• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 event planned for June 3 | Update: Confirmed June 4th

I think its pretty safe to assume itll be a reveal on one or more of the following:

- console design (my bet is will match color scheme of DS5)
- 38 game announce with gameplay trailers
- price/models and firm release date

---

My bet is probably just console design/models and the 38 game announce w/ gameplay trailers. Sony likely wont let the price go until closer to the holidays, or atleast after M$.

Business

It was desperate but I had hopes for news on TLOU2 multiplayer today. Maybe in this event...

Last edited:
RipeSaltyBuzzard-size_restricted.gif

PSYGN

It was obvious PS5 event will be soon.

They want to show off PS5 with FIFA as Sony likely have a marketing deal with the next FIFA. EA Play digital event is on June 11. So they probably want to reveal it first before more is shown on EA Play.

We are overdue a Call of Duty announcement and Sony once again most likely have a marketing deal with Activision. I suspect they want to be the first to showcase Call of Duty gameplay at their PS5 event. The name has already leaked "Cold War". Sony has also coincidentally has WWII as their PSN Plus game this month.

With 3rd parties wanting to showcase their games I think Sony know they have to reveal the big 2 FIFA and COD at their event. I think majority of their other games will likely be first party reveals. But FIFA and COD next gen will get the casual gamers attention which would be a great marketing idea from Sony.

My predictions for PS5 exclisivde games revealed
Demon's Souls Remake (Bluepoint teasing way back with Wired article)
Ratchet and Clank Sequel (Jim Ryan stating the IP is important to them, showcase for rumble triggers for different crazy weapons, Ratchet is features in their new PS Studios intro)
Gran Turismo 7 (that logo leak and reuse of car assets for faster development)
Horizon 2 (The biggest graphics showcase for PS5 reveal same as Killzone Shadowfall for PS4)
Silent Hill (lots of rumours on this, developed by Team Siren with Silent Hill staff, Gravity Rush 2 was a while back)
Arrowhead Games New IP (one of the smaller titles to be showcased)

Obviously only 1 or 2 will be launch games but that would be their lineup from launch till early 2022. Spiderman 2 and God of War 2 will be saved for next year games reveals.

I like the way you think.

KAL2006

Banned
It was obvious PS5 event will be soon.

They want to show off PS5 with FIFA as Sony likely have a marketing deal with the next FIFA. EA Play digital event is on June 11. So they probably want to reveal it first before more is shown on EA Play.

We are overdue a Call of Duty announcement and Sony once again most likely have a marketing deal with Activision. I suspect they want to be the first to showcase Call of Duty gameplay at their PS5 event. The name has already leaked "Cold War". Sony has also coincidentally has WWII as their PSN Plus game this month.

With 3rd parties wanting to showcase their games I think Sony know they have to reveal the big 2 FIFA and COD at their event. I think majority of their other games will likely be first party reveals. But FIFA and COD next gen will get the casual gamers attention which would be a great marketing idea from Sony.

My predictions for PS5 exclisivde games revealed
Demon's Souls Remake (Bluepoint teasing way back with Wired article)
Ratchet and Clank Sequel (Jim Ryan stating the IP is important to them, showcase for rumble triggers for different crazy weapons, Ratchet is features in their new PS Studios intro)
Gran Turismo 7 (that logo leak and reuse of car assets for faster development)
Horizon 2 (The biggest graphics showcase for PS5 reveal same as Killzone Shadowfall for PS4)
Silent Hill (lots of rumours on this, developed by Team Siren with Silent Hill staff, Gravity Rush 2 was a while back)
Arrowhead Games New IP (one of the smaller titles to be showcased)

Obviously only 1 or 2 will be launch games but that would be their lineup from launch till early 2022. Spiderman 2 and God of War 2 will be saved for next year games reveals.

To add to my prediction

I'm expecting announcement tommorow.

It's unusual to have a announce on a Friday or Monday. And Tuesday is too short notice a day before. Due to all the extra leaks today of this event is coming it can only mean an official announcement is imminent.

Another thing in regards to other reveals other than games. I expect Sony to also announce their version of Smart Delivery with a few 3rd party games showcased to use this (Watch Dogs 2, Avengers). Finally I also expect a reassurance of backwards compatibility 99% PS4 supported due to the confusion from the Cerny talk. I also expect Sony to showcase PS5 enhanced games for some BC games showing higher frame rates, higher resolution and faster loading (Monster Hunter World). And even substantial improvement (Ray Tracing in Control).

Finally I expect a showcase of launching a PS5 game from cold boot to showcase instant loading, then loading another game and instantly switching between them (Similar to Series X showcase but faster).

Other features like Create button, load specific mode from a game from OS, voice navigation, instantly join multiplayer session from OS, expanded social features of PS5 may also be showcased but I'm 50/50 on this. In one way it's good to just show all these features at once to show off the next gen improvements not only with game and hardware but OS, but it could also be long winded and information overload so they could hold back showing this stuff off for another time.

Azurro

Banned
I just want to see proper next gen games, I want to be amazed just like when they unveiled Killzone Shadowfall.

I hope it's true, hell, it's about time.

THEAP99

Banned
I read somewhere that they waited this long so it can be more professional?
Good on them. I couldn't stand Aaron Greenberg's 240p webcam. So amateur.

Show us how it's done with gameplay footage Sony! Please!

KAL2006

Banned
To the naysayers who have low expectations and expect 1 or 2 PS5 games.

If you combine PS4 Meeting and PS4 E3. We had
Killzone Shadowfall
Driveclub
inFamous Second Son
Dreams
Knack
Resogun
The Order

That's 7 PS4 exclusives shown.

Let's not forget Sony has stated they have a lineup of games to show for PS5. Also this time round they are more prepared Guerilla Games, Team Siren, inSomniac, Polyphony, Bluepoint, haven't released a game for a while. Finally PS4 to PS5 is more of a evolution as we are on the same architecture so development should be much smoother than switching from PS3 cell architecture to PS4.

I stand by my prediction of
Horizon 2
Silent Hill
Gran Turismo 7
Ratchet and Clank Sequel
Arrowhead Games New IP
Demon's Souls Remake

Vroadstar

saintjules

I read somewhere that they waited this long so it can be more professional?

Alanah mentioned it during a Kinda Funny segment today

Edit: Seems Jeff Grubb chimed in to mention that it's possible we see the hardware in a wired article, but would definitely see it before the end of June 3rd. Juicy stuff

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Optimist in me: Sony has a lot to show and offer with this presentation. They could really use this opportunity to blow our minds.

Pessimist in me: Every next gen announcement has sucked this far (except UE5), and the last time I got excited for PlayStation this happened
KflH21S.jpg

Perrott

Gold Member
Another thing in regards to other reveals other than games. I expect Sony to also announce their version of Smart Delivery with a few 3rd party games showcased to use this (Watch Dogs 2, Avengers).
It already exists: its called CROSS-BUY and has been a thing since 2012.

If you combine PS4 Meeting and PS4 E3. We had
Killzone Shadowfall
Driveclub
inFamous Second Son
Dreams
Knack
Resogun
The Order

That's 7 PS4 exclusives shown.
Dreams wasn't properly announced until E3 2015 and Resogun was first introduced at GamesCom in 2013, and to be fair it was a much smaller title than the others. In any case, you could replace both of them with Deep Down and still say that Sony had 6 major PS4 exclusives announced by june.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Confirmed June 4th

From the blog:
With each generation, from the first PlayStation to PlayStation 4, we aim higher and we push the boundaries further, to try and deliver better experiences for our community. This has been the mission of the PlayStation brand for more than 25 years. A mission I have been a part of nearly since the beginning.

There are few things as exciting as the launch of a new console. While this road to launch has been a bit…different, we are as thrilled as ever to bring you with us on this journey to redefine the future of videogames.

We’ve shared technical specifications and shown you the new DualSense wireless controller. But what is a launch without games?

That’s why I’m excited to share that we will soon give you a first look at the games you’ll be playing after PlayStation 5 launches this holiday. The games coming to PS5 represent the best in the industry from innovative studios that span the globe. Studios, both larger and smaller, those newer and those more established, all have been hard at work developing games that will showcase the potential of the hardware.

This digital showcase will run for a bit more than an hour and, for the first time, we will all be together virtually experiencing the excitement together. A lack of physical events has given us an amazing opportunity to think differently and bring you on this journey with us, and hopefully, closer than ever before. This is part of our series of PS5 updates and, rest assured, after next week’s showcase, we will still have much to share with you.

Please join us on Twitch or YouTube on June 4 at 1pm PDT / 9pm BST / 10pm CEST to see what’s in store for the next generation of games. I hope we can make you proud.
Says it'll be about an hour long. Seems this event will focus on games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom