• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5, Project Scarlett to hit over 10TFLOPs of power, sources say.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to user Kleegamefan, who cites a game developer as the source of next-gen console info, both the PlayStation 5 and Project Scarlett consoles will hit double-digit TFLOP performance. If true, the PS5 would effectively deliver 138% more compute TFLOPs power over the PS4 Pro, and Project Scarlett would hit see roughly a 67% increase from the Xbox One X's 6TFLOPs (the latter seems to be a stark contrast to Microsoft's assertions that Scarlett can deliver 4x power of the Xbox One X).

A lot of the info we already knew about, or suspected. We knew PlayStation 5 will use AMD's new RDNA core architecture in its 8-core, 16-thread Zen 2 CPU- and Navi GPU-powered SoC. Some rumors even claim the PS5's devkit sits at 13TFLOPs.

Birdo

Banned
wbbesH2.jpg

JordanN

Banned
All I ever want is compulsory 60fps in every game.
I know this sounds cliche but why do people look to consoles for 60fps and not PC?

Unless your last game console was literally a SEGA Genesis from the 90s, it's almost 3 decades now where 60fps as a standard does not exist.

It's honestly up there with people asking "Why isn't Grand Theft Auto on Nintendo"? Just make peace with the idea that if it didn't happen the last 3 console cycles, it's not going to happen the next one.

And no, you don't need a $5000 PC to play games at 60fps. I just bought a $500 PC and even though I don't game much, I can still get 1080p/60fps in any title I want. If I want more, then you obviously have to pay more.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
All I ever want is compulsory 60fps in every game.

You have a better chance of winning the lottery. Honestly if it was not for RT these consoles would of had the hardware to give 60fps in almost all games. Not any more any game in the nvidia or AMD partner program will most likely will be 30fps to accommodate heavy RT to sell graphic cards.

Everytime we hear about them they get less powerful. Original hopes were 14tf. Then 12. Now we’re talking 10. Wait for launch and we’ll be at 8.

Happened last generation also this generation is looking like it is launching a little to early and we will get underpowered devices again. Really needed 7nm uv or better to get 12 plus Tf and RT. I guess at least the CPUs won't suck.

10 navi tflops is about 14 vega tflops.

Who cares every generation has architecture efficiency improvements. Does not make the raw numbers any less disappointing.

McRazzle

With that much power it has to have something to do with AMD's proposed VLIW 2 architecture; I don't see how it could have an acceptable thermal design otherwise.

kyubajin

I know this sounds cliche but why do people look to consoles for 60fps and not PC?

Unless your last game console was literally a SEGA Genesis from the 90s, it's almost 3 decades now where 60fps as a standard does not exist.

It's honestly up there with people asking "Why isn't Grand Theft Auto on Nintendo"? Just make peace with the idea that if it didn't happen the last 3 console cycles, it's not going to happen the next one.

And no, you don't need a $5000 PC to play games at 60fps. I just bought a $500 PC and even though I don't game much, I can still get 1080p/60fps in any title I want. If I want more, then you obviously have to pay more.
I understand what you're saying and I agree, however with all the supposed power that the next gen will bring I can hope that we'll finally get 60fps on console which is my preferred way of playing games. I simply don't want to buy a PC, maintain it, upgrade it, etc. I much rather have a closed optimised system that plays all the games I like.

If true, the PS5 would effectively deliver 138% more compute TFLOPs power over the PS4 Pro, and Project Scarlett would hit see roughly a 67% increase from the Xbox One X's 6TFLOPs (the latter seems to be a stark contrast to Microsoft's assertions that Scarlett can deliver 4x power of the Xbox One X).
No it doesn't because they specifically clarified that relates directly to the CPU.

JordanN

Banned
I understand what you're saying and I agree, however with all the supposed power that the next gen will bring I can hope that we'll finally get 60fps on console which is my preferred way of playing games. I simply don't want to buy a PC, maintain it, upgrade it, etc. I much rather have a closed optimised system that plays all the games I like.
Saying you have to upgrade PC is like saying you have to buy a PS4 Pro after buying PS4. Or you had to buy the SEGA CD & 32X to go with your Genesis.

There is no rule that says a PC stops working after you turn it on. I still have my 2009 PC I could plug into the wall right now and IT WILL WORK.

The maintenance is exaggerated. If you're fine downloading updates for your console (which all of them do now and is outright mandatory) there is literally no difference to downloading updates for PC.

Last edited:
Everytime we hear about them they get less powerful. Original hopes were 14tf. Then 12. Now we’re talking 10. Wait for launch and we’ll be at 8.
Rrad the whole thing, at the end they say up to 13 in the ps5.

the latter seems to be a stark contrast to Microsoft's assertions that Scarlett can deliver 4x power of the Xbox One X
It may be overall (io perf, CPU, GPU, etc.) So games that run at 60 now will run at 240fps!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

According to user Kleegamefan, who cites a game developer as the source of next-gen console info, both the PlayStation 5 and Project Scarlett consoles will hit double-digit TFLOP performance. If true, the PS5 would effectively deliver 138% more compute TFLOPs power over the PS4 Pro, and Project Scarlett would hit see roughly a 67% increase from the Xbox One X's 6TFLOPs (the latter seems to be a stark contrast to Microsoft's assertions that Scarlett can deliver 4x power of the Xbox One X).

A lot of the info we already knew about, or suspected. We knew PlayStation 5 will use AMD's new RDNA core architecture in its 8-core, 16-thread Zen 2 CPU- and Navi GPU-powered SoC. Some rumors even claim the PS5's devkit sits at 13TFLOPs.

Why do people still keep pushing this lie that I bolded?

kyubajin

Saying you have to upgrade PC is like saying you have to buy a PS4 Pro after buying PS4. Or you had to buy the SEGA CD & 32X to go with your Genesis.

There is no rule that says a PC stops working after you turn it on. I still have my 2009 PC I could plug into the wall right now and IT WILL WORK.

The maintenance is exaggerated. If you're fine downloading updates for your console (which all of them do now and is outright mandatory) there is literally no difference to downloading updates for PC.
I agree to that as well, it's no rocket science. I'm just expressing my desire for 60fps on console, having that won't make your PC experience any worse after all ;) And some people like me just don't want to game on PC, unless it's strategy games that is :D

Xdrive05

The CPU gains will matter much more than the TFs, I hope. What, like, a 500% jump or something? Opens a lot of doors for much better simulations, physics, AIs and higher framerates (for VR esp.) That’s more exciting than pixel pushing and lighting improvements.

Last edited:

Katsura

All true but that same reasoning always makes me wonder why anyone would be hyped about console hardware upgrades. If you truly care about 60fps and the best possible quality, you should be on a high end gaming pc anyway, right?

JordanN

Banned
I agree to that as well, it's no rocket science. I'm just expressing my desire for 60fps on console, having that won't make your PC experience any worse after all ;) And some people like me just don't want to game on PC, unless it's strategy games that is :D
I'm being sincere when I'm telling you can get 60fps right now without having a Sony or Microsoft sticker to do it for you.

I encourage you to watch this video that might change your mind. This is a PC that had its guts shoved in that of a Xbox console. If someone handed you a controller, would you really be able to tell the difference that you were actually gaming on a PC and not the original Xbox?

The only real difference between console and PC are just looks. But everything else plays and behaves the same. An Xbox controller doesn't melt when hooked up to a PC. It will play games just like an Xbox could, but you have the benefit of running it at 60fps instead.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I have a Ryzen 2700x @4.3ghz with 32gb Ram and a 2080ti, and people on Gaf honestly expect the next gen consoles to even come close to it...

I say every single time.

Keep... Your expectations... In... Check.
Get ready, the idiots from the next gen console thread are about to educate you on how the PS5 will totally destroy all computers because of "coding to the metalz!!!!" and "Loading so fast you can fly at Mach 5".

All so they can play their samey third person action games :D.

Whatever though, I am sure the PS5 and XB2 will be great, and I will personally own a ps5. The idiots will eat crow just like last gen and you will be vindicated.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
All true but that same reasoning always makes me wonder why anyone would be hyped about console hardware upgrades. If you truly care about 60fps and the best possible quality, you should be on a high end gaming pc anyway, right?
In the past, consoles did offer power that PC's couldn't compete with for the same price. And did so while being "plug and play" out of the box.

However, if people do their research, consoles are no longer like this. I'm not being elitist. I've gamed on consoles since the NES.

But after comparing Xbox One/PS4 to what a low-budget PC can do, the gap is gone. PC's can do what consoles do for cheap, but with higher frame rates. Also, the same consoles are no longer "plug and play". They are exactly like PC's now where games have to be installed and require internet updates as well.

It's also true that if you want higher quality graphics, it doesn't make much sense to be excited for PS5/XB4. But that's just being realistic. It just means you shouldn't be buying your consoles for graphics anymore. You should actually be buying them for exclusive games.

Last edited:

Katsura

In the past, consoles did offer power that PC's couldn't compete with for the same price. And did so while being "plug and play" out of the box.

However, if people do their research, consoles are no longer like this. I'm not being elitist. I've gamed on consoles since the NES.

But after comparing Xbox One/PS4 to what a low-budget PC can do, the gap is gone. PC's can do what consoles do for cheap, but with higher frame rates.

It's also true that if you want higher quality graphics, it doesn't make much sense to be excited for PS5/XB4. But that's just being realistic. It just means you shouldn't be buyng your consoles for graphics anymore. You should actually be buying them for exclusive games.
I agree completely which is why the hype for new console hardware always puzzles me. I'd rather be hyped for new exclusives. Of course, i'm rarely hyped because i'm a cynical pos

Unless it's innovative hardware, in which case i could see a reason to get hyped

But after comparing Xbox One/PS4 to what a low-budget PC can do, the gap is gone. PC's can do what consoles do for cheap, but with higher frame rates. Also, the same consoles are no longer "plug and play". They are exactly like PC's now where games have to be installed and require internet updates as well.

It's also true that if you want higher quality graphics, it doesn't make much sense to be excited for PS5/XB4. But that's just being realistic. It just means you shouldn't be buyng your consoles for graphics anymore. You should actually be buying them for exclusive games.
I've never understood why it matters that I like playing on a console. PC's are great but I still like consoles. But I'm also not one that tries to claim that consoles blow PC's away in the graphics department. That's hasn't been true for a long time.

jonnyp

I'm being sincere when I'm telling you can get 60fps right now without having a Sony or Microsoft sticker to do it for you.

I encourage you to watch this video that might change your mind. This is a PC that had its guts shoved in that of a Xbox console. If someone handed you a controller, would you really be able to tell the difference that you were actually gaming on a PC and not the original Xbox?

The only real difference between console and PC are just looks. But everything else plays and behaves the same. An Xbox controller doesn't melt when hooked up to a PC. It will play games just like an Xbox could, but you have the benefit of running it at 60fps instead.

Where can I play God of War, Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, HZD et al at 60fps?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This isnt really new as it has been said when Stadia announced their numbers insiders were saying both next gen consoles were aiming to be higher then Stadia.

JordanN

Banned
Where can I play God of War, Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy, HZD et al at 60fps?
If you're being serious, there are two choices:
1. Wait for Sony/MS to remaster them on new consoles
2. Wait for PC emulation to run them at higher FPS

At least with the second option, it actually benefits everyone, because emulation helps preserve gaming history while making them run better. Whereas Sony/MS could release a game one day and say "lol suck it" and then take it down like they've done with Gravity Rush or Driveclub.

And that's just 1st party exclusives. Almost every 3rd party game now a days is multiplat in which case, the choice is clear. A PC version of the same game will always have 60fps available.

Last edited:

SAF0001

Neo Member
I think it’ll be about 10Tf and I always knew about it because performance costs money and it needs to be cooled somehow.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
So about 14tflops in comparison to the X... Holy shit. When you combine that with the 500-600% CPU compute increase, some insanely fast RAM and an SSD then it's going to be silly what the likes of Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Turn 10, Coalition, 343 and Guerrilla produce considering what they achieved on a 1.3/1.8tflop GPU base with a Jaguar CPU...

Last edited:

Meowzers

At least when buying a PS5 next year I'm not going to have to worry about upgrades, unless they release a Pro version in the future.

Consoles dominate the market and games are mainly built for them, not PC's. If they released big AAA games for PC's more, then I'd get one for gaming.

Banned
the thing is, you can't compare TFLOP numbers of the GPUs in current gen systems to TFLOP numbers of the newest AMD architecture.

Digital Foundry did test that by underclocking a new AMD gpu to be in the same TFLOP ballpark of an older one.
and even tho both card were then operating with the same amount of TFLOPs the new architecture made a notable impact.
so the new architecture alone gives a tangible performance boost.

a modern 10 TFLOP GPU is comparable to a 12 to 14 TFLOP GPU on the old architecture

Top Bottom