• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Outsells the Wii U in Less Than One Year - Sales

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony's latest video game console, the PlayStation 5, has outsold the lifetime sales of the Nintendo Wii U after less than one year on the market, according to VGChartz estimates.

The PS5 had sold 13.58 million units worldwide through October 23, 2021, while the Wii U sold 13.56 million units lifetime.

The PS5 has sold 14.50 million units, according to the latest VGChartz estimates for the week ending November 13, 2021.

zelda-wii-u-2.jpg

Breaking down sales, the PS5 has yet to outsell the Wii U in the US as it has sold 5.13 million units through November 13. This compares to the Wii U, which sold 5.70 million units lifetime. The PS5 should outsell the Wii U in the US by the end of the year as long as there is enough stock available.

PS5 sales in Europe - 5.56 million units - are well ahead of the Wii U - 3.24 million units. In Japan, sales for the PS5 are a ways off from outselling the Wii U. PS5 has sold 1.18 million units through November 13, while the Wii U sold 3.33 million units.

Breaking down Europe sales, the PS5 has sold 1.26 million units in the UK through November 13, while the Wii U sold 0.69 million units. In Germany, the PS5 has sold 1.03 million units and the Wii U sold 0.75 million units. In France, the PS5 has sold 0.92 million units and the Wii U sold 0.85 million units.

ps5-playstation-5-logo-1.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment did announce it had shipped 13.4 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of September 30, 2021. With 13.4 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of September 2021 that means 3.3 million units were shipped from July to September. Demand for the console is still well above what Sony is able to supply.

skit_data

Can’t believe the Wii U lived for 5 years. But, they probably learned a lot that they later applied to Switch. The 50-50 Big loss/Big win curse of Nintendo is really interesting. Let’s see if they can break it with the Switch successor.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Can’t believe the Wii U lived for 5 years. But, they probably learned a lot that they later applied to Switch. The 50-50 Big loss/Big win curse of Nintendo is really interesting. Let’s see if they can break it with the Switch successor.
Is it really 50-50? They only had 3 economic failures
Virtual boy
GameCube
Wii U
Nes did well, snes did well, Gameboy did amazing, n64 was moderate, Gameboy did great, ds did extra amazing, Wii did great, 3ds did really good and switch is doing amazing.

Marty-McFly

Banned
It's doing well but starting to lag due to shortages.

It's now fallen behind Switch and PS4 launch aligned worldwide.

Sony needs to strike while the irons hot with increased Covid demand but ultimately will sell less consoles than they could have lifetime because the chip shortage is said to last at least three more years.

Last edited:
It's doing well but starting to lag due to shortages.

It's now fallen behind Switch and PS4 launch aligned worldwide.

Sony needs to strike while the irons hot with increased Covid demand but ultimately will sell less consoles than they could have lifetime because the chip shortage is said to last at least three more years.
You know it is a chicken an egg situation with the COVID demand thing. We can't really judge how well all the current consoles are doing vs previous generations when we have the chip shortage, increased demand because of COVID and the huge uptick in resellers markets.

skit_data

Virtual boy
GameCube
Wii U
Nes did well, snes did well, Gameboy did amazing, n64 was moderate, Gameboy did great, ds did extra amazing, Wii did great, 3ds did really good and switch is doing amazing.
I was mostly referring to their home consoles since the early 2000s, they have been pretty hit/miss every gen.

When it comes to handhelds they have pretty much dominated.

Edit: Still can’t understand how Gamecube failed. Probably the console from Nintendo I loved the most.

Last edited:
If you factor in their handheld then def not.

Their home consoles have been pretty much one on, one off
I feel like it is more like a steady decline to the GameCube followed by a huge surge on the Wii based on its being a 'hot' product with a cheap price tag, to the wii u which actually continued the pattern of decline from the NES, SNES, N64 and gamecube. The Wii was just the freak blip. The move to Switch, portable with a TV out, is the merging of their handheld market and remaining loyal console market, plus the fact it is a decent piece of hardware. Their next Switch still needs to knock it out of the park to stop the continued decline overall.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I feel like it is more like a steady decline to the GameCube followed by a huge surge on the Wii based on its being a 'hot' product with a cheap price tag, to the wii u which actually continued the pattern of decline from the NES, SNES, N64 and gamecube. The Wii was just the freak blip. The move to Switch, portable with a TV out, is the merging of their handheld market and remaining loyal console market, plus the fact it is a decent piece of hardware. Their next Switch still needs to knock it out of the park to stop the continued decline overall.
The next Switch doesn't really need to be anything but a follow up to the current Switch.

The formfactor is just what Nintendo wanted to consolidate their home and handheld division.

They have now put enough focus on first party games on one platform to the point where they are breaking hardware, software and profit records.

First party software sales have actually been the biggest boon for Nintendo in the Switch hardware generation. Nintendo's IP's are reaching the mass market.

Last edited:
The next Switch doesn't really need to be anything but a follow up to the current Switch.

The formfactor is just what Nintendo wanted to consolidate their home and handheld division.

They have now put enough focus on first party games on one platform to the point where they are breaking hardware, software and profit records.
I am a massive Nintendo fan and so I am always expecting the worst. I think they make great products, but they still have to make the Next Switch stand out technically to keep this positive momentum. They need it to be as good as, or close to, something like the Steamdeck. A new Switch is going to need to offer a huge tech jump or too many people are going to be shitting on it before it even gets into the stores.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I am a massive Nintendo fan and so I am always expecting the worst. I think the make great products but they still have to make the Next Switch stand out technically to keep this positive momentum. They need it to be as good as, or close to, something like the Steamdeck. A new Switch is going to need to offer a huge tech jump or too many people are going to be shitting on it before it even gets into the stores.
I think every generation from the PS2 generation has taught us hardware power is not that significant a factor in sales.

Nintendo makes great looking games with their own first party. Third party AAA require power for their ports but they don't do enough for Nintendo's bottom line for Nintendo to base their strategy around them.

They have sold close 100 million Switch's already and most of that has been off the back of their first party releases.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Huh? PlayStation has been the top selling console since Wii and that was awhile ago.
Switch has outsold PS4 and now PS4 + PS5 since 2018

Actually, it's on pace to be the fastest selling console of all time and is going to outsell the PS4 in around half the time on the market.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony's consoles usually outsell Nintendo's consoles, except for the Wii.
Yeah, Nintendo’s home consoles have never been mega sellers apart from the Wii. Software quality is always on point though. Their handheld sales are insane though:

120m sold in the Game Boy line up.
44m GBA sold.
150m sold in the DS line up.
75m sold in the 3DS line up.
93m sold in the Switch line up.

S0ULZB0URNE

Switch has outsold PS4 and now PS4 + PS5 since 2018

Actually, it's on pace to be the fastest selling console of all time and is going to outsell the PS4 in around half the time on the market.
CONSOLE

Marty-McFly

Banned
Yeah, Nintendo’s home consoles have never been mega sellers apart from the Wii. Software quality is always on point though. Their handheld sales are insane though:

44m GBA sold.
Switch is going to blow by Wii's lifetime sales this holiday.

S0ULZB0URNE

44m GBA sold.
^this

S0ULZB0URNE

It's called the Switch for a reason, because it functions as both a console and portable. What is should be called is a superior, more convenient and versatile form factor.

nintendo-switch-tv.jpg
4AL5dO7.jpg

We been through this.
Can you play a PS5 on the go?
Can we buy a portable only PS5 Lite.
The answer is obviously NO
Switch is like a cell phone which isn't considered a home device but can hook up to a tv with various devices just like the Switch which also uses a MOBILE chipset.
Don't get me started on comparing this and last gens CONSOLE specs to the Switch.

DazruVW.jpg

Marty-McFly

Banned
We been through this.
Can you play a PS5 on the go?
Can we buy a portable only PS5 Lite.
The answer is obviously NO

Switch is like a cell phone which isn't considered a home device but can hook up to a tv with various devices just like the Switch which also uses a MOBILE chipset.
Don't get me started on comparing this and last gens CONSOLE specs to the Switch.
That's on Sony.

You can't exclude Nintendo just because they delivered the most wanted form factor by consumers,

which is half home console.

Last edited:
5 million of the 13 million were sold in the U.S? Is it possible to find out how many of those 5 million were bought and resold by Scalpers?

Last edited:
5 million of the 13 million were sold in the U.S? Is it possible to find out how many of those 5 million were bought and resold by Scalpers?

Lol I love how “but scalpers” continues to be a thing, as if the switch and xbox don’t have scalpers.

Scalpers are just sony employees buying playstations and recycling them through sony to make more chips.

Shmunter

PS5 with the wifi6 chip is primed for a dumb handheld screen. Release a Dual Sense Display (tm) edition. Woukd work perfectly around the house at least like a wiiu.

Lol I love how “but scalpers” continues to be a thing, as if the switch and xbox don’t have scalpers.

Scalpers are just sony employees buying playstations and recycling them through sony to make more chips.

I'm just curious to know. This is a topic about Sony, not those other consoles.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I would like to cry about it, but this fact keeps me from not crying.
"The Wii U has sold through 13.5 million units, making it officially Nintendo's worst-selling console.Feb 1, 2017"

On other hand, the wii sold 101.63 million. It sold more than the switch. Doubt ps5 will touch that, considering Xbox and Nintendo are going crazy this gen. Who knows.

Banned
Virtual boy
GameCube
Wii U

only the Virtual Boy and the Wii U were actually bad failures. the GameCube is still considered ok by Nintendo as far as I know

Top Bottom