• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 owner: I just bought a Xbox Series X - I'm very impressed

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty sure a standard Dual Sense is $10 more than a standard Xbox Series controller.

5 quid difference in the UK, 54.99 vs 59.99 via amazon

It is. Right now in Europe Xbox Store 56,99 Euro with free shipping and Dual Sense 69,99 + 3,99 Euro shipping. You can easily get a charger + 4 rechargable AAs for the difference.

My mistake. The price I saw when I posted was $69 but looking a second time I see the lower price. Not sure why that one was more expensive. Thanks for the correction.

rofif

Banned
For me it is that firstly that a poor kid receiving the item (even 2nd hand as a gift) is then in a constant cycle of buying batteries or buying something else - whether they can afford it or not, so not very inclusive -, and secondly it means they've provided less technology while charging the same as competitors(Nintendo/Sony that use the expensive (lithium-ion) option - so presumably they have a better margin on their pads; especially if getting a kickback from Duracell IIRC or they are less effective at making the devices.

Fast charging (eg10mins for 1hr) is now pretty widespread, so playing with a USB cable for 10-20mins is probably the preferred option for the wider market, given that between the Switch, PS4 and X1 there appears to be a correlation with console sales and technology used. IMHO xbox are in an echo chamber on the issue of tiering their controller technology and upselling an Elite pad - which should be the only option, and the pack-in IMO.

As a non-Xbox buyer I wouldn't want to buy a device and then instantly be upsold on extras - like getting on a Ryan Air flight - I want an amazing standard experience and the games to impress.
I don’t give a crap about kids. You buy him rechargeable batteries and it’s done.
and the fucking fast charging will be another nail in the coffin to kill internal batteries faster.
thank god Sony went with normal charging…. at least the stupid internal battery will last a bit longer.

good luck finding original new internal battery replacement…. Oh wait you can’t. Especially not in few years.

there is nothing wrong with choice. Your backwards thinking is going really far to justify the anti consumer move like that. Let’s talk in 5 years. Your dual sense will last 4 hours and Xbox still 40hours on each battery set.

and you act like batteries cost a fortune. 10 ikea pack is 3 dollars here.. but you can get rechargeables.

you know the rechargeable AA batteries could easily charge inside a controller? Just like Microsoft plan and charge kit.

I would love dialsense to be 10 usd cheaper and let me pick if I want an official charge kit or use AA

Lognor

Banned
Ya AAs are so much better. That's why 1000$ phones come with AAs. ::rolleyes::
You mean $1,000 phones that you leave running 24/7? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

But for a controller you use maybe a few hours a day that gets THIRTY hours of battery life with AA batteries. That makes perfect sense.

I take that over a built in battery that gets you FOUR hours any day of the week. No brainer.

Topher

Gold Member
You mean $1,000 phones that you leave running 24/7? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

But for a controller you use maybe a few hours a day that gets THIRTY hours of battery life with AA batteries. That makes perfect sense.

I take that over a built in battery that gets you FOUR hours any day of the week. No brainer.

What controller only gives you four hours of battery life? Cuz that is not the DualSense.

"In testing, we found that the DualSense lasted a total of 13 hours and 11 minutes. "

I don’t give a crap about kids.
1457975259-armwrestle.gif

Lognor

Banned
What controller only gives you four hours of battery life? Cuz that is not the DualSense.

"In testing, we found that the DualSense lasted a total of 13 hours and 11 minutes. "

The very same controller:

with Astro's PlayRoom, for example, the battery of the DualSense lasts approximately 2 hours.

Topher

Gold Member
The very same controller:

Ah.....so a game that was designed as a tech demo for all the features of the DualSense is being used to generalize battery life? Seriously?

Ah.....so a game that was designed as a tech demo for all the features of the DualSense is being used to generalize battery life? Seriously?
If you read your sentence outside of this debate you guys are having, it is kind of hilarious. You would think that the perfect game to test the dualshock would be a tech demo game specifically designed to showcase the dualshock.

I'm not really sure why Astrobot would use that much battery though honestly. Lots of games use the dual sense stuff. Gyro shouldn't be that battery demanding if Switch is any indication.

Topher

Gold Member
If you read your sentence outside of this debate you guys are having, it is kind of hilarious. You would think that the perfect game to test the dualshock would be a tech demo game specifically designed to showcase the dualshock.

I'm not really sure why Astrobot would use that much battery though honestly. Lots of games use the dual sense stuff. Gyro shouldn't be that battery demanding if Switch is any indication.

Not sure why that is hilarious to you. Astro is the perfect game to find the worst case scenario, not an average. As I said, Astro was designed to show off Dualsense features. Either way, pretending Astro is representative of the DualSense overall is being very disingenuous.

Last edited:
Not sure why that is hilarious. Astro is the perfect game to find the worst case scenario, not an average. As I said, Astro was designed to show off Dualsense features. Either way, pretending Astro is representative of the DualSense overall is being very disingenuous.
Because you would think they'd be showing off the ideal utilization of the controller. So to get good battery life you have to skip all the new features?

I don't get it honestly.

Lognor

Banned
Astro's Playroom drains the battery in TWO hours. Okay, let's forget about this "tech demo."

Returnal gives you 5-6 hours:

I've read that PS5 native games give far worse battery life than PS4 games.

But even if we want to say 6 hours, that is still awful. Xbox gives you 30 hours. The Switch pro controller gives you 40 (based on a quick google search....that sounds way too high though!).

So six hours with a built in battery vs thirty with AA's. Yeah, give me those AAs!. Even if MS adds in haptics and adaptive triggers, you would still get WAY more than six hours on those AAs. I can't go back. I won't!

rofif

Banned

13 hour lol. Maybe in my sleep. The thing is max 8…. At least mine. While Xbox controllers are about 40 and hot swap

Astro's Playroom drains the battery in TWO hours. Okay, let's forget about this "tech demo."

But even if we want to say 6 hours, that is still awful. Xbox gives you 30 hours. The Switch pro controller gives you 40 (based on a quick google search....that sounds way too high though!).

So six hours with a built in battery vs thirty with AA's. Yeah, give me those AAs!. Even if MS adds in haptics and adaptive triggers, you would still get WAY more than six hours on those AAs. I can't go back. I won't!

I guess I'm not surprised. The PS4 had the worst battery last gen too.

elliot5

Some of the takes I’m reading are interesting lol

AA batteries are “cheap” and using a dedicated stand is “luxurious and beautiful” lol.

Having the option for removable batteries + rechargeable removeables + rechargeable internal is worse than only rechargeable internal? What…

Haptics are indeed best on ps5 but anyone honestly thinking having more options for how a device is powered is a negative is wyld.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
13 hour lol. Maybe in my sleep. The thing is max 8…. At least mine. While Xbox controllers are about 40 and hot swap

I mean, 40 is a little too generous lol.

But, yes, with vibration turned off (I also have it off on my DS4 on the PS4 Pro), the battery life on the SX controller is a lot longer than DS4s. Maybe double.

Topher

Gold Member
Because you would think they'd be showing off the ideal utilization of the controller. So to get good battery life you have to skip all the new features?

I don't get it honestly.

Most games are not designed to show off the features of DualSense. They use the features when they make sense as part of the game.

You posted an article that says four hours but now it is two? Why is that number constantly changing?

8 hours is probably about right for typical usage I would say.

Lognor

Banned
Most games are not designed to show off the features of DualSense. They use the features when they make sense as part of the game.

You posted an article that says four hours but now it is two? Why is that number constantly changing?

Why is it changing? Because it apparently changes with the game! No shit!

You don't deny that Astros' Playroom drains the controller in two hours. You admit that. And now you seem to accept that Returnal drains it in 6 hours. We can go on and on.

The main point is that the dualsense battery life sucks and the fact that there is a built in battery is awful because of that terrible battery life.

rofif

Banned

Returnal kills battery and r2 springs :p
I mean, it is all worth it since dualsense is amazing with it's features. But I still get 1 full long evening with Returnal... 6 I think

Topher

Gold Member
Why is it changing? Because it apparently changes with the game! No shit!

You don't deny that Astros' Playroom drains the controller in two hours. You admit that. And now you seem to accept that Returnal drains it in 6 hours. We can go on and on.

The main point is that the dualsense battery life sucks and the fact that there is a built in battery is awful because of that terrible battery life.

What are you talking about? I never "admitted" a thing. I asked you why you were now saying Astro drains the battery in two hours when you linked an article saying four.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
What are you talking about? I never "admitted" a thing. I asked you why you were now saying Astro drains the battery in two hours when you linked an article saying four.

Did you read my post? I linked TWO articles. One said four hours. The other said two hours. You first responded to me about my claim that the PS5 controller lasts four hours and said that was not the case. With at least one game it is the case. And with Returnal it appears to be six hours. That is two PS5 native games where the battery life is six hours or less. Not ideal.

And that is why I would prefer AA's. If the PS5 controller took AA's it would not be an issue. You would have your eneloops charged and ready to go when your controller died. There would be no need to play a game with your controller plugged in (*shudder*) or need to buy an additional controller for when your primary controller dies.

It boggles my mind the defense force for built in batteries, especially when the battery life is so awful.

Topher

Gold Member
Did you read my post? I linked TWO articles. One said four hours. The other said two hours. You first responded to me about my claim that the PS5 controller lasts four hours and said that was not the case. With at least one game it is the case. And with Returnal it appears to be six hours. That is two PS5 native games where the battery life is six hours or less. Not ideal.

And that is why I would prefer AA's. If the PS5 controller took AA's it would not be an issue. You would have your eneloops charged and ready to go when your controller died. There would be no need to play a game with your controller plugged in (*shudder*) or need to buy an additional controller for when your primary controller dies.

It boggles my mind the defense force for built in batteries, especially when the battery life is so awful.

No, I only looked at the first article which is why I was confused where the two numbers were coming from. Either way, you can skip the "defense force" rhetoric. I'm not claiming built-ins have equivalent battery life at all. My point is that these results are not typical in most cases. I told you yesterday that those looking for the maximum life and value would want rechargeable AA. Nothing I've said today conflicts with that.

Banjo64

cumsessed
As to the battery discussion - 8bitdo do it best. Compatible with batteries but comes with a rechargeable battery pack that charges whilst in the controller through USB C.

Rivet

Dualsense battery life is virtually infinite to me since it's never a problem. I just put it on the dock and forget the thing when I'm finished. I used my 2nd controller maybe once or twice after a 10 hour returnal session because the first one was drained. Took me 1 second switching on the dock. It never happens, battery life is more than enough for a normal play session.

Who doesn't pause to eat or do something else? Nobody.

I don't see myself switching AA batteries every 40 hours... It already pisses me off doing that for all my connected thermometers in my house and all my son's toys. No thanks.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Dualsense battery life is infinite to me. I just put it on the dock and forget the thing when I'm finished. I used my 2nd controller maybe once or twice after a 10 hour returnal session because the first one was drained. Took me 1 second switching on the dock. It never happens, battery life is more than enough for a normal play session.

I don't see myself switching AA batteries every 40 hours, we're in 2021... It already pisses me off doing that for all my connected thermometers in my house and all my son's toys. No thanks.
Very cool. You get infinite battery life when you put it on your beautiful stand. You just say it how it is!

Antwix

Got the black ones with i guess 2450 or 2550. Heard good things about the IKEA Laddas, perhaps you should give those a try.
I have both the white eneloops (I bought them probably 5+ years ago) as well as the white IKEA laddas, which I got rather recently. The Ikea batteries seem to last just as long as the eneloops. Great performace for the both of them. It's not like I've done any scientific testing on them though.

By the way, I am also chiming in to say the PS4 controller battery life is absolute trash. I even replaced the internal battery with a "new" battery. Still trash. I haven't used the PS5 DualSense though so I can't comment on that. I MUCH prefer the Xbox way of doing things, with the option for AA batteries.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I have both the white eneloops (I bought them probably 5+ years ago) as well as the white IKEA laddas, which I got rather recently. The Ikea batteries seem to last just as long as the eneloops. Great performace for the both of them. It's not like I've done any scientific testing on them though.

By the way, I am also chiming in to say the PS4 controller battery life is absolute trash. I even replaced the internal battery with a "new" battery. Still trash. I haven't used the PS5 DualSense though so I can't comment on that. I MUCH prefer the Xbox way of doing things, with the option for AA batteries.
The laddas are long rumoured to be from the same factory as eneloops but just repurposed for IKEA. They are insane.

Dualsense battery life is infinite to me. I just put it on the dock and forget the thing when I'm finished. I used my 2nd controller maybe once or twice after a 10 hour returnal session because the first one was drained. Took me 1 second switching on the dock. It never happens, battery life is more than enough for a normal play session.

I don't see myself switching AA batteries every 40 hours... It already pisses me off doing that for all my connected thermometers in my house and all my son's toys. No thanks.
You’d rather spend 100$ on a second controller and charging stand than swap some rechargeable batteries once every 40 hours? That’s a valid choice, but it doesn’t make the 10 hour battery life infinite.

I’m just shocked that you manage to get 10 hour game sessions in when you have a son, on top of spending hours spamming laughing and triggered emojis on GAF :messenger_tears_of_joy: fair play to you.

octiny

Banned

I don't see myself switching AA batteries every 40 hours, we're in 2021... It already pisses me off doing that for all my connected thermometers in my house and all my son's toys. No thanks.

Let's be honest Kholinar, you were better off just reacting to people's messages & being afraid of getting caught w/ this alt account than posting.

Your takes were & still are embarrassing. Imagine not thinking having the best of both worlds is better than one.

Rivet

Very cool. You get infinite battery life when you put it on your beautiful stand. You just say it how it is!

Well, of course it is virtually infinite if you're never bothered by battery life... Take it on the dock when needed, put it back when you're done.

Now that's just my own use. People who do 12 hour long sessions without having lunch or taking a shower might be bothered, then it's different, but all they have to do is using a second controller and switch in 1 second on the dock. Still a lot better than constantly switching AA batteries in my opinion.

Last edited:

twilo99

Best haptics outside of controllers... Haptics on a controller are very different to those on a smartphone. On PS5 games, haptics make you feel the rain falling in multiple points on the controller, the sand you're walking in, things like that. I don't think you could do the same on a smartphone due to it being flat and very thin. Taptics on iphone is still pretty impressive, it sometimes feels nearly like physical buttons, but the nature of smartphones is a big limitation.

I'm sure they are different, but same engineering realm, no? I would imagine that any good engineer in the field can work on haptics for different form factors. I just know that Apple have some of the best, and its probably easier to hire some of them than it is to go after Sony's.

Microsoft probably have some knowhow as well, but its obviously way behind Sony's.

Well, of course it is virtually infinite if you're never bothered by battery life...
It's infinite for me too, which is why I bought a charging stand, 2nd controller and plan out my lunches and bathroom breaks around it.

I think the better way to phrase it would be that the battery is awful, but it personally doesn't bother you because of your gaming schedule and accessories.

Last edited:

Rivet

Your takes were & still are embarrassing. Imagine not thinking having the best of both worlds is better than one.

Of course, if I had a Series X, I'd buy the battery pack and a dock, obviously, that's a solution too. Why do you get so triggered about people not liking AA batteries ? That's weird, nobody's attacking you here.

Other people had the same take as me earlier, it's not like it's a unique take. Li/Ion batteries are everywhere these days...

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Why do you get so triggered about people not liking AA batteries ? That's weird, nobody's attacking you here.

Other people had the same take as me earlier, it's not like it's a unique take. Li/Ion batteries are everywhere these days...

Which doesn't make the situation any better. It was a shitty take then & it still is today.

Having the option to use BOTH is always the better solution, no matter the device or product. So when you go spouting that using user replaceable batteries is archaic in 2021 & prefer a locked down solution w/ further possibility of failure points you're just being disingenuous simply to support your favorite plastic box.

User replaceability always wins.

Edit: Also, congrats to the OP. Glad you're enjoying it!

Last edited:

Laieon

I have the 1900mAh Eneloops and while I haven't timed it, it feels like 15~20 hrs of game time to me, on average.

That's about what I get with the Eneloops too. No real complaints though, because I almost always have another pair charging.

Rivet

Which doesn't make the situation any better. It was a shitty take then & it still is today

Having the option to use BOTH is always the better solution, no matter the device or product. So when you go spouting that using user replaceable batteries is archaic in 2021 & prefer a locked down solution w/ further possibility of failure points you're just being disingenuous simply to support of your favorite plastic box.

User replaceability always wins.

Well, you're the one triggered about a plastic box, not me. I hadn't even talked to you when you posted your agressive meltdown because I dare hating changing AA batteries. Go figure. Maybe go for a walk and calm down a bit ?

I prefer having a Li / Ion battery as the default option. I never had a controller battery failing on me, but maybe I was lucky, I don't know.

Yes, having the option to pay for replacing AA batteries by a Li/Ion pack and a dock is okay too. Just less convenient obviously.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Well, you're the one triggered about a plastic box, not me. I hadn't even talked to you when you posted your agressive meltdown because I dare hating AA batteries. Go figure.

I prefer having a Li / Ion battery as the default option. I never had a controller battery failing on me, but maybe I was lucky.

And yes, having the option to replace AA batteries by a Li/Ion pack is okay too. Just less convenient to me.

Sorry, it's hard not to get triggered by someone who uses an alt account because they were banned for console warring & now hides their profile in fear because they were SS'ed so many times by other people. How dare me.

Yes, you must be lucky 😏

Halo Infinite is a "next gen game" as long as it runs like shit on last gen consoles? And why would you not "count" Ratchet? It has more claim to being "next gen" than Halo or Forza.
Because Ratchet lasts like 10 hours so I wouldn’t count that as a game.
It’s like the movies that last less than 30 minutes so they aren’t considered movies for festivals but are called short films instead.

Topher

Gold Member
Because Ratchet lasts like 10 hours so I wouldn’t count that as a game.
It’s like the movies that last less than 30 minutes so they aren’t considered movies for festivals but are called short films instead.

What? 10 hours isn't a game? There are plenty of games that are under 10 hours. Halo Infinite's main story campaign is than 10 hours. There is even an achievement for beating it in less than 8. Regardless, your criteria for games or "next gen" is a bit all over the place.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What? 10 hours isn't a game? There are plenty of games that are under 10 hours. Halo Infinite's main story campaign is than 10 hours. There is even an achievement for beating it in less than 8. Regardless, your criteria for games or "next gen" is a bit all over the place.

I finished Halo infinite on Legendary in 10 hours.... but he has it listed as a game whaaaaa.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Nobody will catch on with AA batteries, it's an obsolete technology. It makes Xbox controller look like it's stuck in the past. Maybe not for you, but as a high-tech product, it's a bad look, only products still using AA batteries these days are toys or low cost electronic devices. I never had to replace a single battery in a controller, none of them ever died on me since PS3. As I said, just put it on the charging stand, takes no time, zero hassle, you can't do better than that.

Microsoft will catch on with haptics though, like Phil Spencer already hinted at recently.
Lol I’ll take Eneloops that last 40+ hours per charge over a built in battery that lasts 6-7 hours with haptics off and only 3-4 with them on. No competition on which is better.

Lognor

Banned
Well, of course it is virtually infinite if you're never bothered by battery life... Take it on the dock when needed, put it back when you're done.

Now that's just my own use. People who do 12 hour long sessions without having lunch or taking a shower might be bothered, then it's different, but all they have to do is using a second controller and switch in 1 second on the dock. Still a lot better than constantly switching AA batteries in my opinion.
Which is it? First you said it was infinite and now you're saying virtually infinite. I don't think we can take you serious any longer. The next thing you know you'll be saying that the stand is "virtually beautiful." You are flip flopping all over the place.

I haven't wavered once. AA batteries are the best solution.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean, 40 is a little too generous lol.

But, yes, with vibration turned off (I also have it off on my DS4 on the PS4 Pro), the battery life on the SX controller is a lot longer than DS4s. Maybe double.
With these i easily get more than 30hours on one charge:

ImgW.ashx

Vibration included. But yeah the price is like 600CZK so umm ~23EUR (ojro if you are German). And I have them since the X1X era.

REDRZA MWS

With these i easily get more than 30hours on one charge:

ImgW.ashx

Vibration included. But yeah the price is like 600CZK so umm ~23EUR (ojro if you are German). And I have them since the X1X era.
Yup. Been using these for years. The battery life is unmatched, and the batteries themselves have lasted years.

Top Bottom