• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro with TWO graphics cards

[Sigma]

Just looking at the title and how the article is written makes me automatically dismiss this. Looking at the other stuff coming from that website, it makes sense. I'm not taking this seriously.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They should do it as a pr move right now, just like the ps5 digital, only make like 10,000 of them and declare they have by far, the world's most powerfull console.

Is coil whine the latest FUD?

Mines whisper quiet

vMz9Grr.gif

VFXVeteran

Banned
Just no.

BTW we don't need a PS5 Pro this gen.

I can't believe you said that.. because I 100% agree with you!

Not seeing a Pro edition of this elk - at all. Patents can be filed but don't mean they are iterated on. AMD/Nvidia has veered away from SLI configurations and it was a pain in the ass for PC games to work with them. With Sony going in the direction of supporting the PC with their games, I don't see the developers making their game engines have 2 paths. It would be cumbersome and take a lot of time to develop on due to complicated code - then only to get the rug pulled out from under them when the PS6 arrives as a more powerful *single* GPU.

Last edited:

Concern

I can't believe you said that.. because I 100% agree with you!

Not seeing a Pro edition of this elk - at all. Patents can be filed but don't mean they are iterated on. AMD/Nvidia has veered away from SLI configurations and it was a pain in the ass for PC games to work with them. With Sony going in the direction of supporting the PC with their games, I don't see the developers making their game engines have 2 paths. It would be cumbersome and take a lot of time to develop on due to complicated code - then only to get the rug pulled out from under them when the PS6 arrives as a more powerful *single* GPU.

He's only saying it out of spite that he bought a Ps5 already :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Me choosing to wait and scalpers making sure I don't cave to fomo, makes this very intriguing for me lol. But double coil whine :messenger_grimmacing_

RoboFu

One of the green rats
not really how apus works but ok. It would be a tremendous waste of resources as it would basically be crossfired.

It’s better just to make a single gpu with more processors.

Super fake.

HeresJohnny

What a great idea! Put the idea out there that a better machine may be right around the corner and that the customer would be much wiser to wait. Genius!

Pimpbaa

Who the fuck refers to an APU as a "graphics card"? That just reeks of I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

rnlval

"Just as the dust has begun to settle on the PS5 and Xbox Series X console launches, with the Microsoft flagship officially crowned the most powerful video game console on Earth, comes what could be our very first hint at Sony's incoming PS5 Pro counter attack.

That's because in an official Sony Interactive Entertainment patent published this year the console maker describes a new games console that comes with not just one graphics card, but two. A two-GPU next-gen games console? Whoa!

The patent describes a 'scalable game console' where 'a second GPU [is] communicatively coupled to the first GPU' and that the system is for 'home console and cloud gaming' usage.

To us here at T3 that suggests a next-gen PlayStation console, most likely a new PS5 Pro flagship, supercharged with two graphics cards instead of just one. These would both come in the APU (accelerated processing unit) format that the PlayStation 5's system-on-a-chip (SoC) do, with two custom made AMD APUs working together to deliver enhanced gaming performance and cloud streaming.

The official Sony patent notes that, 'plural SoCs may be used to provide a “high-end” version of the console with greater processing and storage capability', while 'the “high end” system can also contain more memory such as random-access memory (RAM) and other features and may also be used for a cloud-optimized version using the same game console chip with more performance.'

And, with the PlayStation 5 console only marginally weaker on paper than the Xbox Series X (the PS5 delivers 10.28 teraflops compared to the Xbox Series X's 12 teraflops), a new PS5 Pro console that comes with two APUs rather than one, improving local gaming performance as well as cloud gaming, would be no doubt the Xbox Series X as king of the next-gen consoles death blow.

The cloud gaming part of the patent is particularly interesting, too, as it seems to suggest that this technology could not just find itself in a new flagship PS5 Pro console, but also in more streamlined cloud-based hardware, too. An upgraded PS5 Digital Edition seems a smart bet, as too the much-rumoured PSP 5G.

And, simply put, the other big question this patent raises is that if this technology does lead to a PS5 Pro console, is Microsoft prepared? Right now Microsoft is still nursing its wounds from the last-gen console war, where it was firmly beaten by Sony (Sony sold more than twice the amount of PS4 consoles than Microsoft sold Xbox One consoles), so without facing down any new hardware from Sony with something as good if not better, it would leave itself exposed to a second straight console-gen defeat.

Will we see a PS5 Pro anytime soon? Here at T3 we think absolutely not – we imagine we'll get at least two straight years of PS5 before we see anything at all. As for a cloud-based next-gen PSP 5G, though...
That's unlikely when Sony has near consistent chip area size budget since PS4.

PS4 = 348 mm2, 28 nm
PS4 Pro = ~321 mm2, 16 nm

PS5 = ~309 mm2, 7 nm

BiG NAVI RX 6800 XT is already 2X of PS5.

Last edited:

Romulus

cost of parts isn't going down this time so good luck with that.

I'd love a 1000$ enthusiast machine though.

And I don't think people would mind paying $1000 for $2000 performance. I don't think itll be that much though. Maybe $800 and the current scalper situation shows that people are willing to pay premiums if the games and tech are there.

consoul

T3 trying their best to invent a story.

Shoehorning in PSP 5G a couple of times for good measure.

Last edited:

Romulus

If it takes them over 2 years just to get started on proper next gen games then there wouldn't be any point in replacing them in 4-5 years. I'd rather a longer generation with a much more significant step up for the for the gen after.

The problem is current gen games are hitting 4k 60fps but without RT and next gen graphics.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still won’t touch my 3080. But please do release a better PS5 immediately so developers will stop gimping my PC games because of this weak console hardware.

Last edited:

Smether

I have no doubt Sony will come out with a hardware revision in two or three years, be it a slim or a pro or simply an update one of the current models, but I doubt it will be as simple as two GPU or external GPU. That didn’t work on pc for power and cooling reasons, I can’t imagine it would be any easier on console.

Wouldn't surprise me if true. It seems like it would be like the PS4 Pro, which basically had two PS4 GPUs within one APU. Probably would be using the upcoming 5nm tech to keep the APU a reasonable size.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Sorry but this is pure shit .. at least now. We just took our new consoles and you talk about a pro?!

4 years from now .. it will be acceptable to talk about it not to release it!

Neo_game

If they do release the Pro, there is very good chance it would be 72CU, like 6800XT. May be the SLI setup would be cheaper ? But as other said a single big gpu is more efficient. IMO if Xbox SS tanks in some years and PS5, SX can come down to around 300$ they might consider Pro models to extend this gen. Though this is probably unlikely.

Rayderism

Meh.......wouldn't surprise me if a PS5 Pro did happen in a couple years. Better raytracing would be my guess as one of its main features, as well as better 8K support, or something like that.

Hudo

How fucking big do you want this thing to be? I expect the Slim and Pro versions to be smaller not double the size, man.

NinjaBoiX

Lol, maybe we don't but we didn't need it last gen either and we got it. There will be Pro, it is certain. That is why I haven't bought 5 yet.
I’ve not bought a PS5 yet because there’s hardly any games and I want to wait a couple of months for them to iron out the kinks.

I sure as shit ain’t waiting 3-4 years for the Pro revision though, fuck that.

Kumomeme

by having 2 gpu, isnt it gonna consume more power and output more heat? how smartshift gonna function later?

TriSuit666

Banned
I’m still clinging to it with dual 2080’s. Needless to say, I pretty much never benefit from it because of the lack of support.

Exactly, it requires devs to support it, and I doubt there'll be a rush to make it happen.

And in fact nvidia stopped adding new sli profiles in January this year.

Top Bottom