• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Off to a Stronger Start Than PS4 Says Jim Ryan, “Throwing Money” Won’t Lead to Success

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ps+ is a great service. I won't argue with you on that one. I will be an idiot to do so.

The zombie market isn't bloated. Its the way that is being done, is the problem. Look at last of us 2. 1 was boring gameplay, but had good story. Made it different from other zombie games, but suffered due to its gameplay.

2nd one focused more on the characters, instead of the zombies actually. Which made the series great. You can argue with the characters, but the story, was much better, because of its characters.

Days gone main issue is the characters were boring, but the gameplay wise was fun, opposite of last of us 1. The variety of zombies in days gone were great. But all that greatness, come crushed down, due to the boring main character.

Resident evil on other hand, shows you how to do zombie game (Re6 never existed). Re7 focused more on baker family, and showed you how scary they are.

If you can make your player scared like re7, then you nailed your zombie movie. All that it needs is stop making your characters Goddamn super humans. They are citizens, not class A military. Show their emotions, and how hard it is to live out there with them.

Sony is making new IP's and facing risk constantly, that's what they're doing with Bend's bigger project now. This has nothing to do with game sales not meeting goals. Too much Zombie games already and glad they went for another IP instead. Uncharted 4 was successful and they'll probably not release a new one, probably. TLOU2 is the most awarded game in history, and we might not see TLOU3 anytime soon. The devs of Days Gone have no idea where to go after the first game, so should they do like Fable and keep spinning in one place instead of going for another game instead?

Most of these answers of the future plans might be answered very soon early of July in PSX/Sony's event. So no need to rush to conclusions.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Don't come to me about business when you don't even understand the netflix business model
Says the smart-ass, who can't differentiate gamepass and netflix.

Just as expected, acts smart, turns out to be what you expected.

This was a mistake.
Face Palm GIF

So why hasn’t Sony/jimbo done anything about mlb the show being free on gamepass (their own first party) but they are still charging people on their own console???….they could just as easily put it on ps+

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So why hasn’t Sony/jimbo done anything about mlb the show being free on gamepass (their own first party) but they are still charging people on their own console???….they could just as easily put it on ps+

Because it's the 5th most sold game on Xbox, ahead of all Xbox first party (nearest one being FH4 at 9th). Also MS payed them for GP, even though they didn't greenlight it.

May 2021 NPD: Top 10 best-selling Xbox-platform games in the U.S.​

RankLast Month RankMay 2021 Top 10 Games (Physical and Full Game Digital for publishers in the Digital Leader Panel) ranked on dollar salesPublisher
1NEWResident Evil: VillageCapcom USA
21Call of Duty: Black Ops: Cold WarActivision Blizzard (Corp)
34Mortal Kombat 11Warner Bros. Interactive
45Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)Activision Blizzard (Corp)
52MLB: The Show 21*Sony (Corp)
63It Takes TwoElectronic Arts
77Assassin’s Creed: ValhallaUbisoft
8NEWBiomutant*Nordic Games
99Forza Horizon 4Microsoft (Corp)
1012UFC 4Electronic Arts
* Digital sales not included

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Really feel like Sony are on the right path given the quality of games they've put out in the last 12 months. All this nonsense and shots at Jim/his leadership are without foundation. Sony are consistently putting out quality games and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
You guys have a good sense of humor I give you that. I don’t understand where did you find this info? Sony is dominating the market right now. Why they should adapt other strategy? What are you talking about?
Sony customer base is very very different from MS customers. In Sony you wait for a AAA game that sets the bar in the current generation in both quality and story telling. With Sony you expect GOTY games when their top studios releases a new game. Is it the same with gamepass? No, gamepass customers are different. They seek other things, maybe fun, maybe variety to choose to play different games and that’s also great. Gamepass is a very good place to be but the games there are not setting any high standard in gaming so it’s normal that they don’t price them at 70$.
Every company has it’s own strategy, Sony is doing stunningly well until now so no need to change anything.
I understand you guys cling in to ps4 glory. The roman empire did that, before they become a history. The English empire, and every major empire which had much power at their times.

All those empire, couldn't withstand the changing times. Its something you still don't understand it, even after we repeatedly told you guys.

Sony strategy isn't gonna workout in this gen. Like I said before, there is a wild card this gen, Gamepass. Like you said, Gamepass customers are different. But that is what gaming is all about. Not everyone wants goty games. You can have 100 goty games, and not everyone will buy it.

Sony main issues is trying to up their games. This sets expectations with their fans. We saw how that one turned out for Konami, considering they have 2 of the stronger ip in the gaming industry. Silent Hill, and Metal gear solid. Series which tried to up its previous title, until we ended up with MGT5 and survival. Both Ips are dormant now.

Sony needs different approach. Both of their competition have stepped up their games. Microsoft isn't the old shit anymore. They have Obsidian, and bethesda. Microsoft is backing full on their studio's with resources.

Nintendo is gearing up their 1st party to a whole new level.

3rd party studios are joining the frey too. Hades, unexpected studio managed to make this gem. And went to claim all those goty awards.

Other publishers are now spending alot of money for AAA games. Mocap is getting popular. Graphics are getting more insane. We are seeing new upgraded game engines.

Sony age is coming to an end, with all these changes.

I am not saying this as a fanboy or anything. Gaming is becoming more than a niche market now. Disney is getting back in to the gaming with their movie ips. Other entities are moving in. Each of those have unlimited funding. 3rd party support studios are popping up(mocap, and other that is needed for excellent games).

This is the change I am talking about. We are getting in to unknown age now. And there are bigger beast there.

1 is Cloud gaming. 2nd is VR games. Both are at infant stage. But will dominate, once we have infrastructure everywhere. 3 Mobile market over passed the console reign, in term of profits. This was a device which started in 2008 as touching screen. And now is behemoth on every house, and is equal to small laptop.

Hope this clarifies where I am coming from.

noise36

Now you think that Sony is lucky?

Yes extraordinarily lucky that they are in a business and industry that not only wasnt significantly impacted by COVID , but actually saw an increase in demand because of it. They are certainly not alone, regardless of how good the CEO is running things. Anyway it was only a small point noted in my original post , not looking to debate the idea of luck.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Sony clearly celebrates the inertia of PlayStation as a whole, as do PlayStation fans. As long as corporate interests and fan expectations remain in sync, it should be smooth sailing.

For a company that frowns on "throwing-money", they have a surprising history of doing just that. From the aggressiveness in purchasing third-party exclusivity and marketing rights, to taking those early losses on PS1 to bankrupt Sega, it has never appeared to be a problem for them before.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I understand you guys cling in to ps4 glory. The roman empire did that, before they become a history. The English empire, and every major empire which had much power at their times.

Sony strategy isn't gonna workout in this gen. Like I said before, there is a wild card this gen, Gamepass

Sony main issues is trying to up their games.

Sony needs different approach. Both of their competition have stepped up their games. Microsoft isn't the old shit anymore.

I am not saying this as a fanboy or anything
gfMxu3Y.jpg

Spidey Fan

Banned
Netflix burned $1.5 billion cash on average in the last 5 years

Come back when you're a bit more informed yeah?
And they killed of blockbuster and claimed the throne for streaming service for a long time.

Now we are seeing the effect netflix had, from Disney, Hulu and even Warner Brothers from their HBO service.

All those money spent were worth it for netflix, since they are gonna see a profit from now.

This is a small company, which doesn't even have a trillion dollar company backing it. And only revenue outside of it merchandise, and sub fees.

While gamepass has the subs fees, the dlc sale, the mtx sales, and game sales. Which netflix didn't have.

Now tell me again, if netflix were burning their money.

Spidey Fan

Banned
That is a great chart, except Microsoft are duel hardwares now. Pc/console and cloud in the future. That is more than what is there.

Nintendo and Sony would dominate the hardwares, since those existed for a long time. I will be an idiot, if I say it otherwise.

But as of now, consoles aren't what is dictates. There are other mediums for gaming. And if you can't ride those waves, your console would mean shit.

Aside of Nintendo though. As long as they make handle held consoles. They are good to go.

Airbus Jr

Banned
That is a great chart, except Microsoft are duel hardwares now. Pc/console and cloud in the future. That is more than what is there.

Nintendo and Sony would dominate the hardwares, since those existed for a long time. I will be an idiot, if I say it otherwise.

But as of now, consoles aren't what is dictates. There are other mediums for gaming. And if you can't ride those waves, your console would mean shit.

Aside of Nintendo though. As long as they make handle held consoles. They are good to go.
Youre a masive xbox fanboy tho lets not pretend youre not

Cheers

Last edited:

MikeM

I'm very happy with the games coming out on PS5. I'm playing Spider-Man right now and will be going through RC next. I'll give Returnal a go when I'm done with my backlog. I just recently went through TLOU2 on PS5 and loved it. Sony exclusives are straight fire for my gaming preferences.

I am not a fan of GoW and Horizon going to Ps4, but I also understand that Sony runs a business. If the additional revenue helps generate more IP... then cool.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Not playing any old games and still have too many games to play. Sorry, your old narrative is old and stupid.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I agree with him, but in parts. I'm not sure PC ports couldn't be included in "throwing money" logic, since thats what hes being doing nowadays and it kinda devalues your console(at least if he didn't release the same version for PS5). No wonder Nintendo do that.

Is the ps5 is having a much stronger start, why are they making more games cross gen?

...I just wish God of war wasn't cross gen. Best game on the ps4 for me and I don't want it to be held back by a spindle drive.

It can have a stronger start but maybe the games just don't sell the system like they should due to the limited supply. Also many of these big AAA titles started development a long time ago so it makes since the PS4 version exists.

Unlike someone who doesn't even understand organic growth, and long term profit.

Netflix started from shit company, to a gaint company thnx to this business model.

Uh no, I think understanding a balance sheet is easier than trying to understand theory

The former is literally just numbers, and you failed at that lmao

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Yes extraordinarily lucky that they are in a business and industry that not only wasnt significantly impacted by COVID , but actually saw an increase in demand because of it. They are certainly not alone, regardless of how good the CEO is running things. Anyway it was only a small point noted in my original post , not looking to debate the idea of luck.
Why Microsoft is not doing as well as Sony?

Spidey Fan

Banned
Uh no, I think understanding a balance sheet is easier than trying to understand long term theory
In business languages, you either ride the wave, or you stay down, and let the wave wash you.

You cant expand your business, by balance sheet alone. Long term theory is why Google, Amazon, and Facebook are gaints. And Tesla is joining them soon (despite them being idiots). Or else you can be the old business that went to the history, like how Sony TV is doing now. Its hard for them to compete with Samsung and other smart gaint TVs, because of their hesitant.

In business languages, you either ride the wave, or you stay down, and let the wave wash you.

You cant expand your business, by balance sheet alone. Long term theory is why Google, Amazon, and Facebook are gaints. And Tesla is joining them soon (despite them being idiots). Or else you can be the old business that went to the history, like how Sony TV is doing now. Its hard for them to compete with Samsung and other smart gaint TVs, because of their hesitant.

All i'm saying my man, is that before you go on the internet and spout nonsense and conjecture, just learn a bit about the maths first

Spidey Fan

Banned
They can't do that. That is a business loss for them. And mlb isn't single player game, but more of yearly series. Those lose values quickly, once the new one is out.

kyliethicc

Then why do you throw money to timed exclusives?

Jim salty about Bethesda purchase?

And gamepass too cause it's getting games day 1 that he wanna charge $100 for. Makes him look like a jerk.

Its pretty funny considering how many exclusives sony tried to buy this gen.

The throwing money quote is in the context about 1st party developers. The headline here is misleading.

"Nurturing creative talent is not as simple as throwing money at it. You must also give them the freedom to be creative, to take risks, and to come up with new ideas. Look at Ghost of Tsushima from Sucker Punch. This is not the game we thought they were going to make, but we are not overly rigid or corporate with our talent."

xTagepE.jpg

Last edited:

noise36

Why Microsoft is not doing as well as Sony?

Who said they aren't? Business is booming, in part due to COVID like I said.

Microsoft's profits jump by 33 percent thanks to the cloud, PCs and Xbox​

You seem to have the knack of completely missing the point so I won't continue this discussion.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned

Sony strategy isn't gonna workout in this gen. Like I said before, there is a wild card this gen, Gamepass

Sony main issues is trying to up their games.

Sony needs different approach. Both of their competition have stepped up their games. Microsoft isn't the old shit anymore.

I am not saying this as a fanboy or anything
y2141EH.jpg

tenor.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Those studios aren't first-party. But the games they release for PS5 are first-party games. That's the difference you are overlooking.

Returnal, Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn are all first-party games. The risk and reward is all on Sony. The IPs are also owned by Sony.
Ok fine. But context is key here. Did Sony not throw money at these third party studios to fill in the gaps left by their first party output? Of course they did. He's talking about nurturing first party studios and at the same time throwing money at third party studios like bluepoint, housemrque, arcane, two square enix studios and tango gameworks.

So he's clearly just saying shit just to say shit because he also goes out there and tries to moneyhat exclusives. That money could have gone into giving ND, SSM and GG enough resources to make their games faster while making new games in parallel. That's nurturing. Throwing money at third party games just to keep them off your competition's platform isn't nurturing.

If Bluepoint, kojipro and housemarque go on to make third party games like From Software did after Bloodborne, like ready at Dawn after two psp gows and the order, like qd after heavy rain, beyond and Detroit then Sony would've nurtured them into the hands of big third party publishers or even Microsoft. Nah id rather Sony invest in the studios they own.

Edit: as for this 25 first party games in development bit. That does show them investing in first party. But I'd like to see at least half of these games in action. So far we have only seen three. Horizon, gt7 and gow. If they want me to get excited over this stuff then need to show them off this summer. Look at how Nintendo keeps saying metroid prime has been in development. It's literally been four e3s of this nonsense. Same goes for bayinetta. Ms showed 7 cg trailers last year. None of those games were at their conference this year. Look at how none of us were excited by their conference. Because just the promise of games isn't enough. You have to show them and Sony needs to have a packed first party show this summer. Just gow, gt7, horizon, ff16, silent hill isn't enough. Let's see at least a couple more of those 25 first party games.

Last edited:
I don't understand how Rest mode is broken for some? I've never had an issue, at all. Is it related to the game that is being played? Could it be the manufacturing process is introducing gremlins into the hardware of some models?

Wait, wait, wait ... your drive was randomly spinning up during Rest?!!! Oh my lord!

Seriously, the hourly disc spins is the only thing I want them eliminate. Yes, I know they've diminished it and the disc spins slower, but there's really no need for it to spin at all, after the initial start-up check is performed. Also, spinning when playing an unrelated game or watching Netflix is frankly baffling.

It’s well known that rest mode is not reliable and has issues.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ok fine. But context is key here. Did Sony not throw money at these third party studios to fill in the gaps left by their first party output? Of course they did. He's talking about nurturing first party studios and at the same time throwing money at third party studios like bluepoint, housemrque, arcane, two square enix studios and tango gameworks.

So he's clearly just saying shit just to say shit because he also goes out there and tries to moneyhat exclusives. That money could have gone into giving ND, SSM and GG enough resources to make their games faster while making new games in parallel. That's nurturing. Throwing money at third party games just to keep them off your competition's platform isn't nurturing.

If Bluepoint, kojipro and housemarque go on to make third party games like From Software did after Bloodborne, like ready at Dawn after two psp gows and the order, like qd after heavy rain, beyond and Detroit then that's Sony would've nurtured them into the hands of big third party publishers or even Microsoft. Nah id rather Sony invest in the studios they own.
Not exactly. Before I answer that, I want to point out that you are again confusing two different things:

1. Tango, Arkane, Square Enix etc. are different than HouseMarque and Bluepoint. Those games aren't being developed by Sony; those are not first-party games. Those are just timed-exclusive games without Sony's development or managerial input (for the most part).

2 HouseMarque, BluePoint, and (as once was) Insomniac are completely different than Tango, Arkane, and SquareEnix. Those studios have been nurtured by PlayStation for many many years. Sony gives them access to their secret resources, their producers, their QA processes, their first-party developers, etc. For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica are all credited. They all helped. It's a very different scenario.

And no, Sony didn't throw money at those studios. They hired them to develop games for them. Then they provided them with tons of resources and access to their first-party developers. That's nurturing. Once those studios mature, Sony acquires them, e.g., Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, Insomniac, etc. Sony is developing these studios and helping them grow. Same goes with Haven Studios, Firewalk, and Deviation.

If Sony acquires them years later, it would be unfair to say that Sony just threw money and acquired a random developer. They are helping these studios from the beginning.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned

You seem to have the knack of completely missing the point so I won't continue this discussion.
I ask you the performance between two companies and you say that business is booming in Microsoft…..

Have a nice day.

Top Bottom