• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5: Resident Evil Village will be dynamic 4k with Ray Tracing

Burger

If devs really wanted locked 4k they would do it (by reducing details)
I wonder if this dynamic 4k trend is actually "forced" by Sony to make it easier to scale games for ps5pro/ps6 without the need for patches.

Smartest post in here.

TBiddy

I mean context is everything, in basically all aspects of life so your removal of context is just flabbergasting. He threw a negative rumor out there without proof, and then admitted he was only interested in tipping the scales. Also he didn't say it would be "ready at launch", what he said was that he believed it would be better by launch. Uh, ok?

Exactly what was his contribution aside from console wars? 0. So it's real rich seeing you complain that the reaction to the rumor amounted to console wars and nothing else.

Of course context is king, but that ridiculous strawman you posted earlier wasn't about "context" - it was about framing him as unreliable. There's nothing controversial in his statements:

The game's terrible performance at the PS5 reveal event with the terrible frame rate present in the trailer was kinda' the current status of the game on PS5 as of a few months ago.
but the build where it's at notably was only having issues on PS5. There's any number of reasons for that and I don't know the specifics, just I know that tidbit, and it is true.
However I also know Capcom has some very talented people, the engine is very customizable, so it'll probably be working perfectly by launch

You trying to frame him in your previous post proves my point. I mean, you cannot possibly be serious with this: "Devs struggling to go above 1080p60, but on XSX they simply typed enter and it was 4k60 just like that".

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Of course context is king, but that ridiculous strawman you posted earlier wasn't about "context" - it was about framing him as unreliable. There's nothing controversial in his statements:

The game's terrible performance at the PS5 reveal event with the terrible frame rate present in the trailer was kinda' the current status of the game on PS5 as of a few months ago.
but the build where it's at notably was only having issues on PS5. There's any number of reasons for that and I don't know the specifics, just I know that tidbit, and it is true.
However I also know Capcom has some very talented people, the engine is very customizable, so it'll probably be working perfectly by launch

You trying to frame him in your previous post proves my point.

What you just posted is the definition of FUD, it's sad you can't see it. "Terrible frame rate", "only having issues on PS5", "it is true", all complete with the contradiction at the end like "but oh I'm sure it'll improve" to take cover.

And surprise, now everything suddenly runs great at 4K like on every PS5 game, how weird it is. I kinda doubt it improved so much so fast from unplayable at 1080p to fine at 4K. That's some next level fast optimization. Unless the game simply never ran bad and he was spreading FUD, but no that would be too simple.

He admitted himself he wanted to make things "less one sided". Who wants to make things "less one sided" except fanboys ? I'm not sure what you try to defend here.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

You trying to frame him in your previous post proves my point. I mean, you cannot possibly be serious with this: "Devs struggling to go above 1080p60, but on XSX they simply typed enter and it was 4k60 just like that".

All you need is a quick google search to find about him. Like XSX is "by far more powerful than the PS5", that "Microsoft are ready to lowball Sony when it comes to price", or "RE8 will be 1080p 60fps on launch on PS5, I never claimed otherwise", "get used to fake 4K on PS5", "The thing is, apparently the game runs perfectly on Xbox X" etc

And again, he came out and admitted that he was spreading FUD to tip the scales. Defending this guy is a bigger reflection of you than it is attacking the guy for what he admitted to doing.

Even Richard Leadbetter from DF says all he hears from devs is how happy they are with PS5 development, to the point of evangelizing it.

Last edited:
Wasn’t it supposed to be 1080p according to FUD Golem? I thought he was reliable!

He said the game was struggling to run stably at some point in its development. Seeing he's been right with many of his other rumors since that one, I don't doubt the game had trouble hitting certain performance targets earlier on.

That and the fact this isn't necessarily a graphical showcase, but still not full native 4K, adds at least a pinch of accuracy to some of the stuff he was saying. I'll put it this way: he's been a lot more accurate on other things since (Shenmue project, PS5 event in early half of September, etc.) than a lot of other insiders've ever been.

What you just posted is the definition of FUD, it's sad you can't see it. "Terrible frame rate", "only having issues on PS5", "it is true", all complete with the contradiction at the end like "but oh I'm sure it'll improve" to take cover.

And surprise, now everything suddenly runs great at 4K like on every PS5 game, how weird it is. I kinda doubt it improved so much so fast from unplayable at 1080p to fine at 4K. That's some next level fast optimization. Unless the game simply never ran bad and he was spreading FUD, but no that would be too simple.

He admitted himself he wanted to make things "less one sided". Who wants to make things "less one sided" except fanboys ? I'm not sure what you try to defend here.

You should learn the definition of some of these words like FUD before throwing them around like old Halloween candy. Golem was just making a specification on the game's state of development on a particular platform at some point during its development history, that had context given the problems exhibited in the game's trailer at the September reveal event.

Saying they were sure it'd get better later on isn't being contradictory or trying to cover one's ass; that's literally what any sane person would expect to be the case for a any game as it progresses further into development. It's called optimizations, this is nothing new and has been a thing in the industry since Pong.

Also, we still need to define what "great" is; this is a game that started as a current-gen title, and got pushed to next-gen only very late into development (which could explain the issues it was having that he commented on, particularly if the retooling was using PS5 as the base platform, so the other versions would've been older builds just running through BC on the newer hardware), yet it's still dynamic 4K. You doubt it improved "so fast" from where it was to "fine at 4K" because you underestimate crunch culture, and how the development process ramps up exponentially near the tailend of a game's development. Plus, the footage from the September build was likely from an earlier build cobbled together back sometime in the summer.

None of today's news really invalidates what Dust was saying at the time. He might've been hyperbolic in his statements, but that was likely his own opinion on it (he let it flavor his commentary too heavily), and the general point they were trying to get across outside of the hyperbole, wasn't anything controversial. And again, they've had a pretty good track record since this, with both the Shenmue stuff and getting the timing for the PS5 September event within a hairs-reach.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I'll put it this way: he's been a lot more accurate on other things since (Shenmue project, PS5 event in early half of September, etc.) than a lot of other insiders've ever been.

Yes very accurate :
RE having trouble running at 1080p on PS5 -> wrong
"RE8 will be 1080p 60fps on launch on PS5, I never claimed otherwise" -> wrong, it'll be 4K
"XSX is by far more powerful than the PS5" -> wrong too according to first reports (same res / same fps everywhere)
"Microsoft are ready to lowball Sony when it comes to price" -> wrong again

It's not hyperbolic, it's just wrong.

Once again, he basically admitted he was spreading FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) about PS5 (I know what it means, thanks) to "make things less one sided", so it's not like there's a doubt here.

Last edited:

Concern

Dynamic 4k/30fps with rt is fine. 60fps is probably too much to ask considering how rough the trailers were.

RE7 performance with rt is good enough.

Edit: Just realized the same individuals already in here warring lol. This shit is so lame.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
tenor.gif

You guys dont even want to talk about the game :messenger_grinning_smiling:

mckmas8808

Banned
Yes, he shared some news that didn't fit the narrative 100%. The rational response would've been "Ah, they're having issues with development. No biggie, it'll be fixed for launch" (which by the way is what he said, for crying out loud). Instead the console warriors went into a rampage and started twisting his words to make it sound like, the PS5 was unable to run the game at above 1080p60.

You're missing the point. People are questioning if Capcom EVER were having issues with this game on the PS5 like he stated.

kyoji

pretty funny to how dynamic res was a knock on what a console was capable of even if the game looks fantastic, now the pendalum is shifting to it being fine or that it should be used more. I wonder what happened?

Astral Dog

Hopefully we'll get a 60fps mode too...
Surprising the gen where the most Ubisoft games have a 60fps option, Capcom decides to return to 30fps. Looks like this game is a unoptimized mess they want to release soon.

I'm assuming 30fps because "no mention + raytracing"
I wouldn't worry about 60fps at all, these are just early reports and DMC5 already has plenty of options

There will be a 60fps mode with no RayTracing, hell if they want to push VR too (and they should because it was a huge success) they need 60fps.

However if a current gen version appears it will be 30fps only...

BeardGawd

Banned
Anyone feel like me? I buy both XSX and PS5 to play the exclusives on PS5 and other games on XSX but if the DualSense controller is so much better than the XSX one... I might end up buying multiplat games on PS5 too...

Will depend for me. I envision the superior performance will win me over most times but if somehow a locked trigger enhances the experience so much that it's just not as fun on Xbox I will pick it up on PS5. Horror games might be that type of game.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

"Simulate the feeling of firing a real gun with haptic feedback." I wonder if that's the extent of the work they are putting into incorporating haptic feedback. Adding it to firing weapons is the bare minimum I expect but I'm hoping Capcom (and other 3rd parties) take it further than this.

yurinka

Surprising the gen where the most Ubisoft games have a 60fps option, Capcom decides to return to 30fps. Looks like this game is a unoptimized mess they want to release soon.

I'm assuming 30fps because "no mention + raytracing"
These most Ubisoft games are basically previous gen gen upgraded in the next gen to 4K with no RT, so they can allow 60fps because they have lighter models, lighting, textures and so on. RE8 is instead a next gen only game with RT and probably more demanding textures, models, lighting, shadows and so on.

As I remember, out of all the Ubi games to be released soon only Watchdogs Legion has RT and as I remember it didn't have 60fps on consoles.

Last edited:

Aidah

Haptics+tempest+super fast loading
Vs
Better graphics, better performance, and KB/M.

Hmmm... I might have to get both.

Astral Dog

It sucks if it's only 30 fps. That would be a real downgrade from RE7 last gen. I'd probably go #fullmeltdown tbh if this coming gen sacrifices 60 fps for the sake of some fucking ray traced reflections.

Harsh language & angry emotes would be required.
I wouldn't worry a 60fps mode will be in, even DMC5 has plenty of options and VR is important for fps Resident Evil

Umbral

Fuck. I hate dynamic resolution. I just want consistency in resolution.

Can someone convince me dynamic resolution is not that terrible?

Ataraxia

PS5™ features

• Adaptive triggers: Feel the weight and pull of weapon triggers for an even more immersive experience.

This is real immersion. Every gun should have a different trigger weight and pull distance.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Resident Evil is always a contender for game of the year and it’s the #1 reason to own a VR headset as far as I’m concerned

TBiddy

All you need is a quick google search to find about him. Like XSX is "by far more powerful than the PS5", that "Microsoft are ready to lowball Sony when it comes to price", or "RE8 will be 1080p 60fps on launch on PS5, I never claimed otherwise", "get used to fake 4K on PS5", "The thing is, apparently the game runs perfectly on Xbox X" etc

And again, he came out and admitted that he was spreading FUD to tip the scales. Defending this guy is a bigger reflection of you than it is attacking the guy for what he admitted to doing.

Even Richard Leadbetter from DF says all he hears from devs is how happy they are with PS5 development, to the point of evangelizing it.

When did he admit to "FUD", as you say? The post you're all complaining about is literallly not controversial. He' stating what he heard about the current state of the game. Some people took that personally and started a campaign against him, using words he never said.

The part about Richard Leadbetter is not really relevant. Devs can be very happy about the PS5 SDK and still be behind on optimizing the PS5 version over the XSX version. That''s, hopefully, common sense.

The issue is, that Dusk Golem came out and said what he heard. That Capcom were having some issues with the current version of the game, but that he expected them to be ready at launch. How the lot of you can get angry about that is beyond me. I suspect, that if he had said the same about Halo, Forza or whatever, you'd be praising him as a God.

You're missing the point. People are questioning if Capcom EVER were having issues with this game on the PS5 like he stated.

Considering how rough it looked at the PS5 showcase, it's seems likely.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Wasn't it running at 4K in the PS5 showcase though?

It was, which Dusk Golem also acknowledges. I don't think he ever stated it was running 1080p in the trailer. What he said was, that he heard it was running poorly at 1080p60 at some point, and that the issues (not sure if they are the same issues) were also present in the trailer, despite it running at 4k.

It's such a non-story. An insider says a game struggled at some point in it's development to run at 1080p60, the trailer looks rough at 4k, but the insider maintains that they will probably get it fixed by launch, and yet he is attacked by rabid fanboys all over the internet (not referring to you, by the way).

Tripolygon

Banned
It was, which Dusk Golem also acknowledges. I don't think he ever stated it was running 1080p in the trailer. What he said was, that he heard it was running poorly at 1080p60 at some point, and that the issues (not sure if they are the same issues) were also present in the trailer, despite it running at 4k.

It's such a non-story. An insider says a game struggled at some point in it's development to run at 1080p60, the trailer looks rough at 4k, but the insider maintains that they will probably get it fixed by launch, and yet he is attacked by rabid fanboys all over the internet (not referring to you, by the way).
PS5 will be more expensive.

Fact: PS5 is less expensive. Yes I am talking about the digital edition as it is identical in performance, sans Bluray Drive.

PS5 struggles with 4K gaming in general, not just RE.

Fact: There are lots of 4K games on PS5

RE will be at 1080p 60fps at release

Fact: Dynamic 4K with raytracing

Microsoft is more ready to lowball Sony.

Fact: They were not ready to low ball anyone. They both independently set a price target a long time ago when they were designing these consoles.

Last edited:
PS5 will be more expensive.

Fact: PS5 is less expensive. Yes I am talking about the digital edition as it is identical in performance, sans Bluray Drive.

PS5 struggles with 4K gaming in general, not just RE.

Fact: There are lots of 4K games on PS5

RE will be at 1080p 60fps at release

Fact: Dynamic 4K with raytracing

Microsoft is more ready to lowball Sony.

Fact: They were not ready to low ball anyone. They both independently set a price target a long time ago when they were designing these consoles.

What a joke FUD Golem is.

Matt_Fox

I only care about VR in 1st person Resi.

The VR gimped the regular version of RE7, made the walking speed so treacle like and slow.

I think Capcom need to commit to one or the other, gameplay-wise didn't work brilliantly for both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom