• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 overtakes Nintendo Switch to become 2022’s best-selling console (so far} | UK Monthly Charts - August 2022

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Estimated sales:
PS5 ~300k (vs ~540k last year)
NSW ~295k (vs ~430k last year)
XBS ~285k (vs ~330k last year)
That's not very many consoles.

The UK is a small market.

Sony needs to start getting more product everywhere. They are going to sell less than consoles than Switch again this year worldwide which should not be happening 2 years in.

If they met demand they could be breaking records.

Woopah

Sony needs to start getting more product everywhere. They are going to sell less than consoles than Switch again this year worldwide which should not be happening 2 years in.

Sony have had a big increase in supply in recent weeks and are starting to meet demand. I think they can continue to meet demand until the holiday season begins.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Sony have had a big increase in supply in recent weeks and are starting to meet demand. I think they can continue to meet demand until the holiday season begins.
Nintendo is projecting millions more sales for Switch this year worldwide than Sony is PS5's and it's like 6 years old. Usually they come fairly close to their targets.

Sony should be destroying right now but they are not making them fast enough.

No excuse for this even if the supply lines and parts are costly Sony needs to pay whatever it takes to build the install base.

Woopah

Nintendo is projecting millions more sales for Switch this year worldwide than Sony is PS5's and it's like 6 years old. Usually they come fairly close to their targets.

Sony should be destroying right now but they are not making them fast enough.

No excuse for this even if the supply lines and parts are costly Sony needs to pay whatever it takes to build the install base.
I think that says more about Switch's longevity that it does about PS5.

21 million in a year is more than PS4 ever hit in its lifetime. PS5 sales can be below those of Switch and still very impressive.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
‘We don’t see the Switch as a threat’.

You’re talking about a plastic toy, not geopolitical warfare.

So cringey.
Exactly it's not a threat so why they keep bringing it up? You should quote the xbox warriors.

What's cringey is bringing up Nintendo constantly to downplay the PS5 as if you made any points. The Switch don't even have the same library 😅

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I think that says more about Switch's longevity that it does about PS5.

21 million in a year is more than PS4 ever hit in its lifetime. PS5 sales can be below those of Switch and still very impressive.
Gaming is growing PS5 could do better than PS4 if they had the stock.

TheTony316

It's everything to everyone. Truly one of the greatest consoles of all time. Not even close really
Technically, it's s portable with a docking station. You can use a laptop on a monitor but that doesn't mean it's a desktop PC.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I don't like Sony.

excited bismack biyombo GIF by Charlotte Hornets

Ezekiel_

Banned
PS4 sold through 30.2 million worldwide by November 2015 22nd (two years after launch).

PS5 at 21.5 million as of July 29th 2022.

With how the stock situation is improving, they might get close to PS4 levels, launch aligned.

Last edited:

Still the 3th biggest market by consoles sold until China will finally take over.

PS4 sold through 30.2 million worldwide by November 2015 22nd (two years after launch).

PS5 at 21.5 million as of July 29th 2022.

With how the stock situation is improving, they might get close to PS4 levels, launch aligned.
Stock ist just improving over the very low first and second quarter sales.
Still lagging behind PS4 quarterly sales. To make up for the gap, PS5 has to do more than PS4 quarterly.
Probably not even happening next holiday season. Maybe in the 4th year. Or never.
4nrczuF.png

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
What we see in a market like the UK is a good barometer for extrapolating what might be happening with the US, since the two markets are very similar.

Besides that we know in territories like Japan things heavily favor Nintendo but Japan doesn't have a lot of other markets with its type of conditions or broadly similar, so it's a bit of an exception and therefore results there can't really be used to extrapolate for what performances in other markets might look like.

You actually bring up a good point about PSP having HDMI Out to a TV. That actually changes this conversation WRT Switch A LOT. What makes the Switch any less of a portable than the PSP when they can both display their content to a TV, and neither have a dock that provides additional processing power?

This is what makes calling the Switch a home console kind of BS IMO; if it's a home console, then the PSP should be considered a home console too. I think it comes down to optics perception and Nintendo's own marketing why so many want to classify Switch as a console though. If they classify it as a handheld, then sales-wise it actually just trends somewhat better than 3DS but comes well short of the DS, then you have to consider that during the DS's era Nintendo also had the Wii adding another 100 million to DS's 155 million.

In other words, if Switch were classified as a portable then Nintendo not having a home console, takes their peak generational hardware sales from 255 million to just under 120 million, and there's no chance on God' green Earth that Switch or even Switch 2 combined with Switch reach 255 million. Even if they did, it'd of taken them multiple additional years over multiple generations to accomplish it.

But the silly part is, this obsession with people who want to classify Switch as a home console (or "hybrid", when again older portables like the PSP could count as a hybrid, or at least the PSP Go, as it natively supported DualShock 3 controllers), it only happens when your scope for what defines a successful console is limited by unit sales. So it's a bit funny when some PlayStation fans get accused of being narrowly focused on unit sales as the only measure of success worth mentioning, but I see way more Nintendo fans who do that with the Switch 🤷‍♀️

TBH might want to consider switching to Media Create for Japanese numbers, apparently they are more accurate than Famitsu and Nintendo themselves actually use the Media Create numbers, not Famitsu's.

Only issue there is, MC is a paid service, Famitsu's info is free.

PSvita is also a home console, when using same logic as with switch.

There is even home console version of vita, the vita tv.

Calling switch a (pure) home console is just false, yes it can be used as home console, but it is basically a handheld with tv out and there is handheld only model, so it is more of handheld than home console.

It is its own category and most fair thing to compare sales wise is to compare it to combined wii+ds numbers, as it replaced both kind of devices. Comparing it to home console only systems (ps5+xbox) is kind of not logical.

Home console should be a system, that can only be used with TV, anything else is either a portable, or something different. Nintendo also have kind of different audience than playstation/xbox, so it is not like many people choose between them three, they just want nintendo and nothing else.

I have ps5+series x + switch

Switch have never been sold out in my country

PS5 have been sold out since the launch

Series s have been available since the launch

Series x have been mostly sold out, but also available for some months in big quantities, like it have been available for weeks now

So basically same as gens before, playstation always sells out, others dont. But difference is that ps5 have been sold out for years instead of few months. And on world wide scale, PS5 have been the only truly supply constrained system of them all, as switch + xbox have never been sold out on global scale

Closer

PSvita is also a home console, when using same logic as with switch.

You could also connect a GBA to a GameCube. By that logic, it was a controller just like the Dreamcast with a VMU. The PS1 was also not a console as you could connect to a mobile screen, so it was a portable with a energy cable.

Last edited:
Still the 3th biggest market by consoles sold until China will finally take over.

Stock ist just improving over the very low first and second quarter sales.
Still lagging behind PS4 quarterly sales. To make up for the gap, PS5 has to do more than PS4 quarterly.
Probably not even happening next holiday season. Maybe in the 4th year. Or never.
4nrczuF.png
Sony predicts the PS5 to surpass PS4 launch aligned until March 2024. So somewhere during April 2023 until March 2024.

Sony predicts the PS5 to surpass PS4 launch aligned until March 2024. So somewhere during April 2023 until March 2024.

so sony are expecting well over 20m next fiscal year. looks like the stock problems will finally come to an end soon and because of a backlog, sales will explode. not to mention big software and any price cuts during that period. i can see PS5 getting its first price cut before holiday 2023.

Last edited:
To do that, they need to sell 40m consoles from April 2022 to March 2024.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF
If they expect to sell almost 20M during this year until march it's not weird they can surpass the PS4. That one is like 4 or 5M ahead launch aligned. Hardly something they can't surpass long term.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

Here's another dumb post. Switch is the market leader. Deal with it. Having a Switch and xbox is a perfect combo. Every Sony game will eventually land on pc now so I don't have to miss any titles anymore! Woot
If you follow your logic, then you don't need to have an xbox, because every game is on PC, on the first day.
That being said, are you suggesting people wait until the game they want to play comes out on PC a few years after PS5 because that console isn't big enough for you personally?

jm89

A little bit off topic, but it seems the big PS5 stock increase wasn't exclusive to the UK:

game_Charts_2022-08_PCKonsole_DE.jpg

Gran Turismo back to the top of the charts and Horizon from #11 to #7.
Spain too, sold around 6500 week. Looking at the weekly sales this year it has only really sold above that once I think. But real test will be if they can maintain that.

Last edited:

reksveks

I know. But they missed their last 3 targets, so I don't agree with that forecast at all.
They do generally seem optimistic. I will be interested to see what Q4 (their Q3) is like this year, it's going to have to be PS4 levels for sure.
Spain too, sold around 6500 week. Looking at the weekly sales this year it has only really sold above that once I think. But real test will be if they can maintain that.
Yeah, that was a good week after a couple of iffy ones. Ruben's disappeared but #2 week this year, there was a 10k week at the start of may and a 6k week at the end.

I'd bet this will hardly be the best Spain will have in a week this year. I think starting September and then October we'll see even more stock available.

Neofire

Here's another dumb post. Switch is the market leader. Deal with it. Having a Switch and xbox is a perfect combo. Every Sony game will eventually land on pc now so I don't have to miss any titles anymore! Woot
Anyone with two brain cells to rub together will know this entire post is false and is full of hopes and dreams at best.

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together will know this entire post is false and is full of hopes and dreams at best.
His post doesn't even make any sense considering that:

1- PS5 has over 100M monthly players...which is not too far from Switch's overall sales. Unless every Switch user player monthly, i'd say PS is still the market leader.
2- Xbox has Gamepass on PC with day one releases...in what way is having an Xbox a must have? From the 3 consoles it's literally the one that makes less sense, lmao.

You actually bring up a good point about PSP having HDMI Out to a TV. That actually changes this conversation WRT Switch A LOT. What makes the Switch any less of a portable than the PSP when they can both display their content to a TV, and neither have a dock that provides additional processing power?
The Switch switches (heh) into a different mode when docked, unlocking more power. And the Switch is priced like a home console, and its games are also priced like home console games. The Switch is also being used as a home console by many people, since the hybrid version vastly outsells the Switch Lite. It's a hybrid home console, there's no way around it 🤷‍♂️

Lognor

Banned
If you follow your logic, then you don't need to have an xbox, because every game is on PC, on the first day.
That being said, are you suggesting people wait until the game they want to play comes out on PC a few years after PS5 because that console isn't big enough for you personally?
Yeah that's true. I probably wouldn't have an Xbox if not for game pass. Too good of a deal to pass up. Switch is really the only console you need. Everything else is on pc.

Everything I said is true in my opinion

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Exactly it's not a threat so why they keep bringing it up? You should quote the xbox warriors.

What's cringey is bringing up Nintendo constantly to downplay the PS5 as if you made any points. The Switch don't even have the same library 😅
Exactly, the switch library absolutely pisses on the ps5 so there's no competition. There's really no surprise the switch is wiping the floor with the ps5 and series x. Once pokemon, bayonetta and zelda launch on switch its going to get another huge boost too.

Last edited:

jm89

I know. But they missed their last 3 targets, so I don't agree with that forecast at all.
I think they revised down their forecast by 3 million+ last fiscal year, which was a pretty crazy drop in what they initally expected, i don't buy their current forecast either but defintley not impossible. They also waited until the last quarter to announce the change in expectation, so they may wait last minute to lower that forecast if it happens.

They need to ramp up now though if they want that 18m, as this this year is where most of those sales will come from.

Neofire

His post doesn't even make any sense considering that:

1- PS5 has over 100M monthly players...which is not too far from Switch's overall sales. Unless every Switch user player monthly, i'd say PS is still the market leader.
2- Xbox has Gamepass on PC with day one releases...in what way is having an Xbox a must have? From the 3 consoles it's literally the one that makes less sense, lmao.
Bingo, people like him are just projecting what they hope will happen so they can justify the incantations and prayer sessions they have daily about Sony going bye bye and only Nintendo and MS are left.

Last edited:

JTCx

Bingo, people like him are just projecting what they hope will happen so they can justify the incantations and prayer sessions they have daily about Sony going bye bye and only Nintendo and MS is left.
They don't care about Nintendo either. Nintendo is only brought up because its only convenient. They constantly hide behind other platforms when it suits them.

Its typical bitch made shit lol.

Top Bottom