• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 has Speech Dictation for Fast in-app/in-game Messaging thanks to Dualsense's built-in microphone. Poll Inside!

How do you feel about speech dictation messaging using PS5's Dualsense built-in mic?

• Total voters
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
These things are usually awful. So eh. (looks at my ps camera)

Sweet kids can call ya a faggot in a message in a few seconds instead of a min.
Muchacho hold up, saying faggot here is not allowed. Please use the alternative idiom that is veggie burger eater instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last few smart devices I've bought have voice dictation, Galaxy S10+, LG C9 etc and while it seems like a convenient feature in theory I always end up using my hands instead.

I don't know why but voice dictation just never seems like the efficient way of doing things....

If typing a message on the DS was as efficient as it is on smartphone then I can see your point.

If this voice dictation works well, then that will be the most efficient way out of the box imo.

Kerotan

The last few smart devices I've bought have voice dictation, Galaxy S10+, LG C9 etc and while it seems like a convenient feature in theory I always end up using my hands instead.

I don't know why but voice dictation just never seems like the efficient way of doing things....
I'd be more likely to use this as I'll not be out in public.

Self

Eh, to be honest, although I'm a Sony fan I'm not gonna do the fan thing and paint this as the work of the heavens. Speech to text is janky, i never use it, and anyway potential privacy etc.. whether the mic is on your controller or the console itself, this is no biggy to me.
I use it constantly on Nvidia Shield, Amazon Fire etc. Works like a dime.
I will not miss this feature ever again!

cormack12

Gold Member
I think you can do thos now with PS4? I've never tried it but you do get a little mic icon. However being able to dictate from the controller is cool, I hope it can be used instead of voice chat. KB/M t chat was always the best on PC and didn't mean talking over one another. I'm more interested in how it integrates with games and stuff as they nly really have voip. Very few have chat overlays so I'm hoping to see that grow. It would be awesome just having a chat log in game instead of going to discord

thelastword

Banned
Amazing feature, should gets lots of use and a way to standardize text to voice to text and improve it massively henceforth.......Sony is bringing a bag of great features this gen and by the looks of it, they have not even revealed their best UI features yet......I'm glad they waited to show us the goods, it's too late for any company to metoo these features before launch, so they can now bask in their own vision and featureset for the PS5 and the OS....Their strategy of not splooging all details at once was again genius......As you really don't need all the information at once, you need to build hype and anticipation for your product. Seems Sony is poised to do that till launch day.....So there must be some amazing features left before the day of the stampede (launch day)......

So many geniuses working at Sony; Cerny, Otori, Jim Ryan, the marketing guy.......All their decisions have been on point and have returned them maximum positive hype and majority mindshare......I guess they know a thing about selling consoles...

reinking

Gold Member
they do have the similarities of a device being able to sense your environment. the controller is a default device, the kinect was an extra (after they removed it from being a default).

I can see a market for PS5 dual sense microphone covers.

Edit: the PS5 may be an internet required console. We have yet to hear confirmation that it doesn’t require an online connection to function.
The outrage over Kinect mostly happened prior to the Xbox One launch. At that time Microsoft stated that Kinect would be required to be plugged in at all times. That is where the outrage came from, the Xbox One was originally supposed to be online and have a listening/viewing device connected at all times. Most (informed) people were not upset with Kinect once they removed the "required" part of the equation. As far as I know the Dual Sense microphone is not listening until you join a party chat. These two situations are more different than they are alike.

Now, if you want to get scared go look at Google Home and Amazon Alexa. Times have changed and people seem to have come to gripes with always on devices. I believe a lot of people would be okay with Kinect (minus the camera) these days. It would get a lot of defense based on people willing to have Google and Alexa listening in at all times.

Last edited:
Amazing feature, should gets lots of use and a way to standardize text to voice to text and improve it massively henceforth.......Sony is bringing a bag of great features this gen and by the looks of it, they have not even revealed their best UI features yet......I'm glad they waited to show us the goods, it's too late for any company to metoo these features before launch, so they can now bask in their own vision and featureset for the PS5 and the OS....Their strategy of not splooging all details at once was again genius......As you really don't need all the information at once, you need to build hype and anticipation for your product. Seems Sony is poised to do that till launch day.....So there must be some amazing features left before the day of the stampede (launch day)......

So many geniuses working at Sony; Cerny, Otori, Jim Ryan, the marketing guy.......All their decisions have been on point and have returned them maximum positive hype and majority mindshare......I guess they know a thing about selling consoles...

🤦‍♂️

Kinect was an always on device when it launched (it also has a camera). The microphone on the Dual Sense controller is not. The only time anyone can listen to you with the Dual Sense microphone is when you join a group chat. Even then, it is easily muted.
You didn’t have to use your Kinect. You have to use the PS5 controller.

reinking

Gold Member
You didn’t have to use your Kinect. You have to use the PS5 controller.

The outrage over Kinect mostly happened prior to the Xbox One launch. At that time Microsoft stated that Kinect would be required to be plugged in at all times. That is where the outrage came from, the Xbox One was originally supposed to be online and have a listening/viewing device connected at all times. Most (informed) people were not upset with Kinect once they removed the "required" part of the equation. As far as I know the Dual Sense microphone is not listening until you join a party chat. These two situations are more different than they are alike.

Now, if you want to get scared go look at Google Home and Amazon Alexa. Times have changed and people seem to have come to gripes with always on devices. I believe a lot of people would be okay with Kinect (minus the camera) these days. It would get a lot of defense based on people willing to have Google and Alexa listening in at all times.
I mean.. ...if you need an internet win I will concede and declare you winner but that still does not make these situations equal.

Last edited:
I mean.. ...if you need an internet win I will concede and declare you winner but that still does not make these situations equal.
Hey i never had a problem with Kinect. But there’s a lot of hiprocracy happening here in regards to a console having surveillance abilities built in. Regardless of what opinion you think you have, the pretenses are the same. I was here when the Xbox One was announced. The kinect concern always felt like bullshit. Extra so with this ps5 feature.

Trimesh

Banned
Honestly seems like a completely shit idea - even "good" speech recognition is pretty crap, and best avoided. Hopefully it can be entirely disabled.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Remember when people were worried their Xbox was going to watch them masturbate? Why is a wire tap in your controller a good thing now?

Ar¢tos

Remember when people were worried their Xbox was going to watch them masturbate? Why is a wire tap in your controller a good thing now?
I wonder what you people do and say in front of your consoles to be so afraid of the ultra remote possibility of someone even caring enough to want to hear/see you?
Is it a massive huge ego that makes you think you are more important than the other billions of people on the planet and because of that all corporations in the world assign staff to exclusively monitor you?
Do you plan terrorist attacks or other international crimes while playing games?
Do you share bank account numbers, access codes, passwords, social security numbers, etc via console voice chat often?

Because for us, non megalomaniac normal humans, it's not even considered as a possibility, monitoring other people has massive costs and requires a lot of human resources, and we don't really see a hardware manufacturer bothering with that.
Governments, maybe, for important people.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I wonder what you people do and say in front of your consoles to be so afraid of the ultra remote possibility of someone even caring enough to want to hear/see you?
Is it a massive huge ego that makes you think you are more important than the other billions of people on the planet and because of that all corporations in the world assign staff to exclusively monitor you?
Do you plan terrorist attacks or other international crimes while playing games?
Do you share bank account numbers, access codes, passwords, social security numbers, etc via console voice chat often?

Because for us, non megalomaniac normal humans, it's not even considered as a possibility, monitoring other people has massive costs and requires a lot of human resources, and we don't really see a hardware manufacturer bothering with that.
Governments, maybe, for important people.
That is the funniest thing I've read today. The dismissive tone, the smug attitude, the projection of invented motives. It reads like a perfect representation of an internet contrarian posting just so they can smell their own farts.

Ar¢tos

That is the funniest thing I've read today. The dismissive tone, the smug attitude, the projection of invented motives. It reads like a perfect representation of an internet contrarian posting just so they can smell their own farts.
If reality is too hard or makes you feel less important, sure, whatever you prefer to believe is fine by me, it won't certainly get in the way of my enjoyment of console gaming.

Top Bottom