• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Major September System Update

graywolf323

Gold Member
How do you know they installed to internal? Generally dlc and patches are attached at the hip to the game.
when I view the game content while viewing the M2 storage it shows the two big ones that I only just downloaded as being "in console storage" instead but they don't actually show up anywhere when viewing the internal console storage 🤷‍♂️

edit: so I tried deleting them while viewing the storage but it wouldn't let me delete an item in another storage space, except they don't show up in the console storage... so I had to go to the installed games back on the home screen & uninstall the two DLCs from managing game content there, then change the default install location to the M2, queue up the two DLC downloads again, then change the default back to internal console storage since I don't want games installing to the M2 by default :messenger_squinting_tongue:

way too overly convoluted right now and I'm surprised this wasn't caught during the beta

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Like 99.99% of the players I don't care about VRR or 1440p because I don't have any display that uses them and don't plan to buy one in the near future.
So if you ask my personal opinion, I'd keep them in the bottom of the priority task list and would prioritize instead stuff more people will enjoy like folders or 3D audio support.

But since all 4 PS5 players who care about VRR and 1440p on PS5 are here in Neogaf always complaining about it, I'd like to see Sony implementing them to move to other topics.

As I remember PS5 already supports 8K, but maybe there's no content for it. Regarding games, I assume it could take too much effort for the console because many games already have issues to get solid 60fps when upscaling to 4K, so don't expect 8K in games.
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

graywolf323

Gold Member
So the now the main remaining features now are:
-VRR support
-1440p support
-3D audio support for soundbars and 5.1/7.1
-To add folders
-To fix the clock

-To improve stability
the three I want most, VRR would be up there but I don't have a TV that supports it yet and probably won't get one until next year at the soonest (my KS8000 is still going strong 5 years in and I can't justify the expense of a new TV right now)

Shaukdotdj

Some of these are just bizarre how they slipped QA. Seriously, A versions lapel and separate versions download and the ability to disband a Party without having to remove players individually?

I get releasing things early and improve on them but the above are simple logic functions they should have in the beginning. Funny how now they call those missing functions “features”.
Because they start over from scratch. It's not "missing" if it was never there.
It's not a revamp or adaptation of the ps4 o/s. It was built from the ground up in this case.

Elios83

As I remember PS5 already supports 8K, but maybe there's no content for it.

Afaik there's still no support for 8k output resolution on PS5.
So basically if you own a 8K TV you have to set 4k as the PS5 output resolution and let the TV do the upscaling.
While I don't expect it to be used for videogames (it's clear these consoles are already struggling with 4K) having native 8K output for video contents is definetly something that 8K TV owners would like to have in the future.
Obviously right now is a minority but so is the group asking for VRR. It's just that in places like this they're vocal and are disproportionately represented.

Shmunter

when I view the game content while viewing the M2 storage it shows the two big ones that I only just downloaded as being "in console storage" instead but they don't actually show up anywhere when viewing the internal console storage 🤷‍♂️

edit: so I tried deleting them while viewing the storage but it wouldn't let me delete an item in another storage space, except they don't show up in the console storage... so I had to go to the installed games back on the home screen & uninstall the two DLCs from managing game content there, then change the default install location to the M2, queue up the two DLC downloads again, then change the default back to internal console storage since I don't want games installing to the M2 by default :messenger_squinting_tongue:

way too overly convoluted right now and I'm surprised this wasn't caught during the beta
Interesting, will keep an eye out for it

wvnative

It's an overall improvement and they keep heading in the right direction but god they really need to address the more minor stuff

1: Still can't disable "scene blocked for video recording" pop ups

2: Still no quick menu access for custom button assignments

3: For those who recall my share play thread, haven't tested it yet, but would it kill them to put a bandwidth test in the party menu like PS4 has?

Esppiral

Like 99.99% of the players I don't care about VRR or 1440p because I don't have any display that uses them and don't plan to buy one in the near future.
So if you ask my personal opinion, I'd keep them in the bottom of the priority task list and would prioritize instead stuff more people will enjoy like folders, themes or 3D audio support.

But since all 4 PS5 players who care about VRR and 1440p on PS5 are here in Neogaf always complaining about it, I'd like to see Sony implementing them to move to other topics.

As I remember PS5 already supports 8K, but maybe there's no content for it.

Regarding games, I assume it could take too much effort for the console because many games already have issues to get solid 60fps when upscaling to 4K, so don't expect 8K in games.

And well, I assume 8K tvs may already have stuff to upscale themselves to 8K. But yes, it would be nice to have it in Sony's side. I support the themes stuff.

I think there's no point for them to implement it. I think eventually all future tvs will support VRR so it makes sense for them to implement it, but I think 1440p will never be an important resolution display for consoles so it's hard to see them implement it.
So because you don't have a VRR compatible set, we must just be ignored? Nice way of thinking....

bargeparty

-VRR support
-1440p support
-To add folders
-To add themes
-To fix the clock
-To improve stability

What's wrong with the clock? You guys look at the clock?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What's wrong with the clock? You guys look at the clock?
It's a PS3 reference 😉

Anyway I tested the 3D audio and.....you I wasn't expecting it to as good as my surround system.
But going from my the default sound from TV speakers to the 3D audio was like switching to surround to stereo.
The ambient music that plays on the PS5 dashboard surrounding hum to dead centre of the screen.
That can't be right
So I tried a game and still everything was like it centred in the middle

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
still can't filter out the whole library trophy list and still no hide camera option while streaming. Not much there for me so far

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anyone have issues updating their PS4? A thread on Reddit, half the users are having major issues. I'm afraid to update mine.

kyliethicc

-VRR support
These will come. They've said so. And 8K output.

-1440p support
Never gonna happen. For several reasons.

-To add folders
Maybe, probably not.

-To add themes
Doubt it would even be possible. Sony are done selling themes. Themes are dead as a product.

-To fix the clock
-To improve stability
lol

Esppiral

Updating now, I want to see how the 3D audio works on BT headphones when paired over to my BraviaTV since I have no intention of buing official sony headphones.

LordOfChaos

I'm just going to put this here as the latest update reminded me

I got the update, restarted, got a controller update, did that.

Just on a hunch I went and checked the "feature update" tab, and yep, there was another update and restart there.

What exactly is the difference between the OS updates and feature updates, why are they separated, and why do you sometimes have to do both?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Is there a way to see all previous downloaded and uploaded content like on the ps4?

Trunim

Soo. TV speaker is like the worst you can have in terms of audio. How do you even notice the 3D in there? Anyone tried it out?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Turning on and off the "use measurements for 3D audio" setting, I can definitely hear a difference even just on the menu. It sounds clearer, like it adjusted the highs, I wonder if it's also doing EQ to balance your sound system, or if this is just from measuring the position of where you sit

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Just installed my SSD expansion. Took less than 5 minutes and had no issues. I honestly don't understand why people think it's so difficult to do.
Agreed. Was a bit wary of pushing and sliding earlier (that’s what the GF always says too) but was a piece of piss in the end.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
-VRR support
-1440p support
-To add folders
-To add themes
-To fix the clock
-To improve stability
Vrr ehhhh whatever. Good to have. I don't see much use besides issues.
3d for sound bar. Don't see why it shouldn't work

LordOfChaos

Just installed my SSD expansion. Took less than 5 minutes and had no issues. I honestly don't understand why people think it's so difficult to do.

Not really any different from changing the hard drive on the PS4 or PS3. People like to assume everyone outside of themselves are dumb lol

If it's reallly that hard for someone, they can just use external storage to keep PS4 games on it, and transfer PS5 games to it for faster locals storage vs redownloading

Nvzman

Why it’s a great feature that keeps me from buying 3rd party games on PlayStation
I'm going to be honest after playing RE8 on Xbox One X where in 4k mode it would constantly go from 60 to 40/50fps with VRR enabled, it's honestly overrated af. It's extremely nice to have, but the effect is not that big of a deal lol, it makes such a minor difference and only makes a game look kind of less choppy. I'd say at high FPS ranges it's nice but tbh unless games are dipping into the 90s/80s at 120+fps you barely notice it's dropping fps even without VRR.

sainraja

I hope they improved the UX/UI of the OS because PS4 version of the OS is so much better. They really ruined the friends list and party system with the PS5. Even notifications and messaging, introducing all the extra steps. This has been the biggest complaint I have with my PS5.
I think some of what you are feeling has to do with the OS being new. That doesn't mean the OS does not need improvements — it does, there are many they can still make. I think most of the newness will wear off and you will either adjust or find it (hopefully) to be better. They mentioned some improvements to the friends list area under Game Base. Anyway, I hear you. I think some of it will go away though.

Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom