• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 overtakes Nintendo Switch to become 2022’s best-selling console (so far} | UK Monthly Charts - August 2022

yazenov

You could also say that every Nintendo handheld is just as, if not more, successful than Sony home consoles;

Game Boy 118.69 million sold
Game Boy Advance 81.51 million sold
Nintendo DS 154.02 million sold
Nintendo 3DS 75.94 million sold
Nintendo Switch 111.08 million sold

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/

So yeah. Based on that pattern Switch 2 could sell around 80 million units.

Bro, didn't the Nintendo DS cost like $150? It's a totally different ball game and that's why you can not compare it to regular consoles. For one, other than that form factor and portability it's priced for mass market appeal and caters to a totally different market.

Lognor

Banned
The PS5 disk version makes up most of the sales and availability is $500 compared to the Switch $300 . a 200 difference is huge and $300 is the mass market price, not $500. No Nintendo console could ever sell as well as Sony at $500 ever.

If Nintendo cuts the price to $250 this holidays, the PS5's price would be 2x more expensive than the Switch.

Lol at $500 being mass market price.
The Switch is 6 years old. The Switch launched at the same price as the ps4 and it smoked the ps4. Switch just has more mass market appeal. I wish Nintendo would make a switch 2 but I understand why they don't. They are outselling newer gen consoles regularly and their software is outselling everything. I need a new switch though. .

reksveks

Not as weird as consoles sales don't matter gibberish coming out of MS's camp or Gamepass increases game sales spin.
Okay, nice little detour.

Organic honey is still a mass market product even if you can get a non-organic store brand version for half the price.

yazenov

The Switch is 6 years old. The Switch launched at the same price as the ps4 and it smoked the ps4. Switch just has more mass market appeal. I wish Nintendo would make a switch 2 but I understand why they don't. They are outselling newer gen consoles regularly and their software is outselling everything. I need a new switch though. .

Actually, the PS4 launch price was $399 compared to the $299 Switch but nice try though. And the PS4 "smoked" the Wii U which was actually its direct competition that generation.

Last edited:

jm89

They are outsellong new gen consoles because new gen console are struggling with stock?🤔

Markets where playstation is still big is where it will outsell switch when stock is there, like the UK.

Ps5 was actually in third place in the uk, when both switch and xsx were widely available. Once stock came in it went no .1 within a few months, and even then it was struggling with stock.

Lognor

Banned
Actually, the PS4 launch price was $399 compared to the $299 Switch but nice try though. And the PS4 "smoked" the Wii U which was actually its direct competition that generation.
The ps4 was $300 by the time the switch came out, or shortly thereafter. And yet, a significantly less powerful console (the Switch) outsold the ps4 month over month over month. People like you thought the Switch would bomb. It didn't. It will, if it hasn't already, outsell the ps4 easily and the ps5 won't come close. Switch and Nintendo really are the market leader. Great price, great catalog, something for everyone. Wii u was a failure, no doubt. Nintendo has had failures, but so has Sony. Nintendo moved on and they're stronger than ever. They don't need to acquire anyone to continue as the market leader.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Bro, didn't the Nintendo DS cost like $150? It's a totally different ball game and that's why you can not compare it to regular consoles. For one, other than that form factor and portability it's priced for mass market appeal and caters to a totally different market.
? The PS4 slim was also £199 regularly for years until Covid hit. The One S was absurdly cheap for years, with the discless version costing £99 on Black Fridays.

jdforge

Banned
Nintendo went from hero to zero in the U.K. when PlayStation launched. To be quite honest they also struggled in the U.K. against SEGA.

But how they’ve turned their fortunes around in a very hospitable and competitive market, since GameCube is extremely impressive. Even more so with the introduction of Xbox seen by many in the U.K. as the spiritual successor to SEGA.

By the end of the year Nintendo will still be market leader in U.K. and globally.

Next year will see change.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The UK certainly does get a lot of threads about sales. I mean its only a couple of small countries. I can understand sales thread about the USA and Europe as a whole but threads for a little kingdom seems a bit pointless.

Last edited:
The UK certainly does get a lot of threads about sales. I mean its only a couple of small countries. I can understand sales thread about the USA and Europe as a while but threads for a little kingdom seems a bit pointless.

You do realize Europe is a continent, right? Not a country? UK is a part of Europe. So you're complaining about one country in Europe that happens to be the biggest European country for game sales there, while wanting sales for other European countries (which are out there) that are smaller than the UK?

Just slow down a second and think about that x3.

Sosokrates

You do realize Europe is a continent, right? Not a country? UK is a part of Europe. So you're complaining about one country in Europe that happens to be the biggest European country for game sales there, while wanting sales for other European countries (which are out there) that are smaller than the UK?

Just slow down a second and think about that x3.
Yeah duh, thats my point Europe is a sizable market, uk on its own is not.

FStubbs

PS5, back on the road to 200 million, or something.

But - on a more serious note - with all the stuff Sony is doing, right or wrong, I think we have enough evidence to prove Playstation is too big to fail.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Perfectly normal to see, as the Switch has now clearly passed its peak. It could still stay on the market for a couple more years, but this is the point where Nintendo would announce their next home console, whatever that might be (we should not assume it would merely be a “Switch 2,” aside from the online service).

Honestly, I would look to next year as when Nintendo reveals their next-generation plans, along with the arrival of Zelda BotW 2, as per tradition.

Perfectly normal to see, as the Switch has now clearly passed its peak. It could still stay on the market for a couple more years, but this is the point where Nintendo would announce their next home console, whatever that might be (we should not assume it would merely be a “Switch 2,” aside from the online service).

Honestly, I would look to next year as when Nintendo reveals their next-generation plans, along with the arrival of Zelda BotW 2, as per tradition.

I hope the nintendo sales start tanking soon simply because i want a switch 2. A game could be a 9 on nintendo (xenoblade 3) and it still feels like a 7 due to the shitty hardware.

Yeah I really love how people forget that the Wii U was the actual rival for the PS4. It's not Sony's fault that it flopped so hard that Nintendo had to release a new one really fast.

Lognor

Banned
Yeah I really love how people forget that the Wii U was the actual rival for the PS4. It's not Sony's fault that it flopped so hard that Nintendo had to release a new one really fast.
And so what? The Switch wasn't a rival? Lol. Riiight so it doesn't matter that the switch will outsell the ps4 because they're not rivals? Lol
Okay but if you want to say the Switch is actually rivals with the ps5 the switch still outsells the ps5, and most likely by a wider margin than it outsells the ps4. So we should just make that comparison? That make you feel better?

And so what? The Switch wasn't a rival? Lol. Riiight so it doesn't matter that the switch will outsell the ps4 because they're not rivals? Lol
Okay but if you want to say the Switch is actually rivals with the ps5 the switch still outsells the ps5, and most likely by a wider margin than it outsells the ps4. So we should just make that comparison? That make you feel better?
You have no idea how much the PS5 will be selling at the end

Lognor

Banned
You have no idea how much the PS5 will be selling at the end
You're right. I'm just assuming it'll end below ps4. With all Sony games coming to pc this gen, there are fewer people who will buy a ps5. And as streaming picks up, fewer still. Ps5 is behind ps4 launch aligned. I don't see it overtaking ps4

onQ123

The UK certainly does get a lot of threads about sales. I mean its only a couple of small countries. I can understand sales thread about the USA and Europe as a while but threads for a little kingdom seems a bit pointless.

Stop & think for a second just a second, The USA release data once a month while the UK release data every week so why wouldn't you see more UK threads vs USA.

Nothing is pointless about receiving sales data you just don't like the data that's being shown. It's pretty sick to act the way some of you do SMH.

Sosokrates

Stop & think for a second just a second, The USA release data once a month while the UK release data every week so why wouldn't you see more UK threads vs USA.
I guess if you want a representation of about 5-10% of the overall market.
However one thing that did not occur to me was that UK is a good indicator how bigger market may behave.

you just don't like the data that's being shown.

x4tO59t.gif

EDMIX

I love how folks are like "pure handheld" sir...you can pick that shit up and play it on the go, its a handheld. I've never seen the ability to out thru a TV as ever defining what the device is. I can out my phone to a TV, thats like saying some dumb shit like "its not a PURE PHONE" lol

Keep in mind, if people really believed this 100%, no bullshit, where is there threads telling us to add the fucking PSP as home console sale? I mean the shit isn't a "PURE HANDHELD" as you can out that to a tv.

Folks never went out of their way to goal post this shit, PSP was a portable REGARDLESS of a feature to out to a tv, I don't see how adding a cord as a extra is now suddenly changing what folks call it. I simply see this as something people do to cope with Nintendo no longer being in that home console market, but I knew long ago that if Nintendo left that market following Wii U, they 'd just throw in some HDMI, release a handheld only and call it a day.

That was exactly what they did and its doing wonders for them. I see no reason for folks to get upset over how its named or something, its a great handheld and moving great units for them like their past handhelds. I see no reason to reach to pretend thats not what it is or something. One can plug their phone into a tv and use it as a media player, that doesn't mean its not a phone folks.

Its silly and sounds cringe lol

Last edited:

reksveks

I will post the EU monthly charts/article when we get it. I do think that we probably need to have a table/estimate of the total market numbers as a % of WW results cause yeah, I suspect that it gets kinda lost when we post individual market numbers. Fundamentally more data is always good.

I think UK August numbers was like 1/2 of Japan's weekly numbers assuming famitsu numbers are correct.

UK August - 125k consoles
JP August - 347k roughly (tried to do it in my head)

Last edited:

onQ123

I guess if you want a representation of about 5-10% of the overall market.
However one thing that did not occur to me was that UK is a good indicator how bigger market may behave.

x4tO59t.gif

You entered this thread with one goal & that was to complain about the thread to start a echo chamber of the same few people who show up in these threads to complain about these threads in hopes that the mods will think these threads are a problem.

Sosokrates

You entered this thread with one goal & that was to complain about the thread to start a echo chamber of the same few people who show up in these threads to complain about these threads in hopes that the mods will think these threads are a problem.
And yet you're the only one bothered by it and making it an issue...
If it bothers you, theres an ignore feature.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's extremely impressive that Sony matches or outsells Nintendo because the PS5's price is 40% more expensive than the Switch. Selling more than Nintendo in units and revenue is insane.

It's like a Ferrari outselling a Toyota in unit sales. Literally unfathomable. One is an afordable mass market product that caters to the masses and the other is a luxury product that targets the higher income consumers.

This is such a bad and inapplicable analogy in this scenario.

TheTony316

Oh...now we're pretending the Switch is a pure handheld console like the Gameboy to fit a narrative. I'm out.

The Switch is a "pure" portable system with a docking station. It's built with portability in mind (The battery is by far the biggest internal component) it has it's own dedicated screen and the dock isn't requiered to play the system. It doesn't get more handheld/portable than that.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Switch has been out for over five years. Even supply constrained its embarrassing that Nintendo has been crushing them. Don’t even bother looking at how embarrassing Sony first party software sales is in relation to Nintendo. Switch has 10+ games that have sold more than any first party title on PS4 that has more install base.
Did you say the same at the beginning of the Switch years when they were supply constrained too?

I love how folks are like "pure handheld" sir...you can pick that shit up and play it on the go, its a handheld. I've never seen the ability to out thru a TV as ever defining what the device is. I can out my phone to a TV, thats like saying some dumb shit like "its not a PURE PHONE" lol

Keep in mind, if people really believed this 100%, no bullshit, where is there threads telling us to add the fucking PSP as home console sale? I mean the shit isn't a "PURE HANDHELD" as you can out that to a tv.

Folks never went out of their way to goal post this shit, PSP was a portable REGARDLESS of a feature to out to a tv, I don't see how adding a cord as a extra is now suddenly changing what folks call it. I simply see this as something people do to cope with Nintendo no longer being in that home console market, but I knew long ago that if Nintendo left that market following Wii U, they 'd just throw in some HDMI, release a handheld only and call it a day.

That was exactly what they did and its doing wonders for them. I see no reason for folks to get upset over how its named or something, its a great handheld and moving great units for them like their past handhelds. I see no reason to reach to pretend thats not what it is or something. One can plug their phone into a tv and use it as a media player, that doesn't mean its not a phone folks.

Its silly and sounds cringe lol
It's not a handheld, it's a hybrid console. There's a reason why most people buy the hybrid version and not the Switch Lite. As you've mentioned cope, the only cope I see is trying to act like the Switch isn't part of the console market so that people can pretend their preferred console is number 1.

Boo! UK has always been a Nintendo-shy Sony stronghold, and Sega before that. One of the only places on the planet that Sony is outdoing N's end of life 5 year old console, and only this year and only till the holiday period at that.

Woopah

The PS5 disk version makes up most of the sales and availability is $500 compared to the Switch $300 . a 200 difference is huge and $300 is the mass market price, not $500. No Nintendo console could ever sell as well as Sony at $500 ever.

If Nintendo cuts the price to $250 this holidays, the PS5's price would be 2x more expensive than the Switch.

Lol at $500 being mass market price.
If you're using the best selling model for PS5 than you should use the best selling model of Switch, the OLED at $350.

On a broader point, the analogy doesn't really work as difference in price and sales between Ferrari/Toyota and PS5/Switch are not comparable. The scale is on a completely different level.

Or to put it another way, this analogy would mean that the Xbox One launched as a Ferrari; a more luxury product than the PS4 and one that targeted higher income consumers than Sony's machine. But then a few years later both the Xbox One and PS4 had become Toyotas and were catering to the masses.

Top Bottom