• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Off to a Stronger Start Than PS4 Says Jim Ryan, “Throwing Money” Won’t Lead to Success

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony 1st party PS5 new releases so far:

Astro's Playroom
Spiderman MM
Demon's Souls
Returnal
Sackboy
Destruction Allstars
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

MS 1st party Xbox Series new releases so far:

Empty GIF by memecandy

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What have the competition released so far?
I really don't understand this logic. Who cares what the competition has done. We are talking about their first party output for the rest of the year. Big AAA games they are known for and why people paid $500 to buy their console. All three games they revealed as 2021 game are gonna be delayed to 2022. Gt7, gow are already confirmed and they themselves said horizon isn't a certainty.

Last year, tlou2 and got were two of my favorite titles. They weren't my favorite because their competition had nothing. They were my favorite because they were great games. I don't understand you sometimes.

Games get delayed. Covid19 is a thing. I get that. But if i were to give them a pass for GT7, horizon and gow 2 missing 2021 due to covid19 then i must ask them what they had planned for 2022. Because rught now 6 months from 2022 and we have no idea what's coming after these 2021 games that were pushed back.

Let's hope the silent hills and mgs remake rumors are true because i don't see any first party titles on the horizon after the big three ship next year.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Nope. That's not first party. They literally threw money at third party developers, devs for hire, to make games for them. They threw money at insmoniac when they hired them to make ratchet and Spiderman, and again when they acquired them last year.

Their nurturing has led to a lot of success but they need to show what's coming next. A lot of their studios released just one game last gen and if that trend holds this gen, all the nurturing in the world isn't going to mean anything.

Maybe less time nurturing media molecule and more resources to help them make games faster.

I am going to believe the bit about 25 games when i see it. They weren't at e3 but they should be holding a conference son so we will see what his word is worth.

Holy hell man, that is first party.

They've been working with Insomniac for decades. This idea they "threw money at them" is ridiculous. It has been the very definition of "nurturing" a studio. And who is making games "faster" than the Sony's studios and the ones they work with? Who? Name one. What more do you want from one company when they have been leading the pack for so long?

So we've seen 25 years of Sony domination in the industry (for better or worse, again they have never been my favorite games company at all, but I DO like to deal in reality so you have to call things as they are) and you think they are lying about the games they have in development? You think they don't know what they are doing? So who do you believe then?

I don't mind debating things on message boards but having a massive contingent of people seemingly live in their own little reality is mind numbing. People denying the reality of what first party is, saying Sony doesn't have games coming when they are the only ones who have released anything this gen, and that same group of people acting like those games just don't exist now. How is there any basis or groundwork for discussion?

Like I said, I don't care who your favorite is. My all time favorite has always been Nintendo. I liked the Xbox more than the Gamecube and PS2 (I liked some PS2 games but did not like the PS2 itself at all). I liked the 360 more than the PS3 (team Wii60!). I liked the PS4 the most this past gen by default because wtf were MS and Nintendo even doing ...

And so far the PS5 has been tremendous.

Because I like games. I've been doing this far too long to care a rat's butt about platforms. That stuff is literally for children who have to pay for their consoles with their allowances and birthday money. I keep trying to make this point to the Xbox-only people that are going around saying things that are demonstrably not true because, you know ... numbers.

I dunno. I love this board, and all of the people on it (even the ones who I know dislike me because of my opinions, they enjoy games and that is awesome), but it sure is confounding sometimes.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Holy hell man, that is first party.

They've been working with Insomniac for decades. This idea they "threw money at them" is ridiculous. And who is making games "faster" than the Sony's studios and the ones they work with? Who? Name one. What more do you want from one company when they have been leading the pack for so long?

So we've seen 25 years of Sony domination in the industry (for better or worse, again they have never been my favorite games company at all, but I DO like to deal in reality so you have to call things as they are) and you think they are lying about the games they have in development? You think they don't know what they are doing? So who do you believe then?

I don't mind debating things on message boards but having a massive contingent of people seemingly live in their own little reality is mind numbing. People denying the reality of what first party is, saying Sony doesn't have games coming when they are the only ones who have released anything this gen, and that same group of people acting like those games just don't exist now. How is there any basis or groundwork for discussion?

Like I said, I don't care who your favorite is. My all time favorite has always been Nintendo. I liked the Xbox more than the Gamecube and PS2 (I liked some PS2 games but did not like the PS2 itself at all). I liked the 360 more than the PS3 (team Wii60!). I liked the PS4 the most this past gen by default because wtf were MS and Nintendo even doing ...

And so far the PS5 has been tremendous.

Because I like games. I've been doing this far too long to care a rat's butt about platforms. That stuff is literally for children who have to pay for their consoles with their allowances and birthday money. I keep trying to make this point to the Xbox-only people that are going around saying things that are demonstrably not true because, you know ... numbers.

I dunno. I love this board, and all of the people on it (even the ones who I know dislike me because of my opinions, they enjoy games and that is awesome), but it sure is confounding sometimes.

Respectfully, There is really no point discussing this if you believe bluepoint, housemarque and by extension, from software (bloodborne) , ready at Dawn (the order) , supermassive (until dawn) , quantic dream (detroit) are first party. It's a non-starter. So let's cut our losses and move on before this gets ugly. If insmoniac and bluepoint were first party they wouldn't have made sunset overdrive and titanfall for Microsoft.

I have many reasons to suspect that Sony is lying given their recent history, but i never said they were lying about that. I'm taking a wait and see approach. They have a conference coming up, let's see what they got.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Sorry some can't see the(GREEN)grass from the trees.
I think its because, they kept playing video games all night, instead of getting actual sleep. Cant blame though, spiderman is just that good.
Video Games Reaction GIF

And as for our topic. You only counting the sub fees.
I will give you a homework, since I am nice today.
Q: What is something that gamepass has, netflix doesn't have? What are the things gamepass games need for complete experience? And lastly, what do people who enjoy playing gamepass games do, if they like the game?

If you can answer these questions, you will understand how much profit are there on gamepass.

Now shush. I need to play some more spiderman.
spiderman GIF

kyoji

3 games with every month from July to December having a major release or two each month adding the number to 12 or over.

So again let's stop dodging here, outside Horizon what major releases does Jim Ryan have coming out in 2021?
i like how you are referencing mostly multiplatform games and also ignoring 9 months prior, i said it before ill say it again the people will vote with there wallets, smoke screens only last for so long

Blond

Banned
Jim salty about Bethesda purchase?

And gamepass too cause it's getting games day 1 that he wanna charge $100 for. Makes him look like a jerk.
I just think it’s funny that the internet spent the entirety of last gen shitting on Bethesda whom now is suddenly a gem in Xbox owners eyes because they can finally say they have something other Gears, Forza and Halo. Bethesda spent every year after Skyrim working on disappointment after disappointment, their only saving graces were ID and Tango. And even missing out on ID and Tango aren’t enough for me to want to buy back into the DRM Series X.

Last edited:
Seems like you're transparent like those imaginary games then. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
Yep those imaginary games sitting on those store shelves. I guess the shelf is also imaginary.

So nothing lol
3 games compared to 4-5 major Sony releases, oh no the gap is so huge. Cpr.

i like how you are referencing mostly multiplatform games and also ignoring 9 months prior, i said it before ill say it again the people will vote with there wallets, smoke screens only last for so long
Wtf are you talking about? There have been 3 major Xbox series releases against what 5 PS5 ones with nothing for the rest of the year. What multiplats.

Yes people did vote with their wallets, last I checked you cant find XSX anywhere and MS just cleared the recent large shipment. You know, like the PS5.

Yep those imaginary games sitting on those store shelves. I guess the shelf is also imaginary.

Wtf are you talking about? There have been 3 major Xbox series releases against what 5 PS5 ones with nothing for the rest of the year. What multiplats.

Yes people did vote with their wallets, last I checked you cant find XSX anywhere and MS just cleared the recent large shipment. You know, like the PS5.

You were asked what they've released so far

Basically nothing lol

I really don't understand this logic. Who cares what the competition has done. We are talking about their first party output for the rest of the year. Big AAA games they are known for and why people paid $500 to buy their console. All three games they revealed as 2021 game are gonna be delayed to 2022. Gt7, gow are already confirmed and they themselves said horizon isn't a certainty.

Last year, tlou2 and got were two of my favorite titles. They weren't my favorite because their competition had nothing. They were my favorite because they were great games. I don't understand you sometimes.

Games get delayed. Covid19 is a thing. I get that. But if i were to give them a pass for GT7, horizon and gow 2 missing 2021 due to covid19 then i must ask them what they had planned for 2022. Because rught now 6 months from 2022 and we have no idea what's coming after these 2021 games that were pushed back.

Let's hope the silent hills and mgs remake rumors are true because i don't see any first party titles on the horizon after the big three ship next year.
Sony will talk about what’s next when they’re ready. Kena is coming in August so at least there’s that. Not 1st party but shaping up for 2nd party.

I dont want Sony to pull a MSFT and announce a bunch of games that wont come out for another couple years. Just show us shit when you’re ready

kyoji

feel free to enlighten us on these major releases, what are they?

Respectfully, There is really no point discussing this if you believe bluepoint, housemarque and by extension, from software (bloodborne) , ready at Dawn (the order) , supermassive (until dawn) , quantic dream (detroit) are first party. It's a non-starter. So let's cut our losses and move on before this gets ugly. If insmoniac and bluepoint were first party they wouldn't have made sunset overdrive and titanfall for Microsoft.

I have many reasons to suspect that Sony is lying given their recent history, but i never said they were lying about that. I'm taking a wait and see approach. They have a conference coming up, let's see what they got.
I mean Insomniac is 1st party now but the only reason Sunset Overdrive was on Xbox was because Sony wanted to own the IP. Quantic Dream and Housemarque are 2nd party studios.

Which is an important conversation because off the top of my head I can’t recall Microsoft having 2nd party studios under their wing?

Spidey Fan

Banned
I just think it’s funny that the internet spent the entirety of last gen shitting on Bethesda whom now is suddenly a gem in Xbox owners eyes because they can finally say they have something other Gears, Forza and Halo. Bethesda spent every year after Skyrim working on disappointment after disappointment, their only saving graces were ID and Tango. And even missing out on ID and Tango aren’t enough for me to want to buy back into the DRM Series X.
Your quote is too funny, that Sony went and tried to secure starfield as exclusive, and event went as far as to do exclusive for Deathloop and ghost wire tokyo.

Fo4 was good, not as great as fo3. Fo76 is still getting updated, and alot of people playing. For a product you call it a failure, people still play it.

Just 1 month ago, you guys were screaming about starfield, and now that you know its xbox exclusive, you scream about how bad bethesda is. Man you guys are funny.

As a pc guy, Playstation fans doesn't see the beauty of bethesda games. Always scream about their cinematic, less gameplay games. Bethesda is great for us, because we don't need cinematic for our games. We have freedom to do whatever we want, on our games. We aren't closed ecosystem, where you are denied of moding.

I will wait for starfield to drop on pc, so I can have my character as batman. You guys won't be able to enjoy it, since in your point of view, bethesda sucks.
Angry White Woman GIF

Fk it. Now I have to fking stoop at your shit level 😠.

its called a metaphor, maybe you can google what it means then get back to me. If that confuses you, let me put it this way instead. Enjoy your cabletv 15 dollars a month and ill enjoy my 70 dollar events. Win Win

No, you realized you made a horrible parallel when I pointed out (in so many words) that a buffet is 1 meal that feeds you for 1 day (which is not how Gamepass works if it were a buffet)..and now you're comparing cable tv to 70 dollar..."events"?

Pro Tip: it won't make you less of a man to admit Gamepass is a fantastic value.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Thus far, I have had Miles Morales and currently Ratchet. For Xbox, I have had Gears Tactics and will have Halo Infinite at the end of the year. Basically for me, it will be tied at 2 once this year ends. Also, when Microsoft's first party studios get going later this year, it's going to be a slaughter in favor of Microsoft. Personally, im expecting 3 to 1 ratio in favor of Xbox. Excluding the games listed above, I have 10 Microsoft published games already on my list that will be played day one while on the Sony side, I only have 2 (Horizon 2 and GOWR) thus far. PlayStation 5 is doing great which was expected but game wise for me personally, im happy I switched to Xbox as my primary gaming console because as of now, it's going to be a slaughter in favor of Xbox, at least for me anyway.

Blond

Banned
Your quote is too funny, that Sony went and tried to secure starfield as exclusive, and event went as far as to do exclusive for Deathloop and ghost wire tokyo.

Fo4 was good, not as great as fo3. Fo76 is still getting updated, and alot of people playing. For a product you call it a failure, people still play it.

Just 1 month ago, you guys were screaming about starfield, and now that you know its xbox exclusive, you scream about how bad bethesda is. Man you guys are funny.

As a pc guy, Playstation fans doesn't see the beauty of bethesda games. Always scream about their cinematic, less gameplay games. Bethesda is great for us, because we don't need cinematic for our games. We have freedom to do whatever we want, on our games. We aren't closed ecosystem, where you are denied of moding.

I will wait for starfield to drop on pc, so I can have my character as batman. You guys won't be able to enjoy it, since in your point of view, bethesda sucks.
Angry White Woman GIF

Fk it. Now I have to fking stoop at your shit level 😠.
I haven’t liked a Bethesda game in years.

Fallout 4 I gave up almost immediately when out of nowhere there was a fetch quest to force you into the Minecraft nonsense just to finish the game

76 I played for 4-5 hours then quit because it just felt like all the worst parts of 4.

Skyrim was fun, I’ll give you that.

I wouldn’t have played Starfield or any future Bethesda developed games because the vaneer has worn off, they just aren’t enjoyable anymore. Also, I played FO4 and Skyrim on PC (want my steam name?), till gpus suddenly started becoming the price of entire consoles for an entry level GPU reaching 4-500 dollars I was heavy into PC gaming till late 2018 when I just stopped caring because it was a hassle and my entire job is working with Windows computers when I prefer a Unix or Mac Environment.

Enjoy 1200 dollars for an entry level gaming PC because I’m sure as hell not. Also, I got 6 hours into Ghost of Tsushima and quit so let’s not act like I’m all over every single Sony exclusive

Last edited:
I'm not even sure how much Jim Ryan has needed to do so far.
It's crazy that out of the top five selling home consoles of all time that the first four PlayStations have four of the five spots with the other home console being the Wii which is an unusual beast all round.
The only one that hasn't sold over 100 million consoles is the PlayStation 3 and the 60GB version launched at $599.99 which with inflation would be over $800 today and they still managed to sell almost 90 million of them in competition with what have been both Nintendo's (Wii) and Microsoft's (Xbox 360) best selling consoles by a long way. It was almost like they went out of their way to not do well and failed at it.
The PlayStation 4 is the second highest selling home console ever after the PlayStation 2 and the PlayStation 5 is outselling the PlayStation 4 and people are constantly complaining that they're trying to buy them but can't because Sony can't make them fast enough.
Jim Ryan, you have nothing to do and I want your job!!!

Thus far, I have had Miles Morales and currently Ratchet. For Xbox, I have had Gears Tactics and will have Halo Infinite at the end of the year. Basically for me, it will be tied at 2 once this year ends. Also, when Microsoft's first party studios get going later this year, it's going to be a slaughter in favor of Microsoft. Personally, im expecting 3 to 1 ratio in favor of Xbox. Excluding the games listed above, I have 10 Microsoft published games already on my list that will be played day one while on the Sony side, I only have 2 (Horizon 2 and GOWR) thus far. PlayStation 5 is doing great which was expected but game wise for me personally, im happy I switched to Xbox as my primary gaming console because as of now, it's going to be a slaughter in favor of Xbox, at least for me anyway.
What games are you most excited for this year from MSFT?

Spidey Fan

Banned
I haven’t liked a Bethesda game in years.

Fallout 4 I gave up almost immediately when out of nowhere there was a fetch quest to force you into the Minecraft nonsense just to finish the game

76 I played for 4-5 hours then quit because it just felt like all the worst parts of 4.

Skyrim was fun, I’ll give you that.

I wouldn’t have played Starfield or any future Bethesda developed games because the vaneer has worn off, they just aren’t enjoyable anymore. Also, I played FO4 and Skyrim on PC (want my steam name?), till gpus suddenly started becoming the price of entire consoles for an entry level GPU reaching 4-500 dollars I was heavy into PC gaming till late 2018 when I just stopped caring because it was a hassle and my entire job is working with Windows computers when I prefer a Unix or Mac Environment.

Enjoy 1200 dollars for an entry level gaming PC because I’m sure as hell not. Also, I got 6 hours into Ghost of Tsushima and quit so let’s not act like I’m all over every single Sony exclusive
Meh, my pc is ps5 price. And only idiots spend that much money to get pc at that price.

You don't like bethesda games, because they aren't your taste. I don't like halo. But that doesn't mean halo is bad. Same for ff7. I only played for 2 hour. Its on my library. I can play it now, but I won't touch it. Same for re2 remake, monster hunter world. They aren't garbage games. They aren't for me.

As for pc, its your fault for trying those top notch gpu. I mean, 1060 is still works fine. I dont see the issue why you need 3090. Unless you are super rich, or are in to graphic 4ks or whatever its, normal gpu is fine. My setup is amd ryzen 3100, Radeon rx570. Cheap setup. The entire computer costed me 500. I can upgrade it. But I have no use for it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
What games are you most excited for this year from MSFT?

Halo Infinite (campaign). I may also play the campaign for Forza Horizon 5 but this is a wait and see.

In general though, it's more about the entire roadmap of games which as of now is at 12 including Halo Infinite but excluding Forza Horizon 5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is the ps5 is having a much stronger start, why are they making more games cross gen?

...I just wish God of war wasn't cross gen. Best game on the ps4 for me and I don't want it to be held back by a spindle drive.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Did you even read?

Nurturing creative talent is not as simple as throwing money at it. You also must give them the freedom to be creative, to take risks and come up with new ideas.

His comment was very specific.
The guys company literally money hated games for the entire generation of ps4. Don't speak with that crap of nurture. Because, ps4 wouldn't have become as it's now, without all those money hats.

You can scream about how great 1st party games are. Buy you cant deny, that they money hated games, to boost their ps4. Put policies against other competitors such as the cross play royal pay.

If their opponent weren't dump about tv tv, I doubt they would've been where they are. Cod would have been xbox home. And alot of games would have went to xbox.

They got 1 chance to be a head of it, and now they get to brag about it.

I got something to tell you Jim. Cocky people always loose. You can brag all you want. This first 2 years of this gen would be yours. But once your opponent starts putting their games day1, and see your customers fly of your services, you will see your words you said today.

All I can say is, today is yours to enjoy. But not next time. Gamepass would be your downfall, if you don't act fast. Because 70$ is what would hinder your ps4 glory.

And the fanboys who try to defend this, don't try it. Gamepass is the future. And you know it from your heart. You can brag the services you are getting right now. But once those games start rolling, you will see day1 until the end of generation. Xbox and pc players will enjoy their time then. Until then, good luck with your exclusives.

I HAVE PS4, AND PS5 DIGITAL AT HOME. I DONT OWN XSX/S, BUT I PLAY X1S MORE THAN PS4 thnx to gamepass.

Last edited:
PS5 has definitely had a better launch period in terms of games than PS4, and the first 18 months also look amazing with the upcoming Horizon, GOW, and GT. I think a lot of people forget the long games drought that Sony had after their initial six month PS4 launch window was over.

His second statement is a little bit funny though. While true that you cannot just solve creativity with money, they really need to expand their studios. Since only insomniac seems to be able to churn out games in less than 4-5 year cycles they are going to run into a problem of not many first party games in 2022-2024. Have a look at their teams and when we should be expecting the next game in the cycle:

Bend Studios
Last release: Days Gone - 2019
Next release: new IP 2024-25?

Guerrilla Games
Next release: Horizon Forbidden West 2021
Release after: unknown 2025

Insomniac Games
Last release: Ratchet & Clank 2021
Release after: unknown, but probably 2022 knowing Insomniac. These guys are amazingly prolific

Media Molecule
Last release: Dreams 2020
Release after: unknown 2024-25?

Naughty Dog
Last release: The Last of Us 2 - 2020
Release after: TLOU 2 Remaster? 2022? 2023? Then after that it is completely unknown. If new IP I expect 2024

Polyphony
Next release: Gran Turismo 7 2022
Release after: GT title 2027

San Diego Studio
Do I need to do this one? They will pump out MLB every year :)

Santa Monica Studio
Next release: GOW Ragnarok 2022
Release after: unknown, probably another GOW 2026

Sucker Punch
Last release: Ghost of Tsushima 2020
Release after: unknown 2025

Team Asobi
Last release: Astro's Playroom 2020
Release after: Probably Astro VR game? 2022-23

Let's look at the count here. Sony had a great 2020 with TLOU2, Dreams, Astro's Playroom, Miles Morales, and Ghost of Tsushima. 2021 looks like Ratchet and Horizon. 2022 has GOW:Ragnarok and GT, and maybe TLOU2 Remastered. Looking at 2023 though it is apparent that Sony is going to have to be "throwing money at it" by either money hatting or do co-development with studios in order to fill the year with some games. As gaming gets bigger, and games take longer to develop, they need more studios or at least more teams inside their studios.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The guys company literally money hated games for the entire generation of ps4. Don't speak with that crap of nurture. Because, ps4 wouldn't have become as it's now, without all those money hats.

You can scream about how great 1st party games are. Buy you cant deny, that they money hated games, to boost their ps4. Put policies against other competitors such as the cross play royal pay.

If their opponent weren't dump about tv tv, I doubt they would've been where they are. Cod would have been xbox home. And alot of games would have went to xbox.

They got 1 chance to be a head of it, and now they get to brag about it.

I got something to tell you Jim. Cocky people always loose. You can brag all you want. This first 2 years of this gen would be yours. But once your opponent starts putting their games day1, and see your customers fly of your services, you will see your words you said today.

All I can say is, today is yours to enjoy. But not next time. Gamepass would be your downfall, if you don't act fast. Because 70$ is what would hinder your ps4 glory.

And the fanboys who try to defend this, don't try it. Gamepass is the future. And you know it from your heart. You can brag the services you are getting right now. But once those games start rolling, you will see day1 until the end of generation. Xbox and pc players will enjoy their time then. Until then, good luck with your exclusives.

I HAVE PS4, AND PS5 DIGITAL AT HOME. I DONT OWN XSX/S, BUT I PLAY X1S MORE THAN PS4 thnx to gamepass.

Did he say he didn't? How about read again what exactly did he say?

Missing OS features, vague mentions of feature updates already available elsewhere, refusal to confirm minimum hardware specs.

As far as I'm concerned, they aren't doing any better then the PS4 launch, where everything was crystal clear.

"Throwing money won't lead to success", yet MS still has to honour two of their moneyhats after a publisher acquisition, for one example...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So outside the pending Horizon which may or may not be delayed, what else does Jim Ryan have for PS5 in 2021 for major releases?
So far, without seeing their event for this year:
  • Kena
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Deathloop
  • Solar Ash
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Abandoned
So, 6 exclusives, in addition to other multiplatform games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Far Cry 6, etc.

Top Bottom