• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 doesn't let you store PS5 games on external HDD

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like no PS5 game hot swapping between your HDD and internal SDD right now.

THE PS5 DOESN’T LET YOU STORE PS5 GAMES ON EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES
By Shannon Grixti6 hours ago

One of the more surprising things that I found when reviewing the PS5 is that it doesn’t seem to support external hard drives for PS5 games. It was already confirmed that the internal SSD drive wouldn’t be working at launch (which I also found out after trying a Samsung 980 Pro myself).

When plugging an external hard drive into the PS5, it’s made pretty clear that you can’t store PS5 games on an external with phrases such as “You can install PS4 games to extended storage and play them directly from there”.

Extended-Storage.jpg

At no point is it ever mentioned that you can store PS5 games on the external hard drive.

When trying to move games to the external hard drive that I had plugged in, only PS4 games showed up, which was consistent with that initial message. One saving grace is that you can automatically set the PS5 to install PS4 games on an external hard drive, so that’s pretty handy.

Last edited:

THE PS5 DOESN’T LET YOU STORE PS5 GAMES ON EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES
By Shannon Grixti6 hours ago

One of the more surprising things that I found when reviewing the PS5 is that it doesn’t seem to support external hard drives for PS5 games. It was already confirmed that the internal SSD drive wouldn’t be working at launch (which I also found out after trying a Samsung 980 Pro myself).

When plugging an external hard drive into the PS5, it’s made pretty clear that you can’t store PS5 games on an external with phrases such as “You can install PS4 games to extended storage and play them directly from there”.

Extended-Storage.jpg

At no point is it ever mentioned that you can store PS5 games on the external hard drive.

When trying to move games to the external hard drive that I had plugged in, only PS4 games showed up, which was consistent with that initial message. One saving grace is that you can automatically set the PS5 to install PS4 games on an external hard drive, so that’s pretty handy.
Ouch, and it doesn't help that additional storage doesn't have an ETA or specifics in regards to the requirements for such drives. Time will tell. They should have released different tiers of storage at least.

MastaKiiLA

Wait for a firmware update. I don't even think there are 667GB worth of PS5 games this year, much less at launch. There's no reason they won't have this feature. From a UI development aspect, this would be a low-priority ticket, given there's no need for it yet. Address other features first.

GHG

Gold Member
This paired with the lack of certified SSD's at launch is shit.

I'd imagine this is probably easier to solve since it's something they have absolute control of and they should do something about it, even if its just for BC games for now.

Soodanim

A bad move if that's not being changed. It's so bad that no one even considered it as a possibility. Let's hope it gets patched sooner rather than later.

Moogle11

Banned
Yeah, they really need to add in the ability to offload. I don't want to have to delete and redownload things since I'm stuck with a data cap with the only broadband provider in my neighborhood (Xfinity).

Not really a big deal for me personally at/near launch as Borderlands 3 will be the only long term pay, space hogging game. The rest are beat, delete and sell the physical copy games for me. But will be an issue overtime for sure.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Huge oversight, as several people on here already purchased nvme drives or external drives in hopes of either working for launch. They definitely should have handled this better.
Check out the tweets I just posted where Keighley replies to people asking for verification.

I bet he knew the whole time, but kept his mouth shut.

Banned
yikes... that is a huge oversight IMO.

the PS4 also launched with bad external usb support, so I expect this to be patched in sooner or later, the question is tho how long it will take

Rob_27

This stuff will come later. Still shit.

Wasn't it the same with CDs on one console previously or something stupid.

BuntesFeuer

Neo Member
Well, it shouldn’t be that much of a deal. Even though Playstation actually has some PS5 exclusive games i can’t imagine the internal ssd will fill up before there is an alternative solution (either cold storage of PS5 games via software update or compatible drives for the expansion port).

Moogle11

Banned
Hopefully just an update away. No reason not to allow cold storage.

That's my thought and hope. Maybe since PS4 games are playable while stored on an external drive they are still working on OS side issues to have the PS5 games stored but not playable.

Seems like something that should have been able to be sorted and ready for launch in any case, but I can deal with it as long as it gets patched in. As I said above, Borderlands 3 is the only space hogging, long-term play game I'll have installed for a good while. Everything in the launch window that interests me is beat, delete and sell off single player games. So I won't have space issues for a while.

As somebody who has the Digital Edition on preorder, a little disappointing but the system is mainly for exclusives so as long as it fits Demon's Souls, Sackboy and Spiderman MM, I should be fine.

LordOfChaos

It probably doesn't make any difference which edition you have. Disc based games still need to be installed to the internal storage before you can play them.

And usually when you insert the disk on a patched game, it's really just downloading the latest patched version anyways.

I'm already planning on purchasing an expansion SSD down the road, so long-term I don't really care for the feature. That said, more options to avoid having to redownload games due to space restrictions is a good thing, IMO.

Dnice123

That's something. I can kind of understand PS5 games on external HDD not being ready, but why wouldn't they have the ability to install SSDs ready? I wanted to pick up a DE PS5, but I'll wait for official confirmation from Sony when these features are coming.

bender

What time is it?
CERRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYY!

Disappointing but I'm sure they'll allow archiving in a future update.

TLZ

Banned
Who in their right mind wants to use an external HDD now? It's really slow. External SSDs are cheaper nowadays. Better get yourself one for both PS4 games and PS5 swapping.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hopefully they patch this is on the soon side. Could have sworn this was hinted at or talked about very early on in the PS5 reveal. Cold storage swapping for PS5 games.

I'm really trying to force myself to PS5 purchase over XSX.

No 1440p support
No freesync
No external PS5 games support
No quick resume
Slower BC SSD speeds
Much slower resume boot

I'm ready to switch to Xbox ecosystem at this point.

Sony seems very unprepared in a lot of areas. Keeping so much close to their chest didn't help things.

PSYGN

I'm really trying to force myself to PS5 purchase over XSX.

No 1440p support
No freesync
No external PS5 games support
No quick resume
Slower BC SSD speeds
Much slower resume boot

I'm ready to switch to Xbox ecosystem at this point.

Sony seems very unprepared in a lot of areas. Keeping so much close to their chest didn't help things.

I'm going to get the PS5 first but as a NON-fanboy of either, XSX came better prepared.

Top Bottom