• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Expanded SSD and external Hdd at the same time

Can you have a extra SSD in thr expansion slot and use a extended hard drive at the same time? The ps5 says only one external drive. Does the slotted ssd count as external? If it doesn't does it count as another drive or does it just make your internal storage longer. There is very little I could find on this scenario.

I want to connect my 5tb hdd (which I currently have connected) for ps4 games and buy a ssd to expand my internal ssd for ps5 games. So I would have:

-PS5 standard bolted on ssd (864gb?)
- ps4 external USB storage 5tb
- m2 ssd w/heatsink 1tb for internal slot.

Is that doable? Will I loose my USB ps4 drive or can both work at the same time?

I really miss they days of simple Hard drives. Even ps1/ps2 memory cards were easier then this and much cheaper. Wow are ssds expensive compared to hdd. You would think prices would go down with so much competition.

Last edited:
under storage there's three options as I recall, I have a M.2 inserted plus an external SSD hooked up which I use for PS4 games

Internal
M.2
External
Thank you. Now off to get that crucial ssd and find a heatsink. I want to play GT7 but I'm hitting 19gb free and already removed games. The base storage is too small.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
yes, but you need to go to the option to set the "default" location to install your games.
However I believe ps4 games will automatically install to your external HDD/SSD)

Currently my PS5:
1) M.2 SSD
2) Samsung T7
3) and of course the PS5 internal SSD

No issue.

All my PS4 games installed on T7 and my PS5 games installed eitger on M.2 SSD or internel SSD

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
yes, but you need to go to the option to set the "default" location to install your games.
However I believe ps4 games will automatically install to your external HDD/SSD)

Currently my PS5:
1) M.2 SSD
2) Samsung T7
3) and of course the PS5 internal SSD

No issue.

All my PS4 games installed on T7 and my PS5 games installed eitger on M.2 SSD or internel SSD
yes if you have all 3 storage devices installed/connected there's a setting so you can opt to have PS5 games installed to either Internal or M.2 by default & I believe for PS4 games you just have a toggle for having them installed to the External by default

wvnative

Yes you can have all 3 (Internal SSD, Expansion, and external HDD) at once and set where you want games to install.

Thanks everyone. Any suggestions on good cheap ssd? Im looking at a 1tb crucial p5 plus with 3rd party heatsink for $145. Or a xpg s70 blade with included heatsink for $127.

I know the crucial one is a name brand, but reported speeds are slower. Is xpg (Adata) an OK company? Does the speeds matter that much?

Crucial rated 6600, and the xpg rated 7400/MBs.

Riky

$MSFT
Thanks everyone. Any suggestions on good cheap ssd? Im looking at a 1tb crucial p5 plus with 3rd party heatsink for $145. Or a xpg s70 blade with included heatsink for $127.

I know the crucial one is a name brand, but reported speeds are slower. Is xpg (Adata) an OK company? Does the speeds matter that much?

Crucial rated 6600, and the xpg rated 7400/MBs

I've got the P5 Plus, no problems at all.

Rossco EZ

Crucial rated 6600, and the xpg rated 7400/MBs.
WD_BLACK SN850 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Gaming SSD with Heatsink - Works with PlayStation 5 up to 7000 MB/s read speed https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PHSVW7K/

Kuranghi

I had lots installed but then I just cut it down to what I'm playing currently, some evergreen titles and Astro's Gayroom + SM:MM for showing off the grayfix/haptics to guests (of which I have none). Now I have tons of spa-cé.

Meanwhile over on PC I've got like 9TB and its been in the red for years, now one of the She-gates is failing and so even though I have an empty new 3TB drive sitting ready I need to buy another 3TB just to replace the failed drive and actually have an increase in space.

I feel like I should get a giant external USB drive but isn't that a terrible idea because if that fails then you're just fucked? I know I should do RAID stripe and have a backup that way but I don't think I care about the data that much, its always getting replaced by higher quality versions so by the time the drives fail I would probably be making a higher quality rip from the new disc format.

Flipping it around again though, probably 4K will be the limit for a while since 90% of them aren't even made from 4K DI's even if the medium it was filmed on could support that quality. So I really should preserve my (personally made) remuxes properly.

Wow this is a great conversation I've had with myself *wipes brow*.

kyliethicc

Can you have a extra SSD in thr expansion slot and use a extended hard drive at the same time? The ps5 says only one external drive. Does the slotted ssd count as external? If it doesn't does it count as another drive or does it just make your internal storage longer. There is very little I could find on this scenario.

I want to connect my 5tb hdd (which I currently have connected) for ps4 games and buy a ssd to expand my internal ssd for ps5 games. So I would have:

-PS5 standard bolted on ssd (864gb?)
- ps4 external USB storage 5tb
- m2 ssd w/heatsink 1tb for internal slot.

Is that doable? Will I loose my USB ps4 drive or can both work at the same time?

I really miss they days of simple Hard drives. Even ps1/ps2 memory cards were easier then this and much cheaper. Wow are ssds expensive compared to hdd. You would think prices would go down with so much competition.
Yes. 3 drives max. Console, M.2, and USB. Each is separate.

Use the USB drive for PS4 games.

JommrJs.jpg

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yes.

I believe you can have more than one external storage too… up to how many USB ports the console has.

Edit - Seems like you can connect it but you have to choose each one is enable to use… only one at time.

Last edited:
Can you save PS5 games and PS4 games to the same external USB hard drive? I was thinking I'd like to play PS4 games on PS4 and sometimes PS5 as well as storing PS5 games I'm not playing at the moment on the hdd. I was thinking about buying this hard drive as I'd rather not buy 2 separate hard drives, one for PS4 and one for PS5. I'd like to use the hard drive interchangeably between PS4 and PS5.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Can you save PS5 games and PS4 games to the same external USB hard drive? I was thinking I'd like to play PS4 games on PS4 and sometimes PS5 as well as storing PS5 games I'm not playing at the moment on the hdd. I was thinking about buying this hard drive as I'd rather not buy 2 separate hard drives, one for PS4 and one for PS5. I'd like to use the hard drive interchangeably between PS4 and PS5.
you can save PS5 games to the external USB drive but not play from there.
Whenever you want to play a PS5 game, you need to copy it back to the internal (or the internal M2) SSD.

PS4 games can be stored at the USB drive and played from there, no problem. When the external USB drive is a SSD there is not even a major performance penalty doing so.

I never tried to connect my USB drive to a PS4, but I expect it the same drive to work on both consoles if you are using the same PSN account :pie_eyeroll:

you can save PS5 games to the external USB drive but not play from there.
Whenever you want to play a PS5 game, you need to copy it back to the internal (or the internal M2) SSD.

PS4 games can be stored at the USB drive and played from there, no problem. When the external USB drive is a SSD there is not even a major performance penalty doing so.

I never tried to connect my USB drive to a PS4, but I expect it the same drive to work on both consoles if you are using the same PSN account :pie_eyeroll:
Cool, thanks.

Top Bottom