• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Possibly

But he defended his position with numbers that didn't add up and trusts his site that uses "estimates" over another site that uses "estimates"

Its totally possible thats how the numbers will end up eventually but sorry I feel he 100% dropped that 2:1 to poke people and then couldn't back up his claim

I like Bo, I have spoken often with him off these boards but he knew what he was doing

Anyway, that'll become a reality in the very near future. Some people expected competition but it's clear to all now that there is none and PlayStation will continue its streak of undisputed #1 since 1995.

Woggleman

I am not saying I agree with it but everything including groceries, eating out and the rent are going up so why should electronics be any different? I would say the same thing if Microsoft was doing it and they most likely will later down the road but more quietly.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wasn't a part of this conversation between you and Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , but I think he meant that PS4 was outselling Xbox by a ratio 1.4 around this time frame. The end result was more than 2:1. PS5 is outselling Xbox X|S by a ratio of almost 1.6. So the end gap is pacing to be even bigger than 2:1.
You should read it from the beginning. Bo fan warriored a 2:1 ratio post, got it wrong and then changed the subject saying he meant it'll be 2:1 years later.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Anyway, that'll become a reality in the very near future. Some people expected competition but it's clear to all now that there is none and PlayStation will continue its streak of undisputed #1 since 1995.
Possibly, probably and happy for you guys that pledge allegiance to one box and can come to forums and brag about how many units your box sold in countries around the world

I have always actually prefer PS until recent events and still game daily on my PS5 on 2 accounts but I honestly don't give two shits about which console sells most world wide

I mean obviously Sony won't be losing its market share for this decision since people are buying the PS5 for more than its retail price already...but it still sucks tbh.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Possibly, probably and happy for you guys that pledge allegiance to one box and can come to forums and brag about how many units your box sold in countries around the world

I have always actually prefer PS until recent events and still game daily on my PS5 on 2 accounts but I honestly don't give two shits about which console sells most world wide

I love you, mate, but this thread is for people who do care and we're already 30 pages into it with more than 1.4K posts. I do care because success for Sony means more of the games I love.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I love you, mate, but this thread is for people who do care and we're already 30 pages into it with more than 1.4K posts. I do care because success for Sony means more of the games I love.
Its about people caring about a price increase and you tried to manipulate it into something different with bogus number so please don't act like a victim when you get called on it

I am done with this topic and wont be replying anymore as we have said our peace

We can carry it on in other forms of media if needed just not here

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
price hike in Hong Kong & Taiwan

• 香港
    • 搭載Ultra HD藍光光碟機的PS5主機 – HKD 4,380
    • PS5數位版主機 – HKD 3,580
  • 台灣
    • 搭載Ultra HD藍光光碟機的PS5主機 – NTD 17,580
    • PS5數位版主機 – NTD 14,580
Price hike in Korea

• 한국
    • PS5 Ultra HD Blu-ray 디스크 드라이브 탑재 버전 – KRW 688,000
    • PS5 디지털 에디션 – KRW 558,000

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know right.
We already know the reason for the price increase. I don't know why some fail to understand.
With how inflation has been in the US I am shocked they didn't raise prices here as I know shipping costs have gone up dramatically since these consoles launched

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Its about people caring about a price increase and you tried to manipulate it into something different with bogus number so please don't act like a victim when you get called on it

I am done with this topic and wont be replying anymore as we have said our peace

We can carry it on in other forms of media if needed just not here

Just to give you a perspective: PS5's have been sold here for $559 since day one (excluding VAT, 5% here), so no biggie. If you check many other markets, you'll see that you guys are just catching up. When "so-called" less rich countries enjoy big sales yet with a slightly higher price, you would easily see that increase won't do a dent in their momentum on their other bigger markets despite the outcry.

Last edited:
That's not how it works bud. It's not obviously more expensive at all. It actually has everything in its favour outside of that larger chip in the series x.

No it doesn’t

- Larger chip
- More expensive cooling solution
- No in-house components
- No in-house assembly
- Less volume, lower economies of scale

Sony is an electronics company with higher sales volume. They can absolutely produce the PS5 at a cheaper cost than XSX

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Possibly

But he defended his position with numbers that didn't add up and trusts his site that uses "estimates" over another site that uses "estimates"

Its totally possible thats how the numbers will end up eventually but sorry I feel he 100% dropped that 2:1 to poke people and then couldn't back up his claim

I like Bo, I have spoken often with him off these boards but he knew what he was doing
Okay :)

Though just FYI -- Unlike VGChartz, Ampere Analysis (which reported these numbers) is a very reputed and credible firm.

CNBC quotes them. MS and Sony executives are also regularly in touch with them for analysis and reports. Aaron Greenberg's tweet from yesterday:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
With how inflation has been in the US I am shocked they didn't raise prices here as I know shipping costs have gone up dramatically since these consoles launched

You would laugh if I told you that sometimes I do buy things that shipping them cost more than the item itself, like once I bought a spare wheel and ended up paying 300% the price due to its weight. But needed specific specs to match the other 4 I got.

Zathalus

I wasn't a part of this conversation between you and Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem , but I think he meant that PS4 was outselling Xbox by a ratio 1.4 around this time frame. The end result was more than 2:1. PS5 is outselling Xbox X|S by a ratio of almost 1.6. So the end gap is pacing to be even bigger than 2:1.
PS4 was outselling Xbox one by around 2.1:1 in this time frame. 25 vs 12 million.

Kagey K

Banned
Okay :)

Though just FYI -- Unlike VGChartz, Ampere Analysis (which reported these numbers) is a very reputed and credible firm.

CNBC quotes them. MS and Sony executives are also regularly in touch with them for analysis and reports. Aaron Greenberg's tweet from yesterday:

Amperes numbers are impossible. MS said Series consoles were tracking higher than 360 at the last earnings report. Amperes estimates are far below where 360 was at the time.

I'd much rather be Microsoft than Sony if I had a choice.
I rather be myself and not a company.

Amperes numbers are impossible. MS said Series consoles were tracking higher than 360 at the last earnings report. Amperes estimates are far below where 360 was at the time.
No they are not, you are just assuming the Xbox was higher then this at this point in time but it was not. The 360 didn't have a great pace of sales, it arrived earlier into the market and it's sales were boosted by Kinect later on.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They didnt in the US because Xbox is right there. In most other countries, PS5 is winning by a much larger number so they can afford to goose it up 10% knowing that it'll sell anyway.

So it shows they are being strategic in the revenue model. If all things were equal, increasing the price $30 or $50 in the US would be the best starting option as the US sells the most consoles vs. any other country (and possibly region although I dont know if the US outsells UK/EU combined). Instead, the US got zero increase.

tmlDan

In that case, Sony should be embarrassed that millions more consumers around the world find owning a "handheld toy" more enjoyable than owning a PS5 console.
who are you to decide whats more enjoyable, if revenue for sony is almost 8 billion more than nintendo than id say they find Sony more enjoyable.

who are you to decide whats more enjoyable, if revenue for sony is almost 8 billion more than nintendo than id say they find Sony more enjoyable.
Oh, I've been told by mainly Sony warriors that hardware unit counts are what matters most, and by that metric Nintendo Wii and Switch have blown PlayStation 3, 4, and 5 out of the water. I guess the comparison point can change to revenue when hardware sales no longer seem favorable to you LOL

Toilet Err GIF

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It was real, but it it wasn't only Microsoft. Sony and Nintendo did platform licensing, too. If the platform holder published the game the $10 didn't apply. But if Activision, EA, the developer, etc published they paid a platform license fee.

Pretty good article from when gaming journalism didn't suck.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Thank you for that story/link. I’d been looking for one like that a while back.

The final cost of publishing a game that we'll delve into is the distribution of the game, and that's the process of getting the game sold to wholesalers and then to retailers where you'll then have a chance to buy it. Wholesalers typically pay around $30 per game and with the costs of getting the goods to the wholesalers, any co-op advertising or marketing, and return of good contingencies being roughly $14 per game, the publisher is going to typically get $16 for every unit sold.

And now with digital storefronts taking over the publisher is getting 70%-100% of every sale.
While games cost more to make, publishers are also making way more money on each sale. And that’s not even getting into MTX, Season Passes, and DLC.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They should because they have access to full sales data. There's a thread about this now.

No sales reporting company has all data.

That would require every retailer, e-store, mom and pop shop, wholesaler in the world.... willingly submitting their sales data to them. You'll never get that.

How research companies work is they have two sets of data.

Concrete data they get actual sales from sources. And then an extrapolated number where they use methodology and use that number and do some fancy math and algorithms to estimate what missing sales they got and add it to the first number they got to estimate a grand total number.

No sales reporting company has all data.

That would require every retailer, e-store, mom and pop shop, wholesaler in the world.... willingly submitting their sales data to them. You'll never get that.

How research companies work is they have two sets of data.

Concrete data they get actual sales from sources. And then an extrapolated number where they use methodology and use that number and do some fancy math and algorithms to estimate what missing sales they got and add it to the first number they got to estimate a grand total number.
No, no, no, absolutely wrong. Only the numbers that make me feel superior can be right. Please stop making up this stuff. Extrapolated, methodology and algorithms aren't even words.:messenger_winking:

Neo_game

That's not how it works bud. It's not obviously more expensive at all. It actually has everything in its favour outside of that larger chip in the series x.

Also, this thread has gone crazy. All sides going nuts off this news.

Sony can't take an L.

The chip is the biggest factor that determines the cost. Even the unsymmetrical memory setup for SX is not common. It uses 10 GB of 320bit bus interface and the remaining 6GB is 192bit. PS5 has symmetrical 256bit instead for whole 16GB which is standard for decades. Sony also cheaped out in cooling as well. The heat sink is smaller than SX, they are using liquid metal at least but heat pipe instead of vapor chamber like what Microsoft is doing with SX. High end laptop also uses vapor chamber. Even the SSD in PS5 is soldered into the motherboard. Moreover SX motherboard is divided into two parts which is again a unique design. Only the PSU is PS5 is bigger than SX 350 vs 315 but they both use same power and neither will never use more than 250 watts I guess. I do not think those side plates or plastic stand that comes with PS5 makes it expensive lol. Probably the controller is where Sony spent some money as SX is pretty much the same controller. But I am not sure even about that as some people complain that built quality is not great ?

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Sony fanboy here, but feel it's the wrong move, especially from a PR perspective.

Europeans are in for a very harsh Winter / Spring money wise and the Japanese market is already falling out of love with PlayStation.

Should have just kept the price fixed and taken the hit on profits and worked on releasing a more cost effective model later next year in my opinion.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony fanboy here, but feel it's the wrong move, especially from a PR perspective.

Europeans are in for a very harsh Winter / Spring money wise and the Japanese market is already falling out of love with PlayStation.

Should have just kept the price fixed and taken the hit on profits and worked on releasing a more cost effective model later next year in my opinion.
If they can get away with it, then there's no reason why they shouldn't increase the price, from a companies perspective.

Go_Ly_Dow

If they can get away with it, then there's no reason why they shouldn't increase the price, from a companies perspective.

I agree, but that's quite a gamble to take as it could mean a lot less market share as the Series S/X can fill the Playstation void for some. Less market share means less consoles sold, less consoles means less games sold which could be hundreds of millions lost in revenues.

I'm not a fan of the gamepass model but Microsoft is clearly able to communicate its affordability value, particularly for parents with kids. So it's bad PR for Sony as this is highly reported on during a time when living costs are ithe hottest topic. Also easy positive PR for the likes of Nintendo who can come out say "look at us, we're not raising the price on our already inflated and profitable old hardware!".

Seems like a big gamble and very bad for PR.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The current major news in the UK is the energy cost crisis. From October, the typical energy bill will be £3,549. This is a jump of around 80%. On top of that you have the highest inflation rates for over 40 years and rising interest rates.

If Sony think they're going to sell more PS5 consoles in the UK by hiking up the price then they're dreaming. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft and Nintendo cleared up in the UK this Christmas.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree, but that's quite a gamble to take as it could mean a lot less market share as the Series S/X can fill the Playstation void for some. Less market share means less consoles sold, less consoles means less games sold which could be hundreds of millions lost in revenues.

I'm not a fan of the gamepass model but Microsoft is clearly able to communicate its affordability value, particularly for parents with kids. So it's bad PR for Sony as this is highly reported on during a time when living costs are ithe hottest topic. Also easy positive PR for the likes of Nintendo who can come out say "look at us, we're not raising the price on our already inflated and profitable old hardware!".

Seems like a big gamble and very bad for PR.
Sony as a company (and gaming division on its own) are at record profits last few years. It's not like 10 years ago when they were losing money.

But the business strategy is simple. If their sales and brand are strong enough, you pump up the price knowing people will still buy. Their situation is a complete opposite of any company or division struggling with money. They are at peak financials. They are just going for more.

On the other hand when Sony was at it's weakest (PS3 era). You got deals and value everywhere. BR system for dirt cheap (PS3 was like $500 cheaper than standalone Panasonic or Samsung BR players. I remember seeing them for $1,000-1,200), free online, new PS+ option with good monthly games.

The second PS turned it up a notch and took off, that's when pricing managers at Sony jacked everything up. Even $10 next gen upgrades.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No it doesn’t

- Larger chip
- More expensive cooling solution
- No in-house components
- No in-house assembly
- Less volume, lower economies of scale

Sony is an electronics company with higher sales volume. They can absolutely produce the PS5 at a cheaper cost than XSX
Also bigger ssd and faster and hence more expensive ram.

There is no doubt XSX is more expensive to produce which is why I always felt the PS5 Physical Edition shouldve been cheaper. Sony cut costs on a smaller chip, ssd and ram, only to increase the price 2 years later anyway. Lame.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Damn, you're right. Just found this post that quotes from Electronics Gaming Magazine and adjusts for inflation. So if this is the case, $70 two gens later isn't necessarily out of the ordinary, save for the fact that other, arguably more profitable, monetization options exist now.

System (year)Game cost in USD at system launch yearAdjusted for inflation as of December 2010
NES (1986)29.99-49.9959.79-99.65
SNES (1991)49.99-59.9980.17-96.21
N64 (1996)49.9969.60
PS2 (2000)49.9963.41
Xbox 360 (2005)59.9967.10
11 years ago
Yeah those prices ain't right, here are some real prices 😂
4gr3mHj.jpg

SlimySnake

Sony as a company (and gaming division on its own) are at record profits last few years. It's not like 10 years ago when they were losing money.

But the business strategy is simple. If their sales and brand are strong enough, you pump up the price knowing people will still buy. Their situation is a complete opposite of any company or division struggling with money. They are at peak financials. They are just going for more.

On the other hand when Sony was at it's weakest (PS3 era). You got deals and value everywhere. BR system for dirt cheap (PS3 was like $500 cheaper than standalone Panasonic or Samsung BR players. I remember seeing them for $1,000-1,200), free online, new PS+ option with good monthly games.

The second PS turned it up a notch and took off, that's when pricing managers at Sony jacked everything up. Even $10 next gen upgrades.
A lot of these guys are probably too young to remember the PS2 era Sony. The PS3 reveal was pure hubris. They were declaring console wars were over. They thought shoving blurays down everyones throat for $599 was a good idea. I remember my PS3 came with like 6 different memory/sd card slots. There was one for the PS2 memory card because they literally decided to put the entire PS2 emotion engine chip in there to achieve BC. Then there were several diffrent sd card slots for cameras photos. I never used them. ever. lmao.

My brother bought his $400 PS3 a year or so later which was stripped of all of these ridiculous features. No BC chip, no memory card readers. 40 GB vs 60 GB at launch. It was insane to see how they were able to cut $200 off of a console in just a year without removing the bluray drive. The PS3 even with the cell couldve potentially launched at $299. crazy to think about.

I see the same Sony today. A company detached from its userbase. Thinking shutting down PS3 and vita stores is a good idea. Thinking charging $10 for upgrades everyone is offering for free is a good idea. Charging $70 just because they think their first party games are GOTY worthy and people will pay whatever. Same mentality as the people who thought gamers would pay $599 for a console. Misleading statements about cross gen games. Misleading statements about PC ports. Spending millions on PC ports while refusing to patch cult classics like Bloodborne, DriveClub and The Last Guardian. TLOU2 still doesnt have a PS5 sku which means i have to wait 2 minutes for each chapter to load.

I got so much shit from my fellow Sony stans for the last two years for pointing this out. I exhausted all the goodwill i had generated shitting on xbox and phil spencer for years lol. I was invited and then secretly expelled from a ps discord. All because I pointed out these anti consumer policies and that Sony no longer gave two shits about their legacy of pushing graphical fidelity and famously offering their userbase freedom to trade in games. Even at their worst during the early PS3 era, Sony had an incredible first year lineup of next gen games that screamed next gen. Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet Future Tools of Destruction and of course Uncharted. All in the first 12 months. I have no idea how any true PS fan can be satisfied with just Demon Souls, Ratchet and Returnal in the first 24 months of the PS5. Unless they only became a PS fan 3 years ago when they hit puberty.

Last edited:
Sony cut costs on a smaller chip, ssd and ram, only to increase the price 2 years later anyway. Lame.
Smart design on the IO and SSD (Lame)
Off the shelf much slower SSD (Cool)

More performance out of smaller chip, and partly slower but more versatile RAM (Lame)
Big slow chip and bastardised split memory pool(Cool)

New controller with haptics and adaptive triggers(Lame)
Last gen controller (Cool)

Sure Jan GIF

Even with increased price one gets more with PS5.

SlimySnake

Smart design on the IO and SSD (Lame)
Off the shelf much slower SSD (Cool)

More performance out of smaller chip, and partly slower but more versatile RAM (Lame)
Big slow chip and bastardised split memory pool(Cool)

New controller with haptics and adaptive triggers(Lame)
Last gen controller (Cool)

Even with increased price one gets more with PS5.
I have no idea where I said big slow chip and split memory was cool. Stop putting words in my mouth.

The PS5 design isnt lame. Whats lame is that they took shortcuts to reduce costs and ended up having to increase the price anyway.

yurinka

According to MS aunch aligned 360 had shipped (not sold) 11.6M until the end of June. So if these Ampere numbers are prettty accurate yes, as Nuttella said Series is selling faster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom