• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 HDMI Cable

recursive

You sound like a Best Buy employee trying to sell Monster cables.

There’s literally no difference, you will never run into signal interference on an HDMI cable unless it’s broken.
Actually there is a bit of engineering that goes I to these things to combat crosstalk, reflections due to impedance mismatches, shielding, wire twist,etc. A shitty designed cable may be ok at lower bandwidths and then display pixelation or discoloration at high bandwidth. You may not notice it sitting on your couch depending on how bad it is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can't get the one you recommended in the UK at 1.5m in length?
I see this one, but the third party seller is way overcharging. Must be a supply issue at the moment.

This one would probably work just as well.

ethomaz

Banned
This is a long believed internet "truth" but not exactly true

I Spent a THOUSAND Dollars on HDMI Cables.. for Science - YouTube

Whether that difference matters is another question, but the whole the signal either gets through or doesn't because digital thing is a myth. That said, Sony's is more than good enough, and this is particularly about the cheapest stuff on long cables.
I watched this whole video and they guys says the opposite of what you posted.
He actually said the same as us are saying.

- In terms of signal there is no difference between expensive or cheaper cables… or it fails or it works.
- The is no difference in quality… again or you lose the image or it shows a perfect image.

You don’t have “ohhhhh this cable is giving me a bad image quality”.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I agree. But I’ve seen cables in the same price range offer more or less pop than another when similarly specced. Like one will have a higher contrast or appear brighter. Brand new cables with the same components and inputs used so the settings were identical. There’s some funky shit going on out there.
I really doubt you saw difference between contrast or brighter using different cables in the same INPUT on your TV.

Unless the cable fails (and you lose signal) you will get the exactly same data independent of the cable.

FrankWza

I really doubt you saw difference between contrast or brighter using different cables in the same INPUT on your TV.

Unless the cable fails (and you lose signal) you will get the exactly same data independent of the cable.
I did. I’m bypassing my receiver because it isn’t 2.1 compatible. I ab’d with same input. This was around launch when I had to find an hdmi cable. At that point they were all highest bandwidth after i eliminated the ones that weren’t actually full 2.1 compatible. 1 or 2 even had a weird blue tint that would happen once every 40 or so minutes. It could be a bandwidth issue but one or 2 cables definitely had more pop to them and or washed out looks.
Edit: I should add this is when pushing 2.1. If that wasn’t clear before so 4K @120 based on the tv diagnostics. I used siege to test.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I see this one, but the third party seller is way overcharging. Must be a supply issue at the moment.

This one would probably work just as well.
Thank you sir.

FrankWza

Thank you sir.
I’m pretty sure that zeskit is the one I mentioned in my post above about the screen color changing every 40 minutes.
someone recommended it in the old tech thread last year. Make sure you buy all your cables from fulfilled but amazon sellers and have a game that supports 4K @ 120 and find how to access your tv diagnostics to test.

Kuranghi

At work today this guy was being a totally rude prick, (he even snapped his fingers at me once) so I told him he NEEDED the "8K" "gold" HDMI cable to get a proper 4K signal, I told him he needed "at least doppel the bandywidth" with those actual spelling mistakes said out loud.

Christ I really hope he repeats that to someone at some point and they laugh in his face. Absolute cunt. I don't care if you're having the worst day of your life, treat people in service/retail industry with respect or stay in your fucking house until you've cooled down/learnt some respect.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Cables were the easy part.
The hard part for me was waiting for HDMI 2.1 switches to finally come to market, and it seems like they are starting to slowly come out, but I haven't done enough research yet.

Anyone have a suggestion for this?

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

weird-al-say-what.gif
Wl0I4Im.gif

FrankWza

Cables were the easy part.
The hard part for me was waiting for HDMI 2.1 switches to finally come to market, and it seems like they are starting to slowly come out, but I haven't done enough research yet.

Anyone have a suggestion for this?
That’s going to be an interesting thing to watch because even the first 2.1 receivers had some issues. Good luck.

I usually like all my cables white.

But for my PS5 I bought this cable. I have managed to damage my HDMI ports on two of my PS4s from janking down the hdmi while its inserted.
gngjZvb.jpg

Kerotan

I got the new x90j and was told the PS5 could only go hdr in 1080p and was like ffs this hdmi isn't 2.1. Then I realised I had to enable it on the TV settings. It's cool the way you can see exactly what each hdmi port can do.

I've got so many old HDMI cables around that I need to start labeling them or better yet getting rid of them to avoid future issues.
I want my next AVR to have the testing feature that has you plug each end of a cable into the AVR and test it's capabilities.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
woah who the F is paying 42 pounds for hdmi cables?

jeesus.

i mean i buy pretty (and fast) hdmi cables but they are at most $15...

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
You need at lest something like this:
eJVk435.jpg

Otherwise you might as well have stayed on PS4

HDMI carries a digital signal.
Usually with digital signals you either get the full signal or you simply don't get anything, you can't only get a partial amount of it, it's either 100% or 0%. So a $1000 cable is going to give you the same image as a $20 one.

Usually the more expensive cables (I'm talking the $30-50 range, not the ridiculous stuff I posted above) just have better build quality and should last longer before needing to be replaced, specially if you are going to be moving or plugging and unplugging it a lot (to connect different devices). But you won't be getting a better picture from them.
Oh good lord. Read the specs...

HDMI has errors, bitflips, but you barely see it. If your cat or hamster starts to eat the cable you'll notice those errors for sure. Audio also has error correction.

Top Bottom