• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owner: I just bought a Xbox Series X - I'm very impressed

sircaw

Banned
Sorry, it's hard not to get triggered by someone who uses an alt account because they were banned for console warring & now hides their profile in fear because they were SS'ed so many times by other people. How dare me.

Yes, you must be lucky šŸ˜
I don't have any alt accounts, i don't hide my profile,

COME AT ME BRO, I fucking DARE YOU. "lollipop_disappointed:
White Flag Couple GIF by Hollyoaks

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've owned both MS and Sony consoles since the original Xbox. My issues with the XB1 and XSX are the same. I hate the OS and hate your inability to manage/move/copy save files and DLC individually. You just have such little control. Wasn't an issue with the Xbox and 360, but since the XB1 it's been an issue.

Performance-wise I've always liked Xbox consoles.

PaintTinJr

For those complaining about the PS5 pad battery life and integrated (lithium-ion) battery, instead of the AA "best of both worlds" mantra, or not caring about the kids.

Do you just think Sony are incompetent/wrong in their design choices? Or is it that you care very little - compared to them - about the ecological impact of their eco-friendly considerations - when designing products - that will have a large carbon footprint when successfully selling +100m consoles?

When you consider the ease with which any AA batteries can end up in landfil - because of their small size - or the way in which another delivery or car journey - out to buy AA batteries - adds to the carbon footprint, as does the additional plastic packaging of the replacement batteries.

Even comparing the materials used for AA's that package the inner battery chemicals compared to lith-ion shows far more wastage by area - and less opportunitey to improve on those materials' negative carbon footprint.

Then you've got the comparison of energy efficiency (per volume) - between a custom li-ion battery designed optimised for its use case - and a generic old standard shape AA battery with chemical and voltage/amperage constraints for decades of compatibility; irrespective of what the use case needs - so more heat generated and more energy wasted, even if they do last longer.

As for battery size, Sony could easily do a pad with more weight with a bigger battery. But again that adds to the carbon footprint, for shipping the console, and separate pads, so is magnified across the +100m sales they plan for.

Probably being just below the apex - of battery-life to user charging-innconvience for 49% of their users - IMHO is the best ecological option balanced against PS5 QoL.

Every gamer I've known buys two controllers for every console, because most gamers have shared their gaming at sometime or another, and know they'll need a second pad for when a sister/brother/friend, etc come to play. That spare redundant pad also doubles up as the QoL benefit for single player gaming when you can just switch to the pad that's sat on charge while you game. On balance even that has a lower carbon footprint, because spare pads and more AA batteries will be needed on Xbox too for player 2, even if sat in a drawer doing nothing most of the year round.

Nintendo equally balance their footprint. They copy Xbox with the 40hr pad option, and copy PlayStation with the integrated solution, but they opt out of the redundant waste by only doing the 40hr pad battery in the Pro controller - meaning the number sold is a fraction of the console install base they intend, and it also doubles up as the player 2 pad option.

In case anyone is thinking I've some eco-warrior, that's certainly far from it, it is just that we've all been forced to recycle at a personal level for atleast 15years(in the UK) and I have been condition to wondering why I'm wasting 2hrs a week on a bin problem and companies aren't doing their part.

TLDR

AA batteries are worse for the world we live in, so there's no "best of a single world", never mind two world :)

FrankWza

TLDR

AA batteries are worse for the world we live in, so there's no "best of a single world", never mind two world :)
There are plenty of 3rd party Dualsense rechargeable battery packs. That type of limitation can be easily remedied. Meanwhile, proprietary USB and wireless audio and hard drives are closed and have little to no alternative choices.

rofif

Canā€™t Git Gud
For those complaining about the PS5 pad battery life and integrated (lithium-ion) battery, instead of the AA "best of both worlds" mantra, or not caring about the kids.

Do you just think Sony are incompetent/wrong in their design choices? Or is it that you care very little - compared to them - about the ecological impact of their eco-friendly considerations - when designing products - that will have a large carbon footprint when successfully selling +100m consoles?

When you consider the ease with which any AA batteries can end up in landfil - because of their small size - or the way in which another delivery or car journey - out to buy AA batteries - adds to the carbon footprint, as does the additional plastic packaging of the replacement batteries.

Even comparing the materials used for AA's that package the inner battery chemicals compared to lith-ion shows far more wastage by area - and less opportunitey to improve on those materials' negative carbon footprint.

Then you've got the comparison of energy efficiency (per volume) - between a custom li-ion battery designed optimised for its use case - and a generic old standard shape AA battery with chemical and voltage/amperage constraints for decades of compatibility; irrespective of what the use case needs - so more heat generated and more energy wasted, even if they do last longer.

As for battery size, Sony could easily do a pad with more weight with a bigger battery. But again that adds to the carbon footprint, for shipping the console, and separate pads, so is magnified across the +100m sales they plan for.

Probably being just below the apex - of battery-life to user charging-innconvience for 49% of their users - IMHO is the best ecological option balanced against PS5 QoL.

Every gamer I've known buys two controllers for every console, because most gamers have shared their gaming at sometime or another, and know they'll need a second pad for when a sister/brother/friend, etc come to play. That spare redundant pad also doubles up as the QoL benefit for single player gaming when you can just switch to the pad that's sat on charge while you game. On balance even that has a lower carbon footprint, because spare pads and more AA batteries will be needed on Xbox too for player 2, even if sat in a drawer doing nothing most of the year round.

Nintendo equally balance their footprint. They copy Xbox with the 40hr pad option, and copy PlayStation with the integrated solution, but they opt out of the redundant waste by only doing the 40hr pad battery in the Pro controller - meaning the number sold is a fraction of the console install base they intend, and it also doubles up as the player 2 pad option.

In case anyone is thinking I've some eco-warrior, that's certainly far from it, it is just that we've all been forced to recycle at a personal level for atleast 15years(in the UK) and I have been condition to wondering why I'm wasting 2hrs a week on a bin problem and companies aren't doing their part.

TLDR

First of all - Sony don't give a shit about environmental impact. Are you kidding me?!
2nd - Most if not all dualsense controllers WILL DIE and will have a good reason to land FULLY in the landfill. Not only batteries. The full thing.
So You choose between throwing whole controllers into the trash vs throwing batteries in the DRAINED BATTERY DISPOSAL BIN....
... or you just use rechargables.

Optimized weight and size ?! Dulsense weights 280g and xbox series with 2 AA batteries is 287 grams. Wow. You saved 7g of weight and the controller lasts 25% of what the 7g heavier controller does...

I don't buy two controllers for my one console. I play single player games. buying two controllers and then throwing these two controllers in the landfill (sooner or later in 30 years) is a waste too. And I will still keep my xbox controllers presumably.

I am not saying that AA batteries are somehow ecological... of course not at all. But their recycling is somewhat easier when you have a dedicated bin and don't have to dismantle the controller to do it. All these devices, speakers and thousand other devices with built in batteries cost a ton more money to recycle and take out lithium batteries out of there... and for that reason this crap just sits in the landfills. All these dead disposed devices with dead built-in battery. or the battery that expanded (like most lithium does)

And let's not forget that in order to charge the built in battery... you still need to charge it...
I do have to agree on math here a bit although it is not clear to me which is worse.
In 1000 hours You might use 1 controller with built-in battery and charge it 100 full recharges (10 hours cycle)
Or use 33 pairs of AA batteries, so 66 batteries. (30 hours cycle)
Sounds like batteries are more of a waste but I am still not so sure according to all of the above. Is using less batteries material, worth it to buy and throw away more controllers? maybe ? maybe not ?

93xfan

Banned
I bought both the Series X and PS5 at launch and have no bias towards either company other than my own personal feelings. For me the Series X is my go to machine for everything other than PS exclusives without question. Thatā€™s not to say I donā€™t love the PS5, I do. And while playing games like Miles Morales and Rift Apart I am reminded why PS is so successful. However if I could only keep one console it would be the Series X, I wouldnā€™t even need to think about it.

All that said, if you can afford to be a multi platform gamer it really is the way to go. I have owned every console since the Sega Megadrive, even the obscure ones like the Jaguar and 3DO. Every console had that special something of its own.
Very solid post.

I noticed only one poster named Rivet chose to laugh at it. Itā€™s sad that we have people like that in our community. Maybe the laughter emote is a bad idea. Gives pathetic people the feeling theyā€™re fighting the good fight, even when itā€™s a generally neutral post like yours

xiskza

Very solid post.

I noticed only one poster named Rivet chose to laugh at it. Itā€™s sad that we have people like that in our community. Maybe the laughter emote is a bad idea. Gives pathetic people the feeling theyā€™re fighting the good fight, even when itā€™s a generally neutral post like yours

Yes let's censor people's reactions, that's the way forward...

There are plenty of 3rd party Dualsense rechargeable battery packs. That type of limitation can be easily remedied. Meanwhile, proprietary USB and wireless audio and hard drives are closed and have little to no alternative choices.
Are there any actual 3rd party PS5 controllers though? Tempest audio seems to be more proprietary than Dolby which is a standard across lots of devices. We won't go over again about the lack of options for PS5 digital game purchases. Your outrage at the lack of choice seems to be one sided. šŸ˜ OH! I also caught you were upset about the lack of USB wireless headset audio on Xbox so check this out:

Now you have an additional OPTION on your Xbox Frank!

With regard to batteries it seems to me that a dual sense that no longer charges takes up more space in a landfill than a discarded AA battery so no one can claim to be doing what is best for the planet.

tygertrip

TLDR

1Q74FW6.jpg

FrankWza

Are there any actual 3rd party PS5 controllers though? Tempest audio seems to be more proprietary than Dolby which is a standard across lots of devices. We won't go over again about the lack of options for PS5 digital game purchases. Your outrage at the lack of choice seems to be one sided. šŸ˜ OH! I also caught you were upset about the lack of USB wireless headset audio on Xbox so check this out:

Now you have an additional OPTION on your Xbox Frank!

With regard to batteries it seems to me that a dual sense that no longer charges takes up more space in a landfill than a discarded AA battery so no one can claim to be doing what is best for the planet.

Houdini attempt number 1,299,720
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

tygertrip

Very solid post.

šŸ™„

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I did also buy a Series X and so far i'm having a blast with it :)
I'm very happy that i have both PS5 and Xbox Series X

That's the plan in the long run, SX was just a far more appealing console during the launch window, and still now.

But a PS5 purchase is in order maybe end of 2022.

tygertrip

Some of the takes Iā€™m reading are interesting lol

AA batteries are ā€œcheapā€ and using a dedicated stand is ā€œluxurious and beautifulā€ lol.

Having the option for removable batteries + rechargeable removeables + rechargeable internal is worse than only rechargeable internal? Whatā€¦

Haptics are indeed best on ps5 but anyone honestly thinking having more options for how a device is powered is a negative is wyld.
The takes you are referring to are excellent examples of 100% pure copium!

FrankWza

It just shows the lack of sincerity in your posts Frank. Sorry if you don't like the exposure. I see what you are doing.
You have no idea what youā€™re talking about and what I said. Like not even a little bit.

Are there any actual 3rd party PS5 controllers though?
Who cares and what does that have to do with anything? Why would I want that?
Tempest audio seems to be more proprietary than Dolby which is a standard across lots of devices.
so if I want to use Dolby I turn off tempest and I use Dolby. I can switch back and forth when I want or use my amps vss if I want or use Dolby on my receiver.

We won't go over again about the lack of options for PS5 digital game purchases.
I can buy a PSN card at any retailer, online or in store and then purchase games on PSN. Why do I need to buy a digital version from Best Buy when I can just get a card if I need to and load it up on my PS account? Whatā€™s the difference?
OH! I also caught you were upset about the lack of USB wireless headset audio on Xbox so check this out:
And? Itā€™s still proprietary. If the USB dongle doesnā€™t have the xbox license that headset wouldnā€™t work. Thatā€™s the point. If theyā€™re uncomfortable or if they suck then they suck. You can use non licensed headphones and headsets on Xbox but only plugged into your controller. Unless you want to lose HDMI 2.1
so no one can claim to be doing what is best for the planet.
Easy for you to say since youā€™ll be returning to yours any day now. You can tell your alien ruler youā€™ve found superior a life form and his names frank. :messenger_spock::messenger_alien::messenger_bicep::messenger_fistbump::messenger_beermugs:

You have no idea what youā€™re talking about and what I said. Like not even a little bit.
Sure Frank sure. I'm just so happy you are so concerned about Xbox owners 'options'.
Who cares and what does that have to do with anything? Why would I want that?
You are Mr. Options remember. If Xbox not having enough storage and USB audio options is keeping you up at night I'd figure you'd be just as 'concerned' about the lack of PS5 options with regard to controllers or digital game purchases. Plenty of concern to go around.
so if I want to use Dolby I turn off tempest and I use Dolby. I can switch back and forth when I want or use my amps vss if I want or use Dolby on my receiver.

I wasn't aware PlayStation supported Dolby audio options on headphones at least. If so good for gamers to have the options we all love right?
I can buy a PSN card at any retailer, online or in store and then purchase games on PSN. Why do I need to buy a digital version from Best Buy when I can just get a card if I need to and load it up on my PS account? Whatā€™s the difference?
You can buy as many PlayStation gift cards as you want it doesn't change that there is exactly ONE place to spend those cards right? Are you familiar with monopolies Frank? MS was accused of being one once upon a time so I'm certain you'd be opposed to them here as well. It sucks that you have to pay the Sony price and ONLY the Sony price.
And? Itā€™s still proprietary. If the USB dongle doesnā€™t have the xbox license that headset wouldnā€™t work. Thatā€™s the point. If theyā€™re uncomfortable or if they suck then they suck. You can use non licensed headphones and headsets on Xbox but only plugged into your controller. Unless you want to lose HDMI 2.1
And nothing. You accused them of not having options and here is an additional option that doesn't require you to plug into the controller you overlooked. Since it was such a important issue for you I figured this would alleviate some of your 'concerns'.
Easy for you to say since youā€™ll be returning to yours any day now. You can tell your alien ruler youā€™ve found superior a life form and his names frank. :messenger_spock::messenger_alien::messenger_bicep::messenger_fistbump::messenger_beermugs:
Well I certainly found a typical Sony fan who obviously loves the company but is far from being unbiased or even fair in some of the complaints about other systems. Regardless I too like and own the PlayStation so we have that in common even if I can see more of the flaws with that platform than you can. šŸ˜

kingfey

Banned

You can buy cheap digital games for xbox and nintendo from online, which you cant do for playstation (only certain games, before the online store key ban games).

Its good thing for digital users, since they can buy games for cheap, without looking for disc games.

This is forza horizon 5 game key

This is MS/disc price

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

First of all - Sony don't give a shit about environmental impact. Are you kidding me?!
Is that sarcasm - I really can't tell on the internet - pretty sure they even give info about PS5 carbon footprint packaging inside the box. If you really don't think they are one of - if not the one - leading electronics makers in the world pushing eco-friendly stuff, then I'd say just google it. I'm pretty sure your first page hits will include their push for carbon neutral packaging by using fast grow materials like bamboo (under two years) - that they use to make specialist card at the actual area they make their devices so they don't have a shipping carbon footprint for the packaging to the factories.

2nd - Most if not all dualsense controllers WILL DIE and will have a good reason to land FULLY in the landfill. Not only batteries. The full thing.
So You choose between throwing whole controllers into the trash vs throwing batteries in the DRAINED BATTERY DISPOSAL BIN....
... or you just use rechargables.
Nonsense! In most major territories in the world that consoles get launched in, what goes into household waste doesn't automatically find its way into landfill - because AFAIK it get put on conveyor-belts and split up and assessed/sorted/filter by people wearing Hazmat suits and small electrical items get redirected to the same "small electrical recycling" to be processed with those filtered waste at commercial tips.

I'm not sure if those items get broken down and recycled locally or sent to countries with cheap labour - like some poor economy in Africa, for example - but those items don't just get landfilled in the developed world, like they are disposing of Atari ET games in the 80's.

The AA batteries however are small when dumped in household waste bags, so lots will hit landfill because they would need man power inversely proportional to their size to recover them all from the other conveyor belt rubbish - needle in a haystack problem, so lots pass through the net.
Optimized weight and size ?! Dulsense weights 280g and xbox series with 2 AA batteries is 287 grams. Wow. You saved 7g of weight and the controller lasts 25% of what the 7g heavier controller does...
7grams is the weight difference when you add on the packaging for those other batteries, but even if it was, it is 7grams multiplied by at least 50m more consoles sold in reality, so the carbon footprint of moving that extra weight across the world is significant. And even then the comparison is even more favourable because of all the extra weighty technology components that are in the dualsense that are missing from the xbox pad, and it still came in at less weight.
I don't buy two controllers for my one console. I play single player games. buying two controllers and then throwing these two controllers in the landfill (sooner or later in 30 years) is a waste too. And I will still keep my xbox controllers presumably.
They are more likely to get recycled when sold on by companies like GAME than someone else's AA rechargeables in all likelihood, no? And I've already explained why li-ion are less likely to end up in landfill.
I am not saying that AA batteries are somehow ecological... of course not at all. But their recycling is somewhat easier when you have a dedicated bin and don't have to dismantle the controller to do it. All these devices, speakers and thousand other devices with built in batteries cost a ton more money to recycle and take out lithium batteries out of there... and for that reason this crap just sits in the landfills. All these dead disposed devices with dead built-in battery. or the battery that expanded (like most lithium does)
The wastage that goes in landfill is a lot less from integrated li-ion products. If AA were the better answer, then as a massive battery manufacturer - that make their own AA's also - why wouldn't Sony just use their own AA?
And let's not forget that in order to charge the built in battery... you still need to charge it...
I do have to agree on math here a bit although it is not clear to me which is worse.
In 1000 hours You might use 1 controller with built-in battery and charge it 100 full recharges (10 hours cycle)
Or use 33 pairs of AA batteries, so 66 batteries. (30 hours cycle)
Sounds like batteries are more of a waste but I am still not so sure according to all of the above. Is using less batteries material, worth it to buy and throw away more controllers? maybe ? maybe not ?
See, now you are thinking about the problem and the more you do, the more you will realise that AA's have no place in the console market beyond retro pads like wiimotes and wavebrids.

tygertrip

Is that sarcasm - I really can't tell on the internet - pretty sure they even give info about PS5 carbon footprint packaging inside the box. If you really don't think they are one of - if not the one - leading electronics makers in the world pushing eco-friendly stuff, then I'd say just google it. I'm pretty sure your first page hits will include their push for carbon neutral packaging by using fast grow materials like bamboo (under two years) - that they use to make specialist card at the actual area they make their devices so they don't have a shipping carbon footprint for the packaging to the factories.

Nonsense! In most major territories in the world that consoles get launched in, what goes into household waste doesn't automatically find its way into landfill - because AFAIK it get put on conveyor-belts and split up and assessed/sorted/filter by people wearing Hazmat suits and small electrical items get redirected to the same "small electrical recycling" to be processed with those filtered waste at commercial tips.

I'm not sure if those items get broken down and recycled locally or sent to countries with cheap labour - like some poor economy in Africa, for example - but those items don't just get landfilled in the developed world, like they are disposing of Atari ET games in the 80's.

The AA batteries however are small when dumped in household waste bags, so lots will hit landfill because they would need man power inversely proportional to their size to recover them all from the other conveyor belt rubbish - needle in a haystack problem, so lots pass through the net.

7grams is the weight difference when you add on the packaging for those other batteries, but even if it was, it is 7grams multiplied by at least 50m more consoles sold in reality, so the carbon footprint of moving that extra weight across the world is significant. And even then the comparison is even more favourable because of all the extra weighty technology components that are in the dualsense that are missing from the xbox pad, and it still came in at less weight.

They are more likely to get recycled when sold on by companies like GAME than someone else's AA rechargeables in all likelihood, no? And I've already explained why li-ion are less likely to end up in landfill.

The wastage that goes in landfill is a lot less from integrated li-ion products. If AA were the better answer, then as a massive battery manufacturer - that make their own AA's also - why wouldn't Sony just use their own AA?

See, now you are thinking about the problem and the more you do, the more you will realise that AA's have no place in the console market beyond retro pads like wiimotes and wavebrids.
Iā€™m going AA just to spite the virtue signalers!

rofif

Canā€™t Git Gud

You are clearly very passionate about this. I personally think carbon footprint is a scam invented by oil companies to put the blame on normal people instead of them.
in reality we all have very little effect on the environment compared to like one huge ship or bp. Still our choices do matter but I live in a small apartment, donā€™t own much and my waste is nothing.
anyway - I value your real answer instead of simple ā€œhaha you idiotā€. That is a full reply for which I donā€™t have much to comment except - I still think itā€™s not so easy to disassemble and segregate electronics on landfill but I donā€™t really know.

back to the topic. I really like dualsense. I think itā€™s my fav controller and usb c makes it super easy to charge. I would just wish for bigger battery and at least easier access to the battery or something because the fact is that it will still die and then I stop not be able to find new battery.

mili2110

Wow we are 8 pages deep and the discussion about AA batteries vs. integrated batteries wont die! Amazing. I think we wouldnt even have the discussion if the play& charge bundle was included with the XSX, because that would make it the best of both worlds. It would be like the dualsense, meaning, if its empty, you just plug in your usb-c cable and charge the controller. If the lithium battery is dead you could swap it out very easily with a brand new one or just use rechargable AA batteries.

Arioco

What controller only gives you four hours of battery life? Cuz that is not the DualSense.

"In testing, we found that the DualSense lasted a total of 13 hours and 11 minutes. "

I tested it. I got 13 hours and 9 minutes playing Ghost of Tsushima until my Dualsense died. But the PS5 told me the battery was low at around 9 hours of gameplay, when there were around 4 more hours left.

I wish the battery lasted longer anyway. 20 hours for the Dualsense and the Pulse 3D would be so nice.

oldergamer

Wow we are 8 pages deep and the discussion about AA batteries vs. integrated batteries wont die! Amazing. I think we wouldnt even have the discussion if the play& charge bundle was included with the XSX, because that would make it the best of both worlds. It would be like the dualsense, meaning, if its empty, you just plug in your usb-c cable and charge the controller. If the lithium battery is dead you could swap it out very easily with a brand new one or just use rechargable AA batteries.
Xsx doesnt need play and charge. Who on this earth doesnt have rechargeable AA batteries already? Imo its already the best of both worlds as you have the option to make it rechargeable if u want that. If you dont want that you can still use AA. If you dont want that you can plug in via usb.

Many options are better then limited options.

I hope they do make a new controller with similar features to sony but take up to 4 batteries or two charge packs to make it last longer when using all features at once. Short battery life is unacceptable to me.

SenkiDala

22 years going through all gaming forums and you're still here comparing who has the biggest dick...

For sure both systems have flaws : Xbox have a messy OS (I like it but I hear most people being lost in it), still a lack of AAA exclusives for now outside of the usual Halo/Forza/Gears games but it'll be better with the new studios. PS have flaws too : no quick resume, no back compatibility outside of PS4 games. But they also have a lot of awesome things to offer. Both have great games and awesome controllers (best PS controller ever is the DS and best Xbox controller is the XS one).

I saw someone earlier who has, like I do, both consoles since launch, advices to get a XSX if you can pick up only one console. I don't think it's good, just pick the console where your friends play if you wanna play online and where the exclusives you want are, that's all. Oh if you wanna just pay a rental service you might pick an XSX yeah (before the PS Gamepass arrives).

I don't get why people fight about games, I never got it. And it's not because I bought both system, when I was a kid I had to pick and I always picked Nintendo until the PS1 and I watched my friends who played on the Megadrive with envy, some games looked very cool, I didn't bitch on their console... That's weird. Gaming is gaming...

Personally I currently play on both equally, I'd pick the PS for my main console (I love the dual sense so much and the adaptative triggers/ haptic feedback is so good in games) but I also love the XSX (played like 100 hours of FH5 and Halo Infinite is awesome).

rofif

Canā€™t Git Gud
22 years going through all gaming forums and you're still here comparing who has the biggest dick...

For sure both systems have flaws : Xbox have a messy OS (I like it but I hear most people being lost in it), still a lack of AAA exclusives for now outside of the usual Halo/Forza/Gears games but it'll be better with the new studios. PS have flaws too : no quick resume, no back compatibility outside of PS4 games. But they also have a lot of awesome things to offer. Both have great games and awesome controllers (best PS controller ever is the DS and best Xbox controller is the XS one).

I saw someone earlier who has, like I do, both consoles since launch, advices to get a XSX if you can pick up only one console. I don't think it's good, just pick the console where your friends play if you wanna play online and where the exclusives you want are, that's all. Oh if you wanna just pay a rental service you might pick an XSX yeah (before the PS Gamepass arrives).

I don't get why people fight about games, I never got it. And it's not because I bought both system, when I was a kid I had to pick and I always picked Nintendo until the PS1 and I watched my friends who played on the Megadrive with envy, some games looked very cool, I didn't bitch on their console... That's weird. Gaming is gaming...

Personally I currently play on both equally, I'd pick the PS for my main console (I love the dual sense so much and the adaptative triggers/ haptic feedback is so good in games) but I also love the XSX (played like 100 hours of FH5 and Halo Infinite is awesome).
22 years or a thousand years, preference is still a normal thing.

SenkiDala

22 years or a thousand years, preference is still a normal thing.
But it's not a reason to say to people "what you like is bad", me too I have preferences, I hate VR, 4X games, I don't like the PS VITA, it's not a reason to go on those threads and say "hey people you who enjoy those things : you're wrong", that's dumb. I think we should focus and spend our energy to things we like...

rofif

Canā€™t Git Gud
But it's not a reason to say to people "what you like is bad", me too I have preferences, I hate VR, 4X games, I don't like the PS VITA, it's not a reason to go on those threads and say "hey people you who enjoy those things : you're wrong", that's dumb. I think we should focus and spend our energy to things we like...
I mean... if someone likes to eat shit and I don't ?
I have all the reasons to say that what he likes IS bad :p

welshrat

Just saw this post and wanted to add I have done the same, mainly for gamepass ultimate. I have a PS5 and a nice gaming PC with a RX6800 and figured it would be nice sometimes to play the game pass stuff in the living room. Got a nice work bonus so bought a Sony 65X95J and a Series X. Not played much on it yet but seems a very decent bit of kit. I am unlikely to buy much for it as I like the Sony ecosystem but its a really nice addition.

proprietary hard drive is a particular annoyance though, hopefully by the time I need more space they will have dropped in price a fair bit especially as I bought a 1tb WD gen 4 for the PS5 for approx half the price MS want for the same space but as its not going to be my main machine I won't lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
I wanted to build my "own Xbox" at first , but I cant get a hold of a graphics card (for retail). I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 5800X, 32GB DDR4, ITX Mainboard, 750W ITX corsair PSU, ssupd meshlicius case etc. a couple months ago in hope I could buy a GPU in the near future, but I gave up. My PC has a cheap geforce 405 in it right now, just to work, so I cant game on it. Instead I found a used XSX + Turtle Beach 700 Gen 2 Headset for 550ā‚¬ and went for it. I had the OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and now the Xbox Series X. Havent had a Xbox in almost 10+ years and I never thought I would buy one again, since all Xbox Studio Games come to PC too, but fuck it. I actually bought the 20 yr anniversary xbox controller for my PC before I got the XSX, just because it looked so cool and reminded me of the OG Xbox Controller (the plastics and rubber back feel way better than the controller that comes with the XSX btw).

So here are my impressions as a "longtime" Playstation owner and PC player:

- The hardware is MUCH better than PS5. Smaller footprint, looks sleek, more powerful (at least on paper), bigger SSD (approx. 800GB usable vs. 667GB or so), SILENT under load, much quiter than my PS5 (mine has pretty loud coilwhine, e.g. COD Vanguard with 120Hz)
- Startup from standby is almost INSTANT!!! (2-3seconds vs 20 seconds PS5 rest mode - Can someone confirm this too!?)
- the UI feels much more joyful to use and is pretty customizable (custom wallpapers, accent colors, pinning apps and games , dark mode, night mode, etc.)
- 120Hz +4k output on all games (my LG C1 says so at least, which should reduce latency and input lag even on 30fps games!?)
- Dolby vision in all HDR10 games (I think!?)
- Quick Resume (I dont think PS5 will ever get this feature, maybe PS6)
- better BC and FPS boost on many old titles
- Dev Mode for emulation (didnt try that one for now)
- Many more features (VRR, 1440p support, freesync support, controller button mapping, linking player profiles to controllers e.t.c.)

I also must mention some things I DONT LIKE:
- The controller feels "dead" and oldschool. No speakers/mic, not rechargable. The vibration is almost never used (in games I played at least) and I miss the adaptive triggers (Returnal used them heavily)
- MS Games dont look and feel "next gen" (except flight sim maybe) compared to PS Studio Games like Demons souls, Spiderman MM, Ratchet & Clank, Returnal etc.
- MS Games are very big (mostly around 100GB for Flight Sim, Halo Infinite, Forza, Gears etc.)
- Cant upgrade SSD with regular m2 SSDs (bought a 2TB Samsung 980 Pro for my PS5 on black friday for 250ā‚¬)

I will probably use the XSX as a game pass machine and will still buy 3rd party games + 1st party titles for PS5 since I prefer the controller and I only know one other person with an Xbox LOL.

Am I missing something? Please correct me If I told BS.

PS. Oh and did I mention Game pass? I bought 3yrs for 80ā‚¬ or so (thx to mydealz.de), which is like the price of one PS5 game over here.

I have managed to pick up an Xbox Series X last week as part of a bundle from GAME here in the UK albeit with a second Elite 2 controller which I didn't really need to honest as I already have one which I use for my PC (it's an awesome controller by the way, though extremely expensive). Still, I'd been after an Xbox Series X for the last six months ever since I realised that building a new PC in 2020 then 2021 was going to be extremely expensive, what with scummy scalpers and the chip shortages. My current i7-4770K PC was buiilt in June 2013 and has a four year-old GTX 1080 Ti graphics card. It's still a decent system for 99.9% of games at 1440p and mostly maxed out settings but it is showing its age when it comes to minimum framerates (G-SYNC definitely helps here). Over the last few years I've gone from gaming at over 100 fps to 60 fps and sometimes, as in the case of UbiSoft titles, 30 fps or 40 fps (again, G-SYNC makes the latter possible).

I was lucky enough to be able to pre-order a PS5 from Amazon for launch last year and at the time decided that I would not bother with the Xbox Series X as I already had an Xbox One X which, despite being a gorgeously designed and quality piece of kit, was being used less and less. The problem with the Xbox One X is that while it can do up to 4K games the CPU is so lacklustre that they are stuck at 30 fps framerates which after a year with the PS5 is hard to go back to. There's no getting around it, the PlayStation has a superior selection of exclusive games that suited me as a solo gamers so over the last generation (PS4 and PS4 Pro) I gradually switched from the Xbox being my primary console to the PlayStation. The PS5 was, therefore, the easy logical choice for my next-gen console to supplement an upgraded Ryzen PC with an RTX graphics card.. That never happened so the idea of buying an Xbox Series X instead for the games I would otherwise play on my PC became more appealing. Basically, the console is a bargain at Ā£449 for the power on offer. Game Pass also looks like a good deal even if the selection is limited and doesn't include, say, games from UbiSoft or Activision for example.

Anyway, I've been playing on it for most of the weekend and here are my observations so far, mostly just comments off the top of my head and in no particular order:

- The console design itself is a bit boxy and boring to look at compared with the PS5, like it doesn't want to be noticed or seen, but definitely looks bizarre when orientated horizontally. It amazes me how compact it is when stood next to the PS5 which is just bloody ginormous in comparison. The Xbox SX is a bit of a fingerprint magnet though, which is about the only thing I don't like about it so I have to use a cloth when ejecting discs to avoid smudging it (yeah, pedantic much!). I still think that the design of the Xbox One X is a bit more premium and special though; being very solidly constructed and weighty, and wished that Microsoft had been able to carry that design over to the Xbox Series X. Between the PS5 and Xbox Series X, I think I prefer the look for the former a bit more but only because it looks more futuristic and sleek and so obviously a console, though absolutely on the massive side!

- The user interface of the Xbox Series X is a bit lacklustre in my opinion. On turning the console on, I was greeted with the exact same one that I had on my Xbox One X which at times felt a bit of a cluttered mess with the Store and Blu-ray player loading as apps rather than being part of the operating system so accessing stuff is always followed by a noticeable delay even on the new console (I have 1 Gbit fibre by the way). This is better on the Xbox Series X but it still feels a bit last-gen and sluggish at times in comparison to the PS5 which is much faster in my experience. I noticed that the Xbox Series X could get very sluggish at times with the Guide taking 5-10 seconds to appear as the console was downloading updates in the background. This is something that I have never noticed happening on my PS5. The interface is at least 4K now so it does look sharper than the blurry one on my Xbox One X. The Series X does at least allow you to copy/move games in the background as you play games and have more than one external device plugged in so this is a huge improvement on the lacklustre PS5 options which has you stuck on a screen while game copy/move options complete. Transferring files from one drive to another, even hard drives, also seems much faster than on the PS5.

- VRR is supported on the Xbox Series X unlike the PS5 so at last I can play UbiSoft games such as Assassin's Creed: Valhalla without having to endure horrid screen tearing. It also smooths out the framerate drops. Honestly, this is the feature that I miss most on my PS5 and at this rate it doesn't look like it'll ever come to PS5 but I hope I'm wrong. This doesn't excuse poor optimisation and screen tearing really isn't something we should be seeing in modern games in my opinion but very few games have a perfect locked 60 fps or 120 fps framerate so VRR helps keep things running smoothly when the game inevitably does drop to 59 or 58 fps or whatever. I wish Sony would hurry up and add the blooming thing to the PS5; it is long overdue really.

- Games like Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 are superb without a doubt but they do not feel like current gen games and so do not wow me as much as I would expect if these were built only for the current gen systems. Having a smooth 60 fps framerate is something I already take for granted now having owned a PS5 for over a year. There's nothing like Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Returnal or Demon's Souls to showcase how impressive the new hardware really is. Most of the games I've tried via Game Pass are just enhanced versions of older Xbox One games, some with higher resolutions and some with higher framerates. The PS5 is not much better admittedly for current gen exclusives but the new interface and games such as Demon's Souls at launch at least did make the system feel next gen and special (albeit somewhat like a system in beta due to the bugs!). The Xbox Series X is very much an iterative improvement over my previous Xbox One X, in much the same way as upgrading a graphics card would be on a PC. Don't remember feeling that way when I got my PS5 even though that is technically was an iterative upgrade over my previous PS4 Pro. Maybe it's a case of it being less impressive because I bought it last? It's a bit disappointing but I know that the games will come in time.

- The controller is just a small refinement on the previous Xbox One controller and so doesn't really stand out in any way. This is a good controller, no doubt, I've been using an Elite controller on my PC for years now and before that an Xbox 360 controller so it feels like a PC standard now. Rumble support also seems to be improved and feels less 'buzzy' than on the previous generation controllers (am I just imagining that?). Still, the PS5 DualSense controller does feel that bit more special and next-gen with its haptics and adaptive triggers, which helped give that system a next-gen feel. Perhaps because it doesn't support that, the Xbox controller's battery life is much much better than the PS5's which seems to only last 5-7 hours at most. I can easily get a week or more out of an Xbox controller.

Overall, I think the machine is an impressive piece of kit, like the PS5, and it is definitely a cheaper alternative to building a gaming PC right now, especially if you have one hooked up to a 55" OLED TV with HDR and surround sound like I do. I think after the Xbox 360 'red ring of death' fiasco that Microsoft know how to build really impressive and good quality hardware and they are also good at supporting new technologies such as VRR and ALLM (which my Xbox One X supported... FOUR years ago, Sony). They also seem to be making an effort to put more exclusive games on the Xbox and PC which is a very good thing. I think 2022 will be a good year for Microsoft so now is definitely the right time to buy an Xbox Series X, if you can find one.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
How did a thread about owning an xbox Series X and a PS5 decend into such petty bickering over battery packs...

20211221_143332.jpg

I on the hand would argue I don't care because I have both... truely a best of both worlds solution. As for the AA's my Elite controller with rechargeable lithium ion will resolve that...

Last edited:
Having owned an Xbox Series X for 3 weeks now and having used it extensively over the festive period, I can say that I am very impressed with the console's implementation of VRR which I use at 4K and 120 Hz on my LG B9 OLED TV. It's so nice to *not* see screen tearing in games from UbiSoft (Assassin's Creed: Valhallla and Far Cry 6) or framerate stutter in those few games that cannot hold a locked 60 or 120 fps (such as Halo Infinite and WRC 10). It's something I've taken for granted on my (aged 2013 PC with a G-SYNC display) but it really is transformative for console gaming. It not only makes games run smoother and without horrid screen tearing but I believe it will also grant the machine more longevity when later generation games really push the hardware and developers can no longer guarantee locked 60 fps framerates (not that they do now anyway). VRR is something I sorely miss on my PS5 and one of the main reasons I decided to buy an Xbox Series X late last year; that and the fact that my PC is getting on a bit and I cannot source an affordable GPU replacement for my GTX 1080 Ti.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I've had a Series X since May last year and just bought a PS5. I have to say that while the Series X felt like a smooth transfer frƄn one (!) Xbox to another, moving from PS4 to PS5 felt more like a traditional generation leap thanks to the new controller, the new UI and the overall experience.

Hate the design, though...

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've had a Series X since May last year and just bought a PS5. I have to say that while the Series X felt like a smooth transfer frƄn one (!) Xbox to another, moving from PS4 to PS5 felt more like a traditional generation leap thanks to the new controller, the new UI and the overall experience.

Hate the design, though...
It's weird but neither has really felt like a generational leap to me. They both just kind of feel like a continuation of last generation to me. With the mid-gen refreshes and the higher quality of most games as a result this first year of PS5 and XSX has sort of been more evolution than revolution to me. I appreciate what the new machines have been capable of from a graphics perspective and I love the reduction in load times due to the guarantees of SSD. Games look better but don't seem to play any differently to me. I know I'm in the minority but I don't like the adaptive triggers on the DualSense. Maybe I haven't played enough games that use them well.

dcx4610

I used to be a AA battery hater because it felt cheap but honestly, for future proofing, it's the right answer. I have a play and charge in mine but knowing you can use AA or recharable batteries (those will be around forever) is good peace of mind. It's consumer friendly and gives you choice.

You can't even easily open up the PS5 controller and those batteries will die one day. Sony's answer? Buy a new controller.

Jebron

Jesus Christ... this thread started out so good and devolved into a bunch of nerds bickering about fucking AA batteries.

Get a grip you dorks.

JLB

Banned
I've owned both MS and Sony consoles since the original Xbox. My issues with the XB1 and XSX are the same. I hate the OS and hate your inability to manage/move/copy save files and DLC individually. You just have such little control. Wasn't an issue with the Xbox and 360, but since the XB1 it's been an issue.

Performance-wise I've always liked Xbox consoles.

Not save files, but DLCs and such can be managed.. through the manage screen.

Alan Wake

It's weird but neither has really felt like a generational leap to me. They both just kind of feel like a continuation of last generation to me. With the mid-gen refreshes and the higher quality of most games as a result this first year of PS5 and XSX has sort of been more evolution than revolution to me. I appreciate what the new machines have been capable of from a graphics perspective and I love the reduction in load times due to the guarantees of SSD. Games look better but don't seem to play any differently to me. I know I'm in the minority but I don't like the adaptive triggers on the DualSense. Maybe I haven't played enough games that use them well.
No, you're right. That's why I wrote "more like a traditional generation leap" than the Series X. It's not like in the old days where I was blown away with a launch game (Sonic Adventure, Halo and so on). I don't know if we'll ever get that again. Astro's Playroom is cool and certainly a fun way to show off the new controller, but that's about it.

It's never been this smooth to upgrade from one gen to another, but it's also never been so... uninspiring?

Topher

Gold Member

Graphically these consoles are definitely not anything close to a "leap" from last gen (so far). But I'm really fine with that now that the option for 60fps is available across the board. I gamed almost entirely on PC last gen because of the horrible frame rates on consoles. These frame rates are by far the most significant improvement from last gen, imo. Having said that, I've said elsewhere that the superior loading times have me gaming on consoles more so than PC at this point. I didn't think it would make much difference, but it certainly has. It is painful to stare at the loading screens for Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite on PC after playing on XSX.

DualSense is great, but if I'm honest, I'd rather have built in back buttons than haptics.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Graphically these consoles are definitely not anything close to a "leap" from last gen (so far). But I'm really fine with that now that the option for 60fps is available across the board. I gamed almost entirely on PC last gen because of the horrible frame rates on consoles. These frame rates are by far the most significant improvement from last gen, imo. Having said that, I've said elsewhere that the superior loading times have me gaming on consoles more so than PC at this point. I didn't think it would make much difference, but it certainly has. It is painful to stare at the loading screens for Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite on PC after playing on XSX.

DualSense is great, but if I'm honest, I'd rather have built in back buttons than haptics.
I agree. And I understand the loading screens. I tried playing Guardians of the Galaxy on my One X and the load times were so painful I just turned it off. The SSD's in the new consoles and not having to wait forever every time I die is the thing I love the most.

small_law

Both consoles are pretty fantastic. Microsoft had more work to do than Sony this time around. As I understand it, Mark Cerny had to lobby Sony Japan to design the PS4 and there was a lot of resistance. He got it done. Every fundamental problem the PS3 had was fixed by the PS4.

That was what Microsoft had to do with Series X and S for this generation, i.e., hose all the Don Mattrick out of the Xbox brand. And they did it. It doesn't have a slow hard drive or try to be all in one media solution or a weak memory etc. Heck, if you go into the networking options, there's some stuff there that's really interesting, like packet identification for QOS settings. Kind of forward thinking stuff.

Top Bottom