• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Dualsense back button attachment / back paddles

Do you want back paddles on your Dualsense controller?

• Total voters

regawdless

Banned
After Sony released the back button attachment for the Dualshock 4, I got my hopes up for back paddles on the PS5 controller.

As we now know, the Dualsense doesn't have back paddles. Which would be fine, if they'd offer a similar optional attachment. But it's not available (yet).

I had my DS4 modded and the back paddles are great, you can keep aiming while you dodge or jump. No need anymore to swap between the right stick and the buttons all the time.

The Xbox Elite gives you back paddles, companies like SCUF can mod you old DS4. But no option yet for the Dualsense unfortunately.

What do you say, jay or nay to back paddles?

Soodanim

I'm all for them. Forget the "advantage" thing, your TV can give you an advantage in that sense.

If you think it's a quality of life upgrade, it's worth it. I would like the option.

Hostile_18

Banned
I hear you. I'm not playing competitive online games, so it's no factor for me. But it certainly does give the player an advantage, even if it's only a small one.

I also feel that if it was essential to the experience Sony would have included them on the standard controller 😊.

INC

Why this wasn't included on either controller at launch is just odd to me

I'm sure the xbx elite controller will have it tho, didn't the last one?

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Absolutely they should either release the Back Button Attachment or come out with a Pro controller.

I'm so used to it that it's just not comfortable playing without it. DualSense is already an amazing controller and the Back Button Attachment or Pro version would put it over the top for me.

No sure why folks are down voting options so strange.

Kdad

Was shocked it wasn't part of the base design...especially with them adding it to PS4 at its end of life...like why bother at that point?

Expect it to be rolled out with the PS5 Pro Xmas 2022

OutRun88

Absolutely they should either release the Back Button Attachment or come out with a Pro controller.

I'm so used to it that it's just not comfortable playing without it. DualSense is already an amazing controller and the Back Button Attachment or Pro version would put it over the top for me.

No sure why folks are down voting options so strange.
They literally say why a few posts in.

regawdless

Banned
Was shocked it wasn't part of the base design...especially with them adding it to PS4 at its end of life...like why bother at that point?

I hope so!

I would love them to make a Pro controller, even when it's pricey. Will still be cheaper and better quality than those overpriced SCUF controllers.

OutRun88

Again, if it's an option how does that affect them? And if you're competitive and don't want paddles then trust me you're not competitive as you think you are.
If you’re a top console player without paddles, you probably would prefer they don’t exist to stay at the top (assuming paddles give people that big of an advantage that you would be relegated)

Paddles are relatively new. Back in the day no one had them, ergo people utilized the “claw” grip.

You are correct in that sweaty gamers will use them if available, but that doesn’t mean they can’t wish they didn’t exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTK

jigglet

Banned

Yeah given how late in the PS4 life cycle they introduced that attachment, I assumed it was to bring it to parity with PS5. I mean otherwise what's the point? The sales would have been shit. Makes no sense.

Arkam

Yeah given how late in the PS4 life cycle they introduced that attachment, I assumed it was to bring it to parity with PS5. I mean otherwise what's the point? The sales would have been shit. Makes no sense.
A similar reason as to why it is only on the Elite in the MS Ecosystem. Both apparently see it as a feature only for the 'hardcore'.

regawdless

Banned

This was my assumption as well. Because that late into the gen, the "hardcore" gamers all already have custom controllers with back paddles.

I don't plan to buy a PS5 in the near future, but would love to use the Dualsense on PC. Guess I'll have to wait.

It's probably pretty awkward to make the haptic feedback work on them, if they manage to get it done then I'm sure there'll be an attachment made.

It's probably pretty awkward to make the haptic feedback work on them, if they manage to get it done then I'm sure there'll be an attachment made.

There's no haptic feedback on the buttons of the dual sense, and that's really all paddle accessories are there to mirror. If I could use the back button attachment on a dual sense, it wouldn't make the haptic feedback feel any different.

HTK

Banned
If you’re a top console player without paddles, you probably would prefer they don’t exist to stay at the top (assuming paddles give people that big of an advantage that you would be relegated)

Paddles are relatively new. Back in the day no one had them, ergo people utilized the “claw” grip.

You are correct in that sweaty gamers will use them if available, but that doesn’t mean they can’t wish they didn’t exist.

I used to just play on the regular pad, but it's definitely limiting. Once you get used to the paddles there is just no going back. I don't agree with Regular Pad vs SCUF or w/e but at this point on the highly competitive scene, everyone has a SCUF or paddles.

I feel like paddles are more than just a "competitive advantage" it is just more comfortable to do certain things in games.

I compare it to M&KB, when I play on PC certain movements and things are so seamless that on the gamepad it's a nightmare or requires more work. This comfort if you will enable the player to execute the things they want more comfortably. I don't know, I guess I'm Team remove the barrier between the player and the controller so you can be the best player you can be.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PC gamers beat their chests about the genius of M&KB you can see SONY gamers smirking because of their new controller.

Allforce

I hadn't thought of this but I absolutely want a back paddle attachment on the PS5 controller. I've been using that and some Kontrol Freeks stick attachments and they're a total game changer for stuff like Modern Warfare.

I won't be able to go back to having no back paddles, ugh.

jaysius

Banned
They add a fucked up lag to the response time of the PS Button in games like Rainbow Six Siege, they'd have to FIX that before I'd like to see one on a PS5.

The real shame of both parties this gen is they didn't spend R&D on back paddles, back paddles that are INTEGRATED into the actual design from the word go would be far better and have more people adjusting to them, because the solutions we have now are all half assed(even that bizarre SCUF PS4 thing).

jonnyXx

I love the back button attachment. I booted up Doom Eternal on my PS5 and my muscle memory was still trying to hit the back buttons to jump and dodge... I feel handicapped without it.

I really hope they release a back button attachment for the DualSense and I really really hope it doesn't release at the end of the system's life cycle like PS4.

Please Sony.

FrankWza

I don’t see how it’s going to stay in place. The DS4 back button had 2 inputs that kept it from potentially twisting. The 3.5 jack and the aux port. Dualsense doesn’t. They would need to make it so that it clips into the removable plate maybe. Unless they have it clip behind the controller into the USB port as well. Then they would need 2 pass throughs on one accessory which I doubt they’d do. I think they’ll just make a Dualsense Pro with the back button built in. But I’ll take it either way

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don’t see how it’s going to stay in place. The DS4 back button had 2 inputs that kept it from potentially twisting. The 3.5 jack and the aux port. Dualsense doesn’t. They would need to make it so that it clips into the removable plate maybe. Unless they have it clip behind the controller into the USB port as well. Then they would need 2 pass throughs on one accessory which I doubt they’d do. I think they’ll just make a Dualsense Pro with the back button built in. But I’ll take it either way
They could easily make clips that hug the back and attach near the USB-C port. Even the charge/port near the AUX could support it as once it's in it doesn't require much to hold into place as you're only putting force into it from the buttons.

FrankWza

They could easily make clips that hug the back and attach near the USB-C port. Even the charge/port near the AUX could support it as once it's in it doesn't require much to hold into place as you're only putting force into it from the buttons.

yeah, that would move more into paddle territory. What about 2 different accessories? A back button like on DS4 and paddles that attach via USB.The back button with audio pass through and the paddle with USB pass through. This way, you can have either or both. 2 or 4

To those who voted no:

tenor.gif

Options always good. I tried my friends Scuf and it was great I’m living in the past. Only problem is my other friend had such trouble with their customer service when his broke

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
Options always good. I tried my friends Scuf and it was great I’m living in the past. Only problem is my other friend had such trouble with their customer service when his broke

I had two SCUFs and the quality is kinda shitty. Those back paddles were in part breaking where they're screwed to the controller, making them feel muddy.

That's why I hope for an official attachment from Sony, so I don't have to give SCUF my money again for their overpriced low quality solutions.

There's no haptic feedback on the buttons of the dual sense, and that's really all paddle accessories are there to mirror. If I could use the back button attachment on a dual sense, it wouldn't make the haptic feedback feel any different.
Fair enough. I just assumed that it was on all parts of the controller.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm really missing my back buttons while playing the new COD :messenger_crying:

My brain got so used to any game with a sliding mechanic to use it with the back button on the right side that when I was playing Horizon and had to use my other controller, I couldn't figure out what button made me slide. It was hard to re-adjust to having to take my thumb off the stick to hit a face button.

Top Bottom