• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pulse 3D Wireless Headset

Sony headsets are awful, overpriced for the sound "quality" that you get and they aren't comfortable either. These looks pretty awful. They're also the least comfortable thing you can put on your head in consumer electronics.

Since the AMAZING 3D SOUND(simulation that PC has had for years now) works on ANY TV or Headphones, buy a good pair from Sennheiser or Audiotechnica or AKG but leave these turds in the store.

I agree, Sony also sells audiophile grade headphones which are also way better than the "consumer" options.

jaysius

Banned
I agree, Sony also sells audiophile grade headphones which are also way better than the "consumer" options.

That's what's even more frustrating, they know how to make good headphones, they have the tech, but they refuse to use it on the "lower grade" but not lower price Playstation headphone market.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Aren't the Gold 2 better in this department? By Gold 2 I mean the newest version.

Yes, the original Gold set had hinges and those were crap. The newer Golds are great, I've had mine for years now with no issues and you can't beat the sound for the price.

Mics aren't the best, but people should be using standalone mics anyway if they want decent audio.

Exoil

Headset_Pulse__97283_zoom.jpg

I have owned the Pulse Elites and I really liked them, even if the bass (pulse thing) was a little to much even on low settings. They started to show wear and tear after a year and broke completely just below the round part after about 3 years.

c1400x840.webp

I then bought a pair of the first gen Gold Wireless and the mic quality was significantly lower than on the Elites but the sound was ok. These ones lasted me only 1 and a half years before the broke at the hinge. Poor build quality.

playstation-gold-wireless-headset-7.jpg

Lastly I bought the gen 2 Gold Wireless headset when they first launched back in 2018 and I have been really impressed with these. Good mic, great audio and the durability is top notch. I've had them lying on the floor and accidentally stepped on them, sat down on them while they were in the chair, dropped them, pulled them out to get them over the PSVR headset time and time again and there's not a single sign of wear and tear.

I bought and tried the Platinum headset, but I could not get the noise cancelling to work proper which meant that everyone I played with could hear the kids wreaking havoc upstair so I returned them.

The new Pulse 3D headset looks fragile to me. Very fragile I'm afraid.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned

I have owned the Pulse Elites and I really liked them, even if the bass (pulse thing) was a little to much even on low settings. They started to show wear and tear after a year and broke completely just below the round part after about 3 years.

c1400x840.webp

I then bought a pair of the first gen Gold Wireless and the mic quality was significantly lower than on the Elites but the sound was ok. These ones lasted me only 1 and a half years before the broke at the hinge. Poor build quality.

Lastly I bought the gen 2 Gold Wireless headset when they first launched back in 2018 and I have been really impressed with these. Good mic, great audio and the durability is top notch. I've had them lying on the floor and accidentally stepped on them, sat down on them while they were in the chair, dropped them, pulled them out to get them over the PSVR headset time and time again and there's not a single sign of wear and tear.

I bought and tried the Platinum headset, but I could not get the noise cancelling to work proper which meant that everyone I played with could hear the kids wreaking havoc upstair so I returned them.

The new Pulse 3D headset looks fragile to me. Very fragile I'm afraid.

I bought the Pulse and I bought the first two headsets too, before they got into this joke of "Gold and Platinum" pretending that they were actually making things higher quality.

It was a brutal time, wishing that Sony would start putting quality into these products, but alas it was all a waste of money and those Pulse headphones heart like a mother fucker after an hour and sounded like trash compared to my real headphones from Audiotechnica and Sennheiser.

DonF

I'm pretty happy with my 1000XM3's, hopefully compatible with the new 3D audio but I think that a given.
No, they are not going to be compatible. Both ps3 and ps4 won't connect to bluetooth audio devices. I seriously doubt that ps5 is going to change that, specially considering that the new headphones still use a dongle.
Your best bet to use the xm3s on ps5 is via a usb dongle like those from hyper x from kingston or an external mixamp like Astro's.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Sony headsets are awful, overpriced for the sound "quality" that you get and they aren't comfortable either. These looks pretty awful. They're also the least comfortable thing you can put on your head in consumer electronics.

Since the AMAZING 3D SOUND(simulation that PC has had for years now) works on ANY TV or Headphones, buy a good pair from Sennheiser or Audiotechnica or AKG but leave these turds in the store.

I can spot aliasing at 200 paces but my ears are pretty crap in comparison, I think thats why Sony wins over so many people in the headphones/BT speakers market, they might not have the best sound quality from a technical perspective but people sure do love the sound they produce and the reviews and market shows that.

Its like Samsung TVs, they do most things worse than the competition and cost more but marketing + reviews ensure a lot of buyers even when its a noticeable downgrade from the previous year.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

No, they are not going to be compatible. Both ps3 and ps4 won't connect to bluetooth audio devices. I seriously doubt that ps5 is going to change that, specially considering that the new headphones still use a single.
Your best bet to use the xm3s on ps5 is via a usb dongle like those from hyper x from kingston or an external mixamp like Astro's.

I'll be using them through my soundbar, which has HDMI input from the PS5, so should be all good.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sony has to fix that plastic breaking problem before I consider buying the new headset. How can Sony be OK with such a flawed design?

Reactions: MrS

Kerotan

Would you consider them way better then what Astro etc has to offer?

That's what's even more frustrating, they know how to make good headphones, they have the tech, but they refuse to use it on the "lower grade" but not lower price Playstation headphone market.
I seen on their website they had these €400 headphones. I'm sure they're sick like you said but if you're on the market for sub €200 headphones we don't expect that quality. The question is how do they compare to other €200 headphones from companies like Astro and Turtle Beach.

GymWolf

I just had a read through this. Sounds pretty impressive from Sony.

Their PS4 gold headsets were meant to be decent mid range level although the build quality wasn't great so they tend to break after about 2 years. They cost €90 so not too price for 2/3 years worth.

However these will probably replace their platinum range which usually cost about €160 so more high end.

I'm using Astro A40 with my ps4 so the question is will Sony's new range feel like a downgrade?
Not to be that guy, but you really expect a trusted or honest review about a sony product...in the sony official site?!

I think it's best to wait for other feedbacks...

I have their platinum headset and if that thing is premium quality i'm a 190cm tall dwarf with 2 dicks...

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Literally the only reason why i bought sony headset...
Ive been eyeballing the new Stealth 600 gen 2 as it syncs wirelessly through the dongle on pc and wirelessly on the Bone. But the addition of a wire would let me use it on other things. The need to constantly move the dongle on the PS one would irritate me though. Depends on price at this point.

GymWolf

Ive been eyeballing the new Stealth 600 gen 2 as it syncs wirelessly through the dongle on pc and wirelessly on the Bone. But the addition of a wire would let me use it on other things. The need to constantly move the dongle on the PS one would irritate me though. Depends on price at this point.
I mean yeah the only downside is to move the dongle between pc and console but on pc they really are plug and play without bullshit.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I mean yeah the only downside is to move the dongle between pc and console but on pc they really are plug and play without bullshit.

The issue with this for me is that I likely would be using rear panels for both the PS5 and Computer based on how my setup is. That would be annoying but thats going to be really only a factor for a few.

GymWolf

The issue with this for me is that I likely would be using rear panels for both the PS5 and Computer based on how my setup is. That would be annoying but thats going to be really only a factor for a few.
I use the frontal panel for both so not a problem for me.
But i guess that if you are more of an ass man this can be problematic...

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Owned a pair of the gold's that lasted 3+ yesrs until one side broke at the joint. Now have their cheaper pair, the ones for psvr I think. I like them. Prefer to play with headphones because it keeps my wife from interrupting me. Also my tv sucks and sound is an issue.

Will definitely pick up these new ones with a ps5.

Kerotan

Not to be that guy, but you really expect a trusted or honest review about a sony product...in the sony official site?!

I think it's best to wait for other feedbacks...

I have their platinum headset and if that thing is premium quality i'm a 190cm tall dwarf with 2 dicks...
Well it's premium for their range. How much did you pay? Premium headsets for audio will set you back the price of a console. Most people just want the best they can get within their budget. That budget could be €50 or €100. For me it's €200. I bought by Astro A40's on a clearance sale for around €180. Otherwise I'd never get them.

GymWolf

Well it's premium for their range. How much did you pay? Premium headsets for audio will set you back the price of a console. Most people just want the best they can get within their budget. That budget could be €50 or €100. For me it's €200. I bought by Astro A40's on a clearance sale for around €180. Otherwise I'd never get them.
No they are not premium even at 150 price range, they are not really comfy for long sessions and construction quality is acceptable at best.

I payed mine like 120 euros in discount and i still feel a bit robbed, especially when my superlux 681evo that i bought for 30 euros sound better and with more comfort...the only downside is the wire and the lack of volume control.

The only reason why i bough both a gold and a platiunum headset (after the gold peeled off like a bitch under the sun) is because they work with ps4 and pc withouth much hassle (i hate windows audio management)

But i'm not a headset expert so maybe you are right, it's just silly to hear premium related to these headsets...

Last edited:

lucius

I never liked over ear headphones I don’t like how they feel, I prefer on ear Bose or similar. I would buy these if they had a version like that, I know I am in the minority.

Kerotan

OK so just announced that these are only €99. Does that mean they are budget from Sony and not high quality. I'm surprised they don't have a more expensive headset.

HarryKS

It's sad that they've made a product that's so bad in terms of build that you have to legitimately be concerned before buying them.

It's shameful.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The design of these headphones make them look like another model that's going to be easy to crack, especially for someone like me with a slightly bigger head than normal.

Thesnipergecko

Neo Member
Preordered a pair of these yesterday along with everything else. Best thing about Amazon Prime. If the items not up to scratch you can just send it back.

The Shepard

"broke completely just below the round part after about 3 years."

"Lastly I bought the gen 2 Gold Wireless headset when they first launched back in 2018"

You can do the cable tie trick on the pulse when they brake there, get a few more years out of them then. The ear pieces on mine started to malt, the fake leather started to come off so I brought the vr one because It was making a mess everywhere.

The ps4vr one is the one I use now, so comfortable. I can barely tell its on my head.

Last edited:
Sony really hasn't done much to sell this or the Tempest audio in general. I was pretty intrigued about the binaural stuff after Cerny's presentation, they could have taken out 5 minutes in any of the following events to dive deeper into it with a game showcase or smth.

Are there any preorders for this headset right now? Everything looks sold out. I need to replace my original gold headset that cracked

Kerotan

Are there any preorders for this headset right now? Everything looks sold out. I need to replace my original gold headset that cracked
Everything sold out today in my country and I only went in to pre order today. So annoyed with myself. I wonder will they get more stock.

wardener89

Neo Member
Now I was unable to buy Pulse 3D wireless headset thinking that since I have Astro A50 Gen4 for PS4 maybe I could just able to preorder the adapter easily and use that for PS5. Well, it turns out the adapter was out of stock everywhere except on Amazon which I ordered from there and will be delivered between Nov 22- Dec 13th. Yep that late. and I am already bumped out. Fortunately or unfortunately I also have PS4 Platinum Headset which is backward compatible with PS5 and the question rises is if the sound quality is substantially different or better than Pulse 3D Wireless Headset for PS5? Has anyone did comparison for both headset and found any differences? and lastly would Platinum headset will work for PS5 exclusives games like Spiderman Miles Morales and even Assassin Creed Valhalla till my HDMI to optical cable adapter is delivered for AstroA50 headset?

I hope they can improve that. Or is it a limitation of the controller size or wireless or something? I have these amazing beyer dynamic headphones but the sound just comes out so weak and tinny plugged into the controller
Get a little topping portable headphone amp. Fantastic for the price. Will power whatever Beyer headphones you have.

J3nga

It's funny because Sony high end iems are built like little tanks but the cheap stuff is generally trash.
That is true, I currently have Sony wh-1000xm3 headphones, previously I've had some sub 70 euros headphonnes, one earcup broke off in less than 6 months. 100 dollars/euros for a Sony headset is in the cheap territory.

Last edited:
I activated that, it's good enough? Dolby access is like 20$ here
Yeah it's actually pretty alright. Just make sure games are set for 5.1/7.1
That is true, I currently have Sony wh-1000xm3 headphones, previously I've had some sub 70 euros headphonnes, one earcup broke off in less than 6 months. 100 dollars/euros for a Sony headset is in the cheap territory.
I hadn't had any under 100$ ones in quite some time but all the ones I did were pretty poor quality. My Sony ier-m9's seem tough as nails but for 1000$ they better be haha.

Top Bottom