• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

rofif

Banned
I usually don't give a fuck what Sony does most of the time but raising prices this way is a shit move.

Was gunna grab the new controller and GoW but yeah screw that now.

I really hope this bites them in the ass for a long time.
Rising price what way would be good?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The Switch is a Hybrid console, so both a handheld and home console rolled into one.

Due to it's vague "generation", it's not worth mentioning. Handhelds should be kept on their category until chips are too tiny and we can see impressive performances out of them, and not talking about Steam Deck.

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Rising price what way would be good?
From the perspective of a customer this is the worst time to raise your prices. I get that it's a luxury item but timing it before the holidays considering it is much easier to get one in this economic landscape just leaves a bad taste.

Mozza

Due to it's vague "generation", it's not worth mentioning. Handhelds should be kept on their category until chips are too tiny and we can see impressive performance out of them, and not talking about Steam Deck.
Like I said it's neither a pure handheld or home console it's both, and the power does not determine what it is.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Like I said it's neither a pure handheld or home console it's both, and the power does not determine what it is.

Yeah I'm with you, only meant that it's hard to place it in the same generation when it can't play all that generation games with comparable or at least competent specs. Brilliant for what it is.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The chip is the biggest factor that determines the cost. Even the unsymmetrical memory setup for SX is not common. It uses 10 GB of 320bit bus interface and the remaining 6GB is 192bit. PS5 has symmetrical 256bit instead for whole 16GB which is standard for decades. Sony also cheaped out in cooling as well. The heat sink is smaller than SX, they are using liquid metal at least but heat pipe instead of vapor chamber like what Microsoft is doing with SX. High end laptop also uses vapor chamber. Even the SSD in PS5 is soldered into the motherboard. Moreover SX motherboard is divided into two parts which is again a unique design. Only the PSU is PS5 is bigger than SX 350 vs 315 but they both use same power and neither will never use more than 250 watts I guess. I do not think those side plates or plastic stand that comes with PS5 makes it expensive lol. Probably the controller is where Sony spent some money as SX is pretty much the same controller. But I am not sure even about that as some people complain that built quality is not great ?

A lot of what you have mentioned is not expensive. Ms designed it the way they designed it and Sony designed their pcb the way they did. There's no real difference there. It's costs come down to actual chips. So memory chips cost what it costs. They just solder components onto two pcbs which are connected by a ribbon cable.

Ssd is all of the shelf stuff. Sonys is custom designed.

The most money will be lost in the size and weight and shipping costs in the current climate.

BOM on the console will be pretty close I think.

Last edited:

yurinka

Damn, you're right. Just found this post that quotes from Electronics Gaming Magazine and adjusts for inflation. So if this is the case, $70 two gens later isn't necessarily out of the ordinary, save for the fact that other, arguably more profitable, monetization options exist now.

System (year)Game cost in USD at system launch yearAdjusted for inflation as of December 2010
NES (1986)29.99-49.9959.79-99.65
SNES (1991)49.99-59.9980.17-96.21
N64 (1996)49.9969.60
PS2 (2000)49.9963.41
Xbox 360 (2005)59.9967.10
11 years ago
I'll update this table to last month inflation using this website using June of these years -middle of the year- as month:

System (year)Game cost in USD at system launch yearAdjusted for inflation as of July 2022
NES (June 1986)29.99-49.9981.07-135.14
SNES (June 1991)49.99-59.99108.90-130.69
N64 (June 1996)49.9994.52
PS2 (June 2000)49.9985.91
Xbox 360 (June 2005)59.9991.38

Not sure if these USD prices for retro platforms were that cheap, I remember them to be more expensive here in Spain. These prices sound completely fake.

But if the question is if the $70/80€ prices we're seeing for mostly next gen only AAA games on PS and Xbox are still cheaper than they were in the older generation updating them with inflation the answer is yes.

No sales reporting company has all data.

That would require every retailer, e-store, mom and pop shop, wholesaler in the world.... willingly submitting their sales data to them. You'll never get that.

How research companies work is they have two sets of data.

Concrete data they get actual sales from sources. And then an extrapolated number where they use methodology and use that number and do some fancy math and algorithms to estimate what missing sales they got and add it to the first number they got to estimate a grand total number.
Console makers get reported periodically from the retailers about the sold units, and also know them with their shipments. Console makers know how many consoles they sell. And they can give this info to market analysts like Ampere in the same way they give them game sales data or any type of data.

Last edited:

Mozza

Yeah I'm with you, only meant that it's hard to place it in the same generation when it can't play all that generation games with comparable or at least competent specs. Brilliant for what it is.
True and I have never seen it as such, I play Nintendo games on it, the other two powerhouses are there for those triple AAA games.

Your personal opinion, to me it's a hybrid console, no biggie if we don't happen to agree.
Nintendo is just using it's marketing team to position their product in a space where it will sell more. How is the Switch any different with PSP 2000/3000 PSPGo? Al of those had tv out, dock, bluetooth connection with dualshock 3 etc...
How is the new pokemon any different from the older ones in any scope etc....

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
We are already doing it. Once Sony is exposed they'll be forced to raise the price in the US, then they'll finally be doomed and will be forced to remove Jim Ryan from the PlayStation throne.
yes-sir-yes-boss.gif

Mozza

Nintendo is just using it's marketing team to position their product in a space where it will sell more. How is the Switch any different with PSP 2000/3000 PSPGo? Al of those had tv out, dock, bluetooth connection with dualshock 3 etc...
How is the new pokemon any different from the older ones in any scope etc....
Well it's worked the thing is selling very well, but I would agree with you on the PSP etc, apart from the fact the Switch has a dedicated dock to connect to the T.V that was included in the box, and advertised as such etc etc...

Not sure why it being a hybrid upsets some so much, or if indeed it's a handheld as they suggest, why this would somehow detract from it's success.

Last edited:
Well it's worked the thing is selling very well, but I would agree with you on the PSP etc, apart from the fact the Switch has a dedicated dock to connect to the T.V that was included in the box, and advertised as such etc etc...

Not sure why it being a hybrid upsets some so much, or if indeed it's a handheld as they suggest, why this would somehow detract from it's success.
You got me wrong. I am not trying to undermine any of its success or think that a handheld is a lesser product. It's very clever on Nintendo's part that using the 'hybrid' marketing managed to up their price for the console and games from 40 to 60 without any backlash from the fans/fanboys. Untill the PSVita/3DS era if you remember there was a certain thinking from some consumers/fans that handhelds and their games were a lesser experience from their console brothers and made from b-tier studios and that's why they costed 40 instead of 60. Now you buy the same pokemon games from the same studios for 60 etc. Marketing trick from Nintendo to up the perceived value of their product and games. I love my handlelds and their games a ton, but in the end a laptop with an external mouse and keyboard and hdmi out is still a laptop and not a desktop.

Last edited:
Europe
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
UK
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥54,980 yen
PS5 Digital Edition – ¥44,980 yen
China
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
Australia
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
Mexico
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
Canada
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99
Singapore
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – SGD 799
PS5 Digital Edition – SGD 669
Malaysia
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MYR 2,499
PS5 Digital Edition – MYR 2,069
Indonesia
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – IDR 9,699,000
PS5 Digital Edition – IDR 8,199,000
Thailand
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – THB 18,690
PS5 Digital Edition – THB 15,690
Philippines
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – PHP 30,790
Vietnam
PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – VND 15,990,000

*Select markets in EMEA, APAC, and LATAM not listed above may also receive price increases. Please check with your local retailer.

Then cases in which Sega, SNK and NEC have officially increase the MSRP price of an existing console SKU?

Game Gear/Sega CD, Neo Geo Pocket, Turbo Duo.

But of course, they aren't as broad as Sony since they sell in a lot more countries than any of these consoles ever had.

Mozza

You got me wrong. I am not trying to undermine any or its success or think that a handheld is a lesser product. It's very clever on Nintendo's part that using the 'hybrid' marketing managed to up their price for the console and games from 40 to 60 without any backlash from the fans/fanboys. Untill the PSVita/3DS era if you remember there was a certain thinking from some consumers/fans that handhelds and their games were a lesser experience from their console brothers and made from b-tier studios and that's why they costed 40 instead of 60. Now you buy the same pokemon games from the same studios for 60 etc. Marketing trick from Nintendo to up the perceived value of their product and games. I love my handlelds and their games a ton, but in the end a laptop with an external mouse and keyboard and hdmi out is still a laptop and not a desktop.
I think the fact the Switch is not mainly bought by the core has helped more, it's wider demographic obviously sees some value in it, by the way I did not mean you specifically when I stayed some wanted to lessen it's success. The really funny thing is it's not directly competing with either of Sony or Microsoft's consoles, even though it keeps getting compared to them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Smart design on the IO and SSD (Lame)
Off the shelf much slower SSD (Cool)

More performance out of smaller chip, and partly slower but more versatile RAM (Lame)
Big slow chip and bastardised split memory pool(Cool)

New controller with haptics and adaptive triggers(Lame)
Last gen controller (Cool)

Sure Jan GIF

Even with increased price one gets more with PS5.
Yes, I'm sure everyone playing games on their PS5 will take comfort in knowing that the extra money they have to spend is worth it because Sony is using a proprietary I/O and storage solution. In the end that's what really matters.

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

3liteDragon

Got mine last month from Best Buy (Digital Edition HFW bundle), the thing that sucks is where I live, Sony never charged sales tax for PSN games before. So an $80 game would be $80 period, this was due to a loophole in federal law which stated that only companies which have a physical presence in my country had to charge sales tax (MS & Nintendo).

Then it was announced in Nov 2020 that companies selling digital goods in Canada like PlayStation & Netflix would also have to charge sales tax as well & that rule went into effect in July 2021.

I didn’t even know this until I added Ragnarök to my wishlist & just wanted to check the cost, standard PS5 edition went from $89.99 to $101, that’s how I found out. Honestly sucks, but Ragnarök & maybe Requiem might be the only 2 games I get day one this year.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Console makers get reported periodically from the retailers about the sold units, and also know them with their shipments. Console makers know how many consoles they sell. And they can give this info to market analysts like Ampere in the same way they give them game sales data or any type of data.
Thats not the way point of sales data tracking is done.

Thats shipment sales data assuming a manufacturer is willing to tell them what it is.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
especially since euro and dollar value are more or less equal at the moment.
Or how Japan got a price increase, yet currency exchange effects dont affect local sales since they report their quarterly earnings in Yen. Even then, Sony stated currency exchange is a factor in price hikes.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes, I'm sure everyone playing games on their PS5 will take comfort in knowing that the extra money they have to spend is worth it because Sony is using a proprietary I/O and storage solution. In the end that's what really matters.

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine
;)… as if the XSX’s design or PS5’s one were the reason one could avoid raising the prices and the other could not. That much more expensive to make? If you say so…

I'm sure they will, Sony really are sticking it to their loyal customers this generation. Ridiculous first party game prices, charging to upgrade to PS5 version and now increasing a console price 2 years after it was released 😳
Yup ..add $70 LoU1 remake to that list with no discount to their most loyal fans who bought that game not once but twice! Also, it took Sony such a long time to update the Ps5 for VRR and even expandable SSD storage. It all adds up to a company that treats their most loyal customers like shit.

Yup ..add $70 LoU1 remake to that list with no discount to their most loyal fans who bought that game not once but twice! Also, it took Sony such a long time to update the Ps5 for VRR and even expandable SSD storage. It all adds up to a company that treats their most loyal customers like shit.
Why they keep buying it though? You almost make it seem like they like the game or something, imagine that.

Last edited:

NT80

Does this mean a PS5 Pro is highly unlikely and is this generation going to last 10 years the way things are going?

Does this mean a PS5 Pro is highly unlikely and is this generation going to last 10 years the way things are going?
Makes the PS5 Pro even more likely and probably more expensive, it was always inevitable anyway. Sony is pretty aware of how much NVidia is able to charge for their more expensive GPUs, they know there is a market for an even more premium PlayStation.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Got mine last month from Best Buy (Digital Edition HFW bundle), the thing that sucks is where I live, Sony never charged sales tax for PSN games before. So an $80 game would be $80 period, this was due to a loophole in federal law which stated that only companies which have a physical presence in my country had to charge sales tax (MS & Nintendo).

Then it was announced in Nov 2020 that companies selling digital goods in Canada like PlayStation & Netflix would also have to charge sales tax as well & that rule went into effect in July 2021.

I didn’t even know this until I added Ragnarök to my wishlist & just wanted to check the cost, standard PS5 edition went from $89.99 to $101, that’s how I found out. Honestly sucks, but Ragnarök & maybe Requiem might be the only 2 games I get day one this year.
I was in Canada earlier this year and HATED the two sales tax. I thought the 8% tax was bad but then they added another 5% tax for some other thing. 13% sales tax is fucking bullshit.

Thank god for the conversion rate.

Absolutely, those loading times:messenger_blowing_kiss::messenger_ok:, even a remaster of a last gen game showed that 12900k(mrsp higher than PS5) can't brute force to match that IO.

PaintTinJr

If this price increase has zero impact on quelling demand for the PS5, I wonder if this signifies that the size of dedicated gamer PlayStation audience has grown significantly through the PS4 generation.

Although price increases aren't good for the consumers that end up paying for them, I have to wonder if the overall impact will be better for the late arrivals - those buying beyond an initial 50/60M sales - where I would expect the eventual price cuts will be bigger and more generous when inflation levels out and the h/w production costs fall because the mindset of those buying at this price point and later, might be more stark, requiring PlayStation to absorb these gains - and more -later to keep the h/w sales from falling off a cliff.

PlayStation having more headroom for profitability might also help them fund increased producing - beyond what they were already on course for- which in turn helps bring down their hardware mfr costs sooner, recursively leading to sooner price cuts for the late arrivals.

In many ways it is also a bit of a marketing move of the "reassuringly expensive" ilk, which looking at Xbox could be a double negative for them - as they are charging less, and in turn letting consumers infer the desirability of their consoles with gamers is already less.

tommib

you almost never hear Digital Foundry criticise controls in their tech reviews, but it seems the controller aiming in Ghostwire is so bad that even Digital Foundry saw the need to at least mention it in the video.

so I'd stay far away from the console version.
the UE4 stutters in this game also seem to be relatively minor
This is such an exaggeration. You can even lock on to enemies Metroi Prime style. There’s nothing wrong with the aiming on consoles. You’ll only miss if you’re blind and can’t hold a controller. It has that Metroid Prime/Killzone 2 weight to it.

Top Bottom