• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro with TWO graphics cards

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Think of it like this. Say you have 10 shots with a basketball and in order to pass you have to get all 10 shots in. Now imagine you have 5 shots and you have to get the 5 shots in to pass one stage and then 5 shots again to pass stage 2. You have to get 10 shots in for both to pass but the two perfect 5 shots are easier. It's the same with chip yield.

A single large chip has poorer yield than two small chips. Any small defect on the single large chip renders the whole chip useless (unless you sell it somewhere else with cores or GPUs disabled like AMD is alrrady doing with bad console APUs). The likelyhood of a defect on a smaller chip is lower and a defect renders less of your silicone wafer as useless. You can get two non-defective chips and put them together.

Sure, but then why doesn't the PS5 just contain 4 PS4-size APUs? It's not that simple, there are advantages to having just the one APU.

Three

Sure, but then why doesn't the PS5 just contain 4 PS4-size APUs? It's not that simple, there are advantages to having just the one APU.
1 bigger APU is definitely better than two with total equal size but if you can get better bang for your buck with two APUs due to the increased yield it is much better to go with two. More performance for a cheaper price.
The other good thing is scalability (for cloud)

Last edited:
That's the point, 4K followed the same path.
Diminishing returns man. 4K is already overkill at times, 8K is just ridiculous and not needed. Wouldn't you rather they focus on other aspects before trying to hit 8K when 4K gaming is already taxing enough?

FStubbs

Diminishing returns man. 4K is already overkill at times, 8K is just ridiculous and not needed. Wouldn't you rather they focus on other aspects before trying to hit 8K when 4K gaming is already taxing enough?
I absolutely would rather. But I think it's likely TV manufacturers will start pushing 8K to sell more TVs, which will repeat what happened with 4K.

skit_data

PS4Pro has two PS4s gpus dies + upclock. Why wouldn´t it work with the next (now) current gen consoles?
Its a much smaller transistor size than base PS4 though, so they could double it without having feed it twice the amount of power. A 7nm to 6nm transition wouldn’t result in that much lower power consumption.

At least thats what MLID pointed towards, if I understood him correctly. Makes sense at least.

Last edited:

gatti-man

PS4Pro has two PS4s gpus dies + upclock. Why wouldn´t it work with the next (now) current gen consoles?
My understanding is the PS4 pro is a double sized single chip. Not a dual gpu solution. There is a difference. I’m not saying a dual gpu Config won’t work it’s just not very efficient from what I’ve seen. Doubling the size of a single chip via taping two Gpus together isn’t the same as runningn two full gpus

Shmunter

SLI etc failed because the tech was bollox. Seperate ram pools, synchronisation overheads with complexity meant it was a pain, buggy, unreliable and difficulty to implement. A console apu from the ground up is a completely different proposition and already proven with PS4 pro.

rnlval

Scaling the GPU on the same chip minimizes the latency penalty. Typical SLI design has higher latency issues between the two GPU nodes.

Desktop Ryzen's multi-chip single package acts closer to a single chip solution.

Last edited:

PrimeX

I just want to buy a virtual ps5 pro that I never have to dust off.
Only connect the controller to the cloud ps5 pro and play the next God of War 😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom