• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 doesn't let you store PS5 games on external HDD

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So you can store them, that's why.

This is undeniably a bad thing and so far the worst thing about the PS5. They need fix it as soon as possible.
Store games? Buy discs maybe?
That's a moot point. Nobody goes through hassle to copy console games to external HDD for storage...

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Store games? But discs maybe?
That's a moot point. Nobody goes through hassle to copy console games to external HDD for storage...

Don't be rational like that on GAF. Everybody knows people choose their console depending on cold storage abilities.

I preferred buying the one with the best games, but I'm just the vocal minority.

Fnord

Sony seems really slow on issues like this. Remember how long it took them to allow external HDDs on PS4?

The difference there was that I don't think Sony ever really intended for external storage to be used for game installations on the PS4, opting instead for upgrading the internal drive. They had an upgrade path in place and expected people to use it. External installations were very much an afterthought. Now that they've done it, they have to know that they'll need to at least set up external local storage at some point.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Even if you buy discs, you have to download patches. When you move a game on PS4, you move the game + patches + dlc. Don’t be dumb
But why. It's a fucking console... Get a pc if you want to do this miserable crap. Why people always find stuff do make things more difficult.
Sony will sell their ssds. You can but 10 and swap away your games... If the internet falls but it will never. You know... Internet is here to stay

Last edited:

Fnord

Because currently, there's no reason to do so. Why would anyone "store" a console game on an external HDD rather than just having it run from the external HDD?

Jigga117

Because move 50gb from my external hard Drive are 20 minutes, but downloading several hours? What about if you have a problem with your internet? You cant download anything
in a lot of games this won't matter because you have no internet you can't play either way.

Jigga117

Because currently, there's no reason to do so. Why would anyone "store" a console game on an external HDD rather than just having it run from the external HDD?
It is called storage drive for a reason so....This shouldn't be hard to figure out why you would want the capability.
Your limited to a 667GB and regardless of opinions of BC people still need/want access to their stuff outside of having to constantly download. Not everyone has Gig speed and unlimited data for their service.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned

I do. As do most of my PS4 and Xbox One owning friends....it’s easier and faster than waiting to redownload and keeping an eye on a data cap for me with my house being in a monopoly area with only one ISP option.

I’m sure it will get patched in later, but it’s a bummer to miss it with the limited SSD space and I’ll have 100gb+ eaten up day one from Borderlands 3.

Last edited:

Redlight

If you want to play those games at their best you get a pc. You wanna play exclusives you need a PS5 or a switch. Simple. Only one console is redundant. The poor mans pc. Sorry about that.
Remember this week:
while some people are trying to decide if:
-they’ll play MM with or without RT.
-Before Demons Souls or after?
-should I play Astro while I decide and test out Dualsense
-Can I finish all these games before Ratchet?
- Should I get Godfall too?

others will think:
-let’s check BC load times and compare.
-let’s go to the PS5 threads and talk about gamepass.
News Flash;
Console gamers play on consoles, not PC's.

Your list is strangely defensive, are you sure you're confident about your purchase? There is a easy counter-argument as first-party games are not the only games, or for many even the best games being released at launch.

- Will I play Legion with or without ray tracing?
- before Valhalla, Dirt 5, Cold War or after?
- Or test out the hundreds of FREE games on Gamepass (including NEW titles like Gears Tactics), using the latest iteration of the industry's leading controller.
- Can I finish all these games before Cyberpunk?
- Should I get Godfall too? (BTW, you should wait and play Godfall on your PC according to your own logic.)

others will think:
-let's delete and re-download games that we can't store.
-Let's downplay and dismiss any potential PS5 issues.

Loxus

"Having said that expandability of our SSD is going to be quite important flash is costly and you may very well want to add storage to whatever we put in the console."
"Now the kind of storage you need depends on how you're going to use it if you have an extensive PlayStation 4 library and you'd like to take advantage of backwards compatibility to play those games on PlayStation 5 then a large external hard drive is ideal."
"You can leave your games on the hard drive and play them directly from there thus saving the pricier SSD storage for your PlayStation 5 titles or you can copy your active PlayStation 4 titles to the SSD."

"If your purpose in adding more storage is to play PlayStation 5 titles though ideally you would add to your SSD storage."
"We will be supporting certain M.2 SSDs."
"These are internal drives that you can get on the open market and install in a bay in the PlayStation 5."
"As for which ones we support and when I'll get to that in a moment."
"They connect through the custom I/O unit just like our SSD does."
"So they can take full advantage of the decompression I/O coprocessors and all the other features I was talking about."

"Here's the catch though that commercial drive has to be at least as fast as ours games that rely on the speed of our SSD need to work flawlessly with M.2 drive."

Base on Mark Cerny's Road to PS5.
It sounds like USB external hard drive is only for PS4 titles, while the M.2 SSD which adds to the SSD storage is for PS5 titles.

My question is, isn't this article talking about USB external hard drive storage?
From the article:
"When plugging an external hard drive into the PS5, it’s made pretty clear that you can’t store PS5 games on an external with phrases such as “You can install PS4 games to extended storage and play them directly from there”."

So for, it sound like the M.2 SSD storage maybe under embargo or hidden behind a lunch day update for reasons unknow.

Last edited:

FrankWza

News Flash;

Your list is strangely defensive, are you sure you're confident about your purchase? There is a easy counter-argument as first-party games are not the only games, or for many even the best games being released at launch.

- Or test out the hundreds of FREE games on Gamepass (including NEW titles like Gears Tactics), using the latest iteration of the industry's leading controller.
- Should I get Godfall too? (BTW, you should wait and play Godfall on your PC according to your own logic.)

others will think:
You may want to read back a few quotes. You know, for context. Maybe realize what we were discussing. Just to give you an understanding, every game you talk about is on PC except the PS5 exclusives. That renders the x redundant.

Hezekiah

Banned
News Flash;

others will think:
GTOH with that bullshit, almost every reviewer is saying the Dualsense shits on Microsoft's rehashed controller.

P.S. Assassin's Creed is shit now. The only reason some people are bigging it up (along with 15 month old games like Gears 5 and Gears Tactics) is because they're buying an Xbox and all the first-party games are delayed. If Cyberpunk gets delayed again Xbox gamers are screwed with no choice but to play AC, COD and old games on GamePass.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
It is obvious that ps5 games won't work from a external hdd or ssd.
Sony / cerny already said you wont be able to upgrade ssd until later.

zombrex

Copying games back and forth games is going to kill the life of the internal SSD.
This is something they are no doubt considering.

Hezekiah

Banned
It is obvious that ps5 games won't work from a external hdd or ssd.
Sony / cerny already said you wont be able to upgrade ssd until later.
Yeah but this is just about storage. It'll be added sooner rather than later, just a few snowflakes creating a drama about it.

Jigga117

GTOH with that bullshit, almost every reviewer is saying the Dualsense shits on Microsoft's rehashed controller.

P.S. Assassin's Creed is shit now. The only reason some people are bigging it up (along with 15 month old games like Gears 5 and Gears Tactics) is because they're buying an Xbox and all the first-party games are delayed. If Cyberpunk gets delayed again Xbox gamers are screwed with no choice but to play AC, COD and old games on GamePass.
When did this become a Sin to play games released prior to last week? I mean it’s funny and stupid to make comments like this yet GTA has been selling for 10 years and consistently being played and again about to get another current gen update.
Don’t buy a PC since your not getting exclusives for the 3000 and AMD RDNA 2 cards either 🤣

this is the only hobby I know people point this out as some negative.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
When did this become a Sin to play games released prior to last week? I mean it’s funny and stupid to make comments like this yet GTA has been selling for 10 years and consistently being played and again about to get another current gen update.
Don’t buy a PC since your not getting exclusives for the 3000 and AMD RDNA 2 cards either 🤣

I never said it was a sin - but it is hilarious to see Xbox zealots try to shit on Miles Morales, while their machine of choice has no launch exclusives and they're constantly talking about old games and backwards-compatibility.

P.S. I have a PC. I also have Gears. But for the life of me I couldn't imagine bragging about Gears Tactics after dropping £400 on a new console 😁.

FrankWza

it’s not. Not at all. Playing older games and having BC is a great feature. But that’s what it is, a feature. It’s not why people buy new consoles. We happen to be at a point in time where consoles and TVs are both capable of pairing for some amazing features. Sony has 2 titles on launch day and at least another inside the launch window that are showcasing the systems power and new technologies. One has the best implementation of ray tracing available according to devs and industry experts. The other is the best looking game available when it launches. They both load insanely fast. Historically, consoles rarely ever have this type of showing at launch, sometimes not even in the first year after release. Sony has 2 and theyre AAA.

MrFunSocks

Banned
you can move PS4 games from the external to the internal SSD.
I know, that’s what I’m saying.......

So people will be storing PS4 and ps5 games on the internal, and there is no expansion storage supported yet along with no ps5 game storage on externals, so those ~650gb HDDs are gonna fill up real quick.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Well, it shouldn’t be that much of a deal. Even though Playstation actually has some PS5 exclusive games i can’t imagine the internal ssd will fill up before there is an alternative solution (either cold storage of PS5 games via software update or compatible drives for the expansion port).

I was waiting for someone to post it wasn't a big deal. Just about everything Sony doesn't do is never a "big deal" here it seems.

Sony could have the dual sense last only 30 minutes before needing a charge and people would argue "Well, that's not a big deal, just buy more batteries.".

Seriously....

FrankWza

Thanks. I should know considering I have one sitting in a box (haven't taken it out yet).

The point stands though.

on the record, I would be unhappy if the Dualsense lasted 30 minutes. ;)
I think the reason people who are getting a PS5 are not too upset about this thread issue is that it was stated a long time ago, back in March, that expandable storage was going to be an issue due to the SSD speed and possible bottlenecks. They may never have said external HDD wouldn’t work for PS5 games initially, but, everyone knew the game was going to have to be copied to the installed SSD anyway until compatible solutions became available that could go in the nvme slot. That’s why people following are notshocked. It’s not ideal, but it’s also not permanently disabled.
It’s shaping up to be an overwhelmingly positive launch based on what we know today. When you’re putting out a console this powerful and introducing this many new features and technologies, you deserve a little slack when everything isn’t 100% perfect. But these are just features, not core. As a company, they appear to have addressed our concerns fromPS4 and given us new features that we weren’t expecting. Most importantly there’s plenty to do and play on day 1 and the systems power and capabilities will be on display immediately. That’s why PS5 buyers are happy with Sony.I don’t think thats people being fanboys or sticking up for everything they do. It’s just fair.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have a ps4 external HDD of 4tb basically filled.. the more important question IMO is..
will i be able to just plug that HDD in my ps5 and play my ps4 games on my ps5. (Same psn account obv..) or do i need to download/install 4tb of shit again.

now that’s the real question.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
on the record, I would be unhappy if the Dualsense lasted 30 minutes. ;)
I think the reason people who are getting a PS5 are not too upset about this thread issue is that it was stated a long time ago, back in March, that expandable storage was going to be an issue due to the SSD speed and possible bottlenecks. They may never have said external HDD wouldn’t work for PS5 games initially, but, everyone knew the game was going to have to be copied to the installed SSD anyway until compatible solutions became available that could go in the nvme slot. That’s why people following are notshocked. It’s not ideal, but it’s also not permanently disabled.
It’s shaping up to be an overwhelmingly positive launch based on what we know today. When you’re putting out a console this powerful and introducing this many new features and technologies, you deserve a little slack when everything isn’t 100% perfect. But these are just features, not core. As a company, they appear to have addressed our concerns fromPS4 and given us new features that we weren’t expecting. Most importantly there’s plenty to do and play on day 1 and the systems power and capabilities will be on display immediately. That’s why PS5 buyers are happy with Sony.I don’t think thats people being fanboys or sticking up for everything they do. It’s just fair.
giphy.gif

FrankWza

I have a ps4 external HDD of 4tb basically filled.. the more important question IMO is..
will i be able to just plug that HDD in my ps5 and play my ps4 games on my ps5. (Same psn account obv..) or do i need to download/install 4tb of shit again.

now that’s the real question.

no you’re good

FrankWza

Thanks. I should know considering I have one sitting in a box (haven't taken it out yet).

The point stands though.

You got a Dualsense to stare at or are you getting a PS5 and an x but you hate people defending Sony so much and because you’re unhappy with how they’re handling this launch? Do you dislike puppies and kittens? Is ice cream just disgusting frozen milk to you? Do you deliberately purge after a great meal at a 3 star restaurant just to make a point that you could have gotten equally full with a bag of chips?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
You got a Dualsense to stare at or are you getting a PS5 and an x but you hate people defending Sony so much and because you’re unhappy with how they’re handling this launch? Do you dislike puppies and kittens? Is ice cream just disgusting frozen milk to you? Do you deliberately purge after a great meal at a 3 star restaurant just to make a point that you could have gotten equally full with a bag of chips?
I got both systems. I just don't like how Sony has gone about things. There has been some deliberate obfuscation of messaging.

Yes right now the dual sense is just to look at.

PXL_20201107_202903960.jpg

I can be a fan and be critical. Can you?

FrankWza

I can be a fan and be critical. Can you?

I can. I can also not complain about every single inconvenience that I come across. You think every reason is an excuse. It isn’t. You’re not going to be completely happy about anything. This thread is about a temporary inconvenience that we knew about. Itisn’t significant. I would be unhappy if I had no next gen games to play and if the system was as loud as thePS4 pro was. It’s the best launch for a system in 20 years. Enjoy it.

Jigga117

I never said it was a sin - but it is hilarious to see Xbox zealots try to shit on Miles Morales, while their machine of choice has no launch exclusives and they're constantly talking about old games and backwards-compatibility.

P.S. I have a PC. I also have Gears. But for the life of me I couldn't imagine bragging about Gears Tactics after dropping £400 on a new console 😁.
Yet PC gamers are doing exactly this for a $1500 Gpu

fallingdove

I wanna master the art of finding excuses for the company I like, like 79% of people are doing here for Sony 😔
Ahh, but you and many others already have mastered the art of excuses.

In fact, Xbox fans are the grandmaster of this - many of you purchasing multiple Xbox Ones on the promise of new games. But when these amazing games fail to materialize, you justify your investment with “at least I can keep playing the same games I have been for the last 20 years on this latest system”.

You’re in luck, MS is releasing a copy/pasted Xbox One with more horsepower to keep your highly polished excuses and general naivety going.

SonicSleuth

People sure are pissed off about some pretty unnecessary tech that isn't available AT LAUNCH. The same critics who say "There aren't enough PS5 exclusives!" are like "Where am I going to store all my exclusives?" LMAO. Okay, dudes. Calm down. If your interest is just loading up the SSD with games as quick as you can, you're not a gamer, you're a collector. That's fine. They'll get around to you eventually, just not on November 12.

I wonder if it has to do with the decompression?
We know the PS5 has twice the raw throughput than the XSX, and we know BC games on XSX arnt using XVA, so it has to be something to do with the decompression.
MS are the kings of software, and the kings of BC, so during their work on BC they altered the decompression software, while Sony stuck with the old version?
I don't know.

GenericUser

They are gonna patch it in soon, I'm sure. Swapping betweens the hyper fast internal ssd and an external regular ssd is currently the only way to deal with the very limited storage space on next gen consoles.

BuntesFeuer

Neo Member
I was waiting for someone to post it wasn't a big deal. Just about everything Sony doesn't do is never a "big deal" here it seems.

Sony could have the dual sense last only 30 minutes before needing a charge and people would argue "Well, that's not a big deal, just buy more batteries.".

Seriously....
I am glad i could please you. :messenger_winking:

BuntesFeuer

Neo Member
absolutely, enjoy! But you can enjoy anything from x on a pc if you really want to maximize your experience. For exclusives, you need aPS5 or switch
I actually fully agree to your point here, exclusives are absolutely the last reason i would buy an xbox for, because, well, right now there simply are none. And while i have a quite capable PC connected to my TV i somehow still prefer the console experience.
Luxury problems.... :messenger_grinning:
But this is getting off topic, sorry for that.

thelastword

Banned
"Having said that expandability of our SSD is going to be quite important flash is costly and you may very well want to add storage to whatever we put in the console."
"Now the kind of storage you need depends on how you're going to use it if you have an extensive PlayStation 4 library and you'd like to take advantage of backwards compatibility to play those games on PlayStation 5 then a large external hard drive is ideal."
"You can leave your games on the hard drive and play them directly from there thus saving the pricier SSD storage for your PlayStation 5 titles or you can copy your active PlayStation 4 titles to the SSD."

"If your purpose in adding more storage is to play PlayStation 5 titles though ideally you would add to your SSD storage."
"We will be supporting certain M.2 SSDs."
"These are internal drives that you can get on the open market and install in a bay in the PlayStation 5."
"As for which ones we support and when I'll get to that in a moment."
"They connect through the custom I/O unit just like our SSD does."
"So they can take full advantage of the decompression I/O coprocessors and all the other features I was talking about."

"Here's the catch though that commercial drive has to be at least as fast as ours games that rely on the speed of our SSD need to work flawlessly with M.2 drive."

Base on Mark Cerny's Road to PS5.
It sounds like USB external hard drive is only for PS4 titles, while the M.2 SSD which adds to the SSD storage is for PS5 titles.

My question is, isn't this article talking about USB external hard drive storage?
From the article:
"When plugging an external hard drive into the PS5, it’s made pretty clear that you can’t store PS5 games on an external with phrases such as “You can install PS4 games to extended storage and play them directly from there”."

So for, it sound like the M.2 SSD storage maybe under embargo or hidden behind a lunch day update for reasons unknow.
I know that Sony clearly stated that you won't be able to do this, it's clearly written, but people are pretending they tricked us and they kept it hidden under NDA and these persons are now forwarding all these disingenuous takes.....
Bummer for people like me with only one ISP option and stuck with a data cap that makes deleting and redownloading less than ideal.

That said, I imagine they’ll patch in being able to store PS5 games on an external and copy back over to the SSD to play eventually. You can do that on XSX even though you can’t play those games from the external there either.

In the meantime I’ll just buy disc versions for even games I don’t want to beat and sals so I can at least redownloading the base game file when I need to free up space but want to play again later on.

They probably are getting at what I did above. Deleting and redownloading as needed for space constraints sucks for people with datacaps and/or slower Internet where downloads take a while. Having the disc just means reinstalling from it and then redownloading any updates.
Well sadly gaming is taking a turn to digital services. I have been completely digital all of this gen. Then people consume netflix on a daily. many companies want to or are delivering streaming services like PSNOW, MS with Xcloud, Google with Stadia and more......With gamepass, you need to download your games and nobody complains when they have to download games when propping up gamepass......Thing is more and more you need a noncapped internet connection. I also fail to see why someone would want to download a game place it on the USB drive for the off chance that they may play it later. Even now, people load their PS4 drives with games that sits there forever. It's no big deal you can download the games when you are really going to play because you will waste a download for months or years anyway...

John from Digital Foundry is that kind of guy, he complains of the most trivial thing. Having cold storage of PS5 games on the USB may be easier for him when he wants to test games, but Sony has not delivered a System just to make everything easy for Digital Foundry members. I'm sure he is not the one paying for the internet connection at Eurogamer, so he can surely set up his camera if he has to spend 7 minutes downloading a 50 GB file........Soon he will be complaining that transferring from USB to SSD is taking too long. There is always something.... I mean the guy says the music playing in the background on each UI game icon may be annoying to some......For the love of Crom, I'm pretty sure you can turn that off if it bothers you. He is that type of person that's a bit too whiny for triviality, John complained that people could set the PS4 to 1080p and get better performance in many PS4 games, he wanted that in the game menu itself. So any developer who did not offer supersampling from higher rez, you could boost frames from the OS, which is a good thing, but the fact that many other outlets discovered many games with boosted 1080p modes in the OS and he did not, he complained and of course hitting the PS button and going into the video settings menu is too much work........Everything has to be tailored to what makes DF's work easier on PS5...

Because move 50gb from my external hard Drive are 20 minutes, but downloading several hours? What about if you have a problem with your internet? You cant download anything
The truth is SSD expansion drives are coming, when you download your PS5 games to them, they are ready to play, no transfers necessary. That was said a long time ago. Having cold storage of your PS5 games may be convenient in some scenarios, but not necessary, you can't use it unless you transfer anyway. The console has not even launched and people are already nitpicking. There will be day 1 patches and clearly there are things Sony wants to keep under wraps still. Cerny also said that custom SSD's will be tested for launch and even beyond launch. So the drama on no cold storage and no custom SSD's at OS level right now is just a push for console wars at best. There is no way I as a gamer would put a PS5 game on a USB hdd for cold storage. I would fill it with PS4/PS3 games instead.....When they give a go on expansion SSD's. I would just load more PS5 games there....Simple..

Hezekiah

Banned
Yet PC gamers are doing exactly this for a $1500 Gpu
The number of PC gamers with a $1500 GPU are very low. The number of those buying them to primarily play Gears Tactics (and games like it) is miniscule.

Get real.

Last edited:

Montauk

I know that Sony clearly stated that you won't be able to do this, it's clearly written, but people are pretending they tricked us and they kept it hidden under NDA and these persons are now forwarding all these disingenuous takes.....

Well sadly gaming is taking a turn to digital services. I have been completely digital all of this gen. Then people consume netflix on a daily. many companies want to or are delivering streaming services like PSNOW, MS with Xcloud, Google with Stadia and more......With gamepass, you need to download your games and nobody complains when they have to download games when propping up gamepass......Thing is more and more you need a noncapped internet connection. I also fail to see why someone would want to download a game place it on the USB drive for the off chance that they may play it later. Even now, people load their PS4 drives with games that sits there forever. It's no big deal you can download the games when you are really going to play because you will waste a download for months or years anyway...

John from Digital Foundry is that kind of guy, he complains of the most trivial thing. Having cold storage of PS5 games on the USB may be easier for him when he wants to test games, but Sony has not delivered a System just to make everything easy for Digital Foundry members. I'm sure he is not the one paying for the internet connection at Eurogamer, so he can surely set up his camera if he has to spend 7 minutes downloading a 50 GB file........Soon he will be complaining that transferring from USB to SSD is taking too long. There is always something.... I mean the guy says the music playing in the background on each UI game icon may be annoying to some......For the love of Crom, I'm pretty sure you can turn that off if it bothers you. He is that type of person that's a bit too whiny for triviality, John complained that people could set the PS4 to 1080p and get better performance in many PS4 games, he wanted that in the game menu itself. So any developer who did not offer supersampling from higher rez, you could boost frames from the OS, which is a good thing, but the fact that many other outlets discovered many games with boosted 1080p modes in the OS and he did not, he complained and of course hitting the PS button and going into the video settings menu is too much work........Everything has to be tailored to what makes DF's work easier on PS5...

The truth is SSD expansion drives are coming, when you download your PS5 games to them, they are ready to play, no transfers necessary. That was said a long time ago. Having cold storage of your PS5 games may be convenient in some scenarios, but not necessary, you can't use it unless you transfer anyway. The console has not even launched and people are already nitpicking. There will be day 1 patches and clearly there are things Sony wants to keep under wraps still. Cerny also said that custom SSD's will be tested for launch and even beyond launch. So the drama on no cold storage and no custom SSD's at OS level right now is just a push for console wars at best. There is no way I as a gamer would put a PS5 game on a USB hdd for cold storage. I would fill it with PS4/PS3 games instead.....When they give a go on expansion SSD's. I would just load more PS5 games there....Simple..

The expansion drives will no doubt be more expensive than external HDDs or external regular SSDs.

Making excuses for this, defending it, is just desperate fanboy stuff. It's bad, there's no way to spin this as not a bad thing. The Xbox can do it and Sony should do it.

vkbest

With the money you spent on 1TB SSD for PS5, you can get 12 TFLOPS for backups.

Top Bottom