• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Patent Describes Dynamic UI That Lets You Directly Boot Into Gameplay.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The patent (discovered by Twitter use Roxanne) was filed back in 2018, but has only recently been published. It describes a dynamic user interface that allows users to boot up games directly into gameplay. This is essentially done through specific templates in games, which you can then directly load into. So, for instance, if you wanted to jump into multiplayer in a game, rather than booting it up, then selecting multiplayer from the main menu, and then looking for a match, you could simply boot up a template that lets you jump straight into a matchmaking lobby.

Nymphae

Banned
That will be awesome, I always feel like I'm cheating something when I boot my PS4 from sleep mode and I'm immediately in game lol.

lynux3

Like that "jump from the stream into the same deathmatch" feature they demoed for the PS4, which never actually happened?
I don't recall this feature? Maybe you're thinking of Share Play which did happen. Maybe you're referring to Stadia where you can queue up and join a streaming session?

FranXico

I don't recall this feature? Maybe you're thinking of Share Play which did happen. Maybe you're referring to Stadia where you can queue up and join a streaming session?
I'm referring to a demo they did prior to launch, where Shu was watching a stream of a KZ match, then clicks on the "Join Now" button, and just spawns there ready to play.
The "Join" or "Play" button does exist, but it just boots the game for you.

lynux3

I'm referring to a demo they did prior to launch, where Shu was watching a stream of a KZ match, then clicks on the "Join Now" button, and just spawns there ready to play.
The "Join" or "Play" button does exist, but it just boots the game for you.
Ah yes, I do remember that. Probably a feature that was there and never utilized. Most people just accept invitations and call it a day.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If it's as seemless as it seems, we need this in games.

SSD will amp up loading times which is fine, but it's those mandatory splash screens staring at Unreal Engine and Licensed by the NHL screens that take forever. What's the point in a 2 second loading time to get to a game if you got to sit through 15 seconds of unskippable screens?

If this patent can skip all those intro screens, green light this into gaming asap.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
The faster we get into games the better. If you can instantly jump up into the mode you want to play and it's that seemless then this could be very big.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
Sluggish UI is one of my gripes with PS4/Xbox One consoles. If it impacts my gaming time by this much with less waiting to jump into the action, the better. I will just miss my bathroom and kitchen outings with all of this "gotta go fast" gen.

This sounds really cool. Unfortunately, it sounds like one of those features that won't be implemented or one that only a few devs (primarily first party) devs will actually use.

Top Bottom