• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Doesn't Feature Xbox Series X/S-Style Quick Resume Game Swapping (Gamespot)

Has Sony revealed if the Activities Card feature saves your current point in the game or do you have to access one of the game’s save points?

Sg143fV.jpg

Lots of people?

I usually have somewhere between 4-6 games I'm juggling at once, so I can keep things consistently fresh and interesting. Though, not always on the same system these days.

I see. I thought I was in the minority because I sometimes juggle multiple games as well. Didn’t know that really appealed to casual gamers. It does seems like a cool and convenient feature to have especially if you juggle multiple games though.

Kokoloko85

Remember Bethesda was good before Microsoft bought them? They became instant trash after the news.

I think you should check this thread out Before you think its a fanboy thing lol.
Bethesda has been going downhill for awhile and thats before MS bought them. They are one of the most mentioned studios in this thread

Kokoloko85

Is this really a deal breaker for some of you? Considering just how impressively quick the cold boot loading times already are on PS5?

It's an awesome feature and shame it's not available, but it's also very plausible it could become a feature at a later point through firmware update.

Not a deal breaker at all. Just a cool feature I would of liked.

People need to chill on it being a victory lol. Maybe because they have nothing else to celebrate... maybe because they have the first console with no exclusive launch titles they have to celebrate something I guess... :p

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
its a cool feature but im almost glad its not there after seeing the paltry 666 gb of ssd space left for games. this would likley use another 50 gigs or so. no thanks.

it looks like games load insanely fast on the ps5 anyway so if spiderman can load in under ten seconds then thats ok. though it wouldve been better to leave where you left off.

zcaa0g

Banned
After

12tf
Most powerful console
Halo infinite best looking game ever
Bc is king on xbox
Only xbox does RT
Only Xbox has RDNA2

It's now coming down a pretty pointless feature in the realms of consoles as the defining factor to buy an XSX?

These mother fucking new consoles have SSDs that reduce load times and lazy cunts can't be arsed to wait between closing a game and opening a new one?

Jesus christ.

They're just game consoles. Seek help.

Shmunter

Quick resume is going to be a Godsend for me. No more loading times for PUBG or Rocket League, I can just switch between them lightning fast. Plus I'm also always playing a single player game between my MP games.
I don’t think games like PubG or other multiplayer games qualify as good candidates for quick resume. Once you lose connection to the servers you’ll get dumped to the menu anyway.

Kokoloko85

its a cool feature but im almost glad its not there after seeing the paltry 666 gb of ssd space left for games. this would likley use another 50 gigs or so. no thanks.

it looks like games load insanely fast on the ps5 anyway so if spiderman can load in under ten seconds then thats ok. though it wouldve been better to leave where you left off.

Id like them to add the choice later.
Its more so it starts you off where you last stopped. No need for start screen, load game etc. But I think the PS5 UI cards are for new games like that anyway. Just not older titles. It was demo’d in the Sackboy UI thing

I don’t think games like PubG or other multiplayer games qualify as good candidates for quick resume. Once you lose connection to the servers you’ll get dumped to the menu anyway.
Yeah I was thinking about that after I posted. Still being in the main menu and just connecting to the server is faster that booting the game from scratch.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
GameSpot hasn't been respectable since about 2005, but they've fallen so far down the rabbit-hole of irrelevancy that they are resorting primarily to system wars/"shiny plastic box wars", buzzfeed-esque bullshit that it's quite embarrassing to behold.

Or is it more embarrassing that my NeoGaf brothers and sisters keep regurgitating their slop? Can't decide.

reinking

Gold Member
I think that is where Sony's card system will benefit. Didn't they say you can jump straight to the game type lobby you want to play?

Shmunter

I think that is where Sony's card system will benefit. Didn't they say you can jump straight to the game type lobby you want to play?
Yeah, card system for multiplayer will definitely have a QOL advantage. Can imagine jumping into matchmaking on desired mode will be instant directly from a card.

Games will also be able to promote multiplayer events right upfront on the cards, creating more fanfare and funnelling in users into e.g. Halloween specific mode in Warzone.

I appreciate what MS has done, but Sony’s approach has its specific strengths also. Your mileage will vary depending on the type of gamer you are.

FrankWza

Congratulations to all digital only gamers that play 5 single player games at once! I’m happy for all of you. Seriously, It’s a nice feature. Unfortunately for disc only gamers it will need to be renamed. It’s not quick resume. It’s extended pause. Or game waiting.

Barakov

I'm just laying this out there : Quick Resume is bullshit and a nothing burger. There's no need to switch between 5 different games. This is a solution to a first world problem that doesn't exist. This is not the reason to get excited for these new consoles. EsEsDee, bettah grahpix and MOAR processing powah is. Quick resume is nice to have feature for crazy people that want swap between multiple games. Sure it's novel but it's not the reason you pick up one console over the other.

Honestly, I would have loved a "Quick Resume" on the PS5. But with the PS5 starting out with a hard drive deficit circa 165GB, I'm glad that it doesn't have the quick resume feature taking up valuable HD real estate.

rapid32.5

Sounds like something MS would patent for themselves as an exclusive feature. Since there are no exclusive games, they will have 5 available on launch day.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm just laying this out there : Quick Resume is bullshit and a nothing burger. There's no need to switch between 5 different games. This is a solution to a first world problem that doesn't exist. This is not the reason to get excited for these new consoles. EsEsDee, bettah grahpix and MOAR processing powah is. Quick resume is nice to have feature for crazy people that want swap between multiple games. Sure it's novel but it's not the reason you pick up one console over the other.
How about for games where the gamers doesn't want to force themselves to the next check point, or you're in the middle of a FIFA game and don't want to play to the end to save the game file?

sainraja

Cold boot has nothing to do with why this is a great feature.

I don't care how quickly a game boots, I care about being able to turn off a game at literally any time without having to worry about save points or anything like that, and being able to come back directly to that exact second later on. That's a huge feature. Cold boot being fast is irrelevant. You'll still have to re-do that entire mission that you were at the end of without quick resume. You'll still have to start that boss fight again without quick resume.

Fast cold boot != quick resume.

PS4 also lets you return to a game at literally any time so that part you are still going to be able to do on the PS5; just not with 5 other games.

iJudged

Banned
After

12tf
Most powerful console
Halo infinite best looking game ever
Bc is king on xbox
Only xbox does RT
Only Xbox has RDNA2

It's now coming down a pretty pointless feature in the realms of consoles as the defining factor to buy an XSX?

These mother fucking new consoles have SSDs that reduce load times and lazy cunts can't be arsed to wait between closing a game and opening a new one?

Jesus christ.
you have to admit tho, that quick resume is pretty cool

Concern

It'll most likely be patched in. It seems when they redo the ui they have to start from scratch with the features just like Ps4 did.

While I like quick resume. My disappointment is no shareplay.

MrFunSocks

Banned
PS4 also lets you return to a game at literally any time so that part you are still going to be able to do on the PS5; just not with 5 other games.
You mean the last game that you played? Yes, but that's not what we're talking about lol. On the Xbox you could have 5 separate games all open on their menus and switch between them.

And you'll be kicked to the main menu
Depends on the game and how they handle online connections actually. Even then, quick resuming the main menu then clicking the mode you want to play is still going to be faster than the PS5 cards solution, if devs even do it.

you have to admit tho, that quick resume is pretty cool
Lots of people are doing their best to try not to admit it.

Last edited:
You mean the last game that you played? Yes, but that's not what we're talking about lol. On the Xbox you could have 5 separate games all open on their menus and switch between them.

Depends on the game and how they handle online connections actually. Even then, quick resuming the main menu then clicking the mode you want to play is still going to be faster than the PS5 cards solution, if devs even do it.

I don't think i've ever played a multiplayer games that's not just kicked me outright back to the menu when I lose connection

Maybe it'll be a few seconds faster, but you can do this for every game you have installed compared to the 4 or 5 limit for QR, and that's assuming it's not already being taken up by any SP games

And yes I'd wager devs will implement it since it shouldn't even be difficult in the first place and it's a way to push engagement

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Honestly I blame 343, Microsoft should’ve keep a close eye on Halo, if that game actually looked better, an ran at 60FPS for online. I would say the series X is a much better buy than the PS5. Sigh Microsoft...

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't think i've ever played a multiplayer games that's not just kicked me outright back to the menu when I lose connection

Maybe it'll be a few seconds faster, but you can do this for every game you have installed compared to the 4 or 5 limit for QR, and that's assuming it's not already being taken up by any SP games

And yes I'd wager devs will implement it since it shouldn't even be difficult in the first place and it's a way to push engagement
Having shortcuts to go straight to multiplayer doesn't push engagement. Having ads to things in multiplayer, like someone suggested, might........thought I thought this forum despised ads in games and consoles?

Having shortcuts to go straight to multiplayer doesn't push engagement. Having ads to things in multiplayer, like someone suggested, might........thought I thought this forum despised ads in games and consoles?

You don't believe giving your players the option to jump straight into the game from the UI will push engagement?

Think about that for a second

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
You don't believe giving your players the option to jump straight into the game from the UI will push engagement?

Think about that for a second
No, because it still takes them to a menu in the game. People aren't going to be scrolling through their games and go "oh boy I can jump straight to the multiplayer mode page from a cold boot, I'd better play that game!" lol. You can't "jump straight into the game", you'll jump straight into a menu that's 1-2 clicks deeper in the menus than usual.

Team Blue fans are seriously trying to over sell a bunch of shortcuts that most devs likely won't even implement. Like just think about it - what cards do you think a game like TLOU2 might have? Or Spider-Man? The ability to go back and play previous missions or "levels" of a narrative driven single player game? Who really cares about that? Games like Astro have them for each level because it's not a story driven game, it's a showcase for the consoles features.

Last edited:
No, because it still takes them to a menu in the game. People aren't going to be scrolling through their games and go "oh boy I can jump straight to the multiplayer mode page from a cold boot, I'd better play that game!" lol.

It could jump them straight into a lobby. Not just the menu.

So, you can skip the splash screens, skip all the navigation, and instead just jump straight into a match

Yes that will push engagement. Just take of your fanboy goggles for a second and you'll understand how much more that will actually motivate people to engage with a game

Last edited:

Shmunter

No, because it still takes them to a menu in the game. People aren't going to be scrolling through their games and go "oh boy I can jump straight to the multiplayer mode page from a cold boot, I'd better play that game!" lol. You can't "jump straight into the game", you'll jump straight into a menu that's 1-2 clicks deeper in the menus than usual.

Team Blue fans are seriously trying to over sell a bunch of shortcuts that most devs likely won't even implement. Like just think about it - what cards do you think a game like TLOU2 might have? Or Spider-Man? The ability to go back and play previous missions or "levels" of a narrative driven single player game? Who really cares about that? Games like Astro have them for each level because it's not a story driven game, it's a showcase for the consoles features.
Why menu? If you select Team Deathmatch card, I would assume it would go directly to matchmaking Team Deathmatch for you, otherwise it's nonsense.

Edit: poster above explained it more thoroughly

Last edited:
Top Bottom