• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 official event June 4th cancelled - new date TBA

baphomet

Their PR statement is black and white. Unless you have some insider info that we don't, please share.

I can tell you right now they're not putting together a huge blowout for the future of the PS5, only to show the console later in a blog post.

This is where all the eyes will be. They'll show the console.

DonF

I love that Xbox is like "we want all gamers to enjoy games, so Xbox series x games will also be playable on Xbox one" and Sony is doing the exact opposite and I hope it works.
I buy a console cause I want new and better things, not to feel bad about the people who don't buy a new one, yet feel warm and fuzzy inside cause they are going to still enjoy a lesser version. That approach makes consoles feel like cellphones and I don't like that.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Iwata_coming_to_drop_the_bomb.jpg

Someone edit it with whoever is Sonys Iwata.

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I love that Xbox is like "we want all gamers to enjoy games, so Xbox series x games will also be playable on Xbox one" and Sony is doing the exact opposite and I hope it works.
I buy a console cause I want new and better things, not to feel bad about the people who don't buy a new one, yet feel warm and fuzzy inside cause they are going to still enjoy a lesser version. That approach makes consoles feel like cellphones and I don't like that.

Yup, and it's the main reason I am not compelled to get an XBOX Series X at launch. There just seems to be no reason too. I already have an XBOX One X, and it still provides amazing 4k experiences. And the only game right now I am looking forward to is Halo Infinite, and that will more then likely be 4k 60fps on XBOX One X. So there's just no reason for me to get a Series X right now.

Grinchy

Banned
There's a reason it's been done this way every single time except in the case of the XSX - and it's because Microsoft is behind.

After the 12 month window, when they finally release their first XSX-only game, that whole "we want every Xbox gamer enjoying every game" PR nonsense is over. It was a brilliant piece of PR, but it's fake nonetheless.

saintjules

Gentlemen and Women.

At this point I just need Sony and Microsoft to tell me where I can put this debit card in.

You're doing it wrong. Use a credit card, reduce leaving your checking account open to fraud, pay off balance at the end of each month, and collect rewards/points/cashback.

Yup, this is it. I wouldn't do debit cards. It's also a bit harder to dispute with banks (mainly from US) versus credit card companies are much easier to work with. You can even do them online.

I'm dumping all the money I had from savings onto my credit card. Any overages that somehow go past my budget I'll just pay back monthly.

sendit

I can tell you right now they're not putting together a huge blowout for the future of the PS5, only to show the console later in a blog post.

This is where all the eyes will be. They'll show the console.

Why would they blow their load on one event when Microsoft still has more to show?

Starcheif

Could not disagree more with your post! It's a win all the way around for gamers. Most people will not get a launch console for whatever reason. I plan on getting the new systems at launch and with BC I can still play with my friends until they make the leap to next gen. I also like having my library of games available to me on one system instead of keeping up with old systems/games.

Why would they blow their load on one event when Microsoft still has more to show?
They should have bought their studios 5 or 6 years ago.... There will be no xsx specific launch titles, only enhanced xbo games, just like the X--only more, which is even more confusing (you used to get 4K + sometimes 60fps, now you will get 4K + 60/120fps + faster loading times).

Then again, it's very possible that they have a few 2021 titles that they can at least show later this summer. But people will still know that there is nothing specific to the xsx for at least 12 months, so there is no hurries.

Only the hardcore will have a reason to get the xsx for about 1 year.

sobaka770

Banned
Damn it, 6 days of hype is too long! Although the next couple of weeks seem to get better and better judging by the latest announcements!

sendit

They should have bought their studios 5 or 6 years ago.... There will be no xsx specific launch titles, only enhanced xbo games, just like the X--only more, which is even more confusing (you used to get 4K + sometimes 60fps, now you will get 4K + 60/120fps + faster loading times).

Then again, it's very possible that they have a few 2021 titles that they can at least show later this summer. But people will still know that there is nothing specific to the xsx for at least 12 months, so there is no hurries.

Only the hardcore will have a reason to get the xsx for about 1 year.

While I would agree. Normally. Microsoft has been getting their ass handed to them for a whole generation, I think they will have something to show.

Vawn

Banned
There's a reason it's been done this way every single time except in the case of the XSX - and it's because Microsoft is behind.

After the 12 month window, when they finally release their first XSX-only game, that whole "we want every Xbox gamer enjoying every game" PR nonsense is over. It was a brilliant piece of PR, but it's fake nonetheless.

Well, do you make the software to sell the hardware or do you make the hardware to sell the software?

You're going to sell a lot fewer copies of the game if you limit it to the new console with the small playerbase.

But, like you said, you have less insensitive to upgrade if you can play the games on your current console.

As a hardcore, day one adopter, I prefer option A. But it's difficult to say which makes the better business sense. These consoles are going to sell out regardless.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well, do you make the software to sell the hardware or do you make the hardware to sell the software?

You're going to sell a lot fewer copies of the game if you limit it to the new console with the small playerbase.

But, like you said, you have less insensitive to upgrade if you can play the games on your current console.

As a hardcore, day one adopter, I prefer option A. But it's difficult to say which makes the better business sense. These consoles are going to sell out regardless.
Is that really true? Because games at early in the console lifespan has big attach rates.

New consoles never limited the number of copies sold of a game... the opposite most games sells more in the first year due the smaller number of titles available.

Atrach rate like 2:1 is not unusual at launch of new consoles.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned

If Microsoft wasn't behind schedule, there would never even be this idea of "next-gen games" that are playable on current gen too. They're not doing it because it's some novel idea for selling more software or because it's consumer-friendly, they're doing it because they have to.

If they didn't start buying studios so late, they'd be releasing their own XSX-only software at the launch that fully took advantage of the new hardware just like every other console launch in history that ever mattered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom