• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 games won't support VR, no support for at least 2 years.

Impotaku

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time believing anyone is exclusively a vr player.

This is a bit of a weird one though. Bummer.

It seems like there just so preoccupied with emphasising games that work well with the SSD, etc, that they just can't even with other big selling points like BC she vr.

Is this going to make me go Xbox? Nope~

Originally i actually was, i bought my PS4 pretty much to play VR in fact it was tetris effect that finally got me to get a ps4 and the entire VR rig for the first year or so i pretty much exclusively bought just VR titles but then after a while i decided to see what else there was on PS4 that wasn't VR games as it seemed a huge waste to totally ignore the rest of the library. So now im half & half i still get any new VR titales that appear for PS4 in fact the newest one i picked up was the new densha de go game from japan but i also keep an eye on regular stuff too although there's an obscene amount of the ps store i haven't looked through so there's loads of interesting games i have missed and struggle to find as i jumped onto PS4 super late.

Going back to the topic i think it's a smart idea not to just go dive into a sequel to PSVR. Gamers are impatient creatures and may hate this decision & say it's wrong and vr is already dead so waiting that time will be a disaster but to be honest why rush. Sony need to establish the PS5 userbase first as at the moment hardly anyone even has one. Also it gives them time to actually make software or have 3rd parties make games. People seem to love to shit on PSVR but least it actually has some pretty nice games in there and not everything is some janky experience posing as a game, for a sequel to PSVR to work it needs a library of games to go with it.

Gamerasi

aaron paul what GIF by Breaking Bad
Let's say I gave it to a friend.

Because my English is not good, mistakes can occur. I am sorry for this. .

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Astro & RE7 were amazing but VR has failed to deliver besides some gems.

It's go big or go home with VR2 for SIE, at this point nobody on Playstation community cares.

I think you are exaggerating, for me the bullshit about lack of HDR pass through with the first model stung much worse than anything else. Biggest reason I am not connecting PSVR to PS5 and kept PS4 Pro connected for now.

Iron Man (kickass) and Skyrim VR playsvery well with PSVR and PS Move controllers, AC7 VR + Rogue Squadron VR provide great air dogfights in VR, No Man’s Sky VR mode is a full NMS experience and worth experiencing the game in, WipeOut VR is a very playable VR version of WipeOut with great sense of speed and graphics, Robinson pushed visuals quite far for an interactive adventure in VR, Llamasoft’s trippy Polybius is worth playing in VR, Rez ♾ is best played in VR, Blood & Truth from Sony, is no cheap effort either, etc... on top of the titles you mentioned.

There has been tons of PSVR content worth playing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Originally i actually was, i bought my PS4 pretty much to play VR in fact it was tetris effect that finally got me to get a ps4 and the entire VR rig for the first year or so i pretty much exclusively bought just VR titles but then after a while i decided to see what else there was on PS4 that wasn't VR games as it seemed a huge waste to totally ignore the rest of the library. So now im half & half i still get any new VR titales that appear for PS4 in fact the newest one i picked up was the new densha de go game from japan but i also keep an eye on regular stuff too although there's an obscene amount of the ps store i haven't looked through so there's loads of interesting games i have missed and struggle to find as i jumped onto PS4 super late.

Going back to the topic i think it's a smart idea not to just go dive into a sequel to PSVR. Gamers are impatient creatures and may hate this decision & say it's wrong and vr is already dead so waiting that time will be a disaster but to be honest why rush. Sony need to establish the PS5 userbase first as at the moment hardly anyone even has one. Also it gives them time to actually make software or have 3rd parties make games. People seem to love to shit on PSVR but least it actually has some pretty nice games in there and not everything is some janky experience posing as a game, for a sequel to PSVR to work it needs a library of games to go with it.

Agreed, but they can pump out more PSVR content to keep it relevant, they can avoid releasing two HW platforms in a year (feels like a pricey year), and buy themselves time to work on a cheaper and better PSVR2 solution they can maintain for years addressing some issues with the older model. It is important they get it right than rush it out prematurely.

Kev Kev

Let's say I gave it to a friend.

Because my English is not good, mistakes can occur. I am sorry for this. .
Lol no worries. Glad you enjoyed your time with it! There are some other really good games on there besides those two. I definitely recommend checking out more PS4 VR titles before moving onto PS5 VR. Good luck!

Last edited:

onesvenus

I think you are exaggerating, for me the bullshit about lack of HDR pass through with the first model stung much worse than anything else. Biggest reason I am not connecting PSVR to PS5 and kept PS4 Pro connected for now.

Iron Man (kickass) and Skyrim VR playsvery well with PSVR and PS Move controllers, AC7 VR + Rogue Squadron VR provide great air dogfights in VR, No Man’s Sky VR mode is a full NMS experience and worth experiencing the game in, WipeOut VR is a very playable VR version of WipeOut with great sense of speed and graphics, Robinson pushed visuals quite far for an interactive adventure in VR, Llamasoft’s trippy Polybius is worth playing in VR, Rez ♾ is best played in VR, Blood & Truth from Sony, is no cheap effort either, etc... on top of the titles you mentioned.

There has been tons of PSVR content worth playing.
The worst thing for me is not having support for the PSVR natively in the PS5.
If you want to play NMS with PSVR you cannot upgrade it to the next-gen version because PSVR only works in backwards compatible games. That means two different saves also.

Also regarding your games list, Robinson is one of the games confirmed by Sony to not work in the PS5 🤦‍♂️

I hope they announce something soon about what their plans about VR are because currently it seems an afterthought and nothing else.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you want to play NMS with PSVR you cannot upgrade it to the next-gen version because PSVR only works in backwards compatible games. That means two different saves also.

Also regarding your games list, Robinson is one of the games confirmed by Sony to not work in the PS5 🤦‍♂️

I hope they announce something soon about what their plans about VR are because currently it seems an afterthought and nothing else.
I think Robinson will be fixed, that is what happens when you actually bother to use PS4 Pro VR capabilities well perhaps ;).

Yes, having the next generation NMS being a different SKU sucks... a must fix for the transition to PS6.

Last edited:

Gamerasi

Lol no worries. Glad you enjoyed your time with it! There are some other really good games on there besides those two. I definitely recommend checking out more PS4 VR titles before moving onto PS5 VR. Good luck!
I've also finished Blood & Truth and Moss. I also have an Oculus alternative on PC.
As I said, I'm looking forward to the PSVR 2. Thank you...

mckmas8808

Banned

This is stupid. Not sure how Sony screwed this up.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is stupid. Not sure how Sony screwed this up.
Yeah, this is crazy.

I get not wanting to make the same mistake MS did with mandatory Kinect at launch, too much at one time, thats why there is no major focus on PSVR2 right now.

But still. The camera I pre ordered is a paper weight now. Hopefully PSVR 2 will use it.
that's ok. according to sony fanboys Sony can do no wrong and psvr was a great success and better than other vr solutions

See above. Sony wanted to make sure there was no XBO Kinect situation. Good move on that part.

Last edited:
Overall vr sales shrank nearly 10% despite much cheaper offerings and now the market will automatically drop by another 20%...

Sorry my mistake i found 2020 results now...

ouch

This is a massive stretch. First all of these data points are a year old. “Overall nearly 10%” is actually 8% of the PC headsets. Overall sales grew in 2019 (Also many PC VR users buy a Quest for PC VR - I’m one of them). The “over 40%” sales drop refers to only two headsets in a single quarter, and one of those (the Quest) was sold out everywhere. The other was PSVR, a 3 year old product at the time. The only place you can find a sales decline is by looking at specific products or segments. The market is growing overall every year. Even the clickbait articles say as much if you read toward the end.

On top of all of this, after these articles were written in 2020 we had Covid, Half Life Alyx, and a $299 Quest 2.

Royal-Slime

Banned
Overall vr sales shrank nearly 10% despite much cheaper offerings and now the market will automatically drop by another 20%...

Things are more popular when they're mysterious and expensive. I remember all the people wanting Oculus Rift when it had first models.. and now it's so cheap (compared to original prices).

VR is very confusing so far. My PC is okay but I can't figure out which VR I should get since there's so many models. People won't get into VR for the same reason they don't want to deal with building or even buying a prebuilt PC - nobody needs that, especially when the only games VR has are arcade junk that will be forgotten in a year... scratch that, in a month. Half-Life so far is the only decent offering. RE 7 but you can finish that without VR.

I think VR might get a chance in the next generation (PS6) and Sony will start preparing in the middle of PS5 gen. If the graphics we can get on PS4 are almost life-like and if the open-world will finally be truly open and filled with details (not "press Y to collect garbage" every 2 meters)... Sony will need a new gimmick, and that will be VR. As of now it's too confusing, there are no games and it might cause health issues. No, thank you.

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
Yeah, this is crazy.

I get not wanting to make the same mistake MS did with mandatory Kinect at launch, too much at one time, thats why there is no major focus on PSVR2 right now.

But still. The camera I pre ordered is a paper weight now. Hopefully PSVR 2 will use it.

See above. Sony wanted to make sure there was no XBO Kinect situation. Good move on that part.
The camera is made for streamers and e-thots. It's written in the description of the camera :p

the_master

They didn't abandon VR. Devs will continue making PS4 PSVR games, and they will be playable on PS5 too. Sony also said they will continue supporting the PS4 for at least 2 or 3 years more. In fact all previous PS4 PSVR games run in PS5 with a couple of them as exception.

Sony basically confirmed that they are working on PSVR2 for PS5 but won't be released in the next couple of years, and that PS5 native games will use PSVR2 instead of PSVR1. So no PS5 native VR games for the next couple of years.

Until then it's fair to assume Sony will focus on boosting the PS5 launch window while also helping the PS4 with its last games and maybe some price cut. In 2-3 years from now, once PS5 achieved a great userbase and PS4 sales will be almost zero, it will be time to discontinue PS4 and PSVR and to release PSVR2 and PS5 VR games.
I wish you where right, but they did not confirm that at all.
They literally said that now it is not profitable, it may be in the future but it is not now, not next year nor even the next after that. Pretty bleak.
Not sure many devs will release PS4 only games, not sure anyone will buy PSVR to play on PS5, so it is dead now. We can still play it, a few games already in development may apear, but I doubt we'll see any major releases.
Not sure how much does this affect PCVR, since most VR games sold much more on PSVR and gave devs some profit. No PSVR means losing a massive chunk of sales.

Kerotan

If Sony wait until say holiday 2022 to launch the new headset it's going to be one hell of an upgrade over the first one. I'd prefer this approach.

Shmunter

If Sony wait until say holiday 2022 to launch the new headset it's going to be one hell of an upgrade over the first one. I'd prefer this approach.
No reason for tech to not be mostly ready now. Quest shows us inside out tracking. Wifi 6 is here to facilitate wireless low latency high bandwidth streaming. Ship it!

Last edited:
It’s clear why they’re doing this.

Why would gamers want to buy a PSVR2 unless it provided a clear upgrade in the visual experience alongside features?

By keeping VR titles as PS4 BC only, it means when they’re ready to launch PSVR2 it’ll be easier to market the new device as providing a clear and tangible upgrade.

It makes commercial sense. PSVR owners may not like it, but it’s clearly the best way to ensure the future success of PSVR2 by ensuring the distinction between generations is clearer... heck, the criticism against XSX/S prove that this distinction is important make clear.

Wonko_C

This was posted nearly two years ago:

What we're seeing right now is exactly that, yet some people are still overreacting with doom and glom. I don't expect PSVR2 until late 2022, which hopefully is enough time for at least some of the next-generation features (Wireless streaming from PS5, Eye Tracking, Foveated Rendering, wider FOV, etc.) they want to implement, at a reasonable cost. This isn't like PCVR where companies release headsets with small improvements all year long. The jump to PSVR2 will be a generational leap over its predecessor.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Sony have kicked VR into the long grass, and with sales of console hardware going gangbusters and manufacture unable to keep up they really don't need to mess around with another niche selling PSVR.

The idea that after letting support completely die and leaving PSVR game developers without any revenue stream for at least two years, they'd decide to try and resuscitate it? That would be a necrobump. I cant see it.

Kerotan

No reason for tech to not be mostly ready now. Quest shows us inside out tracking. Wifi 6 is here to facilitate wireless low latency high bandwidth streaming. Ship it!
Would other improvements could be made with an extra 18 months? Any other cool VR tech in the pipeline?

Agent X

It’s clear why they’re doing this.

Why would gamers want to buy a PSVR2 unless it provided a clear upgrade in the visual experience alongside features?

By keeping VR titles as PS4 BC only, it means when they’re ready to launch PSVR2 it’ll be easier to market the new device as providing a clear and tangible upgrade.

It makes commercial sense. PSVR owners may not like it, but it’s clearly the best way to ensure the future success of PSVR2 by ensuring the distinction between generations is clearer... heck, the criticism against XSX/S prove that this distinction is important make clear.

That's how I see it, too.

This strategy has also been used with other such "upgraded" peripherals, such as Kinect on Xbox 360 vs. Kinect on Xbox One. I've also heard that the Wii Remote was originally developed as a GameCube accessory, but Nintendo chose to hold it back because it would be easier to market it alongside their next system.

If Sony's next VR headset is made exclusive to PS5, then it's easier to market it as an upgrade.

That's how I see it, too.

This strategy has also been used with other such "upgraded" peripherals, such as Kinect on Xbox 360 vs. Kinect on Xbox One. I've also heard that the Wii Remote was originally developed as a GameCube accessory, but Nintendo chose to hold it back because it would be easier to market it alongside their next system.

If Sony's next VR headset is made exclusive to PS5, then it's easier to market it as an upgrade.
Exactly.

And so allowing devs to release free visual upgrades to existing PS4 VR games will simply diminish the impact of PSVR2 when they announce it.

Romulus

The idea that after letting support completely die and leaving PSVR game developers without any revenue stream for at least two years, they'd decide to try and resuscitate it? That would be a necrobump. I cant see it.

But everything they've said is exactly the opposite of what you're communicating here. Two of Sony's big wigs have mentioned the opposite.

Not only that, the PSVR1 needs to die. It was outdated when it released and still ended up the besting selling VR headset. Oculus has proven there is a formula that works, and that's wireless. The other thing is PS5 is projected to outsell PS4, so they have plenty of room to pursue most anything they like. And, a few PSVR games charted on the bestsellers list, so its not like the games don't sell. They just need modern VR hardware, which they've never had before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom