyJack

Selling 50 million consoles with "no games" (as some members of the forum like to put it) is not bad. I think the 360 gen was an outlier that was caused by PS3 releasing a year later.

I do agree with 360 being an outlier, and I think next gen will prove it.

Microsoft did something innovative with the 360 and XBL. They also brought games, games, games and had the advantage of being a year ahead. And they blew it with the second half of the 360 gen and then the XBO.

TBiddy

I do agree with 360 being an outlier, and I think next gen will prove it.

Microsoft did something innovative with the 360 and XBL. They also brought games, games, games and had the advantage of being a year ahead. And they blew it with the second half of the 360 gen and then the XBO.

I agree. They desperately need to bring the games. Not necessarily the same kind of games as Sony has, but high quality experiences that are unique for Microsoft.

martino

I agree. They desperately need to bring the games. Not necessarily the same kind of games as Sony has, but high quality experiences that are unique for Microsoft.

yep. Don't chase people fed that don't want to be chased, get people you can get.

Krisprolls

Banned

Yes. That won't turn Sony fans from Playstation (until Sony themselves kinda stops releasing great games) but that can make them buy a second console and / or subscribe to gamepass.

Buying great RPG devs like Obsidian and Inxile for example is a step in the good direction, I know it certainly pushes me towards Gamepass (on top of Playstation). The games they make are not something you can find in Sony exclusives.

Last edited:
30 billion and 130 billion? Both false numbers. Where did you get those?
Please don’t answer with questions.
Do you know the actual numbers?

They're not wrong

Microsoft:
Cash, Cash Equivalents, and Investments
Cash, cash equivalents, and short-term investments totaled $136.5 billion and $133.8 billion as of June 30, 2020 and 2019. Equity investments were $3.0 billion and $2.6 billion as of June 30, 2020 and 2019, respectively

Sony:
Cash and cash equivalents at end of the period Three months ended June 30, 2019 1,210,507
Three months ended June 30, 2020 1,448,614
Fiscal year ended March 31, 2020 1,512,357

Moonjt9

I think realistically we will see 3:1 Or 4:1 in favor of PlayStation. It’s already 2:1 at least This gen. And next gen is looking very strong for Sony with the momentum and mindshare they have going forward. If I may be so bold, next gen might be the last for a console from Microsoft.

BootsLoader

Banned
You asserted that the numbers put forth by bitbydeath bitbydeath were wrong, which implies that you know what the actual numbers are. Hence, I've asked you whether or not you know the actual numbers. I don't know them.
Exactly. Who knows those numbers? How do you get those numbers? Is that guy a CEO? Is he working in the economics department of Sony and Microsoft? How does he speak with numbers?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In recent months it has become clear that Sony and Microsoft are pursuing two very different strategies in the video game industry. The likely result is that the upcoming Sony PlayStation 5 should significantly outsell the Microsoft Xbox Series X. However, Microsoft may have the long-term winning battle plan.

The latest DFC Intelligence video game console forecasts have the PlayStation 5 outselling the Xbox Series X by a margin of 2-to-1. The PS5 looks likely to be Sony’s fourth 100 million unit selling console game system.

Microsoft is trying its best with Xbox Series X, but the past few months have revealed they are just too far behind Sony. Consumer brand preference is strongly towards PlayStation. As a piece of hardware there is nothing Xbox Series X is doing to change that perception.

Sony is also a global powerhouse in video games. Microsoft is only strong in English speaking markets. The Xbox has no presence in Japan and is weak in most of Europe. Sony’s strength in global consumer electronics distribution has been too much for Microsoft to overcome, even after 20 years of concerted effort.

ftBhnzb.jpg

6jZmVW0.gif

Unknown?

I think realistically we will see 3:1 Or 4:1 in favor of PlayStation. It’s already 2:1 at least This gen. And next gen is looking very strong for Sony with the momentum and mindshare they have going forward. If I may be so bold, next gen might be the last for a console from Microsoft.
Idk about last but I do think it'll be a bigger gap this upcoming gen. A new gen is somewhat of a fresh start but as seen with PS2 and PS4, how you end a previous gen is just as impactful to the next gen as how you start a new gen.

Xbox One started out poorly because of stupid policies and messaging but they kept it afloat by major price cuts and changes to policies. It still most of the gen got outclassed in software by both of its competitors. However the 360 being so bad in its final years hurt it almost as much imo. It didn't instill confidence in the brand.

bitbydeath

30 billion and 130 billion? Both false numbers. Where did you get those?

• Sony cash on hand for the quarter ending June 30, 2020 was $33.058B, a 39.25% increase year-over-year.

• Microsoft cash on hand for the quarter ending June 30, 2020 was $136.527B, a 2.02% increase year-over-year.

BootsLoader

Banned

Ok and? Is this from their gaming divisions? How do you know that the companies can afford to throw all the money on PlayStation and Xbox. You kidding me guys?

Unknown?

Which one ended the gen worse the 360 or the X1?
Hard to say with the hard-core gamer. Maybe a slight advantage towards the One because the 360 was completely focused on Kinect but overall towards the casual audience probably the One because Kinect was loved by that population.

Nvidia's monopoly in the PC market is frankly disgusting. I don't want that kind of stuff in the console space. I want Xbox to retaliate hard tbh. But their whole gamepass shovel ware strategy is not the way to go. It will take time, but winning people over with good exclusives is the only right way forward.
I think gamepass is a great way to get new people. It's a huge value especially down the line when those exclusives come out on it. They've bought studios and they're going to have to make good exclusives but gamepass by the middle of the gen will have a lot of good games. It's a great way to keep customers and possibly put pressure on Sony in the meantime

I suggest Sony fans let go of their obsession with Microsoft just enough to realise that the PS5 is also not exactly a guaranteed home run. It will launch with NO GAEMS, no gimmick like Game Pass that's front and center, we're 3 months away with no price and it's dropping in the middle of the Coronavirus recession. Lest we forget Sony's presentation did feature Sonichu Dinosaurs The Game and in the Year of Abby it's not like street cred is at an all time high either. This could be a race to last at least in the early going.

It's ironic, I know, that you guys see it as an arms race and never considered you might get warm and cozy holding hands to watch underwhelming launch numbers together :messenger_heart:

Raekwon26

I suggest Sony fans let go of their obsession with Microsoft just enough to realise that the PS5 is also not exactly a guaranteed home run. It will launch with NO GAEMS, no gimmick like Game Pass that's front and center, we're 3 months away with no price and it's dropping in the middle of the Coronavirus recession. Lest we forget Sony's presentation did feature Sonichu Dinosaurs The Game and in the Year of Abby it's not like street cred is at an all time high either. This could be a race to last at least in the early going.

It's ironic, I know, that you guys see it as an arms race and never considered you might get warm and cozy holding hands to watch underwhelming launch numbers together :messenger_heart:

Good grief.................

MrS

Banned
It's gonna be a bloodbath without Halo.

Imagine being this deluded.

Last edited:

Lol u r joking? Ps5 will reach 10 million before xsx reaches 3 million . Book this 👀🥳

Last edited:

RGB'D

I think 4K remasters of GoT and TLOU2 at launch (likely?) will be huge selling point for PS5 alone. One of the bosses of PS said they want to get PS4 gamers to transition to PS5 faster than ever and next gen ports will help that.
This point exists for XBox Series X too. They will have series X patches for their current gen games. With the exception of a likely 10 hr experience in Miles Morales, there isn’t anything beyond 3rd partythat we will see to justify an upgrade in the next year. I’m not buying a console just for for Miles Morales, as much as I likely will enjoy it (loved Spider-Man).

In the console gaming industry they would be plus I'm sure there are anti competition laws that stop that from happening.

Also there's this.

People saying this are just fantasizing the elimination of a competitor through a hostile takeover.

Your last point is correct. And this will never happen.

But the US government hasn't effectively enforced anti-trust for 40 years. That ship sailed. The American way is mergers and acquisitions, baby! Anyone thinking the govt would actually white knight any situation to "preserve competition" is smoking some good shit and just about as delusional as the people fantasizing about MS performing a hostile takeover of Sony in the first place.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It better. The Playstation division and selling insurance have basically been the only things keeping Sony afloat the past several years (I say this as someone who loves their products BTW...typing this on a very nice Sony phone connected to a great Sony BT speaker).

Their imaging/camera divisions are doing well, with CineAlta's being partners with Netflix, and alphas being the leading cameras in their sector. Their TV division has recovered as well and it's more than likely will spike with the introduction of the affordable, yet impressive XH90 (X900H) with 7.2ms input lag, 4K@120Hz, VRR, ALLM (to be updated in a later firmware).

Been using Sony phones since 2005 myself and talking to you through my PC connected to Bravia XD70 4K HDR ;).

Top Bottom