• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 LOAD TIMES - was the hype real?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
First party PS5 games, its amazing.

Terraria, amazing, lol.

3rd party PS5 games, amazing to so so.

First party, exclusive, 3d party PS4 games - great to so so.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Yeah the hype is very real, demon's souls is out of this world with it. Instant respawn on death

I was playing valhalla on pc yesterday and when I died and saw a loading screen for about 10-15 seconds, it was driving me insane. It's already spoiling me

Last edited:

Calverz

Sniff sniff

What's this??? Someone is enjoying a SONY product?!?! Better get my club and crawl out of my cave to go do battle online.

Surely me spouting an unrelated opinion will really show those idiots they aren't actually having fun with their new toys!!!
CPauywK.png
Last i checked this was a FORUM. Please have a look at what forum means.

Rolla

Banned
Game changer.

Last gen I gave up on bloodborne because of the load times. This gen, despite a few thousand deaths in Demon's Souls, I can;t get enough. Load times are blink and you can miss it. One of the most impressive features and well worth the upgrade.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Last i checked this was a FORUM. Please have a look at what forum means.
Clean the joker makeup off and read the thread title first. There are plenty of threads where people would love to discuss your xss experience and impressions.

Puncheur

Half of my playtime on the og demon's souls was spent looking at the npc loading screens. It was butt achingly boring! On PS5 it is a dream whizzing from archstoms to archstone. Hype warranted in my opinion. Im sure PS5 games will be optimised to take full advantage of the ssd.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yes its for real. Demon's Souls i can quit out the game and restart and be back in before other games have even booted. it makes grinding so easy.

also it seems to have done wonders for other games i own. it's definitely a nice thing to have.

sendit

I have a 2 TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (7100/6600 read/write) in my PC. Quite a bit faster than what’s in the PS5. Cyberpunk loads a save game in ~5-6 seconds. With that said, I still have not seen anything remotely close to what we see with Miles Morales on the PC.

Closer

Clean the joker makeup off and read the thread title first. There are plenty of threads where people would love to discuss your xss experience and impressions.

Didn't he talk about his experience with PS5? I feel like you're blind by the XSS in his statement.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
The first party games load insanely fast. It's kinda crazy.

For demons souls it's a legitimate game changer not having any time to contemplate putting the game down in-between deaths.

Stuff like DIRT5 take around 8 seconds? Which is still fast, but feels solw af compared to the optimised games.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think they are super fast, specially skipping menus via Activity cards. Looking forward to see more native games that also take advantage of Oodle Texture to reduce even more these loading times to their maximum potential in the following months.

And I assume some time later, to see them taking the full advantage to stream at super fast speed freeing and loading stuff faster from memory so they can concentrate level detail and amount of objects now spent in a bigger portion of a stage in barely what you see in the screen.

Games not only loading faster, but also looking prettier thanks to that superb SSD.

I have a 2 TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (7100/6600 read/write) in my PC. Quite a bit faster than what’s in the PS5. Cyberpunk loads a save game in ~5-6 seconds. With that said, I still have not seen anything remotely close to what we see with Miles Morales on the PC.
Native PS5 versions of the games load faster than their PS4 version of that same game via PS5BC. As of now Cyberpunk only has the PS4 version via BC, once they release its native PS5 version it will load faster.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The reason the demon's souls isn't completely faithful to the original. The lack of loading screen images.
But thanks to that its much easier to trade with the Crow right away by rebooting the game without suffering through the load times.

Last edited:

sendit

I think they are super fast, specially skipping menus via Activity cards. Looking forward to see more native games that also take advantage of Oodle Texture to reduce even more these loading times to their maximum potential in the following months.

And I assume some time later, to see them taking the full advantage to stream at super fast speed freeing and loading stuff faster from memory so they can concentrate level detail and amount of objects now spent in a bigger portion of a stage in barely what you see in the screen.

Games not only loading faster, but also looking prettier thanks to that superb SSD.

Native PS5 versions of the games load faster than their PS4 version of that same game via PS5BC. As of now Cyberpunk only has the PS4 version via BC, once they release its native PS5 version it will load faster.

It will get faster due to the nature of the SSD having zero seek latency and much faster reads in comparison to a spindle HDD. However, games need to be specifically coded to constantly stream assets in and out to take advantage of the advances in I/O that the PS5 brings to the table. With most if not all games released currently (aside from Miles Morales or Demons Soul) on the PS5, that is just the raw speed of the SSD working.

Matt_Fox

So is it currently just Demon Souls, Astros Playroom and Spiderman that are 'instantaneous' on PS5?

Every other game starts faster than PS4 but still has significant load times?

I'm happy with them so far, definitely an improvement and will probably get better when developers work solely for next gen hardware. If demon souls and spiderman are indicators I'll be more than happy.

Dodkrake

Banned
March 2020, and the PS5 reveal centres around the SSD.

"PS5 load times were eliminated" says Games Radar

"The drive will be so fast that load times will be non existent" says The Verge

"PS5 blindingly fast, SSD enables instantaneous load times" says Push Square

Sources: PS5 load times were eliminated to "give the game designer freedom" to make whatever they want | GamesRadar+
PS5 'Blindingly Fast' SSD Enables 'Instantaneous' Load Times - Push Square
Sony says the PlayStation 5’s SSD will completely change next-gen level design - The Verge

And there are many more statements from the gaming press like those above.

So, now you've had some time with the PS5 how do do you feel about what was reported and what we actually got?

Yes. Being able to load spiderman from menu to game in 5 or 6 seconds is just perfect. instant load times when fast travelling. It\s incredible.

SkylineRKR

Activity cards really cut through the whole bs. It's great.

I like the cards more than Quick Resume if i'm honest, but it won't be there for each game. At least not as deep as Sackboy or Astro.

The cards made me 100% Astro Playroom while maintaining fun. Look at the card, I see 66%, I know I missed something. It spawns me at the checkpoint closest to the secret. If I can't find it, I press the video. When you find it, the card updates immediately, and it can take you closest to the next secret while also having the video for it ready.

Its also like quick resume in a way because I can instantly load into a specific archstone of Demon's Souls while playing Astro or instantly start the final boss of DMCV. But you need to go to the home icon first, and to the game. And it doesn't remember your exact location with pause on as per QR, you start at the beginning.

I think Sony might have something if they integrate the cards into the Switcher menu.

I also own an Xbox so I do have QR. But its bugged as fuck. Sometimes I have to hard reset, other times sound goes fucked. Its great when it works as intended.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Sources: PS5 load times were eliminated to "give the game designer freedom" to make whatever they want | GamesRadar+
Sony says the PlayStation 5’s SSD will completely change next-gen level design - The Verge

So, now you've had some time with the PS5 how do do you feel about what was reported and what we actually got?
soooooo, you don't have a PS5 now don'tcha?

For a lot games, my PC is still faster at loading (nvme SSD). But are there even games that take full advantage of the PS5's I/O bus yet? And of course Direct storage and RTX I/O are coming to PC too.

From what I've seen so far it's a day and night difference from the old consoles, but not from what PC has had for the last half a decade. that might change as game start taking full advantage of that improved I/O on the consoles.
Was gonna say this...Its better...but as someone who uses an nvme ssd and other ssd drives for some time now I haven't really really had an issue with loading for some time now.

Dark Souls respawns and the Spiderman main screen start up have impressed me the most.

I really wanna dive in on Ratchet/Clank though

Last edited:

Lister

Banned

5 to 6 seconds is no where as close to 3 seconds? Sounds pretty close to me. Basically at this point in time a pc with a fast ssd is not as fast but the difference right now is no where near the gap between pc and console for the past decade.

Last gen and the gen before that console load times were minute plus long vs seconds on pc. Now its like 3 to 10 seconds shorter and thats without io enhancements coming to pc.

Matt_Fox

soooooo, you don't have a PS5 now don'tcha?

Ha! Yes I do, but I've mostly been playing Days Gone and Call Of Duty - I havent played Spiderman of Demon Souls, and so to be honest havent really seen the lightning speeds that others have described (but good to know they're there!).

JackMcGunns

I googled "PS5 vs PC load times" since that doesn't seem to have been a focus in many comparison threads (focus has been more on XsX vs PS5) and found this:

PC is a 3700x CPU using a M.2 SSD

The consoles hold up very well compared to the PC versions, both consoles win in a couple cases

--------------

GTA 5 -

30.8 seconds PC NCMe,
27.8 seconds PS5,
29 seconds XsX

Shadow of the Tomb Raider -

12.8 seconds PC NVMe,
20 seconds PS5,
22 seconds XsX

Outer Worlds -

5.3 seconds PC NVMe,
7.5 seconds PS5 and XsX

RDR2 -

24.2 seconds PC NVMe,
22.2 seconds PS5,
25.4 seconds XsX

Kingdom Come: Deliverance -

5.3 seconds PC NVMe,
5.6 seconds PS5,
6.5 seconds XsX

AC: Odyssey -

27.5 seconds PC NVMe,
18.1 seconds PS5,
19.2 seconds XsX

Witcher 3 -

5.3 seconds on all 3

Definitely worth the standard SSD hype that most down to earth publications were looking forward to, there's a HUGE difference compared to last gen.

Here's the catch though, the hype created by people expecting the load times to be twice as fast as Series X, that part was definitely overblown. GTA loads 1.2 seconds faster on PS5, AC: Oddysey 1.1 seconds faster, Kingdom Come 0.9 seconds faster and a tie on others (Witcher 3, Outer Worlds) Going back to those SSD threads and the hype was real, for everyone else with a grip on reality, it's doing what was expected and its great!

yurinka

It will get faster due to the nature of the SSD having zero seek latency and much faster reads in comparison to a spindle HDD. However, games need to be specifically coded to constantly stream assets in and out to take advantage of the advances in I/O that the PS5 brings to the table. With most if not all games released currently (aside from Miles Morales or Demons Soul) on the PS5, that is just the raw speed of the SSD working.
It isn't just the raw speed of the SSD and zero seek times that any SSD have, all data stored in the PS5 SSD is compressed using Kraken and there's a dedicated decompression chip in the I/O that decompresses it in real time when loaded all made by the OS & hardware in a transparent way for devs. This, plus many other PS5 specific I/O hardware improvements related to memory management made to solve traditional bottlenecks, is the reason of why PS5 SDD loads faster than any other 5.5GB/s PC SSD.

Once they start applying Oodle texture to their content (something it's very easy and at zero cost because Sony bought the licenses for all PS5 1st and 3rd party devs, and also doesn't require related coding or to dedicate memory/CPU/GPU resources) this Kraken compression will be more effective which means data will be better compressed so load times will be shorter. According to its devs basically no devs were using Oodle Texture.

This is one thing. A separate one, which will require dedicate engines (like UE5) and coding will be the other thing related to take advantage of the speed to make the crazy streaming to really optimize all the pipeline to take advantage of these high speeds and to don't waste resources that are far of the player and focus the resources on basically the stuff you can see in the camera and a bit more, skyrocketing detail level to a point you can get rid of a lot of work spent into tricks made until now to simulate extra detail, lighting, shadows, models with different LOD and so on that was needed because there wasn't enough memory/loading speed/GPU power.

Stuff seen in the UE5 demo: you load crazy detailed models and textures, the game engine via geometry engine reduces their quality to the one the resolution can handle considering camera position and distance, removes the stuff the camera can't see, and applies a cool real time global illumination.

A huge work will go into the engine, but then into the game they won't need to do many other things they did in the past like bump maping/LOD/baked lighting/etc, and will be able to spend their time into adding more stuff and more detail instead and having more freedom in terms of level design because now they won't need "corridors" to mask streaming or static environments (expect to see more destructible walls this gen) to mask stuff like baked lighting.

Definitely worth the standard SSD hype that most down to earth publications were looking forward to, there's a HUGE difference compared to last gen.

Here's the catch though, the hype created by people expecting the load times to be twice as fast as Series X, that part was definitely overblown. GTA loads 1.2 seconds faster on PS5, AC: Oddysey 1.1 seconds faster, Kingdom Come 0.9 seconds faster and a tie on others (Witcher 3, Outer Worlds) Going back to those SSD threads and the hype was real, for everyone else with a grip on reality, it's doing what was expected and its great!
Native next gen games load faster on PS5, and in BC games PS5 reduces PS4 Pro loading times in a bigger % than XSX reduces the XB1X.

But XB1X was way more powerful than PS4 Pro, which means many last gen multi games did load way faster in XB1X than in PS4 Pro. That difference was so big that even if PS5 reduces in a bigger % the previous gen loading times, many BC games end having a shorter loading time in XSX.

As mentioned, soon all new PS5 native games will start using Oodle Texture, which will make them load faster than now so the difference will be bigger in future PS5 vs XSX native games.

In addition to this, many of the current native games are crossgen or are using last gen tweaked engines, which means very likely won't be optimized on next gen consoles in terms of loading and memory management for the next gen systems, using basically the common previous gen system. This means that in the future games and engines designed and optimized for SSD (and not HDD) only machines will load faster.

Last edited:

jroc74

The best examples I've seen of it on PS5 is Sack Boy, Astro's Playroom, Spider-Man Miles, Demon's Souls. I mentioned Terraria earlier, and those familiar with that game it zooms past the loading bars, lol. Think of The Sims and the loading dialogue, Terraria's similar.

I just installed Madden 21, will see how that does. I havent installed NBA 2K21 yet, but we've seen examples of that. I honestly think the SSD speed, tech involved will get better after they do the firmware update to enable the NVMe slot. Just a guess tho, but I think the update that unlocks the slot will bring some wanted features and SSD performance.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Been playing destiny 2 on both Xbox and ps5, don’t notice much of a difference If at all.

Derktron

Banned
Apparently they still exist on Xbox Series S because loading is still there and even games on the internal memory it still loads slow.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

It is because the console is just being released, the real test is when it is in the middle of its cycle or in the last few years with quality games from a hypothetical The last of us 3 or the latest releases.

There will always be loading times, it really is something that can never be eliminated, if we want to go back to the SNES era where they almost did not exist, it will not be so soon.

Kholinar

Banned
It is because the console is just being released, the real test is when it is in the middle of its cycle or in the last few years with quality games from a hypothetical The last of us 3 or the latest releases.

There will always be loading times, it really is something that can never be eliminated, if we want to go back to the SNES era where they almost did not exist, it will not be so soon.

Lmao, if anything, it'll get faster by then. Updated game engines, newer file systems, Oodle Texture, etc.

JRW

Demon Souls 3 - 4 second load times are pretty insane especially when you consider PS5 version is loading much larger / higher quality assets.

PS3 version would take 25-30 seconds anytime you traveled to another area.

jroc74

Been playing destiny 2 on both Xbox and ps5, don’t notice much of a difference If at all.
From loading on PS4, XBO? I know PS4 might not see much improvement.

I dont think this thread is about comparing to other next gen consoles, just in general vs last gen consoles.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Hype is real. When I see someone with a ps4 and watch them load I’m like ughhhh. Even my PC SSD is weak in comparison.

Top Bottom