• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 final color could determine its sales success according to an analyst

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
mgdVOlN.jpg

what a shit logic

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I respect that they just aren't thinking about specs but the color of the console won't be to blame for a console's success or if it's a failure.

I wish I could get paid to be an idiot.

Of course some small minority of people may not buy it if it's white instead of black. To imply that that would decide it's success though as opposed to the games/specs is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
I’m trying hard but can’t imagine being someone who’s gonna pass on PS5 because it‘s white. Purple? Sure. Yellow? OK. But white? What’s wrong with white? I’m tired of black, black, black all the time. Beyond boring. And I’m glad Sony is seemingly after 3 gens finally going some other route. Dual-tone is also fine but please don’t be all-black. That would actually give me a pause before buying it.

Iced Arcade

I want to say thats foolish but I didn't buy a GameCube until they had a black version.

I don't see white as a bad color though. The 360 had no issues with it.

Andodalf

Banned
While it isn't a huge factor, color does a play a substantive part of any product. From a phone, to a games console, to a car, to a cereal box, to a bottle of mouthwash, people are influenced by this in many ways.

Last edited:
*If it's made of gold it will cost too much for a console and few will buy it outside the 1%... so there won't be that many sales.

While it isn't a huge factor, color does a play a substantive part of any product. From a phone, to a games console, to a car, to a cereal box, to a bottle of mouthwash, people are influenced by this in many ways.
Yes obviously, but do we have numbers comparing the light, dark and colorful console sales? I think the light (SNES, PSX, 360, etc.) tend to do very well, but the dark ones (Genesis, PS2/3/4) do extremely well too,

I mean, the guy may as well say the product ID will dictate the product's future, unless the box has some extremely unusual choice people will buy it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PlayStation can be pink with purple unicorns pulling a goatse front and center, and that shit will sell out based on brand recognition alone.

Iffy products have to worry more. You know how many mofos rock white iPhones and ugly colored cases?

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I mean he has a point, I don’t think anyone wants a rainbow colored box or annoyingly neon bright yellow or green box but white is kind of stretching it. Xbox one S sold decently and it was white.

Unless he’s specifically talking about a certain region?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Isn’t it suppose to follow the sane color scheme as the controller?

I personally think the controller was that color for the reveal to stand out with the two tones more and test out feedback at the same time. And to differentiate itself.

But we shall see. Either way, we all know there will be a black one.

Knightime_X

Should make it black and blue.
That's the color it's gonna be after Xbox shows it's true power.
muahaha
Kidding.
Or am i?
:p

That's racist!

EDIT: Ideally I want a non-glossy version of the 500 million translucent colour with the gold highlights. :)

Last edited:
I love when analysts use the word "could". Anything after that word is a guess. I mean, there's always a chance, no matter how small?

But what's the probability? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I feel as long as it's a neutral color (black/white) it'll do fine. I do prefer the color black in tech though. It just looks sleeker and stealthy although white looks premium and vibrant.

Zannegan

Come on, like it will be any other color with white being the most prominent color on the controller. They just wrote this to be controversial--gets your name in the public eye and is essentially undisprovable. Total Pachter move (except he would find a way to be provably wrong).

And while they are very different consoles coming out at different times, white didn't hurt the Wii's success or the 360's, and a product lineup dominated by white hasn't hurt Apple any either.

Last edited:

DonF

It has to be panda, it has to match the dualsense.

Panda or storm trooper is awesome, I love the color combination in products such as the google pixel phones.

google-pixel4-white-back.jpg

google-pixel-2-xl-white-980x584.jpg

Black and white works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom