• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Load Time Hype - This is an SSD Thread

GODbody

Those peak speeds are only for sequental reads. Random reads which are more inline to your actual usage don't hit those speed...

Here's a comparison random 4k read (wd blue sn550 chosen to represent XboxX storage, based on sequential reading speeds):

Storage-Review-WD-Blue-SN550-Rnd-Read-4-K.png

Here is that same benchmark on the 980 pro

Storage-Review-Samsung-980-Pro-1-TB-Rnd-Read-4-K.png

Notice that the WD blue peaks at 390,000 iops at 800 miliseconds while the 980 hits 390,000 iops at about 100 miliseconds and tops out at about 550,000 iops at 250 miliseconds.

Personally, I don't expect this to have any impact whatsoever on graphics, but the quality of life of almost instant storage is just magical.
Well we don't know whether the data given for the PS5 SSD is sequential or random, sustained or burst. We also do not have the latency or the IOPS for the PS5's SSD. They haven't confirmed that information and I honestly don't expect Sony to, because they do not really need to. PS5 is going to sell millions of consoles regardless.

My major point though, is that the streaming pool size for an advertisement of the capability of next-gen is not an unreachable goal for most modern SSDs, which makes sense since the Unreal Engine is targeting every device. If a current gen game requires a large 10 GB streaming pool for memory reducing down to a 768 MB pool is a 1:13 ratio or a 13x increase in bandwidth. Far cry from the 100x increase in data transfer speeds.

The raw speed will make a difference in asset loading, but it's impact and the true next-generation leap will not be realized until games have enough asset data to fully saturate that SSD speed.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Well we don't know whether the data given for the PS5 SSD is sequential or random, sustained or burst. We also do not have the latency or the IOPS for the PS5's SSD. They haven't confirmed that information and I honestly don't expect Sony to, because they do not really need to. PS5 is going to sell millions of consoles regardless.

My major point though, is that the streaming pool size for an advertisement of the capability of next-gen is not an unreachable goal for most modern SSDs, which makes sense since the Unreal Engine is targeting every device. If a current gen game requires a large 10 GB streaming pool for memory reducing down to a 768 MB pool is a 1:13 ratio or a 13x increase in bandwidth. Far cry from the 100x increase in data transfer speeds.

The raw speed will make a difference in asset loading, but it's impact and the true next-generation leap will not be realized until games have enough asset data to fully saturate that SSD speed.

The quoted speeds for the drives match standard off-the-shelf drives sequentials (well, in ps5 case, soon to be available) so it's very, very safe to assume they're sequentials. On top of that, sequential is universally used as the marketing number for ssds.

768mb might be easy-peasy in sequential, but in random reads (which more accurately replicate real use while gaming), well not so much.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Awesome news! Sony has said earlier that their compression algo. is updatable through firmware updates, wich means the new decompressor can be used with hardware decompression.

17.38GB/s bandwidth is kinda crazy..

CitizenX

Banned
Well, since no games have been shown i guess you have to talk about something. Man, remember prior to a new console release it was about the games and how much better they would look, now its load times, hardware services. Funny, especially MS, got you right where they wanted you.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, that DMC5 load is pretty damn fast.

Is 2 seconds pretty much the "magic number" because that's how fast the PS5 can fill up its RAM from the SSD? Is there a reason it would ever take longer? (Assets unpacking or something?)

Tschumi

So, for the dopes like me who kinda-sorta-dont really get the tech side of things....

this is what frustrates me... from
My limited understanding...Series X has roughly 2 TFLOPS more of “muscle” but does that really make a difference in comparison to their SSD solutions? It seems like....ok, games could look a bit sharper or whatever but the Developer doesn’t have access to an SSD solution that is will facilitate the types of loading the PS5 can do.

You've said, organically, what every Sony fan has lightbulb known since the Deep Dive came out and they saw a lower TFLOP figure but vastly better load capacity.

When I'm playing GT and set my clutch for my BMW Motorsport beast to push 300 mph, I'm going to get a very slowly accelerating fridge which never gets anywhere near that speed. XSX is set to reach graphical levels exceeding those of PS5, but when you load those tens of gigabytes of extra textures and such with a slow loading capacity.. you're gonna look at last gen load times.

Damn, that DMC5 load is pretty damn fast.

Is 2 seconds pretty much the "magic number" because that's how fast the PS5 can fill up its RAM from the SSD? Is there a reason it would ever take longer? (Assets unpacking or something?)
Will Oodle/Kraken technology make future games faster than 2 seconds (first party PS5 exclusives at least)?
I wonder

Will Oodle/Kraken technology make future games faster than 2 seconds (first party PS5 exclusives at least)?
I wonder

I think there are some that will take less but 2 seconds are good for player perception of transitions so they're settling for that. Otherwise it would look odd and unexpected I think. I mean count 1, 2. That's how fast it's.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

It is. Maybe the final version will be faster?

Probably not, it fits in with their animations they want for that game, its not like the system can't do it faster, weve seen it.

They want the bot travelling through that tunnel.

Just on oodle texture, am sure some devs will utilise it.

But devs may settle for 2 seco ds or so to avoid being too jarring.

Its in streaming where PS5 will use this io to do some amazing things just not possible anywhere else.

Top Bottom