• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro with TWO graphics cards

Drew1440

Imagining the PS5 Pro, eh? OK, obviously more power, you guys can argue about that.......

........but then I want DISK support of PS1, PS2, and yes, "no more excuses" disk-based PS3 support, to go along your current PS4 support. Go ahead and sell your extremely limited library of digital downloads of those old games if you want, but let me use my original disks.

Yeah, imagination, it's fun to think of things that will never happen.
I gave up on that and just used my PC/One X for PS1/2 back compact.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Double APUs seems like a really stupid idea. Just doubling the number of CUs like they did with PS4 Pro seems more reasonable, there's no need to also double the CPU etc.

REDRZA MWS

Double APUs seems like a really stupid idea. Just doubling the number of CUs like they did with PS4 Pro seems more reasonable, there's no need to also double the CPU etc.
Pretty sure the patent said it would be the same APU but larger and a second gpu.

I can't see a PS5 Pro being released with two GPUs myself.

Not only is it going to require a significant increase in the power requirements as well as cooling needed but we are already seeing a move away from SLI/CrossFireX support for multiple graphics cards on PC due to the issues with running two or more cards. Single GPUs are the future and much easier to develop for.

Likely, a PS5 Pro will happen once they can switch the APU design to a smaller fabrication process then that will allow for a more powerful CPU and GPU in the small die-size while still keeping mostly the same power and cooling requirements. It will also keep the costs down.

kyussman

Cool.....I've just recently decided to wait for the Pro consoles this gen.....the continued lack of availability and games being so far off(especially for Xbox)has made it an easy decision tbh.

At this point why not just build a pc? I can see modular gaming coming to the console market, but this doesn't seem the right way to introduce it.

Please no mid gen upgrades ffs. I don’t want to have a bunch of compromised, poorly optimized games like the PS4/X1 did when the Pro/X became the new target platforms. Devs figured out how to squeeze every last technical drip out of the 360 and PS3 before they got retired and that’s how it should be with the XSX/PS5.

I don't think we need a Pro model this time around.

The whole reason for the Pro systems last gen was because of 4K. People wanted to view 4K content on their 4K screens and having the PS4 only output 1080p wasn't good enough so they made the Pro which did "4K" gaming.

Now that we have 4K gaming as a standard, I don't think we need a Pro model.

hTGMpzV.png
PS5 Double Stuffed™

PerfectDark

Banned
Dual gpu's in PC's was the dumbest thing I ever seen. I was just thinking this a few days ago how that trend vanished. Now PS5 wants to bring stupidity back.

leizzra

Dual GPU has sense only when you have 2x the power of single GPU. In PC space it never was this good. It had some bump plus more RAM and that's it. Dual GPU could be great if each GPU would render different frame but that has it's own issues, so no.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
A die shrink to 5/4nm would make a 80CU PS5P SoC cost roughly the same as the current PS5 Chip, going dual GPU either by stacking or chiplet just doesn't make economic sense.

Kenpachii

U guys laugh at him, but he's not that far off.

MCM design is what basically is going to be the next GPU's of AMD and Nvidia starting with hopper where multiple gpu clusters are working together.

AMD-Active-Bridge-Chiplet-For-Next-Gen-RDNA-3-Graphics-Architecture-Based-GPUs-APUs-_1.png

If they pull this stuff forwards, u can expect PS4 pro already to happen at the next die shrink most likely after this gpu which comes probably in 2-3 years from now which is the perfect time for sony.

Sony needs about 4x the processing power most likely, its something they probably focus on, which this design will give perfectly fine.

Last edited:

tkscz

Seems like a waste of resources if it's a "Pro" edition. Games on it will always be held back by the original model, with some added graphical upgrades. I'd rather this be the PS6 than a pro PS5.

FStubbs

I don't think we need a Pro model this time around.

The whole reason for the Pro systems last gen was because of 4K. People wanted to view 4K content on their 4K screens and having the PS4 only output 1080p wasn't good enough so they made the Pro which did "4K" gaming.

Now that we have 4K gaming as a standard, I don't think we need a Pro model.
8K TVs ...

FStubbs

So you're saying 8K is worth it? Would you want all that extra power going to more pixels? 8K actually is useless.

4K on the other hand is a noticeable bump up from 1080p and even 1440p.
You needed a 65" TV if you're sitting 8 feet away for 4K to be worth it and yet plenty of smaller 4K TVs are sold.

Akuji

So you're saying 8K is worth it? Would you want all that extra power going to more pixels? 8K actually is useless.

4K on the other hand is a noticeable bump up from 1080p and even 1440p.
Yeah i think 4k is pretty good for on screen information. So a 4k upscale to 8k is something i think would Benefit iq.

I play on a projector So i dont get 8k for a while because the lens alone to get such a sharp Image costs thousends.

Amiga

Pretty sure the patent said it would be the same APU but larger and a second gpu.
the APU is a combination of CPU+GPU on one die. I think it would be 1Cpu+2GPUs on this new die.

VR should scale great with this. the PS5 Pro could render a VR game with same fidelity as a PS5 game.

Three

It could actually be genius but it won't have as good performance as a single APU. Two small size APUs connected can improve yield.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nothing about 2 GPUs makes anysense. sony could easily put one powerful gpu in a new model and kill any kind of dual lesser gpu combination you could come up with for a lot less money and power draw. This rumor is silly at best.

Last edited:

Three

I don't really see how that would be genius compared to just making the GPU larger.
Think of it like this. Say you have 10 shots with a basketball and in order to pass you have to get all 10 shots in. Now imagine you have 5 shots and you have to get the 5 shots in to pass one stage and then 5 shots again to pass stage 2. You have to get 10 shots in for both to pass but the two perfect 5 shots are easier. It's the same with chip yield.

A single large chip has poorer yield than two small chips. Any small defect on the single large chip renders the whole chip useless (unless you sell it somewhere else with cores or GPUs disabled like AMD is alrrady doing with bad console APUs). The likelyhood of a defect on a smaller chip is lower and a defect renders less of your silicone wafer as useless. You can get two non-defective chips and put them together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom