• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 doesn't let you store PS5 games on external HDD

Rayderism

Are+you+implying+that+zombies+are+not+supernatural+creatures+theyre+_ad1e35034ecedb9f8e4f2413dfe0ccb1.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But you lose the benefit of the quicker SSD and are essentially just playing on a more expensive PS4.
The point is external HDD cant even store PS5 games in case the starting internal SSD gets full.

So if you have too many PS5 games to fit the internal SSD, you have to delete some first, and then redownload the PS5 game you want to play. And then if you want to play the game you deleted, you have to delete another game to free up space again and redownload the one you deleted.

The external HDD cannot be used as temp storage for PS5 games.

Last edited:
But you lose the benefit of the quicker SSD and are essentially just playing on a more expensive PS4.

It's probably worth saving the storage space, you'll still get better performance in games that need it and allow for it so it's still better than the pro.

HUELEN10

Even the Wii had copy to NAND from external expansion (via SD Card) to boot from NAND and offload capabilities.

How do you not have what even Wii had?!?!?!

bender

What time is it?
Kinda weird that people have absolute faith in PS5 updates now.

Look at where the PS3 and PS4 OS started and where they sit today. Sony doesn't do as drastic of overhauls as Microsoft does with Xbox but the track record is there for new features and functionality. I've been listening to PS5 impressions this evening and the one sentiment is that it feels rushed and unfinished. As unfortunate as that news is the one silver lining is that Sony will listen to feedback and improve the experience. And if you had a checklist of must have features for launch day, archiving PS5 games isn't going to be at the top of the list as the vast majority of users aren't going to fill up the fridge day one.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Lol with call of duty being more than 200gb, those SSD gonna be filling fast af
You've never developed software, obviously. What is the timeline on any significant percentage of the userbase filling the SSD with PS5 games? That is determined by the number of games multiplied by their size. For 2020, you'd have to buy every single PS5 game, and install every single one, and I'm not even sure that totals 667GB, even with COD. And here's the kicker, even if that was possible, you're talking about single-digit percentage of your users being affected by it. This constitutes a low-priority ticket, because eventhough those users represent your whales, this isn't a case of breaking usage, but imposing an inconvenience. There is still an alternative for these whales: install only what you will be able to play, and delete/install when necessary. These whales will have good internet. Anyone installing that amount of games also has lots of free time on their hands. Again, low-priority ticket.

I'm not interested in console warring. I develop software, and we make priority calls on literally every feature, improvement, and bug. This is all part of the process. I'm revamping the UI in one of my apps, and I set the priority on a cool new QoL feature that I want to add to low. Why? While it's a nice feature, it's not the main priority. With COVID causing us to drop a few devs, and shift priorities around on the suite, I have to prioritize getting the feature completed that affect the vast majority of my users. The new features won't be removed, only done later in the dev cycle, which means it might be delayed until after launch of the UI update. There are other methods of performing the same functionality, just with a few more steps added. Sound familiar? I'm 99.9% certain that's the case right now with the PS5 UI.

I'm no game developer, and I don't even do any coding. But product management has a lot of commonalities between sectors and industries. Even adding in old features into a new product requires planning and prioritizing. Depending on your timeline for release, you get the big ticket items in first. If there's something that has an alternate solution that's covered by one of those big ticket features, then that automatically lowers the priority of the smaller ticket. It's common sense and proper resource allocation. I'm actually getting a PS5, and the drive size is the least of my concerns. I won't have enough games for that to be a concern, and historical launch attach rates suggest this is the case for the vast majority of gamers.

Feel free to console war all you want. I'm only interested in sharing some knowledge of the development process.

Last edited:

Schmick

This thread is really cynical, you know fully well that a PS5 game on an HDD would never work. The speeds provided by USB cables aren't nearly fast enough, neither is the Drive part of the HDD. Very unpleasant.

This is the bottom line.
I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or you simply missed the point of the thread.

The issue isn't whether you can play games on the external. The issue is, you can't store games on a external and transfer to the PS5.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
You've never developed software, obviously. What is the timeline on any significant percentage of the userbase filling the SSD with PS5 games? That is determined by the number of games multiplied by their size. For 2020, you'd have to buy every single PS5 game, and install every single one, and I'm not even sure that totals 667GB, even with COD. And here's the kicker, even if that was possible, you're talking about single-digit percentage of your users being affected by it. This constitutes a low-priority ticket, because eventhough those users represent your whales, this isn't a case of breaking usage, but imposing an inconvenience. There is still an alternative for these whales: install only what you will be able to play, and delete/install when necessary. These whales will have good internet. Anyone installing that amount of games also has lots of free time on their hands. Again, low-priority ticket.

I'm not interested in console warring. I develop software, and we make priority calls on literally every feature, improvement, and bug. This is all part of the process. I'm revamping the UI in one of my apps, and I set the priority on a cool new QoL feature that I want to add to low. Why? While it's a nice feature, it's not the main priority. With COVID causing us to drop a few devs, and shift priorities around on the suite, I have to prioritize getting the feature completed that affect the vast majority of my users. The new features won't be removed, only done later in the dev cycle, which means it might be delayed until after launch of the UI update. There are other methods of performing the same functionality, just with a few more steps added. Sound familiar? I'm 99.9% certain that's the case right now with the PS5 UI.

I'm no game developer, and I don't even do any coding. But product management has a lot of commonalities between sectors and industries. Even adding in old features into a new product requires planning and prioritizing. Depending on your timeline for release, you get the big ticket items in first. If there's something that has an alternate solution that's covered by one of those big ticket features, then that automatically lowers the priority of the smaller ticket. It's common sense and proper resource allocation. I'm actually getting a PS5, and the drive size is the least of my concerns. I won't have enough games for that to be a concern, and historical launch attach rates suggest this is the case for the vast majority of gamers.

Feel free to console war all you want. I'm only interested in sharing some knowledge of the development process.
You seem to be overlooking the fact that PS5 games aren’t the only thing that takes up space on the SSD. You can install BC games there too.

It would absolutely not be a low priority ticket lol.

Last edited:
So many defenders of this shitty news

I dont think this is going to affect a small percentage of people....i think its going to affect a large percentage particularly with people who share consoles with other users and ones that are currently playing the cross gen games and getting the new updates
and then you start getting into the games that are coming like cyberpunk which is also going to be on most people ps5s....that 600gig drive is not going to cut it

the main pain point is that sony have hid behind a NDA and drop this shit 1 week out from launch among other things not disclosed.

Many people don't just sit down and play one game from start to finish...they bounce between titles depending on mood/friends or curiosity and with space being limited i am scratching my head as to how they could overlook a simple function which their competition has and some previous generations have also had this function

The PS5 main point is having super fast storage buts its left out this basic functionality that interacts with this
hopefully this is patched rather quickly

This is such bs tbh , some of these sony moves are so anti consumer its not even funny ,no expansion storage at launch and wouldn't even let store the ps5 games on external drive , blackops and modernwarfare alone would be near 400 gigs

ZywyPL

Banned
So two CoDs and you're done, without any options to expand the space/play additional games... And some guys here have the guts to say "but the SSD is so fast it doesn't matter!"... SMH

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You seem to be overlooking the fact that PS5 games aren’t the only thing that takes up space on the SSD. You can install BC games there too.

It would absolutely not be a low priority ticket lol.

You can play BC games off an external. Don’t make it more dramatic than it already is.

John Day

Now this is a real issue with merit. Maybe not now at launch, but at some point there will be a need to store PS5 games. Would suck to delete them and then wait to download again when you get the itch to replay something.

First world problems, i know, but yeah. Hopefully support for expansion comes soon enough.

Ceadeus

First, thank you for replying. I think you take the subject very seriously. Obviously I don't. I'm no game developer either and not console warring too.

From what we've seen last gen, games just went from big to bigger. The reality will be that our option is to get a secondary SSD because let it be PS5 or Series X, yes those SSD are going to fill up fast. Just like MP3 came out years ago. I don't know your age but when MP3 came out it was so much better than commpact disk but yet, our option were 64mb,128mb,256mb, 512...1gb for the richest kid. I had a 64mb and could only put 11 or 12 songs on it depending on lenght.

I think we're here again. A brand new tech, better than what we had but it comes at a cost.

Yes, we'll be downloading and erasing a lot more. The problem is, that the internet quality of some(most) of us, are not that fast. By now, downloading 50gb for me means 1.5 hours. So I can only imagine what 200gb means. I'm certainly not going to get a better internet because it means almost double de cost per month. I think there is an issue. Not a huge one but yeah...

I'll probably end up buying both console, I really never cared about wich one is better because I simply like everything video game related. Believe me, I'm far from console warring.

Last edited:

martino

I'm really trying to force myself to PS5 purchase over XSX.

No 1440p support
No freesync
No external PS5 games support
No quick resume
Slower BC SSD speeds
Much slower resume boot

I'm ready to switch to Xbox ecosystem at this point.

Sony seems very unprepared in a lot of areas. Keeping so much close to their chest didn't help things.

How many of those are fixable is more the question now ?
I would have took external ps5 games support and 1440p over 4k ui .

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I don't know what's more important really, cold storage of PS5 games on an external disk, or having zero exclusive game at launch.

I'm that close to switch my preorder to the green team boring PC box and give up on next gen games like Miles Morales or Demon's Souls remake and next gen features like haptics.

I always wanted to have the console with the best cold storage, even back when I was a kid.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Xbox Series X games can be stored on external drives.

If you want to play them at Series X speed and perks, you have to have it in the internal SSD or that Seagate card. But in terms of storing it, all old gen and next gen games can be stored on an external HDD.

But you cannot store PS5 games on an external HDD. Nobody knew till now just simply storing PS5 games had to be on SSD.

By now, you probably know that to play next-gen Xbox Series X games, you need to store them either on the internal SSD or the official $220 Seagate 1TB expansion card. When it comes to backward compatible games, however, you can load them from an external USB drive. And if you don’t want to redownload an Xbox Series X game later, you can even store them on external media.

I assume Sony will get this patched in ASAP. These systems need the ability to archive games to slow/cheap storage, without that feature the SSDs become extremely prohibitive.

Ev1L AuRoN

I think this feature is one patch away... I system doesn't even launch. But I hope that they fix this and the lack of VRR support ASAP.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Now this is a real issue with merit. Maybe not now at launch, but at some point there will be a need to store PS5 games. Would suck to delete them and then wait to download again when you get the itch to replay something.

First world problems, i know, but yeah. Hopefully support for expansion comes soon enough.
Would really suck if you have data caps. "I would play that again, but I have to wait until next month to download it."

TTOOLL

No 1440p support
No freesync
No quick resume
Slower BC SSD speeds
Much slower resume boot

Sony seems very unprepared in a lot of areas. Keeping so much close to their chest didn't help things.

Lol at the drama, just don’t buy it, nobody is forcing you to do so

j0hnnix

at least it's more info, just not good info. Sony seems to not have expected the need for additional storage, which is strange it's a big slip up. I'm sure there will be specs for updated internal storage. this is what bothers me with Sony so far , gives off that "eh, oh well, they can deal with it until we decide to provide additional information" feeling.

The whole storage for both systems just feels off-putting.

Last edited:

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ

No 1440p support
No freesync
No quick resume
Slower BC SSD speeds
Much slower resume boot

Great switch to Xbox, 1 less person I have to worry about when trying to get a PS5 on 11-12. Have fun playing last gen games.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Another beauty Sony didn't tell anyone, which testers had to find out and tell gamers a week before launch.

I know, just like they didn't tell us about backward compatibility being better then the Series X in some games:

Richard Leadbetter: "Consider Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. It ran unlocked on PS4 Pro, and it utilised checkerboard rendering to hit 1800p, up against Series X delivering the same pixel count using native rendering. The bottom line is that PS5 hits 60 frames per second, while Series X is more of a 50fps to 60fps experience. In this case, Sekiro has an excellent checkerboard solution that's a great match for Xbox's native rendering - but the improvement to performance is noticeable.".

LOL, the only thing Series X has going for it at launch and it is getting beat on that too, what an embarrassment. Sure Sony needs to address the storage issue a little faster but we have not even hit launch yet

Hopefully the ability to externally store PS5 titles is something Sony is already planning to address in--ideally the near--future. The lack of external storage capabilities isn't a deal breaker, but it would significantly impact my habits around digital purchases.

Top Bottom