• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Review |OT| Only on NeoGaf

Are you SOLD on the PS5?

• Total voters

Moogle11

Banned
I think it's mentioned in the spec sheet. So I'm guessing it probably needs a patch to enable.

Probably. As above, I bought a Sony X900H TV recently, the first firmware update a couple weeks back to enable HDMI 2.1 features didn't included VRR or ALLM either--just 4K120 and EARC, and those are apparently both buggy per AVS Forum uses (I don't have any 2.1 devices hooked up to it yet).

So I'm guessing Sony in general is just behind in working out the kinks on these HDMI 2.1 things on both their TVs and the PS5 and future updates will fix it. I know for the TV they said VRR and ALLM would come in a future update, and AVS forum people have said support has told them an update was likely coming in November to fix the blurriness in 4K120fps and some of the EARC issues people are having.

White-fire

I like that the main complaints about the console are things that can be fixed with firmware updates (ssd expansion compatibility , storing ps5 games on external drive, game sorting in the UI, quick resume).

No doubt Sony will take these criticisms and try to implement them going forward. Exciting stuff. I'm sure they were trying to get the basic UI absolutely rock solid and integrated first, like the PS4.

dano1

A Sheep
Uhm, that is the question in the OP. Are you sold on the PS5? No, I’m not but probably in the future. I’m glad we have quality comments such as yours to balance things out though.

Pretty sure this was about the system as a whole since this was the review day for the console. But I understand if you don’t like any games. I just figured you were another xbot.
I apologize👍🏻

Fantastic results.

The DualSense might end up being the biggest leap in gaming since 3D was introduced. That sounds like hyperbole but the ability to actually feel what you're seeing on screen is revolutionary -- not just for the videogame industry but for almost all tech industries. It sounds like science fiction only it's actually real.

Inviusx

Can anybody help me save time and point me to the review that has the most detail on the Tempest Audio Engine?

All the reviews are pretty terrible because they are extremely surface level, either because they all rushed them out to hit that embargo date or there are still embargoes in place that we don't know about.

Until these consoles are in the hands of actual consumers and enthusiast level reviewers we probably won't have clearer info on some of the finer details.

Without surprises, the PS5 has very good reviews : Sony have done their homeworks to provide a next gen experience to the gamers. That being said, it's only going to make it harder to get mine as I still have not been able to pre-order one:messenger_loudly_crying:

Without surprises, the PS5 has very good reviews : Sony have done their homeworks to provide a next gen experience to the gamers. That being said, it's only going to make it harder to get mine as I still have not been able to pre-order one:messenger_loudly_crying:

I'm having the same issue and I tried to make the preorder when they opened.

Kssio_Aug

Not yet. But I might be interested enough to buy it when they release a Slim model. At that time I probably can find it for a better price and there's gonna be more exclusive AAA titles worth it.

reksveks

Had a look at the Giant Bomb UI video and all I can say is that I feel sorry for people who want to play Hitman 3 cause that seems like its going to be a frustrating experience. Both versions of the games could appear in the latest 8 games played across the top and you wouldn't know which is which.

Other than that, it looks nice if you are in trophy's.

Kerotan

Is there a way to set the ps5 so if you're playing a game and click another application on the menu it asks you to confirm if you want to close the current app?

iHaunter

I haven't watched any yet. Do any of them talk about fan noise?
Played Demon's Souls for hours! 0 fan noise, sometimes I forget I even turned it on. Blue-Ray is loud AF though. So I'm probably going to go digital for 90% of my games lol. Thankfully the Blu-Ray drive quiets down after about the first 25-30 seconds.

Greggy

Fantastic results.

The DualSense might end up being the biggest leap in gaming since 3D was introduced. That sounds like hyperbole but the ability to actually feel what you're seeing on screen is revolutionary -- not just for the videogame industry but for almost all tech industries. It sounds like science fiction only it's actually real.
Other than Astrobot, I haven;t been particularly impressed. Spider man doesnt particularly take advantage of it. At the moment it's risking to go down in history as a gimmick. LEt's see how it's taken advantage of in future games. But a leap in gaming nah, unless all you play is Astrobot.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I dunno if thisbis the rightbthread to ask general PS5 questions, but the search function couldn't come up with anything so i found this thread when searching via Google.

Does anyone know if when you jave 3d audio enabled on the PS5 settings does it apply to all audio? YouTube, apple tv, netflix, blu rays etc etc?

Top Bottom