• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

--PS5 reportedly struggling with Resident Evil 8: can barely run it at 1080p/60

Status
Not open for further replies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I quoted a specific sentence of yours, where you were basically said that the SSD difference is more important than the GPU difference. I directly replied saying that a GPU cannot punch above its weight, no matter how fast the SSD. Then you started spouting the same old SSD buzz words that people love to repeat, and they were not relevant at all to what I was saying. When I countered those, you starting with a bunch of appeal to authority and no true Scotsman fallacies to downplay my statements, and then you declare yourself some sort of victor. And now you have the audacity to tell me now that I am telling you things that are not the point of your post? GTFO of here. Ignore list it is.

Looks like you can't read very well.

Better efficiency with their I/O is better than just a dump in 18% TF.

All you said it has to go through the GPU which makes no sense to what I was saying. you're still going to get similar performance at a lower resolution. If they believe a better GPU performance was more important, then they would've gone with a higher TF count, but they didn't.

There's no buzz words being repeated, just your inability to understand why they went for a lower CU count and their I/O setup.

That's your problem.

I don't know who should I trust? This guy who reportedly leaked prominent capcom stuff in the prior weeks? Forum user telling that it's not possible and it's just salt of other fanboys.
Really difficult. But I think I choose "Never cared about the RE games, but really want to play 1-3 Remake on the console I will get early next year (ps5)"

Hezekiah

Banned
Hilarious and apparently Sony has the marketing on this game. Reminds me of RDR2, Sony had the marketing, but it looked like crap on the Pro but was absolutely gorgeous in native 4K on the X.
At 30fps. Funny, I thought Xbox zealots had a problem with games that prioritise resolution over performance.

I guess it depends on which narrative is being peddled.

Journey

Banned
> Console not released.
> Game still in alpha development (probably).

Why is this thread still going?

So when Call of Duty: Ghosts was reportedly struggling on Xbox One, we should've just dismissed that rumor as well since it was not released yet and still had time for optimization, correct? Sony fans just needed validation for an outcome they were hoping for back then too? why weren't those threads dismissed? funny how that works. :goog_unsure:

If PS5 is struggling this early to get up to speed with Series X, then we could be looking at a preview on how the rest of the generation will play out on multiplatform titles.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So when Call of Duty: Ghosts was reportedly struggling on Xbox One, we should've just dismissed that rumor as well since it was not released yet and still had time for optimization, correct? Sony fans just needed validation back then too? funny how that works.

If PS5 is struggling this early to get up to speed with Series X, then we could be looking at a preview on how the rest of the generation will play out on multiplatform titles.

It's 1080p 60fps. It's an engine issue.

If you ever owned a gaming PC, then you would know the PS5 is more than capable of achieving 1080p 60fps with no problem.

But you have Xbox community who are unable to grasp this simple concept that can be done with a few minutes worth of research.

oldergamer

If you ever owned a gaming PC, then you would know the PS5 is more than capable of achieving 1080p 60fps with no problem.

But you have Xbox community who are unable to grasp this simple concept that can be done with a few minutes worth of research.
Lol sure bud. I have a feeling we are going to see this More and More

So when Call of Duty: Ghosts was reportedly struggling on Xbox One, we should've just dismissed that rumor as well since it was not released yet and still had time for optimization, correct? Sony fans just needed validation for an outcome they were hoping for back then too? why weren't those threads dismissed? funny how that works. :goog_unsure:

Lol you're not talking about resolution gate are you?

Journey

Banned

I doubt it's struggling at 1080p/60 too, that might be a typo and we're talking about 4K/60, that would make more sense. XSX could be running it at 4K/60 and PS5 may be having trouble running that natively, but then there's the checkerboard option, although we don't know if MS also has an efficient reconstruction method this time around. All I'm saying is that last gen we had similar murmurs and rumors at the beginning and we saw how that turned out. No one is saying "Don't buy a PS5 now", I just think it's a discussion worth having.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I doubt it's struggling at 1080p/60 too, that might be a typo and we're talking about 4K/60, that would make more sense. XSX could be running it at 4K/60 and PS5 may be having trouble running that natively, but then there's the checkerboard option, although we don't know if MS also has an efficient reconstruction method this time around. All I'm saying is that last gen we had similar murmurs and rumors at the beginning and we saw how that turned out. No one is saying "Don't buy a PS5 now", I just think it's a discussion worth having.
I already posted this before, but you're talking about a 2070 super vs 2080 super level of performance gap. If PS5 cannot maintain 4k 60fps, then a small reduction in resolution quality would help maintain the target frame-rate.

You guys are acting like the gap is much better than it actually is.

I think this bothering alot of people (including me) because when you look at the specifications it should be a 1080P vs 4K kind of a situation. I understand games might be 1800P or 1440P on the PS5 but 1080P? That's suggesting a massive power difference and the specifications don't reflect that.

That's the part that's bothering me the most. Either Sony has lied to us about the specifications or there's something seriously wrong with the console. That's the worry that alot of people have right now.

I personally believe that they are alot closer than that and all this is just some crazy misinterpretation of the situation.

Last edited:

Thabass

To be fair, those threads back in the day were silly too.

The reason why these type of threads are silly is because both hardware and software are still in development. Also there's probably going to be patches along the way as well if the game does ship in shitty format. It's a whole lot different now going into the next-generation. When Call of Duty: Ghosts was released, the notion of patches in console games wasn't quite apparent yet. We know now that when the next-gen comes out, even if Resident Evil 8 is released, there could be a day-1, week-1, and/or month-1 patch(es) to fix remaining issues. It's kind of unfair to the developers and manufacturers to shit on the new tech when it's not released yet.

At least in my opinion anyway.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think this bothering alot of people (including me) because when you look at the specifications it should be a 1080P vs 4K kind of a situation. I understand games might be 1800P or 1440P on the PS5 but 1080P? That's suggesting a massive power difference and the specifications don't reflect that.

That's the part that's bothering me the most. Either Sony has lied to us about the specifications or there's something seriously wrong with the console. That's the worry that alot of people have right now.

I personally believe that they are alot closer than that and all this is just some crazy misinterpretation of the situation.

We won't know until the games start coming out, but we will know fast - like, at launch, similar to Xbox One vs. PS4. If there is a huge difference in console capability we will see it with titles like Valhalla. The problem is that people are generally both much more hungry for this type of info and devs/manufacturers are much more hesitant to give it out (as we saw with the FC6 shitshow). The only thing to do now is wait.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

The only thing happening here is how willing you are to actually believe the PS5 is a total shitshow and Sony doesn't know what they're doing when designing hardware. Doesn't matter what we've seen so far during the PS5 reveal, Unreal 5 demo, or first hand developer accounts. Nope. What matters here is If this current rumor makes you feel better about buying a Series X, than hold on for dear life.

It has been a shit show from the initial presentation to even now the lack of information about the systems features or even the physical look of the console and its real dimensions. Then you start looking at their policies and stances from Cross-play to censorship to revealing a weaker system and now trying to secure DLC rights.

This all reeks of a overconfident and cocky Sony that realized too late that is in huge trouble with how they planed out next generation its not like they didn't do it before or did they.

Roxkis_ii

> Console not released.

Xbox fans need a thread to feel at home in. They need something to help them feel better in these trying times.

Xbox fans, it's going to be alright. When re8 comes out running better on the Xbox, the tide will definitely change. It maybe a few years before everyone on game pass gets to play it, but the Xbox will have bested the Playstation and for that, you can hold your head high. 😉

Iorv3th

Isn't this a little early to even be worrying about something like that? And to say the game is running way better on a different console when the game isn't even near complete and is just in early stages.....

Because xsx is also not released and the xsx version is also in alpha development and yet runs the game at native 4k 60 fps.

We are taking a rumor as certain now?

it's also probably easier to port a PC version to XBSX.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Isn't this a little early to even be worrying about something like that? And to say the game is running way better on a different console when the game isn't even near complete and is just in early stages.....

We are taking a rumor as certain now?

it's also probably easier to port a PC version to XBSX.
No we are discussing the rumor like we would any other rumor instead of begging it to be shut down because we are snowflakes who can't hear anything bad about our favorite console.

Mr.ODST

Xbox fans need a thread to feel at home in. They need something to help them feel better in these trying times.

Xbox fans, it's going to be alright. When re8 comes out running better on the Xbox, the tide will definitely change. It maybe a few years before everyone on game pass gets to play it, but the Xbox will have bested the Playstation and for that, you can hold your head high. 😉

Spoken like a true fanboy

Last edited:

Yeah hold your head high and have pride in your plastic box.. smh.. sad thing is people will take this serious instead of understanding sarcasm.

The reality is if people think release date games are generation defining... Well they are either trolls or just dumb. Neither RE8 in development or Halo Infinite are going to define the limits of games this generation. I get that trolls need to troll and fanboys need to fanboy but some of this is just stupid. RE8 will be fine when it comes out and Halo will either evolve into a better game or be overshadowed by one.

Last edited:

Lethal01

How? Everything that is transferred through the I/O still needs to be processed by at least the GPU, and in many cases also the CPU. Having faster I/O with limited GPU performance is like having a car engine that can do 15k RPM but can't shift past 2nd gear.

Because often the reason more isn't being rendered isn't because the GPU is working at it's peak it's because if you threw more at it it would run out of memory or because you need to make things small enough to stream in during gameplay. This is not to try to say the SSD is more important than the GPU but people keep acting like nothing else ever matters.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
> Console not released.

Alpha? At this point, the game is still in pre-alpha. The game was what, 50/60% complete? Optimization is something that begins late in development (beta). I mean in software development, you can always have some code not running correctly on a machine. It at can be a combination of everything, with tools, documentation, devkit tools or even Buggy dev OS build on the devkit.

People think that software development is flawless from start to finish or something like that...

Edit: We have seen how shitty the RE3 game was running on the One X. That was clearly a piece of code that screwed things up. Just one letter or a line of code doesn't have to be right and your game won't start.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
S1NwX6I.jpg

Some people just don't get it. Xbox Series X is more powerful than PS5. This is true, nobody is denying this. BUT, the devil is in small details. The difference between these console is very very small (16-18%), that's the smallest difference ever between competitors, and that's just raw specs on paper. Real-life difference in games is supposed to be even smaller (the versions might be almost identical). That's what trustful insiders like Mat, Jason told us all along.
Spreading FUD bulshit like Dusk Gulem (that Series X is MUCH MORE superior than PS5, 12 vs 9) is wrong, and those poeple deserve to eat shit for that.

One thing I keep seeing, and I see it in this thread and I see it everywhere... One side says 15 percent the other talks about 18 percent gap. In technology workloads
the way workload is calculated is by TOTAL workload percentage. I will put it outright:

If you have code that can take full advantage of the Xbox series X - lets place these 12.1 flops as the 100% mark. Meaning there is a workload for all CUs at all times to reach
maximum performance, meaning the XBOX SERIES X is calculating its theoretical performance peak of 12.1. 12.1 is 100% of the workload.

At 10.28 vs 12.15. - These are not speeds these are operations per second at full utilization-

84.6 percent is what we get. Meaning if there is a workload that FULLY utilizes all of the Series X potential calculations - the PS5 at full 10.28 is missing 15.4 percent of those calculations.

The "Gap" is 15.4 percent. And just as an example the gap between the PS4 Pro and the One X is 30%, plus a CPU advantage plus more memory plus a newer arch.
Thats why you have so many instances of games looking sharper but.... other than a sharpness difference that DF can point out this 30 percent gap has equated to some
resolution bumps.

If we're talking about raw graphics the Series X will be capable of higher resolutions or slightly higher frame rates (Like locking at 60fps where the PS5 will have to use some
kind of trick, sauce, dynamic res, or drop elsewhere or settle for running in the mid 50FPS range) assuming that 60FPS is the series X maximum. In an example where
the Series X can actually run it at 70 steady but its locked at 60, the PS5 will also be able to match and lock at 60 without a problem. Youd probably notice a performance dump
more on close inspection in heavy scenes on the PS5 than the Series X- but this is all based on assumed equal optimization and raw numbers . If they cant optimize for the PS5
or something of course the gap would be bigger. -

Thats basically what this would have to be... some kind of issue of optimization - IF true.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
It's hard to derail something that wasn't on track in the first place.
I already posted this before, but you're talking about a 2070 super vs 2080 super level of performance gap. If PS5 cannot maintain 4k 60fps, then a small reduction in resolution quality would help maintain the target frame-rate.

You guys are acting like the gap is much better than it actually is.
the thing its the gap is way smaller than the one with the ps4 pro vs the x and nobody cares,this is gonna be a really hard generation for some people

Hunnybun

The devil is in the details, but I think people are expecting a 16-18% difference are in for a rude awakening. If the GPU was capable of running a rock solid 2.23ghz like most people here seem to think, Cerny would have said that. The fact that the rosiest language the marketing team could come up with is "we expect the GPU to run at or near those speeds most of the time" most likely means the system will rarely, if ever, be running at that frequency.

Especially because they felt compelled to add in "or near" when describing the GPU. Which they didn't feel compelled to add when describing the CPU. Makes me think those GPU clocks may be a bit of smoke and mirrors and not exactly practical nor achievable under typical circumstances. Time will tell, but the carefully worded marketing speak leads me to believe the real world performance delta is going to be larger than most people are anticipating.

"Carefully worded marketing speak", did you even watch Cerny's presentation?

That thing was so badly communicated they managed to translate "PS5 will run nearly all PS4 games straight away" to "there'll be nearly 100 PS4 games that work at launch".

It was the total opposite of some kind of slick smoke and mirrors presentation.

Yams

ad hominem always indicates a loser.

idiots: wow, that hidden power must be incredible, so hidden that NO ONE SAW.

idiots: wow, you have to see this, RDNA1, super heat, garbage hurrr durrrrrrr

it is because of this low intellectual level of the average xbox consumer who writes on the internet.

Maybe take a look in the mirror for a few seconds.

Deto

Banned
I can't believe how bad it looks. There are a lot of PS3 games looking better than that...

Official halo gameplay doesn't matter.

what matters is to say that the PS5 is shit on the internet based on an "insider" who got butthurt because the console he likes became a joke

The guy threw up the whole classic script

- MS has infinite money, despite not having to guarantee exclusive third content.
- gamepass makes a lot of money and will subsidize the SX cheaper than the PS5, even with MS saying that GP does not make a profit.

Deto

Banned
Maybe take a look in the mirror for a few seconds.

Well, first party studio vs third party studio. The first party studios had much more time to make their games ready for something like this show, while third-party studios had ... a vague spec and not that much time. The game is not out yet and it will be month/years until it gets released. The SDK get's better, ...
As the xbox series x/s still uses a Windows underneath and the game is developed on e.g. DirectX 12 which is well known for a while, it would be much easier to port it over to the xbox series x. But that will change over time, when also third party developers hat time to work with the SDK for a while.

ybtolEz.jpg

lol

talk shit on the internet.
lose reason, obviously
victimize yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom