• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owners: Have you used Cards or Hints yet?

Have you ever used the Cards or Hints feature?

• Total voters

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The trophy thing is neat but the cards get you back in the game very quick from a cold boot on the PS5. It skips all the splash screens that happen when you normally load a game, the main menu, etc. All that shit is skipped and it puts you right in the game.

Does it just load your save directly or what? I don't quite get it.

Kupfer

No, I saw it in a preview but I'm not interested. Just like I'm not interested in all those other "options" and 3 different kinds of menus. I want an unbloated UI, just like the XMB from the PS3.
I have a PS5 since releaseday and still don't know which button and for how long I have to press it to get to my friendslist, trophies or rest mode for example. It's way too complicated.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

I think they’re great. It’s a real pity that most games are not using them very well, but it’s a real pleasure when they do.

Reactions: Isa

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I've had the PS5 since December and I had to stop and think of what hints and card even are. I guess it's that part of the UI which I ignore since it just reminded me of achievements, which I always hate with a passion.

TrebleShot

This is the most slept on feature of PS5 and it’s amazing.
I’ve used it for games like MM, Astros, Dirt, FIFA, Demons souls for tips and quick launch.

TrebleShot

Cards are great...when they work. Never tried hints. Where are they? PS5 UI is such a mess.
Hints are where cards are if you see the little plus symbol press X and it will have tips within the card and most of the time you can jump straight to that point with square.

musically opens a text field with a tip and a video. Very cool and eliminates the need for YouTube guides and online ones if you like that sort of thing.

I probably would t have platinumed some games without it. Saves time so worth checking out.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I have a PS5 since releaseday and still don't know which button and for how long I have to press it to get to my friendslist, trophies or rest mode for example. It's way too complicated.
It may not be the most intuitive UI, but it's not that complicated. Long press for home screen, short press for the quick access pop up menu.

dDoc

To anyone saying haptics/vibrations are useless, I personally missed the feature immensely when the original PS3 pads didnt support it.

• Love

Zero7

The tiles are awesome being able to get right to where you want to be in a game, without having to sit through a ton of menus and load times is awesome. Can't believe not many people use them.

The hint system I also use, but only if I really have to. Currently playing Hitman 3 where I'm using them a lot as I suck at stealth. lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
These seemed cool, but honestly I think the PS5's UI is so unintuitive that even though I went looking for them at one point I never found out how to enable them or look at them.

LordOfChaos

I use the hints every now and again. Took me a bit to remember it was there instead of googling, but it's handy when games have it.

I don't use the cards to launch into activities, still just have the muscle memory of launching into a game first.

Elog

Used them once in R&C and realised how brilliant they are - needed to find a screw and could just choose a hint card to get enough information to avoid frustration. Perfect.

SkylineRKR

Only in Astrobot. Its a cool feature, kinda cumbersome to access, and not every game is going to have them. This will fade into obscurity or it already has.

• Thoughtful

Blond

Banned
I do for Guilty Gear, jumping right into the lodge is AWESOME! Sure, it’s not quick resume but I’ll live.

Bartski

Gold Member
Activity cards were only useful as the only possible way to get biome progress info in Returnal, as for the hints I don't even know where they are.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The hints feature needs to be integrated into the trophy feature. I never use cards or hints and go straight to trophies because thats why I am missing.

Aenima

Yes, used the hint system in Astro Playroom and Maquette to find stuff i missed the 1st time. Also used the cards to quick swap levels also in Astro Playroom.

Most of the game i been playing dont use the cards other than show the trophy list. I love the system but not many games have used the full fuctionalities of the system yet.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
On Sackboy and Astro I did. I wanted everything in those games. It's good for that kind of thing. I tend to forget about the feature though tbh.

Markio128

I use them fairly regularly and find them useful in the main. They are good for clearing sided missions or collecting trophies and I like how they give an indication of how long a particular mission will take. I can understand people not being interested in them, but they are there to be used, so why not?

yes i use the cards often. just press one button and it gets me where i want to be in the game. the speed of everything and the dualsense gives me that true next gen feeling.

No, it drives me nuts that hitting the PS button goes to the cards and not to the menu bar for downloads, chat or power options. I really wish I could just turn them off; totally useless.

I’m using them for the first time with a plague tale, for collectables, being able to just pull up a quick menu and view a short video of where a collectable is per chapter is amazing. They are out of order though so that’s kind of annoying but still a great feature.

MaKTaiL

I’m using them for the first time with a plague tale, for collectables, being able to just pull up a quick menu and view a short video of where a collectable is per chapter is amazing. They are out of order though so that’s kind of annoying but still a great feature.
I think it's a bug. The current chapter card should come first usually. You have to enter the chapter, go back to the menu and load again and it should fix.

Last edited:
Top Bottom