• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 games won't support VR, no support for at least 2 years.

Lort

Banned
The PS5 upgraded games will no longer support PSVR and so users will have to buy the PS4 version and play that instead, also no PSVR for PS5 for at least 2 years.
This is pretty disappointing for a lot of users, i liked VR and was eagerly awaiting true high def wireless headsets.

IT seems MS made the right call, with Sony having no interest in VR for at least 2 years we can say the the technology as it stands now is dead.

This is disappointing as PS4 games on PS5 could have easily supported higher frame rates as well as better graphics.

So, if you’re getting a PS5 in the next few weeks and are excited to try PSVR on the console, you’ll want to make sure you buy the PS4 versions of PSVR-supported games if you want to try them on the headset. If you buy the PS5 versions you won’t find the PSVR support listed.

Fortunately, both Hitman 3 and No Man’s Sky do have free upgrade plans; anyone that owns No Man’s Sky will get to upgrade to next-gen consoles for free and gets to take their save data over, too. You have to buy Hitman 3 on PS4 digitally to qualify for a free PS5 upgrade, meanwhile – you can’t upgrade from the physical edition. That doesn’t guarantee the reverse, however. In other words,

Cross-generation save features should mean you could install both versions of the game on PS5, access the PS4 version when you want VR and the PS5 version when you want to play flat-screen, and then share your progress between the two, but we haven’t tried this for ourselves. What’s not clear, however, is if IO Interactive and Hello Games might offer free downgrades to PS4 for anyone that wants to play on PSVR. According to PlayStation, that’s a developer-by-developer decision.

This news comes shortly after Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan’s comments about the future of VR to The Washington Post. “PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment,” Ryan said. “Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that.”

These comments make it seem like we won’t be seeing a true PSVR 2 that supports PS5 games directly until 2022 at the very earliest.

Reallink

hahahahahahahahaha no

i do agree with this tho. hopefully MS comes out with a headset

Well I mean it's certainly dead on Playstation. There's clearly a policy in place banning support on PS5 games, there's no way I/O or Hello did all that work to voluntarily fuck themselves. You think anybody's going to make PSVR games after PS5 launches? Come'on man, it's dead.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Well I mean it's certainly dead on Playstation. There's clearly a policy in place banning support on PS5 games, there's no way I/O or Hello did all that work to voluntarily fucked themselves.
im just saying the technology is not dead. vr is alive and well, aand has a big future. wnting it to die is this weird juvenile mind set that people have bc.... bc.... i dont know bc theyre fucking retarded. but the tech is no where near dead. PS may sit this one out but that doesnt mean its dead.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
VR is dead just because Sony is temporarily dropping it? That's the hottest of all hot takes I've seen lately.

VR is HUGE on PC right now and its adoption rate will only get higher.

Overall vr sales shrank nearly 10% despite much cheaper offerings and now the market will automatically drop by another 20%...

Redlight

That's disappointing. If anyone was going to have success in driving mainstream adoption it was Sony. I've half expected MS to make some announcement alongside Valve but I guess that's super unlikely now.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Disappointed but still shilling for Sony's awful decision by saying it's the right one by proclaiming the tech is dead, lmao. How pathetic can you fanboys get? You can even criticize your loved ones, never mind a shitty company that doesn't care about you, come on. Sheesh.

Anyway, 2 years isn't long, especially with how limited stock will be initially, barely anyone will have a next gen console, seems about right to start introducing peripherals, just silly to frame it as something that is due to the VR medium coming short or anything of the sort.

Last edited:
35lqnh5xrfb51.png

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Well I mean it's certainly dead on Playstation. There's clearly a policy in place banning support on PS5 games, there's no way I/O or Hello did all that work to voluntarily fuck themselves. You think anybody's going to make PSVR games after PS5 launches? Come'on man, it's dead.

I don’t think it will be a lot, but there are some games in the pipeline right now. Most developers will wait for PSVR2. PSVR is really long in the tooth, with its terrible move controllers and camera tracking.

Kev Kev

The hell? This seems like a pretty important thing that should be announced officially and not as an email to a site i've never heard of before
theres also this. not 100% convinced its confirmed yet. gonna give it some more time. thers a lot of bull shit swirling round out there, and a lot of fuckin weirdos who want vr to fail for whatever reason

Banned
i do agree with this tho. hopefully MS comes out with a headset

if anything they will make a deal with an existing manufacturer to make their device compatible. maybe they will make certain certified "Windows Mixed Reality" Headsets compatible like the Samsung Odyssey+, which is apparently a really good entry level headset with decent tracking.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

if anything they will make a deal with an existing manufacturer to make their device compatible. maybe they will make certain certified "Windows Mixed Reality" Headsets compatible like the Samsung Odyssey, which is apparently a really good entry level headset with decent tracking.
i really hope they do something thats compatible with the xsx. im tired of sony's bullshit. what with the move controllers being out of stock, lack of news and communication of vr in general, and other bullshit. i want to see what ms has to offer,even if they jsut make a headset complatible. maybe itll be better than psvr

Pantz

Gold Member
What a botch. I had really hoped for PS5 or even XSX to come with a second HDMI port so you could hook VR directly to it. Maybe PSVR 2 will be wireless.

So this is just for games that have a PS5 version and a PS4 version, that also had a PSVR mode on PS4?

But actual PSVR games will still work, in fact Sony will give you the adapter required to get the headset working on PS5 for free even.

So while it sucks for the half dozen titles effected, it's not like they're dropping support for PSVR, which will likely be better than ever on PS5, and, by the sounds of it, they've all but confirmed PSVR2 in 2022, which is a lot sooner than I'd feared.

This all seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill quite honestly.

Njocky

Banned
This is completely mind boggling. Just yesterday Sony sent put out out a memo to all PS4 owners upgrading to PS5, asking them to order a PSVR camera adapter for the PS5.
The following day they're announcing that VR support is dead on Playstation until 2022? How coherent is that?
I'm tempted to just dump my PSVR. I tried hard to give it a try because I could afford to but I won't have that giant helmet and all those cables sit in a corner of my living room for the next 2 years while we hope that Sony decides to resume the support. I can't believe they're rewarding people who bought a PS5 by asking them to download 2 versions of the same game. Like we can afford to do that at all on that 600GB storage we're getting with the console.
Just tell us you're dropping it Sony, it would be easier to digest than what I've just read. That's a spit in the face of loyal customers.

Njocky

Banned
So this is just for games that have a PS5 version and a PS4 version, that also had a PSVR mode on PS4?

But actual PSVR games will still work, in fact Sony will give you the adapter required to get the headset working on PS5 for free even.

So while it sucks for the half dozen titles effected, it's not like they're dropping support for PSVR, which will likely be better than ever on PS5, and, by the sounds of it, they've all but confirmed PSVR2 in 2022, which is a lot sooner than I'd feared.

This all seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill quite honestly.
What drug are you on? There's no such thing as just a PSVR game. There are PS4 and PS5 games that are PSVR compatible. And we were just told that the second group will probably only be limited to 2 games. Some of you guys could get punched in the nuts by Jim Ryan and you would wince then turn around and ask for a kick in the ass just for the road.
"So, if you’re getting a PS5 in the next few weeks and are excited to try PSVR on the console, you’ll want to make sure you buy the PS4 versions of PSVR-supported games if you want to try them on the headset. If you buy the PS5 versions you won’t find the PSVR support listed. "
What part of that did you not understand?

Last edited:

mango drank

Maybe they're waiting for a good price-to-features balance for PSVR2. Don't want to release a feature-packed $1k headset (with low margins) that tanks in 2020, when they can release a similar $500 headset (with high margins) 2 years later and sell millions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

mcjmetroid

I feel like this is being downplayed in this thread.

We had plenty of thread arguing about the legitimacy of PSVR and now we're supposed to believe that most reactions are " oh well shucks".

2 years is a very long time for the tech that is young on playstation. Obviously the intention will be to sell a new VR set and that's not going to be easy for them after this.

Good god they kept promoting PSVR constantly for the past 2 years.
I'm very surprised to hear it's taken a further backseat.

Last edited:
What drug are you on? There's no such thing as just a PSVR game. There are PS4 and PS5 games that are PSVR compatible. And we were just told that the second group will probably only be limited to 2 games. Some of you guys could get punched in the nuts by Jim Ryan and you would wince then turn around and ask for a kick in the ass just for the road.
"So, if you’re getting a PS5 in the next few weeks and are excited to try PSVR on the console, you’ll want to make sure you buy the PS4 versions of PSVR-supported games if you want to try them on the headset. If you buy the PS5 versions you won’t find the PSVR support listed. "
What part of that did you not understand?
There are plenty of PSVR only games, that cannot be played at all without a PSVR headset. Sure, they're also PS4 games, but if you don't have a PSVR, they simply won't work.

The article is saying that PS5 games won't have support for VR, even if they're a upgrad of a PS4 game. So stuff like Hitman 3 and No Man's Sky PS5 won't have the VR mode the PS4 version had for a couple of years.

But actual PSVR games (which yes, are PS4 games too, even if they won't work with just a PS4) and PS4 games without a PS5 upgrade, but that are backwards compatible, and have a VR mode, will still work, hence the adapter Sony is giving away.

So if you want to play Astrobot, Moss or Skyrim VR, you'll be fine (assuming they are backwards compatible, which nothing in the article alludes to not being the case).

SkylineRKR

I like VR but I almost never use it, simply because its cumbersome. I think VR will never be a tremendous success. Its mostly cool for rail shooters like Rez, or some outliers like RE7 (but I ended up playing that in 2D for more anyway). The other games I care less about. Its cool for short bursts though.

I think PSVR would be less of a hassle for me if it was a wireless headset, without that breakout box. As it stands, well, I don't think I ever see VR games on the charts. I think Sony isn't going to focus on VR for PS5. It makes no sense for them, VR market isn't expanding and games don't really sell. I think PS4 VR is all we get on PS5.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Wow those comments from Jim definitely make it sound like they were not at all happy with how the PSVR sold, no matter how much Vr GAF has tried to say it sold above their actual expectations, and are essentially putting it on hold for the immediate future.

MS proving again that they were right to just take the wait and see approach, like they were with the other niche format that Sony tried to push, 3D. VR is just too limiting, so anti-social, and too demanding for the general public to care about.

im just saying the technology is not dead. vr is alive and well, aand has a big future. wnting it to die is this weird juvenile mind set that people have bc.... bc.... i dont know bc theyre fucking retarded. but the tech is no where near dead. PS may sit this one out but that doesnt mean its dead.
Saying it’sa dead or niche format isn’t the same as wanting it to die. No one wants it to disappear, but some of its have been around long enough to know when it’s not going to take off. Apparently Jim Ryan and others at Sony now realise that too.

Just remember that the cheapest barrier to entry VR headset was released on the second best selling console of all time, and it still only sold to maybe 3% of the install base. That should be enough to tell people like you that no matter how much you think it’s the future of all video games, it’s not. It’s just not how people want to play games. The same way that people didn’t want to stand and waggle and swing their arms around fir the wii after the novelty wore off, and the same way people didn’t want to clear a 6ft area to jump around and flail about in for Kinect, they especially don’t want to have to do that with a bulky headset on with a cable attached to their console.

“Gamers” want to sit on their lounge or desk and play games with a controller or mouse and keyboard. Always have, always will.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
what with the move controllers being out of stock, lack of news and communication of vr in general, and other bullshit.

What’s with it? This thread just told you exactly why they’re out of stock, there’s no news, and no communication of Vr by them lol. They’re taking it out behind the barn.

I feel like this is being downplayed in this thread.

We had plenty of thread arguing about the legitimacy of PSVR and now we're supposed to believe that most reactions are " oh well shucks".

2 years is a very long time for the tech that is young on playstation. Obviously the intention will be to sell a new VR set and that's not going to be easy for them after this.

Good god they kept promoting PSVR constantly for the past 2 years.
I'm very surprised to hear it's taken a further backseat.
Pretty sure they gave 3D about a 2 year massive push, promoting it everywhere, even going so far as basically having an entire e3 be almost entirely about 3D, before they gave up. Seems they’ve now done the same for VR after they’ve realised that people just don’t care. What did they ship at last announcement, 5 million PSVR headsets, when there were > 100 million PS4s? Yeh not hard to see why they’re dropping it.

Last edited:

Kagero

I’ve moved on to the oculus2. This is perfect news for me. I’ll be due for an upgrade in two years I think, and if Sony is there. I’ll be getting a wireless 4K psvr2.

Luckily I have a lot of PSVR titles to try on my PS5. I just hope the boost makes them look a little better. Blood & Truth is actually pretty damn fun.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nice news by Sony with PS5 out in 2 weeks.

This PSVR doesn't even seem to make sense to buy the PS4 version if you want to keep playing.

If you bought a PS5 and have the game it should be BC so it works. But if you are starting fresh with PSVR and buy games, you can't just buy the latest version and the BC in it automatically works for VR like buying a non-VR game where it works anyway?

Werid shit.

How is anyone going to know this?

Last edited:

Njocky

Banned
There are plenty of PSVR only games, that cannot be played at all without a PSVR headset. Sure, they're also PS4 games, but if you don't have a PSVR, they simply won't work.

The article is saying that PS5 games won't have support for VR, even if they're a upgrad of a PS4 game. So stuff like Hitman 3 and No Man's Sky PS5 won't have the VR mode the PS4 version had for a couple of years.

But actual PSVR games (which yes, are PS4 games too, even if they won't work with just a PS4) and PS4 games without a PS5 upgrade, but that are backwards compatible, and have a VR mode, will still work, hence the adapter Sony is giving away.

So if you want to play Astrobot, Moss or Skyrim VR, you'll be fine (assuming they are backwards compatible, which nothing in the article alludes to not being the case).
Sorry but I don't understand how anybody having invested into a PSVR helmet can spin the news that there won't be PSVR games on PS5 into somehow some good news. This is an interruption of service.
"Thanks for buying a PSVR, a PS4 and now a PS5 but we won't make new PSVR games. And the ones that you have, don't expect any upgrades for them, as a matter of fact you will need them in their PS4 form on your tiny SSD to be able to play them. Good luck".
That sums up Sony's message and if you guys wanna throw a celebration I'll just have not to show up.

Last edited:
Sony is obviously looking to focus on pushing the PS5 for awhile before shifting back to native VR support for it. Two years will not only allow them to come out with a much better, cheaper headset, but it will also mark them discontinuing support for the PS4. That doesn't mean they are abandoning it. There will still be plenty of VR games that are coming out on PS4 that will be playable on PS5. Sony wouldn't be losing millions on making and shipping PSVR adapters for the PS5 if they were abandoning the tech.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Sony is obviously looking to focus on pushing the PS5 for awhile before shifting back to native VR support for it. Two years will not only allow them to come out with a much better, cheaper headset, but it will also mark them discontinuing support for the PS4. That doesn't mean they are abandoning it. There will still be plenty of VR games that are coming out on PS4 that will be playable on PS5. Sony wouldn't be losing millions on making and shipping PSVR adapters for the PS5 if they were abandoning the tech.
That’s one very hopeful way of seeing this. Unfortunately the more likely scenario is that Sony are done with VR no, at least until there’s a big VR breakthrough that gets rid of sickness, big headsets, tethers, and all the other things that make the general public not care about it.

Top Bottom