• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 exclusives drove me to buy Xbox Series X — here’s why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klayzer

Here we go again. Another thread for half of the board to claim every person except them on GAF is a Sony fanboy and there is some conspiracy to make Xbox look bad.
They don't seem to realize, they're as predictable as the Sonygaf tired line Xbox fanatics love to parakeet.

Klayzer

Playstation fans (generally speaking) hate to hear about GP. It's the thing they don't have and it is indeed a great value and a great proposition.

I play enough games to be here on Neogaf, and there is plenty for me to enjoy on there while I wait for next gen to fully arrive. Let's be honest: no one is offering a lot right now in regards to next gen games. Playing older games is a major factor for the first few years and Xbox is crushing Sony in that area.

PS5 is promising, but Xbox is making major comeback strides and GP is a big part of that.
Im curious. What older games does Xbox have that's not available with plus and now? Serious question by the way.

Im curious. What older games does Xbox have that's not available with plus and now? Serious question by the way.
As someone who has GamePass and a Series X, I can tell from looking through the games available, my collection of PS+ games available today greatly trumps the games available on GamePass.

PS Now, on the other hand (which I also have), is not nearly as impressive.

Jokerevo

Banned
I love the PS5, but I don't like the way Sony is handling exclusives

QKuDTr3YDAJvVBGBkXP4QH-1024-80.jpg.webp

So what games are you playing on XsX? And why didn't you just buy a PC and get the best of both worlds? After all the XsX is already obsolete if it carries no exclusives.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Klayzer

As someone who has GamePass and a Series X, I can tell from looking through the games available, my collection of PS+ games available today greatly trumps the games available on GamePass.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I don't have much interest in any sub service (except Live or Plus) so im definitely not the tarket demographic. I prefer to buy and own my preferred games.

Another point that interests me is, will really big budget games be able to profit off the sub model? Seems to me it would be taking away a substantial amount of early launch profit.

Kev Kev

yesss, YEESSSSS!!! let the hate flow through you my brave and noble warriors!

FIGHT TILL DEEEAAAATTTHHH!!!!!!

DavidGzz

Well we have Returnal on 30th April
Ratchet and Clank 11 of June
So theres 2, wanna tell me some xbox exclusive release dates?

And Horizon 2 by End of 2021 Supposedly otherwise it will join GT7 and God of War and come out by the end of 2022 lol

Oh yeah, Returnal could be cool. I don't care about platformers so I forgot about Ratchet. Last I knew The Medium and The Ascent were not on Playstation and were out already or coming very soon. Either way, just like last gen, the first year looks to suck on both. Only Halo will save me since I'm sure Horizon will also be delayed.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bottom line is that its a rental service. You stop paying and you walk away with nothing.

Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is.

Its a good deal, but then Playstation plus isn't too shabby given that if you own a PS5 you're getting 48 games a year plus the collection titles.

Kokoloko85

Oh yeah, Returnal could be cool. I don't care about platformers so I forgot about Ratchet. Last I knew The Medium and The Ascent were not on Playstation and were out already or coming very soon. Either way, just like last gen, the first year looks so suck on both. Only Halo will save me since I'm sure Horizon will also be delayed.
Horizon will most likely be delayed I guess.
For me its still a better first year than PS4. Demon Souls, Returnal, Ratchet possibly Horizon. GT7 was meant to happen but it wont.
Halo is a good first year title if it makes it

Klayzer

Horizon will most likely be delayed I guess.
For me its still a better first year than PS4. Demon Souls, Returnal, Ratchet possibly Horizon. GT7 was meant to happen but it wont.
Halo is a good first year title if it makes it
Don't forget Astro, Sackboy and Miles Morales as well. Pretty strong lineup for a usual slow first year for a console.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
You are the one that is clueless. It not about me or what I would buy. Its about the value of Game Pass in what it offers.

Also $15 for Game Pass Ultimate gives you Gold.
It's not value if you already own the games (most of them for free or dirt cheap) and the rest you were never going to buy anyway.

Gamepass is only giving me duplicates that I get elsewhere and since they are rentals I don't bother starting them.

ie: Dirt 4 is 1$ on Fanatical right now and it was on GP. I would just play that until Dirt 5 price drops.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I guess the argument is that Microsoft wants console exclusives more than it wants to make money. Which is, lol, that is a funny argument to make, and mostly seems like projection.

Look if Fallout 5 is limited to a single console, I will eat my hat. But it's kind of stunning to see so many people convinced Microsoft purchased these IPs to sell less copies than before.

Unless they want exclusives as part of a more sophisticated plan to make even more money.

I can sell you something that I have for $1. Or, I can not sell it to you, not make a $1, and instead put it into some hopeful scheme to make $2 tomorrow instead.

Based on your logic, Nintendo is insane not to sell its IP on the huge PC install base; not doing so would suggest that Nintendo hates making money.

A laughable suggestion indeed.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
First I'd say there is a high chance that whatever games they do share are running better on Xbox.
That's because of the auto HDR feature, auto frame boost, 4k upres, etc..
Sony is picking and choosing what to remaster, but almost everything on Gamepass is utilizing 4k, frame boosts, and HDR. It is awesome.

But if you want a side by side rundown, you'll probably need to do a Google search or something.
I do have favorites: Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Ninja Gaiden Black, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are all games that literally look better than ever and aren't available on Playstation 5 in any form.

I'm pretty sure you even have to stream, rather than download, many PSNow games, but someone can correct me it I'm wrong. Either way, these games are all performing better on Xbox.

I'm not saying Playstation doesn't have fantastic games you can't play anywhere else. Spider-Man and Death Stranding are my babies.

Last edited:

Klayzer

First I'd say there is a high chance that whatever games they do share are running better on Xbox.
That's because of the auto HDR feature, auto frame boost, 4k upres, etc..
Sony is picking and choosing what to remaster, but almost everything on Gamepass is utilizing 4k, frame boosts, and HDR. It is awesome.

But if you want a side by side rundown, you'll probably need to do a Google search or something.
I do have favorites: Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Ninja Gaiden Black, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are all games that literally look better than ever and aren't available on Playstation 5 in any form.

I'm pretty sure you even have to stream, rather than download, many PSNow games, but someone can correct me it I'm wrong. Either way, these games are all performing better on Xbox.

I'm not saying Playstation doesn't have fantastic games you can't play anywhere else. Spider-Man and Death Stranding are my babies.
No worries. Ninja Gaiden 2 is my all time favorite 360 game.

The reason why gamepass isn't on there now is because Xbox still makes Consoles. well they don't really have any good games either. so they can still make their console right now. once they have their package of games ready to go they can stop making the console and Sony will probably allow them to launch on PlayStation
Microsoft is a software company first. consoles not the money driver. they're not really making any money off of them compared to Software. And when they're good and ready they can go to sony and cave on Hardware to get PlayStation players on Game Pass
thats MS/XBOX END GAME
you can't reach 2 billion Gamers without PlayStation and Nintendo players
That's just what I think! how far off you think that is?

Even if Sony allowed GP on PS, how would MS make money after Sony takes their 30% cut?

There is a thing called "profit margin." It's the reason why netflix and all the streaming apps don't sell subscriptions though the app stores.
Ok so let say with that 70 percent they paid another 30 percent for other stuff they are still left with 40 percent profit than.

Ten_Fold

First level in Demon’s Souls was pretty damn easy, especially the first boss, now if they said 4-2 then..... Anyways this was a bad take.

Cornbread78

To the left my PS5 stands tall, to the right my Ser X stands fat in the center my TV and underneath my Switch sits collecting dust since GS still hasn't gotten my copy of Braverly in...

Union of 3 forces of sex. It's my gaming harem, I fuck with 'em all.....

Renozokii

It's €10 a month for me (Gamepass Ultimate yearly code) and it's more than worth it.
Well it’s 10.99
what would be strange? There are a lot of games that I enjoyed playing even though they received low metacritic ratings. There are a lot of games that I enjoyed a lot with but that I would never have bought at 59 69 or even worse at today's 80 euros. Have you never bought a game and in the end you don't find it as exciting as you thought it was enough to make you abandon it ? Once you have found a game you want to keep forever, you can buy it by taking advantage of the discount offered by gamepass. But the idea is to always remain subscribers of course if you have the console. You can find online offer the 1 year of Gamepass ultimate starting 116 euros on cdkey time will pass before it reaches 180 euros and if you think about it it would be like buying a little more than two Returnal (that is an AA production) a year ..receiving back much ...much more than just 2 games (obviously I wasn't talking about the returnal game in particular .. but it was a generic example)
>what would be strange? There are a lot of games that I enjoyed playing even though they received low metacritic ratings.

it’s strange because this apparently big thing doesn’t seem to be a thing elsewhere. On pc, PlayStation, and the switch, it seems like a vast array of widely different games sell great. Switch has had indies blowing the hell up, PlayStation has games selling great from cod to persona to something like death stranding. Pc has different games in the top like, every week. I didn’t realize there was such a big population on Xbox of people that don’t play anything outside of their comfort zone at all. Doesn’t seem to be the case elsewhere

>There are a lot of games that I enjoyed a lot with but that I would never have bought at 59 69 or even worse at today's 80 euros.

So don’t. I can’t completely speak for Xbox as I haven’t turned mine on, but sales have been pretty decent across all platforms and used games are still a thing. Who is forcing you to buy games brand new at full price? I got watch dogs legion on sales a month after release on sale for half off. I got world war z for 8.

>Have you never bought a game and in the end you don't find it as exciting as you thought it was enough to make you abandon it ? Once you have found a game you want to keep forever, you can buy it by taking advantage of the discount offered by gamepass.

yea that’s why I stay physical unless I’m sure of something. I bought and beat the last of us 2 on sale at GameStop for 30 bucks and traded it in for 20

>But the idea is to always remain subscribers of course if you have the console. You can find online offer the 1 year of Gamepass ultimate starting 116 euros on cdkey time will pass before it reaches 180 euros and if you think about it it would be like buying a little more than two Returnal (that is an AA production) a year ..receiving back much ...much more than just 2 games (obviously I wasn't talking about the returnal game in particular .. but it was a generic example)

it’s weird to talk about the deal you can get on gamepass but ignore deals on games. And hell I got ps plus on cdleys for $30 and got 20 free games day one, and the monthly games have been legit amazing so far. And those games I have access to so long as I keep ps plus, they won’t get pulled.

Quality over quantity for me my man. Most games on gamepass I can buy and actually own for pretty dirt cheap if I want em, and the day one Xbox exclusives coming to it have a good long while before they start being enticing as gears 20, halo 10, and that weird obsidian game aren’t doing it for me just yet.

Last edited:

Renozokii

$180 would buy a couple of years of Gamepass if you stock up on codes at Black Friday. Mine runs out September 2022 and I've paid no more than £6.66 a month which seems pretty cheap to me especially since I need it anyway to play online.

If you have a PC Gamepass can be had for free if you run ABS in the background every morning for the MS reward points (not sure I would bother doing everything if I only had a phone or tablet and had to click everything manually though).

It's clearly not for everyone but it's amazing value at the minute. I'm sure that will change in the future.
Same logic applies otherwise though. The gamepass defense force is crazy man. I was responding to a particular post about a guy that likes a particular set of games and for some reason his friend is trying to convince him to throw money away. Using your logic though you can wait to buy those games for half off or more, and ps plus is perpetually 30 bucks on cd keys. And frankly I think most people are like his friends, and until the mega franchises like cod, battlefield, fifa, nba, assassins creed, and rockstars games are day one free on gamepass, it’s not going to take over gaming like people think it will. Look at the top charts, look at the player data we know about. A ludicrous amount of people are playing the same set of franchises year after year and those people don’t need to spend 200 bucks extra a month for a bunch of games they don’t plan on touching.

Im super interested to see in a few years when Microsoft actually wants profit from gamepass, and ups the price and stops the giveaways, what the numbers will look like.

longdi

Banned
What a trash article, I'll save you the read guys, they basically don't want to pay full price for games and want Game Pass.

imo legit concerns and desires, more mainstream coverage to come?

>$70 (if in EU) is tough when placed side by side with a rental service aggressively building up it subs

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Such a weird perspective, one I have to be wondering if it’s exclusive to Xbox gamers. More is not better by default. I’m glad it opened your eyes and you tried new games. Are you going to be willing to pay 180 (and surely more when ms wants to make money) in perpetuity for those games though?

Couple of things about this:

- was already paying for gold, so the increase is less than you have stated

- I will still buy the games I really love, but when they are $10, not $80. Then I don't have to "rent" them forever. I also don't feel many games need to be owned forever, most for me are play once and no need for a second time.

You know, a couple of months ago I'd smile when I saw someone refer to Demons Souls as some sort of PS5 exclusive. I'd think to myself "These kids are just too young to remember the PS3. Lol"

Now I can't help but cringe a bit when I see it. Imagine being desperate as to pretend a decade old game remake is some sort of banging exclusive. 😬

It wouldn't be nearly so bad if things weren't looking progressively worse for PS5 owners over the next year. While the XBS released with no current gen exclusives, it didn't pretend to, but all indications still point to Flight Simulator and Halo Infinite releasing this year.

That's quite different from the PS5. While it also released with no current gen exclusives, rather than admitting shortcomings... Sony instead chose to use smoke and mirrors to hide them. First they pretended that Demons Souls didn't release on the PS3 a decade ago, and simply claimed a remake as an entirely new game... Exclusive to the the PS5. While Astros Playroom is obviously a tech demo for the dualsense controller, they attempted to push it as though it were an actual game. It was likely at this point that the higher ups at Playstation looked at one another and said "Ya know, this might just work". Better to be safe than sorry though. So just to be sure, they apparently decided to pull the expansion for their last gen exclusive Spiderman, in order to put it exclusively on the PS5. The only available reason being so that they could now charge double the price for it.

Had I bought a PS5, I'd feel burned having bought into all that. By the looks of it, things only get worse for the next year, as game after game gets pushed further and further into the future. We're almost at the point where PS5 owners will be lucky to get anything even the coming holiday season, much less anything before.

Derktron

Banned
What a trash article, I'll save you the read guys, they basically don't want to pay full price for games and want Game Pass.
Sounds reasonable enough, I do get that the article is trash and it is. But in reality I do get where the author is going for. I don’t like paying full price unless it’s a game that is worth it and in this day an age. That’s slowly dying down.

No problem with the article. An opinion is an opinion. I just think ppl are very short sighted and get so easily enamored by a "value" purchase that they will "lower" expectations because of it. The statement I just made is also short sighted, cause in all reality we don't know WTF will happen with the sub model. But, our perceptions are painted by what we pay or our perceived valuation of things. We are less forgiving of a product if it costs $70 and way more forgiving if that product was "basically" free. It just depends on which mental gymnastics event you want to perform in... but, please don't make blanket, hard, one way or the other statements.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

It's pretty much a paid advertisement. Same company that owns techradar (Future plc).

People are arguing over a gamepass commercial for the most part.

IDC who likes GP just pointing out what this is.

PhaseJump

Banned
Lack of PS5 and XSX hardware drove me to buy the entire series of Babylon 5 remastered and a pizza. This console war is lame compared to the Shadow War. Playstation & Xbox will never top the badass hype built up every time an episode in Season 3 ran it's intro.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Lack of PS5 and XSX hardware drove me to buy the entire series of Babylon 5 remastered and a pizza. This console war is lame compared to the Shadow War. Playstation & Xbox will never top the badass hype built up every time an episode in Season 3 ran it's intro.
babylon 5 reaction gifs GIF by hero0fwar

now I want to rewatch Babylon 5...

Last edited:

Fredrik

Sony is skirting a dangerous line. The PC releases and the recent diverging sku’s on ps+ vs retail.

The precedents setup a potential for a negative outcome for the brand. See where it lands.
Or it could increase the brand popularity because the millions of PC gamers without a console will now see what all the fuss is about. 🤷‍♂️

As odd as it may sound I honestly think the risk lies in the late releases. That could create a scenario where people will start questioning if they should wait for the improved version instead of jumping in day 1. And we know lots of Playstation gamers have a gaming PC so Sony is kinda shitting the bed a bit here. And we know that gamers in general want the best version of the games.
So what do you do, wait or double dip?

Microsoft is kinda side-stepping this problem since the console and PC versions release the same day there and Xbox+PC is a way smaller platform combo, the PC release is mostly increasing the reach of the day 1 hype for an otherwise much smaller platform.

MonarchJT

Banned

no but nice try.
Gold > Ps+ (in the past)
psnow > xcloud
GamePass > everything

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom