• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 game price discount (or lack thereof)

I've been hearing a lot of comments about next-gen games and waiting for them to drop in price after a couple months.

I believe a lot of you are in for a rude awakening. I think publishers, especially Sony, are making a deliberate effort to games at or near full price for significantly longer than this last generation.

It's early, but if you look at PS5 exclusives, such as Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Sackboy, etc they're all still full price, nearly 6 months after release. I don't expect that to change anytime soon. Same for Returnal and upcoming games like Ratchet and Clank and Horizon Forbidden West.

I'd be happy to be wrong (although, I'll buy these games day one regardless). But, I have a very strong feeling PS5 game prices years after release will start to more resemble Nintendo prices more than past PlayStation consoles.

Do you agree or disagree?

ManaByte

I believe a lot of you are in for a rude awakening. I think publishers, especially Sony, are making a deliberate effort to games at or near full price for significantly longer than this last generation.

You can get most of the PS5 launch titles for a good discount already.

It's early, but if you look at PS5 exclusives, such as Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Sackboy, etc they're all still full price, nearly 6 months after release.

Maybe on PlayStation Direct. But thankfully people don't limit their purchases to that one place.

Last edited:

NickFire

Completely disagree. Reason 1 is that would reduce Sony's gross revenues in future years. Of course they want to charge 70 as much as possible, but when they can make more with a sale they will hold a sale. Reason 2 is that the current time period is an absolute anomaly. Sony knows fully well there are limited next gen options, and every few days (or weeks) a fresh batch of excited console purchasers will be buying the available games just to have next gen games to play. But this will not always be the case, and eventually there will be freely available consoles and a ton of software to pick from.

As an aside, Nintendo pricing is almost apples to oranges IMO. The quality gulf between first and 3rd party software far exceeds the other consoles.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Considering they are selling the PS5 at a loss, it stands to reason they'll seek to maximize the profits on software and related. Whether or not the maximization point is at full price for year, full price for a year or full price for 3 months is hard to say, but I'm sure Sony have people crunching the numbers daily.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You can get most of the PS5 launch titles for a good discount already.

Maybe on PlayStation Direct. But thankfully people don't limit their purchases to that one place.
Nah. I was just at Walmart today to buy Returnal (sometimes they sell games for $10 off if you buy in store) and both Demon Souls and Spiderman Miles were $70. It caught my by surprise.

Went to Gamestop later today and saw the same thing there.

Just googled it, and bestbuy and target both have them for $70 still. The only place where you can get them cheaper are ebay. Where did you see them for discounts?

NeilH1982

Banned
Miles Morales was 45 Euros over Easter in Europe, Demon's souls lowest price was 50 Euros. I don't know what to tell you 🤷‍♂️

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Follow CAG and Wario64 on Twitter. This was back in Dec for $50:

But I saw it for $40 once.

Yeah, christmas sales are different though. Ive seen Nintendo games go on sale during the holidays.

This is different. You can see that the game is full price on this website as of today. I think Sony has realized that people willing to pay full price for this game still havent been able to buy the console. I wouldve figured DS to go on sale first since it didnt exactly light the charts on fire like Miles, but Sony must be happy with the numbers to keep it at that price point.

Like I said above, they are just trying to be Nintendo.

JaksGhost

It's going to depend on the retailer. In Texas we have grocery stores called H-E-B and they have Plus variants that include electronic sections. Just this week I saw most of the PS5 games discounted to $52 with some of the other titles that were already sub-$70 at even lower prices. If I go across the road to Target they are full priced while Wal-Mart may have some down to $60.

Termite

I'll add to those saying "blame Nintendo". They have shown that you can boost the perceived value of your first party games by refusing to ever discount them.

Sony has been trying to become a first party powerhouse like Nintendo is for a decade - and they're finally there in terms of quality of software and fan engagement. These days, if a game is a Sony first party production, there's an army of Sony fans ready to buy it no matter the genre because they believe it'll be good. Just like what Nintendo has. And Sony can market directly to these fans with State of Play, just like Nintendo does with Nintendo Direct.

So the last step on this "road to Nintendo-style first party dominance" is to differentiate the first party efforts on the platform from third party games by refusing to discount them, giving that illusion of premier quality. It also gives an incentive to buy day 1, as it will be just as expensive two years later.

Now, who knows if this is the path they're actually planning to go down, but it wouldn't surprise me.

And just on a personal level, I am always more likely to buy a Nintendo game day 1 because I know I will have to wait forever for a minor discount, if any. So the only factor which plays into whether I get the game is whether it looks good.

Unknown?

Well wasn't it the same at the launch of PS4? Didn't see launch games regularly discounted till fall 2014. This seems purely speculative.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

I just shoplift all my games. Problem solved.
rwVNHZ8.jpg

Last edited:

Valonquar

One alternative for PS game "discounts" in general is to use the Sony Playstation credit card. Use CC points to buy PSN cards. Nearly 2/3 of all PS4 games I own I got entirely for free this way just paying off utility bills with the card and paying off the balance every month. Recently swapped to an Amazon CC so I don't use the Sony card as much now, but if I'm buying something PS related I use the PS CC since it gets 10x points for those purchases.

Fbh

I think they are just riding the launch period drought. There aren't that many proper "next gen" exclusives, and there also aren't that many big third party AAA releases on the horizon.
No point in discounting the games when there's still isn't that much else around.

With that said they do seem to be taking things slower. Tsushima is nearly a year old and I've yet to see it drop to $30 (at least in digital format) while even TLOU2 was already down to that price during black Friday.

Its still too early for discounts because there is a shortage of PS5's . When the shortage is over the prices will drop.

In the mean time you can always pick up used physical disks from those who paid full price.

reinking

Gold Member
I have not paid full price for a single PS5 game yet. It only takes a minimal amount of patience to find or wait for a sale.

Kuranghi

One alternative for PS game "discounts" in general is to use the Sony Playstation credit card. Use CC points to buy PSN cards. Nearly 2/3 of all PS4 games I own I got entirely for free this way just paying off utility bills with the card and paying off the balance every month. Recently swapped to an Amazon CC so I don't use the Sony card as much now, but if I'm buying something PS related I use the PS CC since it gets 10x points for those purchases.

Are you in the UK? I looked it up but it only seems to be US even though its been 3 years. So you just set up a direct debit for the full amount of the card each month instead of paying the bills directly with your income?

Kerotan

I've noticed this too but I've come to a different conclusion.

I think Sony see there are millions who can't get a Ps5 but are willing to buy these games full price the day they get the console. I think eventually we'll get back to a pricing model that follows a similar timeline to PS4 games.

Blond

Banned
This happens every gen, after the first year or so expect normal discounts. The PS5 versions of most of the launch games have been discounted several times so I guess I’m not sure what the complaint is

wipeout364

There probably are not enough systems out there to have sales yet. Most people who have them are pretty hardcore fans. Once casuals start to get enough systems then sales will start. Sony will not be able to hold their price with third parties dropping prices and with gamepass essentially giving games away for free.

kingwingin

Easy trick the goverment doesn't want you to know about

Pretending to be blind at an ebgames to get free games

As you approach the counter to purchase a game and they ask for the money. You fumble around looking for your wallet and have a mini break down mentioning how some nice young person helped you at the hot dog stand earlier and now your wallets gone.

Instant pity washes over the person at the gate and radios in his boss. You suddenly find yourself leaving with the best game in the store!

Make sure you have sun glasses and a stick.

I’m waiting for Miles Morales (only one I’m interested in so . Will only buy it digital, and only when it’s $20-$25 - will be as patient as I need to be.

I think they’ll drop pretty quick once supply catches up with demand.

I’m tempting to get suckered in on Ratchet, but holding out so far…

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There is been a few games that have dropped to below £30 on Amazon, but then you have others that barely drop below £55.
I usually get my games from Shopto as I'm a Gold Member but currently with PS5 games, mainly exclusives are exempt from membership discounts🤔

dorkimoe

Maybe stop trying to look for them new?

You can get Godfall or Spiderman for 30-35 bucks on ebay or mercari

No way I'd pay full price for a game 6 months after release, if they dont want to put it on sale, get it used.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
The lack of supply and the lack of competetion in the PS5 games department means there's no reason to discount.

I have no doubt you're gonna see stuff like returnal and demons drop in price as more full PS5 games release.

I've been hearing a lot of comments about next-gen games and waiting for them to drop in price after a couple months.

It's early, but if you look at PS5 exclusives, such as Demon's Souls, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Sackboy, etc they're all still full price, nearly 6 months after release. I don't expect that to change anytime soon. Same for Returnal and upcoming games like Ratchet and Clank and Horizon Forbidden West.

I'd be happy to be wrong (although, I'll buy these games day one regardless). But, I have a very strong feeling PS5 game prices years after release will start to more resemble Nintendo prices more than past PlayStation consoles.

That's because there's no reason to discount them, they'll be loosing money. Right now there aren't any PS5 games, everyone that bought a a PS5 has to buy those games so why would you give a discount? Just wait until next year when all kinds of games come out to see how quickly they get discounted. The problem is that you'll have to wait more anyway.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The console is new.

The same thing happens every generation, and this one is no exception.

At launch, when there’s fewer next generation games, the price stays high.

In 2 years or so the console, games and accessories will all be getting the regular discounts at retail (e.g games launching for £40-50 at physical retail instead of £70).

If you think anyone is going to pay £50-70 for Sackboy or Returnal or £50 for MM in 2 years time when games like Ragnorok, GT7, Elden Ring etc are all launching, well to be blunt they won’t be and Sony will be including them in their regular sales at £10-£20.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

Walmart regularly has most Sony games for PS5 @ $59.99 or less, I noticed this on many shopping trips. I have not seen any of them at $69.99

I mean, you kinda knew what you were in for when buying a PS5 didn’t you? They hiked the prices up just before it came out and have said it’s necessary for them to create the types of games they make.

kikii

yet again complain thread abt price :p mods should make pinned price thread where ppl can cry me a river of prices ^^

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

they are keeping their prices because there isn’t enough of a user base buying games at the minute. Plus stock is so dry that every new purchase of a console right now will probs pick up miles morales.

Sony can’t pull a Nintendo in the uk. For example, pokemon snap can be purchased brand new on launch day for 35 pounds. returnal is 65.

Sony are in for a rude awakening I think. I just dont see 70 pound games working outside of the big hitting first party, sports games, cod etc.

happy to be proven wrong but I will just wait. people At my work we’re discussing this yesterday. They were hyped for the ps5 but their buggest turn off at the minute is the cost of games. let's see what happens once ps5s are more readily available.

I can grab resi 8 for 43 pounds currently. doesnt seem like capcom have faith in sonys pricing either.

what’s painful to see is a game like returnal might suffer from these price choices. interested to see sales numbers but I doubt we will get them. That will be the test to see how fast the price drops. Shit we haven’t even heard a sniff about how demons souls performed. Im waiting for a discount on returnal, especially after hearing the game can be completed in 9 to 15 hours if you are competent.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
they are keeping their prices because there isn’t enough of a user base buying games at the minute. Plus stock is so dry that every new purchase of a console right now will probs pick up miles morales.

Sony can’t pull a Nintendo in the uk. For example, pokemon snap can be purchased brand new on launch day for 35 pounds. returnal is 65.

Sony are in for a rude awakening I think. I just dont see 70 pound games working outside of the big hitting first party, sports games, cod etc.

happy to be proven wrong but I will just wait. people At my work we’re discussing this yesterday. They were hyped for the ps5 but their buggest turn off at the minute is the cost of games. let's see what happens once ps5s are more readily available.

I can grab resi 8 for 43 pounds currently. doesnt seem like capcom have faith in sonys pricing either.

what’s painful to see is a game like return all might suffer Ron these price choices. interested to see sales numbers but I doubt we will get them. That will be the test to see how fast the price drops. Shit we haven’t even heard a sniff about how demons souls performed.
Interesting point re: Nintendo games. Yes they rarely come down, but they’re all readily available for around £35 new (except BOTW and Smash). You also have to say that people buy Nintendo consoles for Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, Mario etc and these games usually have 1 version per console - hence why they stay the same price.

Sony and MS have to compete with third parties on their own platforms. If you own a PS5 or Xbox and GTA 6, TES 6, FIFA 22, COD and The Witcher 4 are all sitting on a shelf for £50 with Returnal sat next to them at £70 still 2 years after launch, the sales will tank.

I’ve been thinking for awhile now that Sony is trying to transition into a Nintendo type of presence where their games come out at retail price and outside of some sales here and there, they stay that price. LoU2 is still $60. Same with Ghosts. PS5 games are overpriced at $70 and have barely seen drops so far.

They also prevent retailers like Walmart or Target from lowering the MSRP on release. Walmart for example have been taking $10 off all $60 physical games. I think it’s $7 off a $40 game. But all of the new Sony games are still full price. If you want to buy Show on PS5, it’s $70. But Show on Series X, $60. Show on PS4, $60. Show on Xbone, $50.

Good luck to them. They can fuck of for $70.

Not really
OP: listen blame Nintendo
yes really. On amazon UK:

Demon Souls down from 70 to 55.99
Miles morales from 51.99 to 43.99

And pretty much all of third party games for ps5 on amazon are discounted as well.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

It's only been 6 months, and the system still can't meet demand. Yet, you expect them to discount the price, despite the knowledge that people who are still waiting to buy the system are likely to buy these launch titles at full price? You aren't an Economics major, I take it.

Top Bottom