• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Firmware Update Makes UI Improvements

ANIMAL1975

We have had VRR for awhile now
Maybe you have to activate it on your TV? That's the issue I had when I set up my PS5. For a moment I thought VRR wasn't working.
You guys had one job... one

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
I believe that animal is joking, lads.

200.gif

Hanging Hang Out GIF by BBC America

BreakOut

They need a clock fix, but for real I’d love to see the date displayed at the top like on the PS3. Not really sure why they stopped doing that.

Kuranghi

I wish they still did the hold PS button to power off. My mind has now grown accustomed to the new way though.

You can customise the pop up menu so what I did was move the power off icon to the far left so when you bring up the menu you can just press X and then X again and it will shutdown, saves a bit of time but yeah its hard to shake that muscle memory, I still do it all the time.

John Wick

It's shit. PS5 UI is complete crap.

I could do better in a week. So could a lot of people.
So why not do better? I'd be a billionaire if I got a dollar every time I've heard people claiming they can do better from their keyboard on this very forum. Surely if you can do better in a week Sony would be foolish not to hire you? You could have everything sorted in 2-3 months and all requested features.

20cent

Banned
Not really care when I'm playing of course, but the cards, progressions status or whatever they are, are garbage. I've tried everything to get rid of it in vain. I also had to manually "unfollow" games I own to stop seeing ads for games I already...own? Leave me the fuck alone.

I get it though, people not minding it are the same who are addicted to Instagram, TikTok, they need to see things constantly popping up for their liquefied brain to send dopamine to their system. Ugh.

Not really care when I'm playing of course, but the cards, progressions status or whatever they are, are garbage. I've tried everything to get rid of it in vain. I also had to manually "unfollow" games I own to stop seeing ads for games I already...own? Leave me the fuck alone.

I get it though, people not minding it are the same who are addicted to Instagram, TikTok, they need to see things constantly popping up for their liquefied brain to send dopamine to their system. Ugh.
Seriously. Just navigating through the UI on both ps5 and sx is a headache. MS's ui is even worse.

S0ULZB0URNE

It can also confirm the console is stable as fuck after the latest update.
Did you have issues before?
Last week my whole console shut down is why I ask.

Anyway just give me the option to hold the PS button to shut down and Dolby Vision|Atmos for streaming and UHDBR's and I'm golden.

Pimpbaa

All I want right now is the ability to limit the output to 10-bit color in hdr. PS5 outputs 12-bit color in hdr at all times, which means when using any modes that use 120hz will drop to 4:2:2 chroma sub sampling due to a lack of bandwidth that 12-bit color pointlessly uses up (there are no consumer 12-bit panels nor is there any 12-bit content).

kyliethicc

All I want right now is the ability to limit the output to 10-bit color in hdr. PS5 outputs 12-bit color in hdr at all times, which means when using any modes that use 120hz will drop to 4:2:2 chroma sub sampling due to a lack of bandwidth that 12-bit color pointlessly uses up (there are no consumer 12-bit panels nor is there any 12-bit content).
It doesn't matter. 4K blu-rays use 4:2:0 and they look great. 422 or 444 it's basically the same thing. In theory there's a difference but chances are, if you did a blind test I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Same with 10 and 12 bit. And you're choosing to play at 120 hz remember. Just play at 60 if 444 is so important.

Imtjnotu

It doesn't matter. 4K blu-rays use 4:2:0 and they look great. 422 or 444 it's basically the same thing. In theory there's a difference but chances are, if you did a blind test I bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Same with 10 and 12 bit. And you're choosing to play at 120 hz remember. Just play at 60 if 444 is so important.
LG oleds might be 10 bit but they still push 12bit color for ps5. I'll have to find the article

Mung

That's weird, mine has been like this since the last update a week or so ago. Living in the future..

recma12

I also kinda hate the PS5 UI.
Rarely have I seen such a downgrade than PS4 -> PS5 in terms of UI.

PS4: I long press the PS Button and can reach 90% with one or two hops
PS5: Long press PS button, bring up home menu, go up, go right and now I can finally enter the settings menu

Messing around with DNS settings during the CoDMW2 Beta was such a PITA.

kyliethicc

I also kinda hate the PS5 UI.
Rarely have I seen such a downgrade than PS4 -> PS5 in terms of UI.

PS4: I long press the PS Button and can reach 90% with one or two hops
PS5: Long press PS button, bring up home menu, go up, go right and now I can finally enter the settings menu

Messing around with DNS settings during the CoDMW2 Beta was such a PITA.
tap triangle on home screen to jump to search & settings

SAMZ

what's wrong with ps5 ui?
I launch the game
the game launches.

Settings stuff is the same as on ps4
Everyone has a different use for their console. For me its a social platform too. Im continuously messaging people, hopping voice chats, making clips/screenshots and sharing to youtube. It was a lot easier to do all of these things on PS4 as it required less button clicks to get to where you wanted.

Yeah some days i just play games only so the UI doesn't matter. Other days i use the UI alot.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sony, where is the web browser ?
I wonder if they are restricting it so that it helps the legal argument that it is a dedicated 'games console' and not a 'general computing device' just in case courts start to force the latter to open up their devices to third party stores and payments? Either that or reducing hacking attack surface area maybe.

Last edited:

Hugare

We have had VRR for awhile now
Framesync support like on Xbox, tho

Sad Feelings GIF

Sony, please, let us make folders for installed games. Thats all I ask.

I dont give two shits about the "library" or whatever its called 'cause every goddamn thing I've ever download are shown there, so its a mess

The Stig

I don't hate the PS5 UI but I'm also not a fan of it. It's just there and works so not worth getting worked up over.

I much prefer the XMB. It just makes more sense to me to have things organized in a vertical fashion (game lists), rather than horizontal. I also don't like how modern UIs love to bombard you with things that you might like. I feel like it clutters the space and is really tacky.

XMB was so damn clean and elegant, just give us the option to use it. It doesn't have to be mandatory, I just want my PS5 to resemble the god-tier PS3 layout.
100% agreed.

I love my 60gb fat

edit - people keep mentioning the clock. whats wrong with it? wait, is there a clock?

Last edited:

[Sigma]

PS5 UI is fine for the most part. Snappy. It needs activity feed back more than anything else at this point. Get rid of the explore tab for all I care.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

ew no fuck that trash
Your comment is trash. Seeing what my "friends" are doing easily, what games they're playing, trophies what not and engaging with them on that end in a feed made the UI feel more lively. Now this shit looks like a ghost town now.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Your comment is trash. Seeing what my "friends" are doing easily, what games they're playing, trophies what not and engaging with them on that end in a feed made the UI feel more lively. Now this shit looks like a ghost town now.
I'd legit pay a monthly fee to keep that boomer shit off my console

Rayderism

I wish they would let us select different sizes for the game tiles. They don't need to be those big gargantuan blocks that they are now. I'd rather have more games listed per screen. I bought the console to play games, not for all that other baloney THEY seem to think is important. I'd prefer to boot the system to a screen full of game icons, sorted by the most recently played. if I want to see all that other useless (to me) stuff, make THAT the stuff I have to cursor around to access. Basically allow us to customize the homescreen to how WE want it to be.

I wish there was a button to check all installed games for updates. It's annoying to boot a game you haven't played for a while and it immediately starts downloading some update. Or, at the very least, allow me to check for updates on games in the library and not just the ones currently showing on the homescreen.

I would like the PS5 games to include patch notes like PS4 games do. And I would like those patch notes to be as complete as you find online. It really irritates me when some webpage will have a page-and-a-half of info about the update, but the console just says "bug fixes".

How about a simple controller calibration app to help mitigate stick drift issues by re-establishing what center is on that controller's analog sticks?

And for all that is holy, fix PSN to not be so obtuse. Way too many herp-derp issues there that every gamer constantly tries to point out to them and they ignore.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Did this latest patch remove game specific background images?
Yeah on the last patch it showed a image of your next activity now its back to the standard stock image

EDIT* you just have to start up a ps5 game and it will bring back those images and the next activity on the dashboard

Last edited:

CHEROKEEE

Keep your fancy Activity Cards and give me back my ACTIVITY FEED instead !! I'm tired of feeling shut off from seeing what my PSN friends are up to... and NO, fumbling through numerous menu layers to see their current game/trophy progress is NO acceptable alternative !!! godammit SONY !

ksdixon

The rows of trophy activities should be how the whole menu is presented. Essentially ps4 quick menu-like. It seems so less intrusive like that.

It's shit. PS5 UI is complete crap.

I could do better in a week. So could a lot of people.
The PS5 UI is good. It's intuitive, not intrusive and you have quick, easy access to everything you'd need including the store and PS+.

Now, the actual PS+ Extra/Premium UI is a bit of a mess. It's very confusing to know what subsection of games you're scrolling through. There's a lot more games there than you might believe as different lists list different games and it isn't always obvious what list a game should be in - especially when it's a PS4 version of a game originally coming from previous generation.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Still can’t update a freaking controller wirelessly. How long since they controller update hit? I still haven’t updated it yet lol.
Yet the Xbox had a controller update just the other day. I laid down on the couch .. saw there was an update.. hit okay on my controller and a min later I was playing.

Yet when I go lay in the couch and turn on my ps5 I get greeted by “ please plug in your controller like a caveman and chant to the moon while fetching water from a well” click don’t ask again for 24 hours…. 😤

Top Bottom