• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is comfortably the market leader in UK

What would the landscape look like without gamepass?

I think Gamepass being on PC and XB1 and those consoles sharing the library with Series consoles will naturally lead to a smaller install base of MSnext gen consoles. How much smaller remains to be seen, but there's no chance in hell Xbox is returning to 80m install base of 360, and they dont even care as long as you sub to Gamepass (for £1 or for free :) ).

Mr Moose

No what, no the Xbox isn’t selling every unit they make? So you can just walk down to any shop at any time on any day and pick up a series X or PS5 off the shelf?
You're forgetting the Series S exists, and you can find it in stores. That's why I said 3 consoles.

Why do people fap over sonys sales numbers so much. There's a thread at least once a week about playstation sales numbers.
Yeah it's weird. The Switch has been dominating the number 1 market in the world for 30 months straight but I don't see many (if any) celebration threads. On the other hand some random 3rd party game sells 3000 copies and there's a celebration thread because Playstation had more market share. I guess some people desperately need every "win" they can get :messenger_beaming:

Unknown?

Yeah it's weird. The Switch has been dominating the number 1 market in the world for 30 months straight but I don't see many (if any) celebration threads. On the other hand some random 3rd party game sells 3000 copies and there's a celebration thread because Playstation had more market share. I guess some people desperately need every "win" they can get :messenger_beaming:
You must not be paying attention then. Tons of Switch domination celebrating going on here.

avin

Google Trends doesn't really back up the idea of PS5 dominating over Xbox machines, at least at the level of interest. Last year, sure, two to one even, but things appear to be changing. You can switch the region to the UK, it's a similar enough picture. I'm curious to know if sales will eventually match interest, or if there's another reason for differences.

avin

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Google Trends doesn't really back up the idea of PS5 dominating over Xbox machines, at least at the level of interest. Last year, sure, two to one even, but things appear to be changing. You can switch the region to the UK, it's a similar enough picture. I'm curious to know if sales will eventually match interest, or if there's another reason for differences.

avin
*Adds PS5 into the comparison*

avin

ps5 picks up fewer hits. For what it's worth, the term I used for playstation picked up most hits. However, using just "xbox" picks up even more hits than the term I used, but I think my term was the fairest comparison I could find.

Whatever I do, though, the overall trends don't change. Like I said earlier, I'm not seeing a simple picture, at least at the level of interest.

avin

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Colteastwood is busy typing his latest tweet about this.

90 Day Fiance Ugh GIF by TLC

killatopak

Gold Member
I suspect this is because there's not really any reset that happened like past transitions of console generations.

You can basically play any game you had at your PS4 on the PS5 so the purchases you had in the past at their ecosystem still brings value to you.

It would take a monumental fuck up of Sony or Nintendo for MS to overtake them in markets where they are leading already.

Jaybe

I suspect this is because there's not really any reset that happened like past transitions of console generations.

You can basically play any game you had at your PS4 on the PS5 so the purchases you had in the past at their ecosystem still brings value to you.

It would take a monumental fuck up of Sony or Nintendo for MS to overtake them in markets where they are leading already.

This is bang on. With the transition to more digital game purchases, people more locked in to their online subscriptions, friend lists, and social sharing, as you say there is no reset. MS picked the worst gen to lose.

Kerotan

And rightly so. Sony have hit it out of the park giving us gamers exactly what we need. Funny enough no forced cross play on warzone is the biggest and best exclusive of this gen. Had 1 game with cross play on last night and there were 2 hackers in the lobby. Sony are 4 the players for real. If we want to play in potentially hacked lobbies we get the option not forced.

This is bang on. With the transition to more digital game purchases, people more locked in to their online subscriptions, friend lists, and social sharing, as you say there is no reset. MS picked the worst gen to lose.

absolutely. it looks like sony wil not only retain all those ps4 owners but also add new customers on top of that. last generation was one of the most important in that aspect because its more of a continuation than it ever has been in the past.

This is the type of delusion I was talking about ^^

It was 2:1 the start of this year. That's significantly worse than the 7:5 split from last gen. We've also seen chip production numbers where Sony is allocated double of what is allocated to MS from AMD.

So what fantasy are you living in?
You post random analyst estimates instead of using actual tracked sales data?

Jup that's delusional.

Last edited:

TV&Drugs

Neo Member
absolutely. it looks like sony wil not only retain all those ps4 owners but also add new customers on top of that. last generation was one of the most important in that aspect because its more of a continuation than it ever has been in the past.

Also their games aren't very exciting. Like going on and on about Flight Sim and Forza. Those are nice games for the types of people that like them, but its not exactly Miles Morales and Horizon Forbiden West is it.

They have yet to show a single thing that makes you go wow. Not a single thing.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Where are you seeing the number of units available?
There's also the bundles.
if you don't like Amazon, there's Smyths and Very

It says only 1 left in stock.

How is series X stock looking in the UK? That’s the console that early adopters want, not the series S.

edit: just checked and series x is out of stock.

Last edited:
I'd give MS 5years (so that their studios release a critical mass of good/great games)... Assuming that the studios deliver.

Until then there's no reason to consider an Xbox over a PlayStation console.

demigod

So just pure conjecture used as excuse why they aren't selling as well as PS5? Chips are held by Microsoft to put in the cloud servers?

We know Xcloud can use slightly defective chips.

Retail
  • 28 WGPs enabled at 1675 MHz
  • 26 WGPs enabled at 1825 MHz
Cloud
  • >=24 WGPs enabled at 1975 MHz
Let's use April's numbers for some quick maths. We know PS5 is likely selling at 2:1 of Xbox Series X/S which means 4 million Xbox Series. The divide between Series X and S would be 3:1 based on launch allocations. That means 3 million X to 1 million S ~75% of all Series consoles sold is X.

According to some reports, AMD has allocated wafer for 80K PS5 & 40K for X/SX. In terms of chips using TSMC N7 DUV with defect rate of 0.09/cm^2 or ~73% of 300mm wafer. 107 good chips or 3.21 million chips from 30K wafers that meet specs of the retail unit out of 147 dies/wafer, to 40 defective ones or 1.2 million defective. Let's assume from the 1.2 million defective ones that do not meet Retail unit specification , let's be very very conservative and say 20% meets the Cloud specifications or roughly 240K chips, not counting the retail units. Why would Microsoft be holding back chip from the retail allocations when chips from the lower binned ones would suffice?
It's cute xfans thinks there are hundreds of millions of chips allocated to the server blades.

So we should believe you and your feelings over a professional research company? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Feelings lol. I only ever use tracking companies with a perfect reputation using point of sales data like GFK, GSD, NPD Group, Famitsu and Media Create alongside official manufacture number reported in SEC fillings. If you use anything else, you don't belong in a sales topic.

And again, those official figures in ES, UK and JP have the gap lower than last gen at this point.

Loope

Hmmm

I don't know how to feel about a multibillion corporation that doesn't know i exist selling more of its products than another multibillion corporation that doesn't know i exist.

Fanboys, help me out!
Apparently, instead of being happy for your corporation, you should throw jabs and one liners at the other corporation service. At least that's what i got from observing the local fanboys.

Loope

It would be no different if xbox were in first place. People like to brag about the success of their consoles.
Imagine that, car forums would go ballistic with Renault sales ahahah. Nothing against Renault, i had a Megane and it was a fantastic car.

What would the landscape look like without gamepass?
Many people have already stated it I'm sure, but I'd figure the numbers would be even more so in favor of Sony. Without GamePass there isn't as much of a reason to buy an Xbox. I like my Series X but there is no software that isn't available elsewhere, and GamePass at least gives people value in their purchase even if I generally think GamePass is meh.

Hasn't PlayStation always sold more in the UK then Xbox as well?

Also isn't PC pretty popular in the UK? If you have a PC then the value of an Xbox drops considerably.

Last edited:
Top Bottom