• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 games won't support VR, no support for at least 2 years.

Bankai

ForcefulLastHairstreakbutterfly-max-1mb.gif

I just hope there will be lots of "PS5 boost patches" for the existing PSVR games to take advantage of the extra horsepower - that would be enough for me for now :messenger_crying:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Like what barriers ?
PSVR is a lower barrier of entry compared to PC VR I'll concede that, however cost is a prohibitive barrier still. I have a hard time believing that Sony will create another iteration of PSVR that can take advantage of the new console hardware and sell it for $299.99 U.S. I'll be the cost to develop it would be higher as well so I'll bet they would try and sell it for much more. I'd imagine that most people do not want to pay the price of yet another console. So again, the select few will purchase this. Here are some numbers from The Verge from 2019 (basically under 5% of console owners purchased a psvr... that's not very good).

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/27/...old-sega-cd-kinect-comparison-ps4-playstation

There are other barriers as well (i.e. motion sickness issues), poor specs, poor in-game implementation, some people don't want to play with cables running along the floor, some view gaming as a social thing and don't want a helmet on their head, some would just rather have a controller, etc... Their market analysis and testing would have taken all this into account. Not to mention the barriers that could be in place manufacturing and developing this to begin with (i.e. obtaining quality materials at reasonable prices, workforce, etc...) as Covid-19 seems to ramp up again for the winter.

I don't know, I see barriers everywhere, including increased costs in general for consumers with respect to console gaming.

Resenge

some people don't want to play with cables running along the floor

The Oculus Quest 2 even with all the Facebook bad press is selling fast. The stand alone headset with no wires that plays PCVR wirelessly, so even though you do have a point and wireless VR is the way forward, it is already here.

PS5 has Wifi 6 and I think the majority of people do not own a Wifi 6 Router, why would Sony put that in the PS5 if Wifi 6 adoption is so rare? my guess is it's for wireless PSVR 2. It makes sense they want to perfect it before they release it.

poor specs, poor in-game implementation
Have you ever played VR, what do you mean Poor in-game implemention? VR motion controls are awesome. You can also play VR with a normal controller.

Their market analysis and testing would have taken all this into account.
Not to mention the barriers that could be in place manufacturing and developing this to begin with (i.e. obtaining quality materials at reasonable prices, workforce, etc...) as Covid-19 seems to ramp up again for the winter.
When you have to throw in an assumptions like this it shows just how weak your barriers to adoption argument is.

I don't know, I see barriers everywhere, including increased costs in general for consumers with respect to console gaming.

Sony has not dropped support for VR, the PS5 is fully compatible with the original PSVR headset and games are still being released for it like Hitman. The people here that are into VR and follow VR circles can see that VR adoption is increasing. I am not saying it is ready for the masses I just dissagree with people who just pretend to know how well VR is selling when in reality its selling better than you think.

Last edited:

Trunim

To be fair, they'd need to invest in games for both VR and also build their standard library for non-VR ps5. Can't do both and meet satisfactory levels. Why release new VR and no games to support it? They barely have games for ps5.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Lol dude you WANT psvr to die 😂 talk about writing on the wall. It’s written all in your posts that you have a pathetic desire to see it fail.
I, like the overwhelmingly large majority of people, couldn’t care less about it. Why would I want it to fail? I have no desire for it to fail. I’ve got a gaming pc that is made for VR out of the box, yet I don’t have a VR headset for it because it doesn’t interest me. Not everyone is a fanboy wanting someone to win and someone to lose. The fact you went straight there with nothing to back you up says more about your mindset than anything.

Resenge

I, like the overwhelmingly large majority of people, couldn’t care less about it. Why would I want it to fail? I have no desire for it to fail. I’ve got a gaming pc that is made for VR out of the box, yet I don’t have a VR headset for it because it doesn’t interest me. Not everyone is a fanboy wanting someone to win and someone to lose. The fact you went straight there with nothing to back you up says more about your mindset than anything.
"VR doesn't interest me, but trololing VR users is my fave pastime"

For someone who says VR doesnt interest you, you sure have a lot to say about it. I usually ignore threads about things that do not interest me, because of the no interest thing.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
"VR doesnt interest me, but trololing VR users is my fave pastime"

For someone who says VR doesnt interest you, you sure have a lot to say about it. I usually ignore threads about things that do not interest me.
So I’m not allowed to read topics that are posted and give my opinion? Even though I don’t care for VR, Sony potentially abandoning VR is a big story and I’m allowed to comment on it. Quit trying to gate-keep to try and have some VR safe space.

Resenge

So I’m not allowed to read topics that are posted and give my opinion? Even though I don’t care for VR, Sony potentially abandoning VR is a big story and I’m allowed to comment on it. Quit trying to gate-keep to try and have some VR safe space.
"I just want to say this thread has no interest for me, respect my opinion on a thread that does not interest me"

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's kinda sad how Sony is completely abandoning the technology for at least 2 years. Even if they plan to release PSVR2.0 a few years from now they shouldn't behave this way, but try to preserve the continuity.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It's kinda sad how Sony is completely abandoning the technology for at least 2 years. Even if they plan to release PSVR2.0 a few years from now they shouldn't behave this way, but try to preserve the continuity.
I think they are researching and prototyping, but not abandoning it.

I don't think it makes financial sense based on economic barriers among other barriers for them at the time.

Literally just under 5% of PS4 console owners purchased a PSVR headset for whatever reason.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I think they are researching and prototyping, but not abandoning it.

I don't think it makes financial sense based on economic barriers among other barriers for them at the time.

Literally just under 5% of PS4 console owners purchased a PSVR headset for whatever reason.
5% is still a pretty healthy number considering it's a pretty expensive piece of hardware (not counting massive sales) and it's a hard one to sell to people unaware what VR is. Not doing anything for 2+ years will not help VR grow, it may have an opposite effect on its long-term popularity.

Last edited:

splattered

What the actual fuck? I mean at least allow integration with 3rd party headsets and let devs choose to make ps5 VR games. Thats all I want from MS too. Ugh fuck these companies.

Shmunter

The Oculus Quest 2 even with all the Facebook bad press is selling fast. The stand alone headset with no wires that plays PCVR wirelessly, so even though you do have a point and wireless VR is the way forward, it is already here.

PS5 has Wifi 6 and I think the majority of people do not own a Wifi 6 Router, why would Sony put that in the PS5 if Wifi 6 adoption is so rare? my guess is it's for wireless PSVR 2. It makes sense they want to perfect it before they release it.

Have you ever played VR, what do you mean Poor in-game implemention? VR motion controls are awesome. You can also play VR with a normal controller.

When you have to throw in an assumptions like this it shows just how weak your barriers to adoption argument is.

Sony has not dropped support for VR, the PS5 is fully compatible with the original PSVR headset and games are still being released for it like Hitman. The people here that are into VR and follow VR circles can see that VR adoption is increasing. I am not saying it is ready for the masses I just dissagree with people who just pretend to know how well VR is selling when in reality its selling better than you think.
That’s interesting, has wifi6 sufficient bandwidth for uncompressed video?

Keihart

How would you get a PS5 VR game if there are no PS5 VR games? wtf is this about? PSVR it's supported in PS5 and there won't be PSVR2 for at least 2 years? that doesn't read the same...the amount of clickbait it's off the charts during war season.

Resenge

That’s interesting, has wifi6 sufficient bandwidth for uncompressed video?
I'm not the right person to answer that, sorry. My Quest 2 runs wireless PCVR better than I expected on a standard 5ghz. Good enough to be very playable and for me to consider not using my Rift S, so I am hoping that Sony or Oculus could make some improvents with Wifi 6 since the Quest is also Wifi 6 capable. I have a feeling Wifi 6 will have a key part to play in Wireless VR, but its just a guess.

Last edited:
we can say the the technology as it stands now is dead.

All it means is that the progress has been staggering for the past 4 years to the point psvr looks like a primitive flintstone tool, something Sony doesn't really wanted associated with their nextgen console and for which they're working on much better VR headset, just not ready to show

meanwhile, totally untethered, wireless, portable and high resolution VR with great tracking and hassle-free setup anywhere is available on Oculus Quest 2, either standalone or wirelessly hooked up to a pc for bigger games

this is an approach Sony might want to consider: to make psvr2 a standalone that might get hooked to PS5 for bigger games. Playstation Portable VR?

anyway, in about 2+ years we can expect big VR coming just as the release of psvr bought offerings from Bethesda, Ubisoft, 2K and others, for now I'm good with indies and some occasional support by bigger studios

DonJorginho

Banned
It had been assumed, up until recently, that PlayStation 5 games would be able to use the existing PlayStation VR headset for virtual reality experiences. That’s not the case, according to a Sony statement sent to UploadVR. In a bizarre and disappointing twist, the organisation has admitted that in order to experience titles like Hitman 3 with PSVR, you’ll need to be playing the backwards compatible PlayStation 4 version. A similar announcement was recently made for No Man’s Sky: Next Generation.

So what does this mean? Well, in the case of Hitman 3, it means that if you want to enjoy the PSVR experience, you’ll have to download the PS4 build to your PS5 rather than the native next-gen version. While it will benefit from improved loading times and more stable performance due to Game Boost, it obviously won’t have the visual improvements that will be available on PS5. It’s also a messy solution: it means in theory you may have to have two different versions of Hitman 3 installed on your console in order to enjoy the stealth title to its fullest.

Fortunately, both Hitman 3 and No Man’s Sky: Next Generation are offering free PS4 to PS5 upgrades, so you won’t be out of pocket here. Still, this does sound like an incredible clumsy scenario – especially after one developer announced a PSVR game for PS5 a few months back. When we asked the studio about it, a spokesperson told us: “I can't really comment other than saying, yes we will be on PS5, and no we don't intend to release on PS4.” Presumably those plans have now changed.

Speaking to the Washington Post earlier this week, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan indicated that his company still believes in virtual reality, and suggested that while the technology is yet to have its true mainstream moment, he believes it’ll come in the future: “We definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment. Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that.”

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
I think there is a thread about this...

... but it is absolute garbage news. Sony should have been transparent about this a year ago.

Shmunter

I'm not the right person to answer that, sorry. My Quest 2 runs wireless PCVR better than I expected on a standard 5ghz. Good enough to be very playable and for me to consider not using my Rift S, so I am hoping that Sony or Oculus could make some improvents with Wifi 6 since the Quest is also Wifi 6 capable. I have a feeling Wifi 6 will have a key part to play in Wireless VR, but its just a guess.
Had no idea that could be done. Will look into it

The PSVR screen is only 1920x1080 though.

that screen is often not getting used enough. Few games look awesome with supersampling and 90fps. Some games run at 720p 60fps. A few games like NMS or DC look awfully blurry at lower than 720p it seems - they apply enough AA to hide it...

so, that's it. Though PS5 is handling fine 4K 60fps in lots of games, that's sadly not translating into 1080p 120fps VR it seems. No need for PS5 for now, specially given psvr2 will probably be best served by PS5 Pro years ahead...

Shmunter

that screen is often not getting used enough. Few games look awesome with supersampling and 90fps. Some games run at 720p 60fps. A few games like NMS or DC look awfully blurry at lower than 720p it seems - they apply enough AA to hide it...

so, that's it. Though PS5 is handling fine 4K 60fps in lots of games, that's sadly not translating into 1080p 120fps VR it seems. No need for PS5 for now, specially given psvr2 will probably be best served by PS5 Pro years ahead...
Don’t stress. PSVR games will be PS4/pro/PS5 spec from here on in. - or my name ain’t shmunter

AGRacing

Gold Member

Absolutely correct - not even close to being utilized at full capacity - and if somehow they could bump the resolution higher than the screen res by 'super sampling' that would also be a benefit.

The PS4 Pro, in most high fidelity games - could not live up to the potential of that headset at all - and now they've effectively scrapped it for the potential it could have had for the next 2 years.

It is an absolute waste of their time - my time and money and some great VR experiences are going to be missed out on . It is a wrong move a lazy move and a stupid move.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's really odd considering they have gone out of their way to provide adapters and such for free to psvr owners. As well as saying, if I am remembering right, PSVR did not underperform. Taking a break on an entire market is not a good sign.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I’m disappointed. One things for certain. PSVR 2 better be wireless or at least have a wireless option.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
if Sony were really serious about VR this wouldn't be happening. they need to be supporting VR from day 1. we MIGHT get a PSVR2 at some point but it'll just be more of the same. crappy specs + very few games.

it's disappointing since sony is the only one who seemed to care about VR. we need both Sony + MS fully backing VR for it to really take off. I know it's doing great on PC but if we want it to become standard and get better games then this isn't the approach to take.

Last edited:

Romulus

if Sony were really serious about VR this wouldn't be happening. they need to be supporting VR from day 1. we MIGHT get a PSVR2 at some point but it'll just be more of the same. crappy specs + very few games.

it's disappointing since sony is the only one who seemed to care about VR. we need both Sony + MS fully backing VR for it to really take off. I know it's doing great on PC but if we want it to become standard and get better games then this isn't the approach to take.

This thought process doesn't make any sense. Release a $500 console and $500 peripheral at the same time lol

Wonko_C

Not releasing a new headset alongside the console doesn't mean new PSVR games aren't suddenly coming out anymore, or that Sony has stopped dead on its tracks. They'll just still be tied to PS4 and be playable on PS5 via backwards compatibility, until the new PS5-specific headset comes out.

Just because the PS5 console will be out in a month doesn't mean there won't be any PS4 games coming out for the next 2-3 years, we will be facing a cross-gen period like with the previous gen.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Just remember that the cheapest barrier to entry VR headset was released on the second best selling console of all time, and it still only sold to maybe 3% of the install base. That should be enough to tell people like you that no matter how much you think it’s the future of all video games, it’s not. It’s just not how people want to play games. The same way that people didn’t want to stand and waggle and swing their arms around fir the wii after the novelty wore off, and the same way people didn’t want to clear a 6ft area to jump around and flail about in for Kinect, they especially don’t want to have to do that with a bulky headset on with a cable attached to their console.

I'm one of the more enthusiasts about the vr experience, and it brought back an excitement and a marvel in games that I felt only as a kid and on some rare and special times with selected gaming masterpieces.
And still, I do not use it often. Why? In reality, I have a burning desire to do so, but there are still some barriers that prevent me to do so:

1)Motion sickness: I would spend hours into No Man's Sky VR alone, if only I would be able to not suffer from MS. And it's a game that only triggers it relatively lightly.
2)Bulky headset and cables: still far too big and after some time can be uncomfortable (especially in summer).
3)Lack of dedicated controllers with both analogic sticks and hand tracking to allow picking, pushing, pulling, rotating, etc. in order to magnify interaction with the virtual environment at an exponential level compared to now.
4)Lack of the big games that I want (although there are few great experiences that alone are worth the experience).

And kinect's gesture control has nothing to do with vr. VR is a means of immersion and interaction, but controls can still be the very same of usual. Or, if you want, you can ADD more layers of controls that take in account the depth in space and all the above mentioned movements. But while on kinect you simply mimic a movement to trigger a fixed response (or motion track a body movement in space), in VR you do directly the action on the virtual environment; there's no mimicking, unless the developer wants it for some reason.

So, you can be the greatest enthusiast of vr, but every enthusiast is eagerly awaiting the fall of all the barriers to a simple and accessible VR.
And I have great hope on PSVR2 on that regard (to be a big leap in most or all of those points). For that reason I'm quite pissed by the statement of Ryan, that puts PSVR2 at least one year past the date I was hoping to buy it.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
5% is still a pretty healthy number considering it's a pretty expensive piece of hardware (not counting massive sales) and it's a hard one to sell to people unaware what VR is. Not doing anything for 2+ years will not help VR grow, it may have an opposite effect on its long-term popularity.
Less than 5% is not a healthy number, and it shows the market and consumer interest is just not there atm.

Top Bottom