• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pulse 3D Wireless Headset

recursive

The clarity is great in A40+Mixer, I would give the headset to someone I think or use it for video production purposes on PC. But bass is so critical to me, and they're pretty flat. A50 have good bass, as I heard and read on rtings review. The 1000XM3 and nearly all Sony headphones pack a great punch for bass, and PlayStation headset to have the more powerful due to 50mm drivers. Pulse 3D is a day one for me, you can wait and check the feedback and reviews if you're hesitant.
Did you try adjusting the eq? I own both a40s and a50s and there sound signature is pretty close. I did also get the pleather pads and change the eq.

Karmic Raze

I might need this headset soon, but it’s sold out everywhere. I wonder what my chances are of grabbing one up from Walmart on launch day? Slim to none?

The clarity is great in A40+Mixer, I would give the headset to someone I think or use it for video production purposes on PC. But bass is so critical to me, and they're pretty flat. A50 have good bass, as I heard and read on rtings review. The 1000XM3 and nearly all Sony headphones pack a great punch for bass, and PlayStation headset to have the more powerful due to 50mm drivers. Pulse 3D is a day one for me, you can wait and check the feedback and reviews if you're hesitant.

Bo please post your impressions of the pulse 3d headset, your thoughts would be crucial for me to pick up at or around launch window

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo please post your impressions of the pulse 3d headset, your thoughts would be crucial for me to pick up at or around launch window

There are much more better audio guys around here that would be more informative than me as they have access to wider range of headsets ;) But I'll throw my review indeed! But it could change as devs get better with their coding. I might buy Demon's Souls just for the graphics and deeper 3D audio implementation.

I might need this headset soon, but it’s sold out everywhere. I wonder what my chances are of grabbing one up from Walmart on launch day? Slim to none?
You should check to see if the Walmart near you has any in stock online. Then go to the store with confirmed stock, because you can't purchase it online even though you can see the store has them in stock. Don't be discouraged if you don't see the headset when you go, ask anyway. That's what I did, followed by showing an employee where it said the store had stock, and she went to the back of the store to check. Moments later, she came out holding the pulse 3d headset. This all happened last week, right after I saw the pulse sold out everywhere online. I'd check if I were you.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

You should check to see if the Walmart near you has any in stock online. Then go to the store with confirmed stock, because you can't purchase it online even though you can see the store has them in stock. Don't be discouraged if you don't see the headset when you go, ask anyway. That's what I did, followed by showing an employee where it said the store had stock, and she went to the back of the store to check. Moments later, she came out holding the pulse 3d headset. This all happened last week, right after I saw the pulse sold out everywhere online. I'd check if I were you.

I did that just now and they wouldn’t go check. They just gave me the spiel about how they couldn’t put it out for sale yet. Fucking bullshit if you ask me. I wasted my time on that trip. Not happy.

Now I can’t find the Pulse 3D headset anywhere on Walmart.com. Do you have a link to it?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I activated that, it's good enough? Dolby access is like 20$ here

To my ear, Dolby is far better, and worth the $20 if you are playing with headphones a lot. They used to have a free demo for 30 days to try it.....

Dackelbein

To my ear, Dolby is far better, and worth the $20 if you are playing with headphones a lot. They used to have a free demo for 30 days to try it.....

You might also try DTS Unbound for DTS:X (same price as Dolby here), I prefer it to Dolby, but that's just my personal opinion :)

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Switched to Arctis 7x from Platinum & Gold, wish I'd done it earlier. Sound quality & ergonomics are far better compared to my Sony headsets.
I just got Arctis 7X yesterday. They don't seem to have the low frequency bass that my Astro A50s had but I like em alot.
Super comfortable and light.
My Astros would cut out all the time but I haven't had the Arctis headset drop once.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dackelbein

I just got Arctis 7X yesterday. They don't seem to have the low frequency bass that my Astro A50s had but I like em alot.
Super comfortable and light.
My Astros would cut out all the time but I haven't had the Arctis headset drop once.

Arctis PC Software got an equalizer which lets you adjust and save your sound settings, it might help with your lack of low bass.
Used it for setting up my 7x and I'm quite happy with it.

Robins

Mine arrived Thursday.

In the UK so can't test on a console yet.

Music wise they sound better than the gold headset I had. Just a better overall sound with more base.

Ear cups are firmer and feel higher quality but they push my glasses forward which is a little annoying.

Glad it's USB C charging. Looking forward to trying them properly on the 19th.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Comfortable headset, okay sound quality.

So far, it's been average for me. I wouldn't get it for myself personally. (Got it for my son).

Captn

Using my beyer dynamics custom gaming headset and its perfect for it!

I don't think Sony's Pulse is anything special.

Marketing them for people that have cheap 50-60$ headsets imo.

Last edited:

Elbereth

I did that just now and they wouldn’t go check. They just gave me the spiel about how they couldn’t put it out for sale yet. Fucking bullshit if you ask me. I wasted my time on that trip. Not happy.

Now I can’t find the Pulse 3D headset anywhere on Walmart.com. Do you have a link to it?

Try NowInStock. I was able to secure one yesterday. I also got a few email alerts last night as well.

Mine arrived Thursday.

In the UK so can't test on a console yet.

Music wise they sound better than the gold headset I had. Just a better overall sound with more base.

Ear cups are firmer and feel higher quality but they push my glasses forward which is a little annoying.

Glad it's USB C charging. Looking forward to trying them properly on the 19th.

I agree, definite improvement in sound quality, especially low end. Overall they are a much better headset. Build quality, comfort, overall sound. For $100 they are fantastic.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony : *releases 1st party games that will take full advantage of pulse 3d.

People with 3rd party $2000 headsets : shocked pikachu.jpeg

Yup, those high end ones can produce better quality indeed, but Pulse 3D will get full optimization and many are amazed by its locality even for 7.1 channel on PC.

Ciso5WaUUAAzVKf.jpg

Sometimes the overall experience is more important. For $100? Pretty decent.

Last edited:

Hudson_303

Neo Member
So, for someone who hasn't experienced 3D audio in headphones and is interested in getting these, can somebody provide some early impressions of them from a sound quality and 3D effect point of view please?

Cheers

Last edited:

FrankWza

That's kinda cool actually. Would the sound of your voice be worse then headsets like astros that have a dongle you pull down over your mic?
The dongle is the adapter that plugs into the console and allows wireless connection. The mic on the 3d is pretty good overall and good at noise canceling. Better than the platinum.
I find them uncomfortable for my ears, bit too much pinching, afraid I’m going to return mine.
same for me. It’s the strap. Depending on fit, it causes them clamp
Using my beyer dynamics custom gaming headset and its perfect for it!

I don't think Sony's Pulse is anything special.

Marketing them for people that have cheap 50-60$ headsets imo.

It is in that it is a no hassle solution that is wireless and works well with the PS5 and has some great features for $99. (Chatmix,mic monitor etc)They sound like at least 50-$60 headphones, not headsets in my opinion. Your beyers are going to be far better though. with headphones, so much is dependent on fit.

Yup, those high end ones can produce better quality indeed, but Pulse 3D will get full optimization and many are amazed by its locality even for 7.1 channel on PC.

Do we need especially Pulse 3D for binaural sound?
How does optimization for Pulse 3D works?

So, for someone who hasn't experienced 3D audio in headphones and is interested in getting these, can somebody provide some early impressions of them from a sound quality and 3D effect point of view please?

Cheers

I find the 3d effect to be much more pronounced than with the Sony Gold's. I'm not sure if that is the headset or the Tempest audio but there is a clear step up in quality over the Gold's.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do we need especially Pulse 3D for binaural sound?
How does optimization for Pulse 3D works?

All of them well work good, the existing ones. But Sony does bring special presets for each game for its PS headsets that you can download for each game, more like how devs intend it to be experienced:

Ciso5WaUUAAzVKf.jpg

Something like Netflix Calibrated mode:

sony-netflix-blog.jpg

Also all Bravia tv's said by Sony that they show the games and colors as intended on PlayStation.

All of them well work good, the existing ones. But Sony does bring special presets for each game for its PS headsets that you can download for each game, more like how devs intend it to be experienced:
Also all Bravia tv's said by Sony that they show the games and colors as intended on PlayStation.

Oh boy. I hate such things!!!

What is exactly are presets? If it's bunch of EQ presets is one thing. But if they use additional processing is another thing! It's 100$ question.
And what is that crap about Bravia TV's? Every panel is different and "presets" will work differently. How exactly Bravia TV will show "colors as intended" then? And what if I have perfectly calibrated OLED - my colors won't be "as intended"?

Overall I will not get "intended" effect if I not buy Sony headset and TV?

I smell some PR bullshit to sell more Sony products!!

Last edited:
3D audio works perfectly fine plugged into the 3.5mm jack. It also works plugged into an Xbox (One X or Series X) or Windows 10 PC. Actually, you don't even need a Sony headset, any pair of stereo headphones can receive 3D audio. It doesn't even need to be a game, there are tons of 3d audio demos on YouTube (search for HRTF audio).

How do you sinc with Series X, through 3D Pulses dongle that comes with, or basic Bluetooth connection through TV set+headphones?

I'm trying avoid cables as much as possible, plus you don't get the full clear sound experience wired?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh boy. I hate such things!!!

What is exactly are presets? If it's bunch of EQ presets is one thing. But if they use additional processing is another thing! It's 100$ question.
And what is that crap about Bravia TV's? Every panel is different and "presets" will work differently. How exactly Bravia TV will show "colors as intended" then? And what if I have perfectly calibrated OLED - my colors won't be "as intended"?

Overall I will not get "intended" effect if I not buy Sony headset and TV?

I smell some PR bullshit to sell more Sony products!!

Here to take an idea:

And they are like that Netflix calibrated mode, they are how the devs want you to experience it, not necessarily what you would like. Didn't try too many TV's, but coming from LG LCD 4K to Sony LCD 4K HDR the jump was noticeable as details were heavily crushed before. If you have your TV calibrated you're fine, don't overthink about it. What I think Pulse 3D will have more accurate than others is being HRTF-focused. I personally doubt any other gaming headset besides maybe Steelies would be as accurate in locality. Sound quality of course is another matter.

For me, I've preordered my Pulse 3D and will throw my Astro A40+Mixamp in the closet. When a new model comes with 50mm drivers like Platinum then I'll get that as well.

Don't get confused too much.

What I think Pulse 3D will have more accurate than others is being HRTF-focused. I personally doubt any other gaming headset besides maybe Steelies would be as accurate in locality. Sound quality of course is another matter.

Don't get confused too much.
Ahhh. Thanks a lot!
If pulse 3D is HTRF focused it's actually exactly what I need, lol 😂

If serious - I need to know why and how P3D is better than my headset before buying.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thanks, I saw them. But review of headphones without hearing them is not that helpful.
I will consider now P3D. Maybe I can test them in shop before buying.

What headset you have currently? I can give you feedback compared to Astro A40 at least, and there are many more experienced guys here would bring their feedback:

Last edited:
What headset you have currently? I can give you feedback compared to Astro A40 at least.
I have Marshall Major 3 (wired+wireless). They are very practical and easy to use. Sound is very good, but they are uncomfortable to wear and BT latency makes them almost useless for wireless gaming.
However I will consider anything that will be better at binaural audio, more comfortable to wear, and have less BT latency. I. e. for PS5/PC gaming (I'm using Dolby Atmos HP on PC)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have Marshall Major 3 (wired+wireless). They are very practical and easy to use. Sound is very good, but they are uncomfortable to wear and BT latency makes them almost useless for wireless gaming.
However I will consider anything that will be better at binaural audio, more comfortable to wear, and have less BT latency. I. e. for PS5/PC gaming (I'm using Dolby Atmos HP on PC)

You may consider those as well:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
- Lossless 2.4 GHz wireless audio designed for ultra-low latency gaming

Is that even possible? I thought Bluetooth bandwidth is not enough for that :messenger_hushed:

Edit: I see. It has USB-C dongle! Sorry I'm completely newbie in wireless headphones :)

It's not Bluetooth, same with most if not all gaming headsets. Pulse 3D isn't a BT headsets as well, wireless 2.4GHz with a dongle to support that connectivity. Here is a casual review, and be careful from reviews that aren't done on PS5:

It's not Bluetooth, same with most if not all gaming headsets. Pulse 3D isn't a BT headsets as well, wireless 2.4GHz with a dongle to support that connectivity. Here is a casual review, and be careful from reviews that aren't done on PS5:
Reviews for Pulse 3D are very positive!
Is it worth to go with Arctis 7p at 2x the price in your opinion?

Also If they are so good, don't have a latency and have lossless sound then I'm dumb! I was searching for Bluetooth headphones instead of wireless...:messenger_anguished:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Reviews for Pulse 3D are very positive!
Is it worth to go with Arctis 7p at 2x the price in your opinion?

Also If they are so good, don't have a latency and have lossless sound then I'm dumb! I was searching for Bluetooth headphones instead of wireless...:messenger_anguished:

I sincerely have no answer for Arctis 7p vs Pulse 3D. They must be compared head to head for locality. Build quality seems to go for Arctis, sound quality as well but not sure. Locality? Still think Pulse 3D will have it, but those are assumptions.

I think Pulse 3D will make the majority of gamers happy, except some niche gamers who experienced premium sets.

I sincerely have no answer for Arctis 7p vs Pulse 3D. They must be compared head to head for locality. Build quality seems to go for Arctis, sound quality as well but not sure. Locality? Still think Pulse 3D will have it, but those are assumptions.

I think Pulse 3D will make the majority of gamers happy, except some niche gamers who experienced premium sets.
Great! Do they work with PC?

Top Bottom