• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 exclusives drove me to buy Xbox Series X — here’s why

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildBoy

Hes not wrong. Arrogant Sony is back but people gonna be too late to notice it. The more emphasis on PS plus and now from Sony shows MS is heading in a direction they want a slice of. Subscription model has taken over every other medium why not gaming too? Seems strange to think gaming is immune.

Hes not wrong. Arrogant Sony is back but people gonna be too late to notice it. The more emphasis on PS plus and now from Sony shows MS is heading in a direction they want a slice of. Subscription model has taken over every other medium why not gaming too? Seems strange to think gaming is immune.

So it's arrogance to want a slice of what the competition Is doing now ?.. Apart from the price of the games I don't see much arrogance and kinda get the the price increase for 1st party games because most Sony first party are cutting edge and very expensive to make with limited legs after the first play through really , it's also not on Sony for any increases outside of its first party that's on other vendors ... They absolutely need to do a gamepass equivalent especially on pc or even if it's just releasing 1st party a couple of months after release on pc that's a big market just to leave ms playing by itself in and if sales are good on pc and they hit the kind of console numbers they hit last gen they may not even need a gamepass equivalent who knows .... Exciting times .

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This is wrong info and data shows the exact opposite of your claims. Gears 4 sold almost 5x more than Gears 5, and Gears 3 before it sold 20x (twenty times) more.

Gears 5 was the most played Gears ever thanks to Gamepass, and at the same time its sales were terrible thanks to Gamepass.
Many websites that track game sales reported it sold terribly. And you could grab game pass for 1$ when gears 5 launched.

The game sold poorly and without game pass it still would have sold less than gears 4z
In that context, how do you view the success of a title like Gears 5? It's obviously not about sales for you. So how do you justify the investment in a big project like that? How do you measure its success when you've got this game that's coming out on Game Pass day and date with retail?

Phil Spencer:
Gears 5 sold well for us. It sold better than Gears 4. And we feel good about it. If people want to make the choice of buying Gears, that's an option we want to give them. I'm not trying to funnel everybody who wants to play Gears into the subscription. It's about giving gamers choice. Certain players will make the decision as part of Game Pass that they'll either want to start to subscribe, or they're already a subscriber and they stay subscribed.
As analyst Daniel Ahmad notes, Gears of War 4 sold 4.5 times better in its launch week, and Gears of War 3 – at the height of the Xbox 360’s success and before digital distribution was a major factor – sold 20 times better.
So official source is wrong but an "analyst" is right? The same analyst who back in 2017 said that Microsoft cutting down the funding of first party projects for Xbox division, right before they made promoted Phil to an executive and Xbox started buying first party studios.
DrrYKExXQAARqk5

The moment a xbox+PC game goes into gamepass at release date, its sales numbers are as good as gone.
You can also check how bad the Gears 5 sales were on the PC by looking at its Steam numbers of concurrent players. I doubt the game sold more than 75K units on Steam, and on the Microsoft Store it might be one tenth of that.

It happened Gears 5, it will happen to all of Microsoft's 1st party games. Bethesda titles included.
There's no eating the cake and keeping it too.
So it's all doom and gloom because Gears 5 didn't sell well on Steam(it was in the top paid games of Xbox Store for a long time). Meanwhile Halo MCC, Flight Simulator and Sea of Theives are making records on Steam despite being present on Game Pass. Flight Simulator has been on PC Game Pass since day 1.
Gamepass in its current form isn't sustainable, much less with Microsoft offering 3 months of it for 1€ which is how I already got 6 months of the subscription.
I think the sooner people realize they won't get this free meal forever, the better.
Its not sustainable because some dude on the internet pulled numbers out of his ass assuming they only make one fifth of the revenue they actually get?
Microsoft won't deserve the hate they'll get when they inevitably need to change their pricing structure for Gamepass.
Hate? I would be concerned if Microsoft treated twitter console warriors and Next Gen Spec thread posters as a target audience instead of people who actually cared about their platform.

pasterpl

They are always Sony fanboy but when a new generation starts became punctually Xbox fanboy. Said that is not like you are forced to buy exclusive at launch. They are incredibly cheap if you waiting a bit for the PSN plus discounts, so I really don't get some argumentations. But sure if you prefer a rent service to have all the games at launch cheaply, take it. Just hope they will never touch from the catalogue some of your favourite games because you can't have it back. I never been a great fan of rent subscription models.
You know you can still buy games that are on gamepass

I’m sorry to burst your Phil bubble but the game appeared on no sales metrics and the gears franchise was already in decline as you can see from judgment and gears 4 sales. Gears 4 wasn’t better than the original trilogy.
Phil saying it sold well for us means nothing if he won’t even post any figures. It was probably discussed at the time too; he was probably counting Gamepass sign ups around that time.
Of course pr man says the game sold well.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Subscription model has taken over every other medium why not gaming too? Seems strange to think gaming is immune.
I feel like I'm repeating myself here but it's true- how many subscription services can you have? I'll speak on behalf of Aussies here... Youtube. Spotify. Netflix. Stan. Amazon Prime. Fetch. Kayo. Disney Plus. Foxtel Go. Shudder. Rumours of Paramount Plus coming as well. And I can only imagine how many more there are in the USA... When does it end? We want to watch something we have to have subscriptions for everything, and we are only in it's infancy!

Now imagine that in gaming? Subscriptions for all the major devs? The different consoles doing subscriptions!? When does it end? Buy what you want and skip what you don't. Why is that so hard for people to do? You don't NEED every fucking game released!

GhostOfTsu

Banned
No need, dirt5 is now on gamepass
It's now 8$ on Green man gaming and dirt rally 2.0 less than 5$. This is the big GP release of the month and you can just own it for a couple bucks lol

As I said, GP is only for people that don't know any better. You are not saving money. MSRP is not the real price.

GHG

Gold Member
Actually there are more articles on them then why someone prefers Xbox. And we make threads out of them too.

aOD4GWK.jpg

tenor.gif

pasterpl

It's now 8$ on Green man gaming and dirt rally 2.0 less than 5$. This is the big GP release of the month and you can just own it for a couple bucks lol

As I said, GP is only for people that don't know any better. You are not saving money. MSRP is not the real price.

thanks to gp I have actually saved that $8, as after testing dirt5 I hated the game, at the same time I have had a spin in wreckfest and I love it, last month I have played medium, completed hive buster and played multiple other games ....all in one subscription, saved me money so I have pre-ordered Kena on egs and got hades on steam

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Its okay GHG GHG you can find solace in believing anyone who does not have the same inclinations as you is paid to be so.
P.S. "We" means people who post on GAF, since someone will always make a thread out of any piece of news.
So the guy who took a screenshot of a poll from a random thread I am unaware of and highlighted an option to make it look like I did vote that option, is accusing another guy of lying.
irony GIF

GHG

Gold Member
Its okay GHG GHG you can find solace in believing anyone who does not have the same inclinations as you is paid to be so.
P.S. "We" means people who post on GAF, since someone will always make a thread out of any piece of news.

So the guy who took a screenshot of a poll from a random thread I am unaware of and highlighted an option to make it look like I did vote that option, is accusing another guy of lying.
irony GIF

I see you completely missed the point as to why I posted a screenshot of the poll, it was nothing to do with what you did or didn't vote for.

I'm glad to hear I'm part of your "we" group though. I will be sure to do my part in the future.

Zato

Banned
Who is this cunt and why do we care?

Will there be posts for everyone's inane reasons for their decisions?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However everyone is not entitled to their own facts, PS4 first party games are not £50 RRP they are £60 so it is not as big of a jump as he is making out.

If they were unsure on the kind of games they may like, why not just wait before buying the PS5? (maybe FOMO).

Anyway, I suspect that in the coming years they will pay for Gamepass and Sony first party games. Otherwise they are simply missing out. This is now on Sony to put out first party games of enough quality that people are happy to pay the money for (which in my opinion they already are doing).

Also it is a bit tiring of constantly hearing people comparing Xbox first party games with Sony as if they are directly comparable. Really you can only go off what has released previously and up to this point, the last 5 years have been somewhat baron and (in my opinion) of poorer quality than Sony's first party output. That's not to say the Bethesda acquisition won't dramatically increase the quantity of output and maybe even the quality of output, but I'm not expecting anything significant to change in that respect over the next couple of years (I hope it does).

For what I have paid, I think Game Pass is good value, but it is not really down to much MS first party has released recently. I'm happy to be getting Forza Horizon and Halo Infinite when they release this year, but if I was paying full price for Game Pass each month, I'd probably just let it lapse and pick them up when they go on sale and clear games in my backlog instead.

What first-party games have launched on Xbox since the Series S|X launched last year? I know Flight Simulator got a port from PC eventually, but I'm having trouble remembering what else.
Just have a look at the Forza Horizon 5 or Halo Infinite pre-order or said Flight Simulator. They are all "just" 70 Euro while Sony's games are 80 Euro. Guess in dollars it's 60 vs. 70.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom