• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 games won't support VR, no support for at least 2 years.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Really surprising.

If anything, with their success with it, and the fact that VR has stuck around and gotten better if anything, I really expected them to go all-in. The PS5 aesthetics even mirror the old headset.

Have sales for VR not looked good recently, or something?

pixelation

Sooo... does that mean that we're not gonna get new PSVR games until they put out the PSVR2?, because that would REALLY suck. I am cool if they keep releasing new PSVR games (for PS4) that also run on PS5 with super-sampling, better textures, better loading times... better all.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds like they are treating it like any other cycle.

6 years to the new shiny? Sure!

Let PCVR work out the kinks.
If Sony wants to take it's time making PS5 VR games for PSVR 2, then go ahead. Makes sense in a way, although they should have at least told gamers instead of spilling the beans 2 weeks from launch and after all the prer-orders have loaded up.

The weirder omission is that in order to play PSVR on PS5 you need the free dongle (ok), and you need to play the PS4 version. If a studio has a PS5 version to sell independently from the PS4 version (no Smart Delivery system to do it for you), VR gamers have to know to get the PS4 version, and ignore the upgraded PS5 version.

Good luck having gamers figure that out.

gspat

If Sony wants to take it's time making PS5 VR games for PSVR 2, then go ahead. Makes sense in a way, although they should have at least told gamers instead of spilling the beans 2 weeks from launch and after all the prer-orders have loaded up.

The weirder omission is that in order to play PSVR on PS5 you need the free dongle (ok), and you need to play the PS4 version. If a studio has a PS5 version to sell independently from the PS4 version (no Smart Delivery system to do it for you), VR gamers have to know to get the PS4 version, and ignore the upgraded PS5 version.

Good luck having gamers figure that out.
Luckily, not all gamers are the drooling idiots you make them out to be.

This isn't rocket science, it's gaming.

People really thought that Sony would release a 400/500 peripheral on a 400/500 machine? LOL
I know that early adopter spend money, but they are a little part of the market. VR is still small, you can't ask a 1000$ ticket, it's too much for everything that's not niche. Sony VR Project is and will be the "mainstream" offering.

I just ask for patches to play PS4 VR games on PS5 with higher resolutions and frame rates. RE7 would be crazy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sooo... does that mean that we're not gonna get new PSVR games until they put out the PSVR2?, because that would REALLY suck. I am cool if they keep releasing new PSVR games (for PS4) that also run on PS5 with super-sampling, better textures, better loading times... better all.
I don't think so. Unless every VR studio does a dead stop, I'm going to assume more PSVR games will come out.

But they will be capped at PS4 compatibility. So if you have a PS5 with the current PSVR, you got to make sure the version you buy is the PS4 version, so the game and PSVR act as PS4 BC mode. If a studio releases a game on PS5 with VR elements and doesn't have some kind of Smart Delivery system or free PS4/PS5 interchangeable access, that distinct PS5 game will not have BC with PSVR.

Shmunter

I don't think so. Unless every VR studio does a dead stop, I'm going to assume more PSVR games will come out.

But they will be capped at PS4 compatibility. So if you have a PS5 with the current PSVR, you got to make sure the version you buy is the PS4 version, so the game and PSVR act as PS4 BC mode. If a studio releases a game on PS5 with VR elements and doesn't have some kind of Smart Delivery system or free PS4/PS5 interchangeable access, that distinct PS5 game will not have BC with PSVR.
What kind of logic would compel devs to release games that cannot work on the system?

JimiNutz

Banned
This is disappointing news for me as I was hoping to see some cross gen games with PSVR support.

Hopefully PSVR2 is still coming within the next few years and this isn't the end of Sony's VR experiment.

Wonko_C

I was wondering how would Sony deal with PS5-specific VR games and if they were going to be compatible with both PSVR and the eventual PSVR2, and I guess this is the best approach: Just don't release any until their next-gen headset is ready.

Having to keep next-gen VR games compatible with both the new and old headset would mean a lot of extra-work and compromises at best (or just not possible at worst), since the new headset will most likely use inside-out tracking, be wireless, and the controllers will be light years ahead of the Move controllers.

It's best to just wipe the slate clean and leave PSVR games on PS4 (and on PS5 via backwards compatibility), then native PS5VR games on the new headset, for an uncompromised experience.

I'm just talking out of my ass, though. If they really will just abandon VR, which I seriously doubt, with all the constant patenting and prototyping they're doing, I'll jump ship to Oculus Quest 2. Flat gaming just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I still play my PSVR, SW Squadrons was great, so I'm pretty bummed to hear this. My hope is that the popularity of VR on PC will convince Sony to accelerate their plans to bring it to the PS5.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was wondering how would Sony deal with PS5-specific VR games and if they were going to be compatible with both PSVR and the eventual PSVR2, and I guess this is the best approach: Just don't release any until their next-gen headset is ready.

Having to keep next-gen VR games compatible with both the new and old headset would mean a lot of extra-work and compromises at best (or just not possible at worst), since the new headset will most likely use inside-out tracking, be wireless, and the controllers will be light years ahead of the Move controllers.

It's best to just wipe the slate clean and leave PSVR games on PS4 (and on PS5 via backwards compatibility), then native PS5VR games on the new headset, for an uncompromised experience.

I'm just talking out of my ass, though. If they really will just abandon VR, which I seriously doubt, with all the constant patenting and prototyping they're doing, I'll jump ship to Oculus Quest 2. Flat gaming just doesn't do it for me anymore.
It depends on the gamer. Kind of like consoles.

Some gamers expect next gen consoles to be BC because of all the digital games. But some gamers don't care if there is a hard cut off so everything you play are brand new next gen games only.

As for PSVR, same thing. Some expect PSVR2 to be BC with old stuff. But some don't mind if it's a hard transition.

The problem is PS5 as a whole can't play PSVR games unless you have the dongle and the VR game you have is the PS4 version. There is no PS5 version. So when you buy a new PS5 game where the PS4 version has PSVR features, if you want to play the VR modes, you have to make sure the copy you buy includes the PS4 version.

It sounds like if a studio has two distinct copies of a game with no free upgrades or crossbuy or whatever to cover you, that if you go with a distinct PS5 version, there will be no PSVR modes. Even though you might think it would be a BC thing that comes with it like the distinct PS4 version.

It's kind of confusing.

I'm going to assume that if a studio sells a game that is completely crossbuy with free upgrade files that you should be covered. But you'll have to know that on a game by game basis.

Shmunter

Disagree. Why not build for psvr1 peripherals using PS5 computing power. Certainly many PSVR owners would throw money at such titles. The market is there, and leaving it untapped for 2 years rings foolish..

When PSVR2 comes out, devs can update their games for new peripherals or leave as is ,under premise of new peripherals being back compatible with the old games.

It has been reported new PSVR packages come with adapter included, meaning it is being sold as PS4/PS5 VR.

If the above doesn’t materialise I will be very surprised.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
2 years out? He said not this year or next year. So that means 2 years out? But then he said at some point.

He didnt say "in 2 years" they will be making vr games.

Rien

Jelly Belly
That is such a Sony thing to do lol.. very weird.. admitted I haven’t hooked up my VR set for more then a year so it’s not really a selling point for me but still very weird

lekain

Neo Member
Highly misleading title. No way will Sony drop vr on PS5, there will be native ps5 games, they are just juggling too many things atm

Self

Quite frankly, this is very disappointing by Sony. I know quite some people who love to play VR games and hoped that the PS5 would accelerate their experience.

A bad decision Mr. Ryan.

fermcr

VR has been the next big thing since the 1980's/1990's, and, it never took off.
Unless something completely mind-blowing happens with VR, it's basically dead... people simply refuse to accept it.

Last edited:

Sweep14

VR is dead just because Sony is temporarily dropping it? That's the hottest of all hot takes I've seen lately.

VR is HUGE on PC right now and its adoption rate will only get higher.

I read this as PSVR 2 not being ready until 2022, no PS5 SDK yet available for it and no plan to port the current PS4 VR SDK on PS5.

Oooof.

The PS5 keeps taking hits this week. Lots of things have been said that weren’t exactly true though so everyone needs to just wait and see.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Everyone that got a PSVR loves the shit out of it. Sony knows it, bright future ahead. Print and bury.

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
Implementing the necessary technologies so that the VR user is totally comfortable with the technology so much that they never want to play in another way again takes a while. Sony has not abandoned VR at all but is taking it to another level. And honestly, I hope it works and succeeds, because technology promises.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not realu into VR or anything, but it seems like they have better places to spend their resources. I guess Jim Ryan kinda hinted this was possible. Now that Oculus has a $300 headset, I mean maybe Microsoft will jump in, but I doubt it highly.

vkbest

This is completely mind boggling. Just yesterday Sony sent put out out a memo to all PS4 owners upgrading to PS5, asking them to order a PSVR camera adapter for the PS5.
The following day they're announcing that VR support is dead on Playstation until 2022? How coherent is that?
I'm tempted to just dump my PSVR. I tried hard to give it a try because I could afford to but I won't have that giant helmet and all those cables sit in a corner of my living room for the next 2 years while we hope that Sony decides to resume the support. I can't believe they're rewarding people who bought a PS5 by asking them to download 2 versions of the same game. Like we can afford to do that at all on that 600GB storage we're getting with the console.
Just tell us you're dropping it Sony, it would be easier to digest than what I've just read. That's a spit in the face of loyal customers.

It’s simple, Sony is making a PSVR2 what will not need camera, dualsense don’t have the leds you need for camera, so they are dropping support PSVR out of BC games. Anyway, I think this move will kill VR on PS5

at least games such as Hitman should be free when you buy the other version

Last edited:

Kev Kev

That’s one very hopeful way of seeing this. Unfortunately the more likely scenario is that Sony are done with VR no, at least until there’s a big VR breakthrough that gets rid of sickness, big headsets, tethers, and all the other things that make the general public not care about it.
Lol dude you WANT psvr to die 😂 talk about writing on the wall. It’s written all in your posts that you have a pathetic desire to see it fail.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Appparently Jim Ryan and others at Sony now realise that too.

Just remember that the cheapest barrier to entry VR headset was released on the second best selling console of all time, and it still only sold to maybe 3% of the install base.

I've said it before in another thread, but VR is a niche product. There are too many barriers of entry to be largely profitable at this time.

Looks like Sony corp. agrees.

Kev Kev

WTF does MS have to do with it... Why throw in that little tidbit...
Lol exactly

it’s gaming side. It’s full of children and fuck boys who just want to console war and Try to cut the other side down. Senseless and waste of time.

Honestly getting tired of this shit. I already ignored the entirety of politics GAF bc of the election... I can’t ignore gaming side though, bc there literally isn’t a button for it. Jfc, I can’t wait till we get a year or so out after consoles release, then maybe we can have a little bit less of this. Orwe could have a forum specifically dedicated to console waring right now! There’s an idea...

I will never understand wanting to see something fail. It’s such a sad way to live your life. Gotta peace out of this thread, the console war babies have set up camp. ✌️

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Qu3Ojim.gif

Really not surprising. Always said it was niche.

But sounds like Sony might support it again after two years. It's probably because they are making psvr 2.0. So prepare to start up your savings just in case.

Luckily, not all gamers are the drooling idiots you make them out to be.

This isn't rocket science, it's gaming.

And yet a big chunk of gamers are saying a PC is complicated because you have to press a power button and click on a icon on your desktop.

How are these idiots going to figure out to use the next gen be sets if they can't even manage to use a PC?

Last edited:

Skyfox

This makes no sense with the adaptor program.

This is a unique selling point for me me and I'm fucking PISSED star trek vr won't work on my ps5.

FunkMiller

Wired VR: will die soon.

Wireless VR: won’t.

Sony are probably working on wireless PSVR 2, which will take a while to sort out. Why would they keep making games for a four year old, obsolete platform?

OP clearly has an anti VR agenda in general, as do others posting here. They probably get too sick to use it, or can’t for other reasons. Those are the only people who get salty over it.

Last edited:

Robins

It's not surprising. Sony will barley be able to manufacture enough PS5 units the first year or two.

Releasing a PSVR 2 so close to PS5 would split resources. Plus releasing in another 2 years should ensure a true next gen upgrade for VR.

Not sure why you wouldn't let new PSVR games be made though.

killatopak

Gold Member
VR is definitely not dead.

Touch screen PDAs existed long before iPhone but everybody thought it was some brand new thing.

All VR needs is a very disruptive model or application. Clearly the technology isn’t ready yet for the price the majority of consumers are comfortable with.

kuncol02

Banned
Just remember that the cheapest barrier to entry VR headset was released on the second best selling console of all time, and it still only sold to maybe 3% of the install base.
It's not cheapest, but for sure is most crappy, it's tracking is abysmal. If you count whole set then Quest is much cheaper and if you count only headset then there were WMR ones sold cheaper.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Well yeah PS5 does VR via PS4 back compat. There is no native PS5 VR yet lmao. 2 or 3 years until the big headset comes out is expected.
Let PS5 release and pick up steam, then deliver a next-gen VR experience.
We're waiting patiently.

Grinchy

Banned
This doesn't sound right. I'll wait for Sony to speak up first.

This seems like the only logical stance at the moment. Major leaps seem to be getting made based on vague original statements.

Reading what Jim Ryan actually said in the OP, he's saying he thinks "VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment" in a few years. He did not say they aren't releasing a headset until year 3. Yet that's how it's being talked about here as if it were some concrete statement.

The stuff about PSVR support only being through backwards compatibility is also a weird one. From what I saw, it seems to stem from some Sony spokesperson saying something vague like "we have not announced our plans..." Combining that with some weird wording about a game or two, we have this new "concrete statement" about how we will never see new PS5 games or PS5 enhanced games ever running with PSVR1.

It could just be that we are in an embargoed phase where no one can talk about PS5-PSVR1 stuff yet. They have meticulously planned out when people can open a box, when they can show specific games, ect, so it's not insane to think there is a time for them to tell us more about PSVR functionality. Posted earlier in this thread is a game called Low Fi that supposedly is a PS5-PSVR1 game. I think it'll be best to wait until real clarification before everyone jumps on the assumption train.

Top Bottom